• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Uh oh. 91 is butthurt over a slight against Ras again...

You also said this a few days ago...

So, which is it?

Um because he was constantly injured for two straight seasons, finally got healthy last season, and put up great numbers in the AHL (25 points in 32 games) and NHL (7 points in 10 games) as a 20 year old... He's three months older than Zadina, who most (outside of two people) think is going to be a legit top six, likely top line winger...

Better question, how is it that you don't think that qualifies as finally emerging?

Since when is saying "likely", "sealing one's fate"?... I don't think Rasmussen will be anything more than a 2nd line winger / 3rd line center. I think Vilardi could be a top line winger / 2nd line center.

In hindsight, Rasmussen playing in the NHL was probably a mistake. He probably would have benefitted more spending another season dominating the WHL.

Vilardi was also (more so) riddled with injuries. If it weren't for all his set backs, he might have played this past season in the NHL. Who knows...

That Blue Adams tribute line up had me as the back up goalie. It was a lil facetious. 

Rasmussen was on a ******* giant rip in the AHL too. Until he got hurt. So if you're citing injuries as a thing with Vilardi.......

Also, Rasmussen's two way game is going to make him a winner. Vilardi's the second coming of Kyle Wellwood. But you already have your mind made up, so let the confirmation bias rollllll. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

That Blue Adams tribute line up had me as the back up goalie. It was a lil facetious. 

Rasmussen was on a ******* giant rip in the AHL too. Until he got hurt. So if you're citing injuries as a thing with Vilardi.......

Also, Rasmussen's two way game is going to make him a winner. Vilardi's the second coming of Kyle Wellwood. But you already have your mind made up, so let the confirmation bias rollllll. 

So do you still think Rasmussen tops out as a 4th line center?

12 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

“Moritz had a real good year in Grand Rapids,” Yzerman said in his Zoom call following the June 26 draft lottery. “He will get an opportunity, whenever our season kicks off. He will get an opportunity to show he is ready to play. If he is ready to go, he will play. If not, he will spend a little more time in the American Hockey League. But he had a very good year and it’s encouraging to see the things that he did in his development.”

Ihttps://eu.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2020/06/30/detroit-red-wings-moritz-seider-steve-yzerman/3278328001/

I am happy to tell you it looks like we can pencil him in the line-up next season opener. Whenever that is.

Thanks for the linkage. Not sure it really tells us anything tho.

12 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

PS, I still listen to that album regurarly.

Clarity, Bleed American, Futures was such a great run of albums. Damn.

Ok, fellas, it's time to get back on the Soul Cole Train!

Here's an article, for those of you that got a subscription atleast, from the Athletic telling us why Stevie will pick Perfetti at 4.

https://theathletic.com/1904511/2020/07/02/the-red-wings-no-4-draft-pick-making-the-case-for-cole-perfetti/ 

After being cut from the WJC:

His first comment was how he’s going to come back and dominate the league,” Lazary recalled last week. “He was really motivated. So, to me, that told me everything I need to know about that player — that his mindset, his makeup as an athlete, it’s all about taking hardships and trying to turn them into positives and be elite. …

And really, he did. His game went through the roof. Our team, it’s no secret that our team, when he came back from that World Junior disappointment, exploded the rest of the way. And he was leading the charge.”

Why he can ba a difference -maker:

“His brain, his anticipation, his ability to just manipulate defenders — so not even read and react, like he manipulates what he wants to do,” Lazary said. “He sets defenders up into certain situations and just manipulates the scenario. So to me he’s the best player at that in the draft.”:

The guy is a leader:

One of his most significant “wow” moments this season came in late January, in a road game at Kingston. Saginaw was one of the top teams in the OHL, and Kingston was near the very bottom, yet the Frontenacs held a 4-0 lead on the Spirit early in the third period.

He stood up on the bench and was verbally getting into guys — in a good way, but challenging guys to be better — and like, we have 16 minutes to right the ship,” Lazary recalled.

Then, Perfetti went out and backed it up. His line scored five goals in the game’s final 16 minutes, with Perfetti scoring two of them himself and assisting on two more. Saginaw won, 5-4.

“I think that leadership moment where he was like, ‘There’s zero chance we’re losing this game’ — we always say he went blackout, like he went blackout and dominated for 16 minutes, and our team won the game.

One last thing, why he's a fit in Detroit:

“Because you’re going to be challenged in your rebuild, there’s going to be tough moments, and there’s going to be big games where you need character,” Lazary said. “And a guy like Cole Perfetti is somebody you can build your franchise on, because of who he is as a person and obviously his talent as a player.”

Edited by Akakabuto

Doesn't Dino Ciccarelli have some kind of ownership in the Saginaw Spirit? Or is it another team? I thought he and Shawn Burr had some sort of ownership with a Saginaw team...

Nevermind, looked them up....BUT both Chris Osgood and Jimmy D are partners with ownership of the team! So that may mean that Yzerman has had a better look at Perfetti than others.  Also a side note, Albin Grew will be a Spirit starting this season.

Who owns the rights to Ryan Suzuki? I would like to see him in our organization. He also plays for the Spirit.

Edited by LeftWinger

33 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Ok, fellas, it's time to get back on the Soul Cole Train!

Here's an article, for those of you that got a subscription atleast, from the Athletic telling us why Stevie will pick Perfetti at 4.

https://theathletic.com/1904511/2020/07/02/the-red-wings-no-4-draft-pick-making-the-case-for-cole-perfetti/ 

After being cut from the WJC:

His first comment was how he’s going to come back and dominate the league,” Lazary recalled last week. “He was really motivated. So, to me, that told me everything I need to know about that player — that his mindset, his makeup as an athlete, it’s all about taking hardships and trying to turn them into positives and be elite. …

And really, he did. His game went through the roof. Our team, it’s no secret that our team, when he came back from that World Junior disappointment, exploded the rest of the way. And he was leading the charge.”

Why he can ba a difference -maker:

“His brain, his anticipation, his ability to just manipulate defenders — so not even read and react, like he manipulates what he wants to do,” Lazary said. “He sets defenders up into certain situations and just manipulates the scenario. So to me he’s the best player at that in the draft.”:

The guy is a leader:

One of his most significant “wow” moments this season came in late January, in a road game at Kingston. Saginaw was one of the top teams in the OHL, and Kingston was near the very bottom, yet the Frontenacs held a 4-0 lead on the Spirit early in the third period.

He stood up on the bench and was verbally getting into guys — in a good way, but challenging guys to be better — and like, we have 16 minutes to right the ship,” Lazary recalled.

Then, Perfetti went out and backed it up. His line scored five goals in the game’s final 16 minutes, with Perfetti scoring two of them himself and assisting on two more. Saginaw won, 5-4.

“I think that leadership moment where he was like, ‘There’s zero chance we’re losing this game’ — we always say he went blackout, like he went blackout and dominated for 16 minutes, and our team won the game.

One last thing, why he's a fit in Detroit:

“Because you’re going to be challenged in your rebuild, there’s going to be tough moments, and there’s going to be big games where you need character,” Lazary said. “And a guy like Cole Perfetti is somebody you can build your franchise on, because of who he is as a person and obviously his talent as a player.”

This is all jibba jabba  , Post the raymond stuff 

18 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

This is all jibba jabba  , Post the raymond stuff 

Hey, don't get mad at me. I'm just prepearing you all for whats coming.

I can copy and send you the Raymond article and you can post stuff from it if you like. I didn't find any juicy stuff in it.

Edited by Akakabuto

9 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Hey, don't get mad at me. I'm just prepearing you all for whats coming.

I can copy and send you the Raymond article and you can post stuff from it if you like. I didn't find any juice stuff in it.

Lol im not mad was all jokes and im not worried about perfetti to wings rumors 

its all good

35 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Doesn't Dino Ciccarelli have some kind of ownership in the Saginaw Spirit? Or is it another team? I thought he and Shawn Burr had some sort of ownership with a Saginaw team...

Nevermind, looked them up....BUT both Chris Osgood and Jimmy D are partners with ownership of the team! So that may mean that Yzerman has had a better look at Perfetti than others.  Also a side note, Albin Grew will be a Spirit starting this season.

Who owns the rights to Ryan Suzuki? I would like to see him in our organization. He also plays for the Spirit.

People may interpret this a a good thing but for me it's a huge RED flag...  it screams late 90's/2000's Oliers good old boys club to me.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:27 AM, mackel said:

Realistically, we're in a bad spot...  in our division, Boston, TB and Toronto are all good teams and will be for 5ish more years...  Ottawa already has a better group of prospects than we do AND will add 2 really good ones this draft.  Now if the NHL completes part 2 of the rigged draft and Lafreniere ends up on a team in our division we're really f***ed.

I'm predicting that (some of) our prospects become our new core and that (most of) of our current core ie. Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzz, Fabbri etc. are traded in a rebuild reset.  I think this process got a minimum of 3 years longer and maybe 5+ years longer if Lafreniere ends up with Montreal, Florida, Toronto, etc

I wouldn't worry too much about intra-division competition. As with any division, the Atlantic will always have some dominant teams, some middling teams, and some bad teams. Some Atlantic teams will overachieve, some will underachieve, some will perform exactly as expected. The perceived hierarchy will always be fluid, will never be set in stone. For example: Boston is a top team right now, sure, but Chara is 43, Bergeron is 34, Krejci is 34, Marchand is 32, Rask is 32, and Krug is possibly on the way out.

If Lafreniere lands with an Atlantic team, I'm going to be more annoyed than worried. You always have to assume that there are going to be multiple recent 1st and 2nd overall picks in your division -- and if you're a Wings fan, you always have to assume that not a single one of them will be on your team. I was hoping this draft would end the trend and I'm low-key devastated that it didn't. But I don't think this lotto outcome has really hurt us. It just didn't really help us the way we were hoping it would. We could've gotten a big shot in the arm, but we didn't. So, our status quo reality is unchanged.

I'm sure Yzerman will turn this thing around. What's killing my HYPE! is the likely timeline. I can't do another three years of this. The universe has to give me a reason to remain as dialed-in as I've been. I'm tired of talking myself into being emotionally invested. Show me something.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, The 91 of Ryans said:

And I think the gap between Lafreniere and Raymond/Perfetii/Rossi isn't as wide as some people have been (hyping) saying.

Well, now that we know we're not getting Lafreniere, we're free to talk s*** about him.

Bob McKenzie said he's not viewed as a generational talent and he's not necessarily even considered a sure-thing franchise player. His floor is tremendous; he's a top-line NHL winger *right now*. No one in this draft class is anywhere near as NHL-ready as he is. No one else in this draft class is a solid top-line NHLer right now.

HOWEVER, I've always said there's a decent chance that someone else in this draft class -- someone outside the top three -- ends up being a better NHLer. We have to identify that player. I hope there's someone that Yzerman and his people are in love with in the same way that the Canucks people were in love with Pettersson, and I hope we get that player, and I hope he's as good as Pettersson.

Raymond might fit the 2017 Pettersson profile the best.

For what it's worth...

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I wouldn't worry too much about intra-division competition. As with any division, the Atlantic will always have some dominant teams, some middling teams, and some bad teams. Some Atlantic teams will overachieve, some will underachieve, some will perform exactly as expected. The perceived hierarchy will always be fluid, will never be set in stone. For example: Boston is a top team right now, sure, but Chara is 43, Bergeron is 34, Krejci is 34, Marchand is 32, Rask is 32, and Krug is possibly on the way out.

If Lafreniere lands with an Atlantic team, I'm going to be more annoyed than worried. You always have to assume that there are going to be multiple recent 1st and 2nd overall picks in your division -- and if you're a Wings fan, you always have to assume that not a single one of them will be on your team. I was hoping this draft would end the trend and I'm low-key devastated that it didn't. But I don't think this lotto outcome has really hurt us. It just didn't really help us the way we were hoping it would. We could've gotten a big shot in the arm, but we didn't. So, our status quo reality is unchanged.

I'm sure Yzerman will turn this thing around. What's killing my HYPE! is the likely timeline. I can't do another three years of this. The universe has to give me a reason to remain as dialed-in as I've been. I'm tired of talking myself into being emotionally invested. Show me something.

You're more positive than I am...  I think the drop to 4th has really hurt this franchise and IF that is combined with an already good team within our division getting the 1st pick that's going to really hurt.

IF Toronto gets that pick for example, it gets them out of cap hell... they get a star player on an ELC and can trade a player or two for futures, extending their window....  not to mention we play teams within our division 4 or 5 times a season.  Seeing Lafreniere in a visitor jersey 4 or 5 times a  season would be such a kick in the nuts. 

27 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Well, now that we know we're not getting Lafreniere, we're free to talk s*** about him.

Bob McKenzie said he's not viewed as a generational talent and he's not necessarily even considered a sure-thing franchise player. His floor is tremendous; he's a top-line NHL winger *right now*. No one in this draft class is anywhere near as NHL-ready as he is. No one else in this draft class is a solid top-line NHLer right now.

HOWEVER, I've always said there's a decent chance that someone else in this draft class -- someone outside the top three -- ends up being a better NHLer. We have to identify that player. I hope there's someone that Yzerman and his people are in love with in the same way that the Canucks people were in love with Pettersson, and I hope we get that player, and I hope he's as good as Pettersson.

Raymond might fit the 2017 Pettersson profile the best.

For what it's worth...

Raymond is who I've since hyped myself up for. He may not be ready as soon as some of the others, but his ceiling looks insanely high. Also, though not a huge deal, he's a righty. I want a high end righty forward. 

This is assuming Stutzle is already gone. 

55 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Raymond is who I've since hyped myself up for. He may not be ready as soon as some of the others, but his ceiling looks insanely high. Also, though not a huge deal, he's a righty. I want a high end righty forward. 

It's a very big deal. I'm not saying we should ever pick a player solely because of handedness, but it should definitely weigh in the final decision.

19 hours ago, mackel said:

You're more positive than I am...  I think the drop to 4th has really hurt this franchise and IF that is combined with an already good team within our division getting the 1st pick that's going to really hurt.

IF Toronto gets that pick for example, it gets them out of cap hell... they get a star player on an ELC and can trade a player or two for futures, extending their window....  not to mention we play teams within our division 4 or 5 times a season.  Seeing Lafreniere in a visitor jersey 4 or 5 times a  season would be such a kick in the nuts. 

I definitely don't want Lafreniere to end up in our division. I definitely don't want to play against him five times a season and hear Ken and Mick talk about what a remarkable young player he is five times a season. I definitely don't want him to be the one to put us away in a Game 7.

But, like I said, there's always going to be top talent in any and every division. The Atlantic already has a lot of players with good draft pedigree. Adding Lafreniere to the Atlantic mix might make things a bit harder for us, but so many things can and do change so much over the course of just a single year (never mind two or three or four or five) that I'm not going to assume things will go all-right for every Atlantic team not named the Detroit Red Wings for the next 4-8 years.

The lotto was only about a week ago and already there's bad news for some good teams and good news for us: The cap will be stuck at $81.5M for the next two seasons.

20 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Going into this season, some people thought Raymond might challenge Lafreniere for 1st overall.

https://hockeytroll.ca/2019/07/24/can-lucas-raymond-be-drafted-before-alexis-lafreniere-hell-be-fighting-for-a-spot-against-men-on-frolundas-shl-roster/

He didn't do that, but I've seen people making a case for him still being one of the heavyweights of this draft class.

6 hours ago, Wings3:16 said:

Lottery results still make me sick to my stomach thinking about it...but Raymond/Rossi/Perfetti getting so many great reviews lately is making it a bit easier

What I find interesting is just how many of us expected it...  not just that we would drop, but drop the max.  I was telling the guys at the golf course this would happen in early June and they thought I was nuts...  I handed out the "I told you so's" lol