• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ChristopherReevesLegs

Eklund Rumor: Mantha for Ristolainen

Rate this topic

Wings/Sabres talking 5-player trade involving Mantha and Ristolainen

So it's Eklund and there's probably only about 1% truth behind the rumor, but it's summer and it's something to talk about...

What other 3 players would need to be in this trade to make it work for you?

To DET <----------------> To BUF
Risto ---------------------- Mantha
???? ---------------------- ????

And here I thought the only good thing about lgw being down was that we didn’t have to talk about this stupid rumor. 

Stupid as in I really do not want it to happen. 

But, hearing that Yzerman being high on character I could see him dangling Mantha as a trade piece.

Do we need Risto though? Seeing us load up on RHD prospects at the draft and him being a bit of a project it doesn’t make sense to me. Depends on the other pieces I guess. I have no idea who they would have to add to make me happy. 

just because we already have quite a few not so good contracts, we don´t need to take on another one. Risto is their most expensive d-men, usually your best paid d-men is your best d-men. So why do they want to trade him? Obviously they are not overly happy with him which makes me wonder... I don´t see the need for this trade same as Akakabuto does and even if SY would make it, we would be left with an even bigger hole in our top 6. Is there anybody on the Sabres roster who could fill that hole? do we need another RH d-men?

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Wings/Sabres talking 5-player trade involving Mantha and Ristolainen

So it's Eklund and there's probably only about 1% truth behind the rumor, but it's summer and it's something to talk about...

What other 3 players would need to be in this trade to make it work for you?

To DET <----------------> To BUF
Risto ---------------------- Mantha

Cozens, Nielsen, & Abdelkader

3 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Cozens, Nielsen, & Abdelkader

unfortunately they don´t have the cap space...

edit: unless they put Jack eichel in

Edited by ely s

28 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

And here I thought the only good thing about lgw being down was that we didn’t have to talk about this stupid rumor. 

Stupid as in I really do not want it to happen. 

But, hearing that Yzerman being high on character I could see him dangling Mantha as a trade piece.

Do we need Risto though? Seeing us load up on RHD prospects at the draft and him being a bit of a project it doesn’t make sense to me. Depends on the other pieces I guess. I have no idea who they would have to add to make me happy. 

While LGW was down I read some Buffalo fans discussing this rumor elsewhere.

Red Wing fans seem to be in the camp of "Mantha is about to have a break out year, don't trade him", but (to my shock) Sabres fans didn't agree, and they were discussing what pieces Detroit would have to send with Mantha to get Risto.

As players they have a lot of similarities. Same age, same size, both offensive minded, both have some compete issues in the past. The difference seems to be position, handedness, contract.

Position... edge Risto (dmen more valuable than wingers)
Handedness... edge Risto (RH more valuable than LH)
Contract... edge Risto (Mantha needs to be re-signed, Risto has a nice cap hit for the next 3 seasons)

Points wise I also give the edge to Risto at the moment. He's averaged as the 23rd best Dman in the league points wise over the last 4 seasons. Mantha would need to be a 70+ point player over the last fours years to compare to that. This year Mantha was on pace for 59 pts.

Regardless of all that. I do think we have an immediate need for a RH Dmen. We have Hronek, Green, and Bowey. Hronek is cash money. Green probably isn't going to survive this rebuild, he's 34 and our biggest trade asset heading to this years TDL. Bowey is maybe a decent bottom pairing guy, and I wouldn't want him in the top4. After that it's just prospects, and I'm not willing to call any prospect a sure thing (not even Seider) until they at the very least make the team.

And regardless of all that, I think Risto would instantly become our #1 Dman with Hronek on his heels.

19 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And regardless of all that, I think Risto would instantly become our #1 Dman with Hronek on his heels.

and Greener third pair? Bowey packaged in the deal? and who is filling in in our top 6 foward group?

1 hour ago, ely s said:

just because we already have quite a few not so good contracts, we don´t need to take on another one.

What? Risto has a VERY nice contract. $5.4 AAV for 3 more years. Trouba, who's about the same age, and who collects very similar points and minutes, just signed for $8 AAV for the next 7 years.

1 hour ago, ely s said:

usually your best paid d-men is your best d-men. So why do they want to trade him? Obviously they are not overly happy with him which makes me wonder...

Remember Dahlin? He's their best Dman, and they will have to hand him a huge raise in 2 years... and they have Risto for the next 3 years. (incoming log jam)

Pretty sure Buffalo would like to build their future D around Dahlin, and they have acquired a number of Dman to surround him (Scandella, Montour, Miller, Jokiharju, Pilut) Simply put, Risto was their old Dahlin... but Dahlin is better... and now Risto finds himself as the odd man out.

I suspect they wanna trade him while he still has nice term. They will get more in return now, rather than later.

Buffalo fans in general seem like they're ok with parting ways with him... they just don't want to give him away.

1 hour ago, ely s said:

I don´t see the need for this trade same as Akakabuto does and even if SY would make it, we would be left with an even bigger hole in our top 6. Is there anybody on the Sabres roster who could fill that hole? do we need another RH d-men?

Our roster is riddled with holes. Our D is garbage outside of Hronek, Howard is aging out, and at forward we really only have Larkin, Tuzzi, Mantha, AA.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

13 minutes ago, ely s said:

and Greener third pair? Bowey packaged in the deal? and who is filling in in our top 6 foward group?

Greener is probably gonna get his butt traded by Yzerman at the deadline.

Regardless, I think Green is overrated. For a guy deployed as the #1 RW Dman, he has never hit 40 pts with us and is also completely average to below average in his own zone. He's also turning 34 soon and injuries are beginning to take a toll on his games played.

Bowey is a bottom pairing. He's completely replaceable at the current moment and can ride pine for all I care.

Who would take Mantha's spot? Probably one of Rasmussen, Zadina, Svech, Veleno, Erne, Hirose, Kuffner

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

27 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Greener is probably gonna get his butt traded by Yzerman at the deadline.

Regardless, I think Green is overrated. For a guy deployed as the #1 RW Dman, he has never hit 40 pts with us and is also completely average to below average in his own zone. He's also turning 34 soon and injuries are beginning to take a toll on his games played.

Bowey is a bottom pairing. He's completely replaceable at the current moment and can ride pine for all I care.

Who would take Mantha's spot? Probably one of Rasmussen, Zadina, Svech, Veleno, Erne, Hirose, Kuffner

I would not call Green overrated. He is worth his money. With him in the lineup we´ve had a 20-19-4 record without him 12-21-6. Unfortunately he is often injured. The Ristolainen thing would only make sense when Greeners illness isn´t over.

3 minutes ago, ely s said:

I would not call Green overrated. He is worth his money. With him in the lineup we´ve had a 20-19-4 record without him 12-21-6. Unfortunately he is often injured. The Ristolainen thing would only make sense when Greeners illness isn´t over.

Don't get me wrong, Green was far and away our best Dman until Hronek emerged this year.

But Greener is probably not a top pairing Dman on most other teams.

I think the Ristolainen thing makes sense if Green is still not healthy. I think it also makes sense if he is healthy though, because Greener is probably getting shipped out in February. He's literally our only TDL trade piece.

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Don't get me wrong, Green was far and away our best Dman until Hronek emerged this year.

I think the Ristolainen thing makes sense if Green is still not healthy. I think it also makes sense if he is healthy though, because Greener is probably getting shipped out in February. He's literally our only TDL trade piece.

I think Howard could be moved if a team needs an insurance policy. 

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

While LGW was down I read some Buffalo fans discussing this rumor elsewhere.

Red Wing fans seem to be in the camp of "Mantha is about to have a break out year, don't trade him", but (to my shock) Sabres fans didn't agree, and they were discussing what pieces Detroit would have to send with Mantha to get Risto.

As players they have a lot of similarities. Same age, same size, both offensive minded, both have some compete issues in the past. The difference seems to be position, handedness, contract.

Position... edge Risto (dmen more valuable than wingers)
Handedness... edge Risto (RH more valuable than LH)
Contract... edge Risto (Mantha needs to be re-signed, Risto has a nice cap hit for the next 3 seasons)

Points wise I also give the edge to Risto at the moment. He's averaged as the 23rd best Dman in the league points wise over the last 4 seasons. Mantha would need to be a 70+ point player over the last fours years to compare to that. This year Mantha was on pace for 59 pts.

Regardless of all that. I do think we have an immediate need for a RH Dmen. We have Hronek, Green, and Bowey. Hronek is cash money. Green probably isn't going to survive this rebuild, he's 34 and our biggest trade asset heading to this years TDL. Bowey is maybe a decent bottom pairing guy, and I wouldn't want him in the top4. After that it's just prospects, and I'm not willing to call any prospect a sure thing (not even Seider) until they at the very least make the team.

I for one do not think Mantha is about to break out, and I still think it would be a s*** trade (depending on the other pieces of course). Risto is a good scorer (at least on the PP), but not a very good defenseman overall. Buffalo has been the worst team in the league with him, so obviously he's not making any big impact despite his offense. 

Sign Gardiner if we really want a bad defensemen who can score, or better yet try to get someone good next summer. It's one thing to trade a 4th for crap we could get for free, giving up a good piece like Mantha (or in reality Mantha+) would be the worst move yet for Yzerman.

1 minute ago, Buppy said:

I for one do not think Mantha is about to break out, and I still think it would be a s*** trade (depending on the other pieces of course). Risto is a good scorer (at least on the PP), but not a very good defenseman overall. Buffalo has been the worst team in the league with him, so obviously he's not making any big impact despite his offense. 

Sign Gardiner if we really want a bad defensemen who can score, or better yet try to get someone good next summer. It's one thing to trade a 4th for crap we could get for free, giving up a good piece like Mantha (or in reality Mantha+) would be the worst move yet for Yzerman.

I agree on Gardiner... desperation might be setting in for him about now...  would he take an AVV of 6 mil on a 2-3 year deal?  We have the cap space and we.can make the roster space with scratchs, demotions, etc.

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I posted this link in the ´Grade Yzerman´ thread, read it to the end, it´s unlikely we will see any move like that before the start of the season.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/yzermans-longtime-friend-excited-to-see-him-back-in-detroit/c-308687856

13 minutes ago, mackel said:

I think Howard could be moved if a team needs an insurance policy. 

Its such a crap shoot with goalies. If a major injury happens, he has a lot of value, if its just for depth he's probably worth a mid round pick. It all depends on the goalie landscape come the TDL.

23 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I don't disagree. I just think Risto holds more value than Mantha straight up.

16 minutes ago, ely s said:

I posted this link in the ´Grade Yzerman´ thread, read it to the end, it´s unlikely we will see any move like that before the start of the season.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/yzermans-longtime-friend-excited-to-see-him-back-in-detroit/c-308687856

See my OP. I don't at all suspect this trade is happening.

Hard pass. Mantha-Larkin-Bert is money, no reason to destroy the best line the team has for a that trade. AA+ would be fine, but, no one from the top line, and not Hronek, Mo, or Zadina.

On 8/27/2019 at 10:07 PM, LeftWinger said:

Lafrienere will replace Mantha.

I just hate to see him or AA go, but I can see both of them asking for $6M per year. maybe parting with one isn't a horrible idea? 

This right here.

Grand Master Y might see either AA, and/or Mantha as future headaches...Would be his 1st significant move involving a roster player/s.