• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, CatBoyRossi said:

I like Mantha's talent level but he's already outside of Raymond's window. Trade him for firsts so that Raymond can come up through this organization with other similar aged high end talent.

I was just looking up Ottawas picks. Having 2 picks in the top 5 is just stupid because of stupid San Jose. But they got the later 1st(+ a 2nd) from trading J-G Pageau. Mantha should bring in a bigger haul than that.

2 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

I don't think anyone in here have totally unreasonable tho? many legitimate reasons to be unhappy about or wanting more from this draft.

It's not about being disappointed in this pick or that pick, but more the response being pretty hollow in reasoning and being constructive with the conversation instead of a constant stream of whining. 

5 minutes ago, SwedeLundin said:

It's not about being disappointed in this pick or that pick, but more the response being pretty hollow in reasoning and being constructive with the conversation instead of a constant stream of whining. 

This is basically a GDT. Emotions are allowed I think.

Edited by Akakabuto

1 minute ago, Akakabuto said:

This is basically a GDT. Emotions is allowed I think.

Sure, be emotional, but at least put some effort into why instead of this ultra negative outlook on practically everything. Now we are starting to dismiss Larkin & Mantha... really? It just holds no water. One person whines about the Raymond pick and then today is now talking about trading Mantha to make room for Raymond? Well, which is it, because if you think Raymond is better than Mantha than it was a pretty damn good pick. 

1 minute ago, SwedeLundin said:

Sure, be emotional, but at least put some effort into why instead of this ultra negative outlook on practically everything. Now we are starting to dismiss Larkin & Mantha... really? It just holds no water. One person whines about the Raymond pick and then today is now talking about trading Mantha to make room for Raymond? Well, which is it, because if you think Raymond is better than Mantha than it was a pretty damn good pick. 

No it's not. Even if Raymond were Alex Ovechkin we still wouldn't win s*** without good centers, defensemen, and a goalie. We have no 1C, 1D, or quality goaltender and we're patting ourselves on the back because we got a guy like Mitch Marner? Sweet. Marner players with world class centers (something we don't have) but doesn't have decent defenseman or goaltending. Wanna know how that's working out for him? Not too good. Raymond's a good player. On a team with quality centers he'd be a fantastic pick. But our team has bigger needs than a Mitch Marner.

3 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Oh s*** boys we got a galaxy brain in here with us. Instead of refuting others he just complains that he doesn't like how they post.

Senchads make me seethe

Riiight...because that was the crux of my argument. I'm not surprised it went right over your head. I already refuted you. I'll let you get back to your "feelings" on how bad this team is being managed and developed. 

3 minutes ago, SwedeLundin said:

Well, the age gap of 8 years between players that are supposed to be a part of future core is a legitimate concern imho.

4 minutes ago, SwedeLundin said:

The point/concern about Mantha (and frankly Larkin and Bertuzzi) is valid I think.

We had a few down drafts between them and Seider and Raymond.  I think it would make plenty of sense to move one or two of those guys for high end futures.  I'd not just do it for fun or for something to do... BUT I'd think a first and two seconds would be a fair return that would realign our window.

Just now, kipwinger said:

No it's not. Even if Raymond were Alex Ovechkin we still wouldn't win s*** without good centers, defensemen, and a goalie. We have no 1C, 1D, or quality goaltender and we're patting ourselves on the back because we got a guy like Mitch Marner? Sweet. Marner players with world class centers (something we don't have) but doesn't have decent defenseman or goaltending. Wanna know how that's working out for him? Not too good. Raymond's a good player. On a team with quality centers he'd be a fantastic pick. But our team has bigger needs than a Mitch Marner.

Gotcha. So suddenly Larkin isn't a 1C? Interesting. Do you honestly think Rossi or Perfetti were going to be 1C talent? Undersized Centers are rarely 1C material. They'd have to be a generational talent to start. I get your argument, but we weren't in a position to draft a 1C this year. 

2 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

"There's too much whining in here"

Oh f*** how will I ever recover from those sick refutations?

Again, you missed the fact that I'm pretty sure you were crying about the Raymond pick earlier only to then say that we should trade Mantha because we now have Raymond. 

5 minutes ago, SwedeLundin said:

Gotcha. So suddenly Larkin isn't a 1C? Interesting. Do you honestly think Rossi or Perfetti were going to be 1C talent? Undersized Centers are rarely 1C material. They'd have to be a generational talent to start. I get your argument, but we weren't in a position to draft a 1C this year. 

Larkin isn't a top 1C. Sure he fills that position, decently well, but we're not winning s*** with Dylan Larkin matching up against guys like McDavid and Point and Eichel and Aho and Barzal. He's simply not good enough. He would, however, be an exceptionally good 2C and give us all sorts of matchup flexibility.

Assuming you won't believe Rossi or Perfetti were never going to grow another inch or gain another pound (which is absurd) then package Mantha or Hronek or all your 2nds or whatever with the 4th overall and move up and target Byfield or Stutzle. It's not that hard.

And if you can't do that. Draft a guys with 1D upside. And if you can't do that, draft Askarov. Any of which would have more meaningfully improved this team that drafting a top winger. And there's not any reason to think that Raymond will even be a top winger. He's not an Ovechkin or a Kane or some other surefire type prospect. He's not even a Laine. He wasn't even considered for a top three pick, and that's for a reason. So while I think he'll be pretty good, I doubt he'll be a franchise changer for us.

Edited by kipwinger

2 minutes ago, SwedeLundin said:

it's not sudden that he isn't a 1C it is what it is... a very good 2C but not a 1C.

Just now, kipwinger said:

Larkin isn't a top 1C. Sure he fills that position, decently well, but we're not winning s*** with Dylan Larkin matching up against guys like McDavid and Point and Eichel and Aho and Barzal. He's simply not good enough. He would, however, be an exceptionally good 2C and give us all sorts of matchup flexibility.

Sure, I get that. Again, there was no 1C talent available in this draft where we were picking.

1 minute ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Nah I said Raymond was a swedish mafia pick bro. You can't even keep up. Yzerman woulda picked Drysdale though if he coulda been there.

So now we are asserting that Yzerman had no control over the draft because he was on video conference instead of being in the "war room?" Please tell me you're not this foolish.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Domi got a 2 year $5.3M AAV. Could we possibly get Mantha that cheap?

On a shorter-term bridge deal, absolutely.

3 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Nah I said Raymond was a swedish mafia pick bro. You can't even keep up. Yzerman woulda picked Drysdale though if he coulda been there.

Sorry about not keeping up, must have been the workday getting in the way. 

On the idea of moving Mantha, Larkin and Bert.

If one could guarantee a top 5 pick I'd consider moving Mantha.

I am not trading Larkin, still young enough to become the 1c every boy and girl dreams about around here. If not, a good 2c / low end 1c. I think I am okay with that. Outside of a crazy deal that is.

For Bert, I got mix feelings. I feel like he's a gamer and any playoff team gonna love him. On the other hand, I get this Abs 2.0 feeling about him.