• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Been saying this all year. Move out some decent players for good draft picks. This team is made up of strictly losers anyway so who cares?

Or, instead of trading guys like AA for two 2nds (that you're then going to trade back on). Maybe trade him and your extra-2nd rounder for a first. Or trade Nyquist and a prospect for a better pick? I mean, teams do this stuff all the time. Instead, we take the most conservative approach possible. Never trade anyone good, stock up on mid-round picks, and then cross our fingers. Yzerman himself acknowledged that's not going to cut it. And then he went out and did EXACTLY that.

15 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Tons of first round picks have been traded. Collectively Ottawa, NYR, and NJ picked 8 times in the first round of this years draft. San Jose got a 1st for Barclay Goodrow. I'm not sure how anyone can believe that 1st round picks weren't available.

I was talking about the days leading up to the draft. Seriously man....

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

You can't just draft once in the first and hope to get ahead. Yzerman said so himself. But instead of getting more top picks, he's adopted this "let's hope a 2nd or 3rd rounder becomes a player" approach. Problem is, A) he keeps trading back, reducing the likihood that will work, and B) he keeps picking non-skill guys with limited upside with those picks.

I also hoped for higher upside in our later picks and I - like you - am not fond of the trading back. Not arguing you on that. I would have liked Yzerman to be more "aggressive". I obviously like WW and Niederbach more than you do though.

Just now, The 91 of Ryans said:

I was talking about the days leading up to the draft. Seriously man....

And I'm talking about managing a team 365 days a year. I realize no 1sts were trading in the days leading up to the draft. But if your GM is waiting until then to improve your team then he's a dumbf*ck.

3 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

The curse of settling for mediocrity. Either fire sale the whole team or go after Stamkos. Anything in between is fooling yourself.

If we destroyed the whole team now though it would be another 10 yrs lol we cant even win lottery drafts

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Or, instead of trading guys like AA for two 2nds (that you're then going to trade back on). Maybe trade him and your extra-2nd rounder for a first. Or trade Nyquist and a prospect for a better pick? I mean, teams do this stuff all the time. Instead, we take the most conservative approach possible. Never trade anyone good, stock up on mid-round picks, and then cross our fingers. Yzerman himself acknowledged that's not going to cut it. And then he went out and did EXACTLY that.

And if you want as many picks as possible don't trade them away for players like Erne...

1 minute ago, Akakabuto said:

I also hoped for higher upside in our later picks and I - like you - am not fond of the trading back. Not arguing you on that. I would have liked Yzerman to be more "aggressive". I obviously like WW and Niederbach more than you do though.

I'm sure they'll be fine. But we've got about 40 prospects that will be "fine" players. We need top of the lineup guys. And you're only finding them A) in the 1st round, or B) with high risk/high reward type picks. We consistently do neither of those things.

We don't have a top of the lineup offensive center. We don't have 1A defenseman who can score consistently and run a powerplay. We don't have a goalie who can win us games. We have some pretty good wingers, and a ton of good depth players. The three most important positions in hockey 1C, 1D, Goalie and we don't even bother trying to address those issues in a year where we have our highest pick in 30 years and all the draft capital you need to move up. 

Just another blah draft for a blah organization.

2 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

We got our goalie

jan bednar!

I got s*** for wanting to keep that pick lmao

I don't even remember my own reaction on that trade but if your are gonna trade back for more 4th round picks don't trade them away in the first place.

7 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

The curse of settling for mediocrity. Either fire sale the whole team or go after Stamkos. Anything in between is fooling yourself.

Exactly, by the time Raymond (who everyone says needs a few years to develop) is even on the team Mantha will be almost 30 and/or on another team. If we tank again this year (which we clearly are) and miss out on the top pick again (which we will) then how long before we draft a center that can push Larkin down to 2C like he should be? And how long before that draft pick even hits the team?

We have 3 glaring weaknesses, we didn't address any of them, and everyone (including Yzerman) says you can't get those players unless you draft them. And yet we draft a high end winger, and a bunch of depth players. Sweet.

Haven't been on here in a long time... Seems like whoever the Admins are now, don't want to respond to any messages to try and retrieve my old account. Anyway, reading through the responses in here from the "supposed experts" seems to suggest we've got a bunch of crybabies who know all. So... not much has changed, I guess. wah wah

7 minutes ago, xault said:

We started as friends with Raymond. We are now signing the divorce papers after page 92.

These super fans are unforgiving, huh?

1 minute ago, SwedeLundin said:

Haven't been on here in a long time... Seems like whoever the Admins are now, don't want to respond to any messages to try and retrieve my old account. Anyway, reading through the responses in here from the "supposed experts" seems to suggest we've got a bunch of crybabies who know all. So... not much has changed, I guess. wah wah

Yea, we don't really have admins around here. But we make a great pie!