• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

Just now, xault said:

Khusnudtinov seems like a nice pick at 32.

Meh - those Russian goofs weren't available for the most part tonight.

Funny considering it's their ticket outta that crappy existence, and yet they're a no show - yet their western euro counterparts are up, and celebrating.

Western Euro > Eastern Euro

Let the 2nd coming of the Swede Mafia begin.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

William Wallinder, Noel Gunler, Helge Grans, Emil Andrae, JJ Peterka, Marat Khusnutdinov, Jan Mysak... a lot of talent to choose from...

Just Swedes only please ...

5 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Meh - those Russian goofs weren't available for the most part tonight.

Funny considering it's their ticket outta that crappy existence, and yet they're a no show - yet their western euro counterparts are up, and celebrating.

Western Euro > Eastern Euro

Let the 2nd coming of the Swede Mafia begin.

Just Swedes only please ...

Wallinder is it then! It's been said!

I didn't even know the draft was happening. lmfao

So it's Raymond, eh? Fine by me. If I'm not mistaken, he was on record saying being picked by the Wings would be extra special for him, or something to that effect. We finally get a kickass RH forward in the pipeline.

I think he could be a bit of a project. But we'll see. I'm satisfied.

7 minutes ago, Dabura said:

So it's Raymond, eh? Fine by me. If I'm not mistaken, he was on record saying being picked by the Wings would be extra special for him, or something to that effect. We finally get a kickass RH forward in the pipeline.

Join the discord.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Thought you got CoVid ir something

4 hours ago, CatBoyRossi said:

God we fed this draft bad. Praying for the secondary rounds. 

Nah man, we did good.

Kinda sucks that we didn't get another 1st, but it's not a big deal. I wasn't expecting it anyway.

As for the one selection we did make? Yzerman didn't overthink it, and I'm grateful for that. Raymond's easily the best prospect we've had in ages. He's played in an elite pro league as a 16- and 17-year-old. Despite the disappointing scoring stats this season, he played really good hockey as an SHLer. Against grown-ass professional players, he's solid. Against same-age peers, he's super dominant. (Which is why he's playing against men.) He would've dismantled CHL competition this season. Probably would've excelled in the DEL this season, possibly even more than Stutzle did. So, there's an argument to be made for Raymond being the true second-best player in this draft. His limited and limiting role on his SHL team might've done us a huge cosmic solid.

If he lives up to his potential, he's gonna be something like Panarin, Pastrnak, Marner, Barzal. And, IMO, there isn't really anything about him that suggests he won't hit those heights. Which, in theory, sets up a pretty nice top-six winger group in Raymond, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Zadina.

I think we're more or less set on the wing now, in terms of the rebuild harvest. The 2021 draft class is looking like it's gonna be defense-heavy at the top. So, we wrapped up our wing rebuild and in the next draft we can put a bow on our defense rebuild.

Welcome aboard, Swedebro!

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Thought you got CoVid ir something

Nope! Just garden variety apathy.

Raymond is a great talent and I am happy with the pick even though I am a bit dissapointed there wasn't a good enough center to be found in this draft for us.

And as a swede I'm happy with where Raymond and Holtz ended up. Holtz dodged the bullet with Ottawa(they did good with their picks) written on it. He will be awesome with Hughes and Hischier centering him in New Jersey.

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

Raymond is a great talent and I am happy with the pick even though I am a bit dissapointed there wasn't a good enough center to be found in this draft for us.

And as a swede I'm happy with where Raymond and Holtz ended up. Holtz dodged the bullet with Ottawa(they did good with their picks) written on it. He will be awesome with Hughes and Hischier centering him in New Jersey.

I'm not worried at all about drafting a winger over a center here. Always take best player available, and Raymond was that in my opinion. An elite winger can turn a very good center into an elite one. Raymond is a winger, but can drive play like a center. Absolutely love this pick.

Some combination of...

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha

Raymond - Veleno - Zadina

Fabbri - Rasmussen - Berggren

Svechnikov / Soderblom / Grewe / Mastrosimone

... has the potential to be a very good top 9.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not worried at all about drafting a winger over a center here. Always take best player available, and Raymond was that in my opinion. An elite winger can turn a very good center into an elite one. Raymond is a winger, but can drive play like a center. Absolutely love this pick.

Some combination of...

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha

Raymond - Veleno - Zadina

Fabbri - Rasmussen - Berggren

Svechnikov / Soderblom / Grewe / Mastrosimone

... has the potential to be a very good top 9.

I agree, you go for "bpa" this early in the first round. I also really like his ability to drive the play. We desperately need that type in our prospect pool.

Edited by Akakabuto

And this is f***en why i didnt want to trade our 2nd round pick ... were gonna get a stud at 32 and likely 45 as well 

Think we need more C’s so leaning towards khusnutdinov, think yzerman definetly likes him

also like peterka, a big scorer in colangelo, mysak

for 45  

niederbach,robbins,torgersson,wallander,jurmo,grans,gunlar,smilanic,andrae .... lots of options

man i have a feeling yzerman will trade back a few spots but if i could im trading 55&62 and trying to jump up to 40-43 and getting another kid and ending up with 4 top 45 picks

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

9 hours ago, xault said:

So what do we like at 32?

Was really hoping (but definitely not expecting) Hendrix Lapierre would fall to us, but I'm greedy when it comes to wings drafts. 

Noel Gunler or William Wallinder at 32 for me. 

I want offense as much as possible, whether it's a good shooter like Gunler or a guy who can transition to the offensive zone and make creative plays from the point like Wallinder. 

Go Swedish Mafia 2, i guess.  

There are a lot of solid options available, but I think I may be leaning Wallinder at 32... Big, mobile LHD. I also really like Gunler. He may be the biggest boom or bust available. Definitely has some flaws, which is why I doubt Yzerman takes him, but the upside could be huge...

3 minutes ago, amato said:

Noel Gunler or William Wallinder at 32 for me. 

I want offense as much as possible, whether it's a good shooter like Gunler or a guy who can transition to the offensive zone and make creative plays from the point like Wallinder. 

Go Swedish Mafia 2, i guess.  

LOL great minds think alike...

2 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Here me out. Yzerman didn't attend the draft due to quarantine. Leaving Draper to make the pick.

Is it possible... if even in theory, that Draper could have gone rogue and made his own selection?

No. No, that's not possible.

I'd like to think that all of Yzerman, Draper, Martin, Verbeek, Andersson, Kronwall, etc. were all on the same page, which is why they made the correct choice, taking the best player available, Lucas Raymond...

3 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Maybe Yzerman left Andersson in charge in his absence? He could've then instructed Draper to make the pick he wanted? Would be a sneaky way of making it publicly look like Drapers fault...

Pretty sure yzerman was in contact with them all night despite the black screen 

draper’s fault? Na we did the right pick imo and im glad hakan got a word in with steve and maybe pushed him towards raymond. Who would you trust more? Draper whos starting off, or the guy responsible for helping us win those cups with the drafts he had?

Poor guy was probably salivating at the thought of getting a top 5 pick #1 ranked swedish player

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

12 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

In theory I believe it's entirely possible.

Brian Lawton recently said on the NHL Network that at the 2009 draft his staff unanimously agreed they would take Matt Duchene. But he then went rogue and without telling them announced Victor Hedman. In hindsight it was a great move by Lawton, but I think that means its entirely possible Draper could've hijacked this pick.

Perfetti would've been picked had Draper hijacked the draft.

7 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Like I said... I could definitely see Yzerman leaving Andersson in charge. And then Andersson - salivating over a top ranked Swedish player - instructing Draper to go off the board and take Raymond.

I know he's the guy you wanted... but like you said Draper seemed not happy and strong armed into it.

Draper was likely just aware that his having to announce it was going to sting for someone. Probably was a bit awkward given all his personal ties to be the bearer of disappointing news. I am extremely skeptical of any suggestion that the management team wasn’t all on board with this.