• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

On 6/29/2020 at 10:34 PM, krsmith17 said:

It was a joke...

We were all hoping for the number one pick, to take Lafreniere. If not one, two or three to take Byfield or Stutzle. We dropped all the way to four, but I think there's a pretty good chance that we could still get our guy (Stutzle), if one of LA or Ottawa take Drysdale in the top three.

I'm hoping for Stutzle at 4, and Gunler at 32...

I'm hoping for one of Gunler, Lapierre, Peterka or Khusnutdinov if they fall to 32.   Seems like there's always a Veleno that drops. 

The other four picks between 50-65 are really interesting.   Some of the 35-45 ranked kids could fall into our lap for our late 2nd early 3rd picks.   I hope Stevie swings for the fences with four high upside players.   Can only hope for another Pavel or Hank clone.

29 minutes ago, town123 said:

I'm hoping for one of Gunler, Lapierre, Peterka or Khusnutdinov if they fall to 32.   Seems like there's always a Veleno that drops. 

The other four picks between 50-65 are really interesting.   Some of the 35-45 ranked kids could fall into our lap for our late 2nd early 3rd picks.   I hope Stevie swings for the fences with four high upside players.   Can only hope for another Pavel or Hank clone.

We have THREE 2nd round picks. Plus the first AND third picks in the 3rd round. Pretty much like having five 2nds! I think this is where Yzerman is gonna hit some grand slams!

#32, #54, #58, #63, #65.

Edited by LeftWinger

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

We have THREE 2nd round picks. Plus the first AND third picks in the 3rd round. Pretty much like having five 2nds! I think this is where Yzerman is gonna hit some grand slams!

#32, #54, #58, #63, #65.

That's one way of looking at it.   I'm really looking at 32 as a gift 1st rounder where someone will fall that you can really project as a top 6F or top 4D.

The four other picks look like all late 2nd rounders..... go Stevie Y!   

On 7/4/2020 at 11:03 AM, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I'm leaning Raymond at four, unless one of LA or Ottawa take Drysdale, and Stutzle drops to us...

In all seriousness, I think Ottawa should strongly consider taking Holtz and Raymond (aka the Terror Twins), especially if they buy the maybe-not-so-far-out-there idea that Raymond is capable of being a legit centerman at the NHL level.

As for the Wings? I don't have a strong preference. I guess I'd be happiest with one of Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Holtz, Sanderson. (I'm not a big fan of Perfetti's skating, but if Yzerman thinks it isn't a big deal, I'll back that pick.)

"Wait wait wait," says the downtrodden, disillusioned Red Wings fan. "Jake f***ing Sanderson at 4th overall? Seriously?"

Sure, why not.

Watch this clip...

...and read this piece...

https://dobberprospects.com/draft-class-deep-dive-lhd-jake-sanderson/

All-in-all, Sanderson is the total package. The young American blueliner may be the best transitional defenseman in this draft class. He may lack a bit of the dynamism and flash that come with a player like Drysdale but he is efficient and effective. He is a better player in his own zone and needs less work when it comes to structure in his game and strength on his frame. Sanderson has the size, speed, and skill to be a difference-maker at the next level in all three zones. If his offensive game plateaus as a 30-40 point defender, that will be more than enough as he is going to provide so much value in his own zone. When draft day arrives in October(?), Sanderson may end up hearing his name called whenever the first team decides to take a defenseman, a thought that would have been laughable in September.

...and try to tell me with a straight face that the thought of a Sanderson-Seider shutdown pairing doesn't make you wet.

If the Atlantic Division is an arms race and there's no way we're going to be able to match the firepower of Tampa or Toronto or Buffalo, then maybe Yzerman should be striving to build a blue-collar big chungus defensive battleship team that can jam teams up like the 2019 Blues did.

Point being: screw Lafreniere, screw Byfield, screw Stutzle, screw rankings, screw experts, screw bloggers, screw owners, screw Bettman, screw Crosby. The Wings are stuck in a maximum security prison; if they're going to escape, it won't be through the front door, in broad daylight.

19 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Point being: screw Lafreniere, screw Byfield, screw Stutzle, screw rankings, screw experts, screw bloggers, screw owners, screw Bettman, screw Crosby. The Wings are stuck in a maximum security prison; if they're going to escape, it won't be through the front door, in broad daylight.

escape from alcatraz | Tumblr

25 minutes ago, Dabura said:

As for the Wings? I don't have a strong preference. I guess I'd be happiest with one of Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Holtz, Sanderson. (I'm not a big fan of Perfetti's skating, but if Yzerman thinks it isn't a big deal, I'll back that pick.)

You're forgetting someone...

27 minutes ago, Dabura said:

You're going to want to take that back, when he drops to us at 4...

I wonder if the rumour last draft was true?   That Stevie Y had no takers to move back a few spots and still get Seider.   I wonder if he has a similar idea (if true) this time around, assuming none of the big 3 fall to #4?   

The Ducks have 6 , 31 and 36.  We could talk.

Jersey has 7 and 17.   We could talk.

Actually those would be a couple of good targets if moving back was in the cards.    Thoughts?  my bright and more knowledgeable new friends?

1 hour ago, town123 said:

I wonder if the rumour last draft was true?   That Stevie Y had no takers to move back a few spots and still get Seider.   I wonder if he has a similar idea (if true) this time around, assuming none of the big 3 fall to #4?   

Actually those would be a couple of good targets if moving back was in the cards.    Thoughts?  my bright and more knowledgeable new friends?

I don't think the Devils would trade 7 and 17, but the Ducks could be willing to trade 6 and 31, if they really want to get their guy at 4. I'd consider the Ducks trade, if there were multiple players I really like, and I'd definitely do the Devils trade. Getting another top 20 pick in this draft would be huge for the Red Wings.

I'm hoping Yzerman can weaponize some of that cap space before the draft, and acquire another late 1st round pick. Vancouver would be a prime candidate with Eriksson, but I don't think they have their 1st this year, do they?

22 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You're forgetting someone...

What's to stop Chris Chelios from Who, Stutzle? Nah, not forgetting him. Just setting my expectations at a realistic level so as to guard against heartbreak.

22 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You're going to want to take that back, when he drops to us at 4...

You are a pathological masochist and you need to get help, you absolute madman.

13 hours ago, town123 said:

I've always believed the narrative that Holland was eyeing Seider at 8th overall. I think that pretty much put the kibosh on any trade-down scenarios.

As for this draft...I'm not expecting Yzerman to trade down from 4, but it wouldn't shock me if he did. Devils? Ducks? Rangers? A cap crunch team?

Could 4OA (+) get us Sergachev (+)? Is that the best idea I've ever had or the worst idea I've ever had?

On 7/7/2020 at 9:46 AM, Dabura said:

In all seriousness, I think Ottawa should strongly consider taking Holtz and Raymond (aka the Terror Twins), especially if they buy the maybe-not-so-far-out-there idea that Raymond is capable of being a legit centerman at the NHL level.

"Wait wait wait," says the downtrodden, disillusioned Red Wings fan. "Jake f***ing Sanderson at 4th overall? Seriously?"

Sure, why not.

Watch this clip...

...and read this piece...

https://dobberprospects.com/draft-class-deep-dive-lhd-jake-sanderson/

...and try to tell me with a straight face that the thought of a Sanderson-Seider shutdown pairing doesn't make you wet.

If the Atlantic Division is an arms race and there's no way we're going to be able to match the firepower of Tampa or Toronto or Buffalo, then maybe Yzerman should be striving to build a blue-collar big chungus defensive battleship team that can jam teams up like the 2019 Blues did.

I personally think Drysdale would be a much better pairing for Seider. I think Seider is the type of dman you want to pair with someone who is high scoring. It would allow a kid like Drysdale to take more risks. Then having guys likme Drysdale and Hronek to quarter back each pp unit. That's what makes me randy. 

21 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think the Devils would trade 7 and 17, but the Ducks could be willing to trade 6 and 31, if they really want to get their guy at 4. I'd consider the Ducks trade, if there were multiple players I really like, and I'd definitely do the Devils trade. Getting another top 20 pick in this draft would be huge for the Red Wings.

I'm hoping Yzerman can weaponize some of that cap space before the draft, and acquire another late 1st round pick. Vancouver would be a prime candidate with Eriksson, but I don't think they have their 1st this year, do they?

Vancouver is the #17 Jersey pick.

Depends how bad Jersey wants the #4 this year.    4+31 = 7+17  ?  

Or we could think about VCR's 2021 1st rounder.   Assuming they stay around #17, we could end up with a top two - four pairing in a heavy defenseman draft.

3 minutes ago, town123 said:

Vancouver is the #17 Jersey pick.

Depends how bad Jersey wants the #4 this year.    4+31 = 7+17  ?  

Or we could think about VCR's 2021 1st rounder.   Assuming they stay around #17, we could end up with a top two - four pairing in a heavy defenseman draft.

I think the Vancouver pick is lottery protected... 

Well since we got screwed in 2020...

https://detroitsportsnation.com/2021-way-early-nhl-mock-draft-red-wings-selecting-no-1-ranked-prospect/apowell/detroit-red-wings-news/07/07/2020/228671/

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

What's to stop Chris Chelios from Who, Stutzle? Nah, not forgetting him. Just setting my expectations at a realistic level so as to guard against heartbreak.

You are a pathological masochist and you need to get help, you absolute madman.

I've always believed the narrative that Holland was eyeing Seider at 8th overall. I think that pretty much put the kibosh on any trade-down scenarios.

As for this draft...I'm not expecting Yzerman to trade down from 4, but it wouldn't shock me if he did. Devils? Ducks? Rangers? A cap crunch team?

Could 4OA (+) get us Sergachev (+)? Is that the best idea I've ever had or the worst idea I've ever had?

My bad.    somehow in my brain, EDM was picking 10th, so you're probably right with Holland snagging Seider at #8.   

If Kenny and SY talked and shared I can see the Seider connection.   If SY loves Sergachev then anything is possible.

6 minutes ago, mackel said:

Who is the 4th best prospect?    Just saying...lol.    

Seriously... could we get screwed 5 years in a row?

12 minutes ago, town123 said:

My bad.    somehow in my brain, EDM was picking 10th, so you're probably right with Holland snagging Seider at #8.   

If Kenny and SY talked and shared I can see the Seider connection.   If SY loves Sergachev then anything is possible.

With the current "leadership" in the NHL the Wings getting screwed is a foregone conclusion. 

23 hours ago, marcaractac said:

I personally think Drysdale would be a much better pairing for Seider. I think Seider is the type of dman you want to pair with someone who is high scoring. It would allow a kid like Drysdale to take more risks. Then having guys likme Drysdale and Hronek to quarter back each pp unit. That's what makes me randy. 

I agree. Basically I'm just making the point that the top of this draft class is so deep that taking a left-handed Seider at 4th overall would be considered a doomsday scenario by a lot of Wings fans. Could be that Sanderson -- who was really starting to come on late in the season -- would be a better fit for what Yzerman's trying to build.

15 hours ago, town123 said:

For what it's worth, 2021 is being billed as a relatively weak draft class. While that doesn't exactly boost my HYPE! levels, I think back to the last "relatively weak" draft class...

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2017e.html

36 minutes ago, Dabura said:

For what it's worth, 2021 is being billed as a relatively weak draft class. While that doesn't exactly boost my HYPE! levels, I think back to the last "relatively weak" draft class...

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2017e.html

Funny how Morgan Frost could be the better player out of Philadelphias picks. 

I know it will be unlikely to get him... but it´s the channel Draft dynasty which is very interesting. He´s doing some proper evaluation of pretty much all possible 1st round picks, comparing and ranking them. I just watched 1,5 hours of his reviews...