• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

51 minutes ago, Oldtimehockey97 said:

i don’t think we take Drysdale due to taking Seider last year and the elite D available next year. 

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. I also don't think Drysdale has the same elite upside as some of the other forwards available in this draft. If Yzerman does see him as BPA though, I'd be okay with the pick.

58 minutes ago, Oldtimehockey97 said:

Sanderson would be solid but to high a pick at 4.

There are quite a few people that have Sanderson jumping over Drysdale in their final rankings. And to be honest, I can see it. Not saying he will be as good as Heiskanen, but the similarities are there. I probably have as much confidence in Sanderson reaching that sort of ceiling, as I do Drysdale reaching a Makar level ceiling...

53 minutes ago, Oldtimehockey97 said:

I really want Perfetti to be elite but can’t help but think he won’t pan out. 

There's concern there for sure, but no more than with any of the other top guys available in my opinion. I'd be more than okay with Perfetti.

54 minutes ago, Oldtimehockey97 said:

I’d also consider Holtz but we already have Zadina.

Sure, we have Zadina, but we don't have a single right-handed forward in the system. Holtz would definitely fill a huge hole. Zadina has an elite shot, but Holtz' shot may even be better. Having that sort of fire power on both sides of the ice, would be lethal. I think adding a player like Holtz would give us a top ranked power-play in a few years. 

So yeah, there are a number of picks I'd be more than okay with in this draft. I want Yzerman to select who he believes is best player available, but my personal preference would be one of the big two, if they drop, or Raymond. 

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. I also don't think Drysdale has the same elite upside as some of the other forwards available in this draft. If Yzerman does see him as BPA though, I'd be okay with the pick.

There are quite a few people that have Sanderson jumping over Drysdale in their final rankings. And to be honest, I can see it. Not saying he will be as good as Heiskanen, but the similarities are there. I probably have as much confidence in Sanderson reaching that sort of ceiling, as I do Drysdale reaching a Makar level ceiling...

There's concern there for sure, but no more than with any of the other top guys available in my opinion. I'd be more than okay with Perfetti.

Sure, we have Zadina, but we don't have a single right-handed forward in the system. Holtz would definitely fill a huge hole. Zadina has an elite shot, but Holtz' shot may even be better. Having that sort of fire power on both sides of the ice, would be lethal. I think adding a player like Holtz would give us a top ranked power-play in a few years. 

So yeah, there are a number of picks I'd be more than okay with in this draft. I want Yzerman to select who he believes is best player available, but my personal preference would be one of the big two, if they drop, or Raymond. 

Good points. I totally forgot Holtz was a righty. Zadina and Holtz would indeed be a lethal combo. Whatever player Stevie picks is good with me, and I want them to suceed.

the one thing I think they need more than anything is at least one genuine franchise player. Yes we can win without but having one to build around is the best foundation imo.

10 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Dont Mantha and Zadina play the off wing tho? Where would you slot a RH scoring forward?

1 hour ago, mackel said:

I hope we use one of our 2nd rounders on Nico Daws, it would be nice to ad a quality goalie to the system. 

Better than using 4th on Askarov.

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Dont Mantha and Zadina play the off wing tho? Where would you slot a RH scoring forward?

Better than using 4th on Askarov.

Yea I don't think using a 2nd, not 32nd pick... on the projected 2nd best goalie in the draft is out of line.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Both Mantha and Zadina can play both wings... Pretty much any winger can play either side... 

39 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

They can, yes. But some scoring forwards prefer the off wing because of the favorable scoring angles. Not sure if that applies to Zadina or Mantha tho.

All forward positions are so fluid nowadays, I don't think it matters too much. I'm sure one of Mantha, Zadina or Holtz (in this case) course play the left side... Regardless if they're on their "strong" or "weak" side, this team desperately needs to add a couple high-end right-handed forwards. 

The Kings have acquired Maata from the Hawks to address a bit of their D needs.  I still wouldn't be surprised if they take Drysdale at #2. They have a more pressing need for D than C. I know how BPA works, but sometimes teams do draft per need. I think Drysdale is top 5 (outside of #1) anyhow, so they really wouldn't be doing themselves wrong by taking him at #2. With all the talk of Stutzle and Byfield going 2 and 3, I am actually warming up to the idea of either Drysdale or Askarov at #4. Would Perfetti or Rossi really be that much of a BPA in that spot or are they all pretty much equal when it comes to 4th?

Damn I'd LOVE to acquire another top 10 pick.... Ottawa is setup perfectly. If we could get a D and a C in the top 10, damn....I'll say it again, damn!

1 hour ago, kliq said:

The more and more I read, the more and more I'm intrigued by Sanderson. Juts read a Sportsnet article and they have him at #4.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sportsnets-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-final-edition/

I dont know too much about him, can he play opposite of Seider? Or do they play the same side?

If they're going D, I would prefer a lefty.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

The Kings have acquired Maata from the Hawks to address a bit of their D needs.  I still wouldn't be surprised if they take Drysdale at #2. They have a more pressing need for D than C. I know how BPA works, but sometimes teams do draft per need. I think Drysdale is top 5 (outside of #1) anyhow, so they really wouldn't be doing themselves wrong by taking him at #2. With all the talk of Stutzle and Byfield going 2 and 3, I am actually warming up to the idea of either Drysdale or Askarov at #4. Would Perfetti or Rossi really be that much of a BPA in that spot or are they all pretty much equal when it comes to 4th?

Damn I'd LOVE to acquire another top 10 pick.... Ottawa is setup perfectly. If we could get a D and a C in the top 10, damn....I'll say it again, damn!

This is why I suspect the chances of Wings getting Stutzle or Byfield are done. LAK now less likely to draft Drysdale with that trade. Ottawa can afford to take the remaining F with their first pick since they're guaranteed one of Drysdale or Sanderson with their 2nd.

12 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If they're going D, I would prefer a lefty.

This is why I suspect the chances of Wings getting Stutzle or Byfield are done. LAK now less likely to draft Drysdale with that trade. Ottawa can afford to take the remaining F with their first pick since they're guaranteed one of Drysdale or Sanderson with their 2nd.

If the Kings ever considered to draft Drysdale the trade for Olli Määtä wouldn’t sway them from that. He’s a third pair defenseman. 

Honestly, I was reading up on Askarov and scouts are saying he should turn out better than Vasilevskiy. I am thinking Yzerman snags him at #4. Just a weird feeling. If he is the best G prospect since Price, I can't see Yzerman letting him get away. He'll address the other needs later. The next G ranked is at #83, Joel Blomqvist. Best case scenario is he trades for another top 10 pick, drafts Askarov at 4 and then hopes that one of Drysdale or Sanderson is there. You build from the net out, right? If Askarov is a franchise goalie, then why not take him? Yzerman should have Fedorov there with him to make the draft call....in Russian!

Edited by LeftWinger

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Honestly, I was reading up on Askarov and scouts are saying he should turn out better than Vasilevskiy. I am thinking Yzerman snags him at #4. Just a weird feeling.

I hope not...

If he is the best G prospect since Price, I can't see Yzerman letting him get away.

He should, just like the next 10 general managers drafting after Yzerman should.

He'll address the other needs later. 

The "other needs" should be first priority.

The next G ranked is at #83, Joel Blomqvist. 

Try to get Blomqvist in the 3rd round. Adding him, along with Larsson, Brattstrom, Eliasson, Petruzzelli and Gylander, I'm sure one would turn out to be an NHL quality starter.

Best case scenario is he trades for another top 10 pick, drafts Askarov at 4 and then hopes that one of Drysdale or Sanderson is there.

This would be worst case scenario for me. If we had two top 10 picks, and didn't take a single one of the elite forward prospects, it would be a massive fail in my opinion.

You build from the net out, right? 

No. This is an old and outdated hockeyism. Build up an elite core of forwards and defensemen, and add a capable goaltender.

If Askarov is a franchise goalie, then why not take him?

Because there are better forwards and defensemen available. Because forwards and defensemen are easier to project. Because goaltenders are a complete crap shoot to project. Because it's much easier to find an elite goaltender beyond the 1st round, than it is to find an elite skater. Because forwards and defensemen have more of an impact on the game, over an 82 game season and playoffs. Because a team needs 12 forwards, 6 defensemen and only 1 goaltender. etc, etc, etc...

Yzerman should have Fedorov there with him to make the draft call....in Russian!

Or have Hakan Andersson there to make the pick (Raymond)...

28 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Wouldn't mind using one of our late round picks on Draper's kid, Kienan.

Let's go with Rossi at 4 and this kid in a later round to satisfy the connection with "past feels"....

5 hours ago, kliq said:

@krsmith17 Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Sanderson? If you already talked about this, my bad as I havent gone back through the entire thread. 

Sanderson is probably the prospect I know the least about in the top 10, but if Yzerman sees him as best player available, I'd be okay with the pick.

There's no one that I'd really be pissed about taking in the "top 10", just some (Stutzle / Raymond) that I'd prefer over others, and some (Askarov) I'd be a little more concerned about than others...

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

And you know the same people b***ing that we took Todd's nephew, would be doing the same if we took Kris' son, despite knowing absolutely nothing about the player...

Not the same as tyler , draper’s kid is ranked 186 north american skater . There’s a good chance he wont be drafted and we can just send him an invite . I’d be voting for that. We shouldnt just be drafting every kid who’s dad played for the wings

3 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Not the same as tyler , draper’s kid is ranked 186 north american skater . There’s a good chance he wont be drafted and we can just send him an invite . I’d be voting for that. We shouldnt just be drafting every kid who’s dad played for the wings

Just curious. When was the last time the Red Wings drafted a kid whose dad played for the Wings?