• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Are we excited about the earlier ones? Raymond is fine, I guess, but who else blew your doors off?

Definitely excited about Raymond. WW is a highly ranked defender who fills our need at LHD. Niederbach looks good too(even better if he projects becoming a fulltime center).

I would not call it "blewing my door off" but no prospect in the post 1st round would do that.

Edited by Akakabuto

3 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Definitely excited about Raymond. WW is a highly ranked defender who fills our need at LHD. Niederbach looks good too(even better if he projects becoming a fulltime center).

Raymond is basically a Taylor Hall or a Tarasenko type. I mean, that's good and everything, but I don't think it's a franchise changer. Wallinder has questionable offense. Niederbach is a depth center. We need high end skill, and got one high end skill guy at a position of strength for us. I'm pretty disappointed in this draft. Also, continuously trading back completely negates the returns you got on your initial trades. If Yzerman had traded AA for two 3rds and two 4th everyone would be pissed. But trading back does essentially that. When you've got a bunch of picks, make them or trade up, not back.

10 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Are we excited about the earlier ones? Raymond is fine, I guess, but who else blew your doors off?

Well man, all I can say is that if you know which 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounders are the right picks, you're talent is being wasted in whatever bureaucratic smoke shack you find yourself in now. 

Raymond is basically a Taylor Hall or a Tarasenko type. I mean, that's good and everything, but I don't think it's a franchise changer. Wallinder has questionable offense. Niederbach is a depth center. We need high end skill, and got one high end skill guy at a position of strength for us. I'm pretty disappointed in this draft. Also, continuously trading back completely negates the returns you got on your initial trades. If Yzerman had traded AA for two 3rds and two 4th everyone would be pissed. But trading back does essentially that. When you've got a bunch of picks, make them or trade up, not back.

I mean, clearly the players Yzerman wanted at the picks he traded were either gone or would still be there for the higher of the two picks he got in return. Obviously when trading someone like AA you take the highest picks you can get. But at the draft table, s*** happens. If the guy you want projects to still be there in five picks, why not trade and add another later pick?

Edited by marcaractac

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

Also, continuously trading back completely negates the returns you got on your initial trades. If Yzerman had traded AA for two 3rds and two 4th everyone would be pissed. But trading back does essentially that. When you've got a bunch of picks, make them or trade up, not back.

We only dropped back like 5-6 spots on each trade, right? I don't think that negates the returns on these players.

But, in general, I think your right. With many picks go after what you think is the best player avaible.

If they can get the guys they want and pick up additional picks, what’s the problem?

Just now, The 91 of Ryans said:

Well man, all I can say is that if you know which 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounders are the right picks, you're talent is being wasted in whatever bureaucratic smoke shack you find yourself in now. 

Which is why you trade up and/or make your picks earlier in the rounds so you have as many options as possible. Trading back, both within the round as well as overall, takes away your choices and creates a situation were you both NEED a kid to pan out, and don't necessarily get the kids you want.

Yzerman himself talked about the need for 2nd and 3rd rounders to turn "into player". And then he went ahead and drafted at the ends of each of those rounds. Thus reducing the probability of success.

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

It's funny because I heard Point and Marner comparisons. 

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

I mean, clearly the players Yzerman wanted at the picks he traded were either gone or would still be there for the higher pick he got in return. Obviously when trading someone like AA you take the highest picks you can get. But at the draft table, s*** happens. If the guy you want projects to still be there in five picks, why not trade and add another later pick?

Mysak would have been nice and niederbach at 55 but nieerbach  was our guy and we got another pick and didnt want to risk him getting picked

cant complain

Which is why you trade up and/or make your picks earlier in the rounds so you have as many options as possible. Trading back, both within the round as well as overall, takes away your choices and creates a situation were you both NEED a kid to pan out, and don't necessarily get the kids you want.

Yzerman himself talked about the need for 2nd and 3rd rounders to turn "into player". And then he went ahead and drafted at the ends of each of those rounds. Thus reducing the probability of success.

He didn't reduce the probability of success if he got the players he wanted anyway. He simply added a couple extra picks to have a couple later cracks at the can. 

Id complain more at the 2 dmen who are projected bottom guys when we had some nice forwards on the board with some upside 

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

I mean, clearly the players Yzerman wanted at the picks he traded were either gone or would still be there for the higher of the two picks he got in return. Obviously when trading someone like AA you take the highest picks you can get. But at the draft table, s*** happens. If the guy you want projects to still be there in five picks, why not trade and add another later pick?

If the guy you wanted will still be there five picks later, and other guys won't, then maybe you want the wrong player?

Also, statistically the probability of success drops off significantly the later in the draft you go. So trading back, as a strategy, is not supported mathematically.

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Point is a center so I'm not sure how that comparison works. Raymond isn't. Marner is a reasonable comparison, though I don't think he's any better than Hall or Tarasenko. But sure, Marner it is. So we got a Mitch Marner type and a bunch of guys that lack offense. Cool. That'll definitely help a team that can't score and only has positional strength on the wing.

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Also Panarin. I like the Marner comp the most for what I've seen of Raymond. Not even close to a Hall or Tarasenko stylistically...