• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Akakabuto

9/20 -Preseason game 3 vs Islanders

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Nah, I've got no problem with his attitude or mentalty or anything like that. It's just the simple fact that he continues to get pushed around and pushed down and tripped up over his own two feet. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue when he's hanging around the goalie's kitchen, which is good, but everywhere else he still looks like he isn't able to consistently win those battles that we need him to consistently win. He's put on some muscle, but I'm not sure sheer strength is even the issue. I think it's just learning the ropes of physical play against opponents who are fully capable of knocking you on your ass, as opposed to scrawny teenagers who are incapable of truly testing your physical mettle. Mantha faced a similar learning curve in that department. A lot of really big kids do.

I have zero worries about 27.  3rd line center for 15 years straight with 2nd unit pp time.  He will develop into a consistent 15G, 15A player for us that takes care of a lot of minutes we dont want Larkin handling.

10 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Proof?

Development should be the focus right now. If that means some of these kids are better off in GR for now, then so be it. No need to win right now. Even if there are prospects in the system who are better than some of the roster players, if the kids are better served playing in GR, then that's where they should play.

Its not unusual for kids who are at an NHL level to play in the AHL even if they are actually better than some of the depth guys on the roster. 

We would all prefer to see these kids in Wings sweaters ASAP, but if someone like Seider is better off munching minutes in GR, than that's where he should be, even if he's better than someone like Bowey.

Getting rid of guys like Helm, Abby, E, Daley, etc doesn't mean those kids would get their roster spots anyway.

The kids aren't in the minors because of a lack of roster spots for them. If that was the case there would have been no reason to sign Flip or Nemeth. If any kids start in GR, its because the coaches and GM think its better for their development at this point, dropping the "dead weight" doesnt change that.

If we wanna have a hype season: Veleno and Seider make the team and we all get to edge ourselves for a full season.

If we wanna have a smart season: Yzerman sends everyone down, they develop properly and we get another high draft selection that we need.

My heart says #1 one but my brain says #2

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

What you've been talking about is him cheating for offense all the time and being terrible defensively. What we've seen is him not cheating for offense and not being terrible defensively and Blashill consistently refusing to criticize any aspect of his defensive game because there really isn't much there to criticize. If I end up eating crow on Zadina, it'll be for @ChristopherReevesLegs, who's made some valid points about potential areas of concern with Zadina's game.

What's holding Zadina back right now, IMO, is that he's struggling to set up and steer multi-part plays in the o-zone. He's good at entering the o-zone with possession and he's decent enough at helping a perimeter cycle along from the half-wall, but he really has to work on finding high-percentage ways to turn those good entries and perimeter possession into sustained pressure and goals against NHL players. NHLers and their systems are much better at neutralizing his off-wing shots than I think he'd anticipated and it's going to take some more time for him to figure out how to work around that and become a player who can threaten in multiple ways. Working on give-and-gos will help and I think Blashill and Yzerman are correct in believing that's what he should be focusing on.

Finding someone with a pass, finding a soft spot in coverage to slip into -- this is stuff that's second nature to him as a CHL player but needs to be re-learned at the pro level.

I want credit for Zadina sucking and Seider being amazing and no one ever gets to question my opinions again.

But in all seriousness about Zadina, and to relate this to handegg, he's a WR, and if he's gonna be successful he needs a QB who knows how to throw to him. I personally don't see this kid as a RB who's gonna create offense on his own. He needs a VERY high level QB who can feed him offense and who's gonna distract defenses while he sets up. Even if I'm wrong, Zadina should DEFINITELY stay in the AHL this season. Veleno is ahead of him at this point. 

16 hours ago, mackel said:

@Dabura I would be shocked if we ever see blash criticize his defensive game...

I wouldn't.

Blashill has no problem with criticizing any player's defensive game in public. "He's not going to criticize a #6 pick's defensive game" is not a thing. He also has no problem with criticizing any player's offensive game in public, and he's doing that with Zadina. Because there's actual stuff in Zadina's offensive game that's worth criticizing.

he's lost defensively.

You're lost rhetorically.

Go back and look at how.the Isles scored.that 2nd goal.  Zadina gave the puck away in the O-zone and failed to make a play in the N and D-zones.

I saw the sequence. I've also seen all the other minutes he's played where he was fine defensively. Additionally, I've seen every player in the history of forever give the puck away and get burned for it.

Add some new tricks to your troll act. It's gotten incredibly stale.

14 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I have zero worries about 27.  3rd line center for 15 years straight with 2nd unit pp time.  He will develop into a consistent 15G, 15A player for us that takes care of a lot of minutes we dont want Larkin handling.

Long-term, I'm not overly concerned about him. I'm just talking about the here & now. Right now he's not ready for big NHL minutes, IMO.

Edited by Dabura

39 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I wouldn't.

Blashill has no problem with criticizing any player's defensive game in public. "He's not going to criticize a #6 pick's defensive game" is not a thing. He also has no problem with criticizing any player's offensive game in public, and he's doing that with Zadina. Because there's actual stuff in Zadina's offensive game that's worth criticizing.

I saw the sequence. I've also seen all the other minutes he's played where he was fine defensively. Additionally, I've seen every player in the history of forever give the puck away and get burned for it.

Long-term, I'm not overly concerned about him. I'm just talking about the here & now. Right now he's not ready for big NHL minutes, IMO.

Yah, but hes never going to be.  He was a TERRIBLE pick at #9, but he will end up being a long term serviceable bottom 6 NHLer.

6 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Yah, but hes never going to be.  He was a TERRIBLE pick at #9, but he will end up being a long term serviceable bottom 6 NHLer.

I think he has the potential to be a 2C. Even being a shutdown 3C would mean some good minutes, especially if he's being hard matched against top talent.

9 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Id be stoked with shutdown 3C and net front 2nd pp unit guy.

I don't think he'll have much trouble establishing himself as a good/great 1st PP unit net-front guy, even if the rest of his game doesn't really pan out like we'd hoped it would. So, at the very least, we probably have that to look forward to. And, honestly, that alone would be a pretty big boost. Our PP has been garbage for years now and it's really hurt us.

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

I wouldn't.

Sorry but it's not a troll act, it's an honest accurate assessment of a prospect that isn't living up to his billing.  He's a guy who's game is predicated on scoring, he's not scoring and he's average or below average aside from that.

It's killing people that as time passes they are slowing staring to realize I may be right afterall...