• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Kronwall Officially Announces Retirement

Rate this topic

31 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

"You got Kronwalled" was one of the better arena chants

Agree, I happened to be lucky enough to be at a few when games when someone got Kronwalled. I wish the Wings had more chants. I was also lucky to be at the Joe when the first time the TODD-BER-TU-ZZI chant happen. Loved it, we need more of this badly. We don't have to go full Nashville, but it's been lacking over the years to say the least.

24 minutes ago, kylee said:

And with that, the last active Red Wings from the 2008 Cup team is Jonathan Ericsson and Val Filppula 

Helm, as mentioned, and also Abby and Howard both played in 07-08. E, Abby, and Howard didn't play in the playoffs though.

20 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Always loved him as a 3D.  Not so much as a 1D.

He's one of the reasons why I really wanted Holland to "replace" Lidstrom and/or Rafalski. Put Kronwall with, say, Brent Burns and you've got a legit top pairing. I do feel like Kronwall got kinda shafted in that sense; he stepped into the 1D roll on a blue line with no depth and management basically told him -- every year -- that 1) he was on his own and 2) it's playoffs or bust. Raw deal, but he never complained to the media, never pouted. He went to work, did his job, and led. Like a boss.

Hitting someones lights out will always be kronwalling to me. Does it really matter if he ever was "Elite"? Or if his number goes up to the rafters ? You know you had a great career if your name has become a synonym for hitting someone as hard and spectacular as you can.

So you have to figure Cholowski is the leading candidate to get Kronwall's spot on the left side of the defense.  Wonder who his partner will be.  Conventional wisdom would have it that you'd pair him with a righty, but our remaining righties are Bowey and Kaski.  Either of those two with Cholo is a recipe for getting scored on.  So looks like one of Daly or Ericsson still draws in?

DK-Green

Nemeth-Hronek

Cholo-Daly/Ericsson?

12 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

So you have to figure Cholowski is the leading candidate to get Kronwall's spot on the left side of the defense.  Wonder who his partner will be.  Conventional wisdom would have it that you'd pair him with a righty, but our remaining righties are Bowey and Kaski.  Either of those two with Cholo is a recipe for getting scored on.  So looks like one of Daly or Ericsson still draws in?

DK-Green

Nemeth-Hronek

Cholo-Daly/Ericsson?

I figured once we signed Nemeth that Kronwall was done. Always viewed him as the replacement, or at least the stand-in, until Cholo or someone else can get their s*** together.

I think the biggest surprise from Yzerman could be his treatment of the vets. He isn't the one who signed Daley or Ericsson or Abby or Helm or Nielsen. He may be more inclined to not stand by them when their play is lacking. Allowing maybe an increased opportunity for guys like Kaski and Bowey to earn more responsibility. Just spit-balling that though

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I figured once we signed Nemeth that Kronwall was done. Always viewed him as the replacement, or at least the stand-in, until Cholo or someone else can get their s*** together.

I think the biggest surprise from Yzerman could be his treatment of the vets. He isn't the one who signed Daley or Ericsson or Abby or Helm or Nielsen. He may be more inclined to not stand by them when their play is lacking. Allowing maybe an increased opportunity for guys like Kaski and Bowey to earn more responsibility. Just spit-balling that though

I agree that Yzerman is not likely going to feel beholden to the vets.  But I also know he probably doesn't want the team getting scored on constantly.  And while Ericsson and Daly definitely suck, in general veterans are more committed defensive players that young guys.  Especially young "offensive" defensemen.  I can see Cholo getting the nod despite his defensive game needing work.  I just can't see him being paired with someone who is also bad defensively (Kaski, Bowey).  Or maybe the latter two are better than I think and it's not an issue. 

I don´t see Cholowski starting the season in Detroit. Two reasons, first his defensive game and second our given d-men. Cholo is waiver exempt and I bet he starts in GR to hone his defensive game.

Just now, ely s said:

I don´t see Cholowski starting the season in Detroit. Two reasons, first his defensive game and second our given d-men. Cholo is waiver exempt and I bet he starts in GR to hone his defensive game.

Very possible.  Likely in fact.  That bottom pair of Ericsson/Daly/Bowey is going to be a nightmare though.  Hard to imagine they won't get scored on constantly.  You'd have to think Yzerman would want to remedy that as soon as possible.  Then again, any or all of Daly/Ericsson/Green are likely to be injured coming out of training camp. 

7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ericsson in the press box at 4.25 mil.  Ouch.

Isn't that what everyone wants though? Dress the best lineup every night, regardless of how long a player has been with the team or how much money they're making...

I'm sure Ericsson will see plenty of games this season anyway, with Green and Daley still on the roster, awaiting injuries...

My ideal defense for this season would be...

DeKeyser - Green
Nemeth - Hronek
Cholowski - Bowey
Ericsson

Daley traded

I'm okay with Cholowski getting big minutes in Grand Rapids, but would still prefer him in Detroit this season.