• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

If the guy you wanted will still be there five picks later, and other guys won't, then maybe you want the wrong player?

Also, statistically the probability of success drops off significantly the later in the draft you go. So trading back, as a strategy, is not supported mathematically.

Everyone values these players differently dude. Especially beyond the first round. Each teams list I can guarantee you varies by a LOT. Having the higher pick means nothing when the player you want will still be there in five picks. Or maybe you have a group of players deemed equal, and by process of elimination, at least one will still be there. 

I'd agree with you 100% if we were talking about a top 10 overall pick here, but we're talking about 2nd and third rounders. Some GMs will get it right. Most will be very wrong. Only time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If the guy you wanted will still be there five picks later, and other guys won't, then maybe you want the wrong player?

Also, statistically the probability of success drops off significantly the later in the draft you go. So trading back, as a strategy, is not supported mathematically.

Get back to me in 5-6 years on this. Until then, gotta trust that Steve and staff know best. I’m not concerned about these sorts of moves.

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Also Panarin. I like the Marner comp the most for what I've seen of Raymond. Not even close to a Hall or Tarasenko stylistically...

Yeah, the Marner comparison is good because they both also realize the game is still going on when you're not in the offensive zone. Wouldn;t be surprised to see the kid play on the PK when he is comfortable at the NHL level. Short-handed threat. 

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

LOL no team should have their own list... everyone should just go by the consensus pick...

I mean, it's too bad Yzerman didn't wrassle up another 1st in this draft but no one was able to make this happen. I suspect with a flat cap for the unforeseen future, teams are counting on high end prospects on entry level deals to fill out their rosters now more than ever. 

16 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

Get back to me in 5-6 years on this. Until then, gotta trust that Steve and staff know best. I’m not concerned about these sorts of moves.

Why would I trust that? Hockey executives back bad decisions, and lose their jobs because of it, all the time.

This draft is a carbon copy of the last one. One decent player and a bunch of depth guys.

The Senators drafted 3 times in the first round this year.  Six times in the first two rounds. The Devils drafted 3 times in the first round. The Rangers drafted twice in the first. All three of those teams are rebuilding, and in our conference.

If you're happy with drafting once in the first, and then crossing your fingers a hoping depth picks pan out then that's on you. But clearly there's another way to approach it. Give yourself more 1st and early 2nd round picks (and don't waste them on stay at home defensemen).

21 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I mean, it's too bad Yzerman didn't wrassle up another 1st in this draft but no one was able to make this happen. I suspect with a flat cap for the unforeseen future, teams are counting on high end prospects on entry level deals to fill out their rosters now more than ever. 

Tons of first round picks have been traded. Collectively Ottawa, NYR, and NJ picked 8 times in the first round of this years draft. San Jose got a 1st for Barclay Goodrow. I'm not sure how anyone can believe that 1st round picks weren't available.

Why would I trust that? Hockey executives back bad decisions, and lose their jobs because of it, all the time.

This draft is a carbon copy of the last one. One decent player and a bunch of depth guys.

The Senators drafted 3 times in the first round this year.  Six times in the first two rounds. The Devils drafted 3 times in the first round. The Rangers drafted twice in the first. All three of those teams are rebuilding, and in our conference.

If you're happy with drafting once in the first, and then crossing your fingers a hoping depth picks pan out then that's on you. But clearly there's another way to approach it. Give yourself more 1st and early 2nd round picks (and don't waste them on stay at home defensemen).

AMEN

I think this is an unfair assessment of Seider and Raymond.

And players outside of the first round all projects to be depth players really.

1 minute ago, Akakabuto said:

I'm using decent player term loosely. I think they're both really good players. I don't like that Raymond is a winger, but that's splitting hairs. They're going to be very good. The point isn't that they're good or bad, it's that they're not enough. You can't just draft once in the first and hope to get ahead. Yzerman said so himself. But instead of getting more top picks, he's adopted this "let's hope a 2nd or 3rd rounder becomes a player" approach. Problem is, A) he keeps trading back, reducing the likihood that will work, and B) he keeps picking non-skill guys with limited upside with those picks.

7 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Who knew picking outside of the first round could lead to a bunch of depth players.

2 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Been saying this all year. Move out some decent players for good draft picks. This team is made up of strictly losers anyway so who cares?

We have a ton of garbage , we have till 5 to qualify rfa’s sadly couldnt get a late pick for perlini haha

Edited by nyqvististhefuture