• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

55 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

https://hockeysverige.se/2020/10/08/hakan-andersson-detroits-draft

Some Hakan quotes on the top three Swedes from the link(via google translate and minor editing from me). 

On Raymond and trading back in the first round:

- Yes, we also thought that the three who went top-three would go top-three. Had any of them fallen down to our choice, we would have had to have a discussion about who we would choose. But we probably had four, five names that we talked about and that we really liked and it ended up with Lucas coming out on top of them.

- There were a number of different scenarios. We talked about what we would do if someone wanted the fourth choice and offered something in return for us to jump down to election six or seven and things like that. Had we got an equally good player then? But in the end, everyone was very excited that we got Lucas.

On WW and how he is the next Hedman:

- It was a gift from above when he landed in the second round, so we could pick him then. I can say as such, that if we had chosen somewhere between pick 20 and 31 in the first round, I would have discussed Wallinder quite hard.

- He's a fine raw material. Someone told me that Hedman had taken part in some training with Modo, and then many had commented on the similarities between them. "They skate the same, they carry the puck the same" and things like that. Then he has a long way to go, he is not a finished product in any way. Now he has been up and played a bit with the A-team and there he has had his ups and downs - but there is nothing strange about that. He is still young and gaining experience.

On Niederbach(my favourite):

- This is a super exciting player. He's really in the same category as Lucas Raymond. They are both right hand shots, they are about the same size and this guy's main characteristic is that he has a head that works really fast. Raymond has fantastic hands, Niederbach is also sharp there. They are similar in many ways.

- Many teams talk about the players as "top-six" or "bottom six-forwards" and we see that Niederbach has the potential to become a top six-forward in a few years.

A knee injury spoiled the entire 2018-2019 season for the Frölunda talent, and the way he recovered from it impresses Håkan Andersson.

- Such a thing is weighed in as a positive trait. When he started playing hockey again last year, he had not played in 14 months, I think. Still, he basically came in the top ten in the points league in the junior series, and then he played against players who were one or two years older than him. Then you saw what potential he has.

On CatboysRossi's Hijacking Theory and picking swedes:

- I have worked for Detroit for 30 years and it is clearly most of those who are in the club now. That discussion comes up at regular intervals and I am the first to say "screw what it says in the passport - choose the best players"

- Steve Yzerman knows that if we choose a Swede, they are easily socially adapted, they speak good English, they are good at adapting tactically and things like that. But we do not hunt Swedes. We chase good hockey players regardless of nationality. Then we know that Swedes are in a certain way, if you are to generalize, while Russians are in a way, Finns in a different way and Czechs have their special characteristics. But in the end, it's the best hockey player we want. It does not matter what nationality the player has.

It's very easy to pop a hole in his stupid conspiracy theory. Look at the 2019 draft.... we selected a German defenseman at 6.... which was considered a reach (at the time). Broberg went 8th and Soderstrom went 11th. Both of these Swedes were ranked top 20 whereas Seider was projected to go in the 20s.

5 minutes ago, SwedeLundin said:

It's very easy to pop a hole in his stupid conspiracy theory. Look at the 2019 draft.... we selected a German defenseman at 6.... which was considered a reach (at the time). Broberg went 8th and Soderstrom went 11th. Both of these Swedes were ranked top 20 whereas Seider was projected to go in the 20s.

It's pretty obvious the Swedish mafia was getting pay back for last year

https://puckprose.com/2020/10/08/2020-nhl-draft-grading-every-teams-draft-class/

Detroit Red Wings

Favorite pick: I liked several of their picks a lot. William Wallinder was a great pick at the top of the second round. But Lucas Raymond is the obvious choice here. He’s one of the smartest and most gifted players in the draft. Red Wings fans are going to love him.

Least favorite pick: Cross Hanas is a fine prospect, but I think drafting him in the second round was a bit of a reach. He has the upside to prove me wrong, though, and I’d love for him to do that.

Grade: A-. Great draft for the Red Wings.

Edited by Dabura

My draft thoughts:

1. No surprises in the top 3. Didnt think LAK or OTT were picking D with those picks.

2. Raymond wouldnt haven't been my pick, but I prefer it over Perfetti, Askarov, or Drysdale.

3. OTT surprised me taking Sanderson over Drysdale.

4. Rossi and Perfetti went later than I expected. Maybe they weren't the studs some of you thought they were.

5. Askarov didnt go top 10, which anyone with a brain knew he wouldn't.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

My draft thoughts:

1. No surprises in the top 3. Didnt think LAK or OTT were picking D with those picks.

2. Raymond wouldnt haven't been my pick, but I prefer it over Perfetti, Askarov, or Drysdale.

3. OTT surprised me taking Sanderson over Drysdale.

4. Rossi and Perfetti went later than I expected. Maybe they weren't the studs some of you thought they were.

5. Askarov didnt go top 10, which anyone with a brain knew he wouldn't.

On #4; anyone with a brain understands that Ottawa & Anaheim were going to take the best D available at 5&6. New Jersey doesn’t need a 1/2 playmaking center, they have that in spades. They need a pure goal scorer. Buffalo is gonna Buffalo. As such, they take the most overrated player in the draft. This isn’t the normal over hyping (Tippett) by the forum. If they didn’t go at 4 it’s not a surprise they would be picked anywhere between 8 & 12. The mistake was drafting Perfetti before Lundell. 

Edited by BringBack19

11 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I'm torn on this. There's such a large gap between the SHL and J20. He's probably too good for the J20, and likely good enough for the SHL, but he just won't get the minutes up there. Especially on a loaded Frolunda team. I'm hoping he and Soderblom both stay down and continue to dominate. It's better than seeing them get called up and play 3 minutes a night with nothing to show for it...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm torn on this. There's such a large gap between the SHL and J20. He's probably too good for the J20, and likely good enough for the SHL, but he just won't get the minutes up there. Especially on a loaded Frolunda team. I'm hoping he and Soderblom both stay down and continue to dominate. It's better than seeing them get called up and play 3 minutes a night with nothing to show for it...

Yup , but if he can get some decent minutes id let him go and see how he looks ... soderblom just had his trial run

sweden j20 should be insanely fun to watch man  

soderblom raymond niederbach johansson wallinder grewe berglund all in the mix

The Athletic: What Draper's First Draft Tells Us About The Direction of the Red Wings (paywall)

Draper, however, might have given a clearer glimpse into one of the true core traits the department values when he was asked about hockey sense. He began his answer by calling it “probably the one thing that is toughest to improve.”

In other words: You want your prospects to have it from the start.

“It’s something that we put a priority on,” he said. “We want players that can think the game, we want players that can play fast, and if they think the game, there’s a lot of things that they can improve on.”

Sounds like they got their guy, Raymond. 

10 hours ago, ely s said:

I would have loved to see Reichel or Peterka falling to us in the second round, but our choices make me happy enough to get over it :baby:

Peterka was taken at #34.   Just realized you probably already know this and you meant falling to #45.  N/M

Edited by town123
beer

13 hours ago, town123 said:

Peterka was taken at #34.   Just realized you probably already know this and you meant falling to #45.  N/M

We could have taken him with #32. Peterka will be a nice pick up for Buffalo.

His unrelenting motor is a force multiplier in every zone. He's hard on every puck. He's an eager, willing combatant in board battles. He's violent, disruptive -- a real pain in the ass. He'll make second and third efforts where other players generally relent. He's rarely, if ever stationary, constantly scanning the ice when the puck isn't on his stick. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

this is an assessment I totally agree with and honestly, he is a pain in the ass out there. Plus having a shoot first mentality

Hey everyone, this new guy is pretty smart. I'm not sure if he came up with this all on his own, but it's some pretty profound s***... Has anyone else come to the realization that Yzerman is building a defensive core on skating AND mobility?

Next he's going to tell us that Yzerman values skill and hockey IQ...