• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

10/29 The Perlini Era GDT - Oilers @ Red Wings - 7:30 PM EST

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Thank you, folks, for partaking in tonight's spookatastical thread of spoopness. I hope everyone has a great Halloween!

(I'm not going anywhere, just saying it for people who maybe only drop in for GDTs.)

Last year I moved into a new place, in a neighborhood that I totally expected to get trick or treaters at. None. So much candy I had to eat.

This year no candy. Watch like 100 kids show up. I will shut off the lights and hide in my own home if I have to. Didn't wanna be that guy, but society has molded me this way now...

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

I'm gonna need the Wings to keep Helm on that top line.  Aside from the fact that spreading our offense out has seemingly made the team a little better, he keeps getting quality chances.  Pump them stats up and someone will trade for him at the deadline.  Bound to happen.  And since we're likely not trading Glendening, and Green's trade value has fallen pretty dramatically, getting a 2nd for Helm might be the best case scenario on deadline day.

23 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm gonna need the Wings to keep Helm on that top line.  Aside from the fact that spreading our offense out has seemingly made the team a little better, he keeps getting quality chances.  Pump them stats up and someone will trade for him at the deadline.  Bound to happen.  And since we're likely not trading Glendening, and Green's trade value has fallen pretty dramatically, getting a 2nd for Helm might be the best case scenario on deadline day.

I guess my hope is a scenario like last year.

We play the crap out of Helm (Nyquist) and Green (Jensen) and whoever else. They get traded at the deadline, some kids come up, then the team comes together and builds some playoff heartbreaker swagger in the spring.

If Helm continues to do ok to well on the top line, I'm sure at least one team will notice and think "Could this be the Patrick Eaves type player we can play on our Benn/Seguin Getzlaf/Perry line?"

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I guess my hope is a scenario like last year.

We play the crap out of Helm (Nyquist) and Green (Jensen) and whoever else. They get traded at the deadline, some kids come up, then the team comes together and builds some playoff heartbreaker swagger in the spring.

If Helm continues to do ok to well on the top line, I'm sure at least one team will notice and think "Could this be the Patrick Eaves type player we can play on our Benn/Seguin Getzlaf/Perry line?"

For sure. Stack them draft picks.  At this point they're likely not going to factor into our next Cup window, but having them around for trading stock is never a bad thing. 

I also think there's an outside chance that AA gets traded at the deadline, having nothing to do with how bad his season is going either.  He an RFA with a track record of scoring, he's not really an Yzerman kind of guy, and he's likely the only asset on the team that is both expendable and likely to yield a 1st round pick.

I thought they did a markedly better job supporting the puck down low in their own end last night. The Oilers had some nice crisp passes from blue line to slot but down low the Wings did a very good job not getting outnumbered or putting themselves in no-win situations (Larkin turnover aside). Jimmy's puck control sure helped. It's just something that needs to become a calling card, not a one night event. They can't win many shootout games so everybody gets dirty down low.

7 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

For sure. Stack them draft picks.  At this point they're likely not going to factor into our next Cup window, but having them around for trading stock is never a bad thing. 

I also think there's an outside chance that AA gets traded at the deadline, having nothing to do with how bad his season is going either.  He an RFA with a track record of scoring, he's not really an Yzerman kind of guy, and he's likely the only asset on the team that is both expendable and likely to yield a 1st round pick.

Fersure. Part of me also thinks it also won't be straight player for picks trades with Yzerman this year. That he may do stuff like the Jensen trade last year where it involves a player coming back.

Like: To somewhere: Athanasiou, Coming back: pick + Erne/Perlini type player (maybe in a different position)

Would like to see Yzerman do something to address goaltending as well. Howard is still acceptable, but he'll be 36 this year and should start transitioning into a split time or backup role sooner than later. Not a huge fan of Bernier personally, but we are probably stuck with him next year. Just talking out loud, but I would be fine re-signing Howie on another 1 year contract. Riding Howard/Bernier one more year after this, with Larsson as the starter in GR next year. But after that wtf do we do? Howard will be 37 and Bernier (should) will be gone. I guess the hope is 23 year old Larsson + 37 year old Howard for 2021/22. But that could be amazing or a disaster.

Alternatively, we can let Howard walk this year and chase Markstrom in FA this summer. This may be the best bet at a FA goalie, as the Canucks may opt to lean on Thatcher Demko after this season and let Marklstrom go. As of now I don't see a better option coming available in the 2021 offseason.

Re-sign Howard, sign Markstrom, and trade Bernier would be my ideal, but probably not feasible.

3 minutes ago, Jersey Wing said:

I thought they did a markedly better job supporting the puck down low in their own end last night. The Oilers had some nice crisp passes from blue line to slot but down low the Wings did a very good job not getting outnumbered or putting themselves in no-win situations (Larkin turnover aside). Jimmy's puck control sure helped. It's just something that needs to become a calling card, not a one night event. They can't win many shootout games so everybody gets dirty down low.

Agreed. There were a lot of sticks in passing lanes disrupting the oilers passes last night. It's something simple you shouldn't have to mention, but with this team it was nice to see.

I mean, I'm not advocating trading AA.  I'm just suggesting that it wouldn't surprise me given A) the likely return on a guy like him to a contender, and B) the type of player he is vs. the type of player Yzerman seems to want.  I do think if it's not for a 1st then it definitely doesn't happen at all. 

Basically there are four ways to improve this team over the next two years:

1. Let our crop of 1st rounders in Grand Rapids develop into impact players.

2. Trade something of value for a 1st rounder and hope the pick is an impact player (alongside your own 1st a la Zadina/Veleno).

3. Trade for an impact player a la Trouba (unlikely given people don't trade impact players often)

4.  Sign an impact free agent (unlikely given those guys down want to play for bad teams).

Obviously Yzerman will do the first one.  Trading AA is the only way to do the second one.  And the other two are probably just not going to happen at this point in our rebuild. 

11 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I mean, I'm not advocating trading AA.  I'm just suggesting that it wouldn't surprise me given A) the likely return on a guy like him to a contender, and B) the type of player he is vs. the type of player Yzerman seems to want.  I do think if it's not for a 1st then it definitely doesn't happen at all. 

Basically there are four ways to improve this team over the next two years:

1. Let our crop of 1st rounders in Grand Rapids develop into impact players.

2. Trade something of value for a 1st rounder and hope the pick is an impact player (alongside your own 1st a la Zadina/Veleno).

3. Trade for an impact player a la Trouba (unlikely given people don't trade impact players often)

4.  Sign an impact free agent (unlikely given those guys down want to play for bad teams).

Obviously Yzerman will do the first one.  Trading AA is the only way to do the second one.  And the other two are probably just not going to happen at this point in our rebuild. 

Luckily our cap space should really open up this off season. Even if Athanasiou/Bertuzzi/Mantha get big raises, we should be looking at somewhere between $7-$12 mil in cap space after most of our RFA's are re-signed. If Athanasiou goes we're talking about potentially another $3-$5 mil on top of that.

Yzerman will have room to play.

I don't think anyone with a a big name will want to come here still, but I would take a hard look at Markstrom, Krug, and Namestnikov if I was in Yzerman's shoes. Our old friend Mattias Janmark might also be out there.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Luckily our cap space should really open up this off season. Even if Athanasiou/Bertuzzi/Mantha get big raises, we should be looking at somewhere between $7-$12 mil in cap space after most of our RFA's are re-signed. If Athanasiou goes we're talking about potentially another $3-$5 mil on top of that.

Yzerman will have room to play.

I don't think anyone with a a big name will want to come here still, but I would take a hard look at Markstrom, Krug, and Namestnikov if I was in Yzerman's shoes. Our old friend Mattias Janmark might also be out there.

Janmark doesnt really fill a need.

Of the guys you mentioned I'd really only be interested in Markstrom.  Maybe Krug, but I have concerns.

I don't like Krug on a top pair, as he's pretty easily out muscled in the defensive zone, which means he'd have to be on a 2nd pair with Hronek (hate that combo for obvious reasons) or a 3rd pair where the lack of minutes would cut into his offense (thus negating any reason to sign him in the first place).

I don't like Namestnikov because I don't like the idea of paying UFA prices for a 3rd line winger who's only topped 20 goals once in his career.  I think we can probably find similar or better internally (Hi, Jonatan Berggren!).

Ditto for Janmark, whom I like but who is probably not better than Veleno or Rasmussen are likely to be. I suspect we'll take a center in this year's draft as well, meaning only one of those two needs to be better than a Janmark. 

I don't think any of those guys are bad players mind you.  I just think we have what they're offering (aside from Krug).  I'd rather we not look at free agency until the following summer unless we're addressing the goalie issue. 

53 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Of the guys you mentioned I'd really only be interested in Markstrom.  Maybe Krug, but I have concerns.

I don't like Krug on a top pair, as he's pretty easily out muscled in the defensive zone, which means he'd have to be on a 2nd pair with Hronek (hate that combo for obvious reasons) or a 3rd pair where the lack of minutes would cut into his offense (thus negating any reason to sign him in the first place).

I don't like Namestnikov because I don't like the idea of paying UFA prices for a 3rd line winger who's only topped 20 goals once in his career.  I think we can probably find similar or better internally (Hi, Jonatan Berggren!).

Ditto for Janmark, whom I like but who is probably not better than Veleno or Rasmussen are likely to be. I suspect we'll take a center in this year's draft as well, meaning only one of those two needs to be better than a Janmark. 

I don't think any of those guys are bad players mind you.  I just think we have what they're offering (aside from Krug).  I'd rather we not look at free agency until the following summer unless we're addressing the goalie issue. 

All fair points. Just thinking there may be some connection with Krug/Michigan and Namestnikov/Yzerman.

With goalies like I said Markstrom is the only guy who seems interesting. After this coming summer and onto next the guy I see becoming available is Jake Allen, and that's a hard pass from me. Of course things will probably drastically change between now and then.

22 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hope your enjoying it, I lived in the city for about 2 years a while back.

Griffs games are the greatest honestly. Wanna see high level NHL prospects? Wanna pay a third of the price? PLZ. I went to way more hockey games when I lived in GR than when I lived in Detroit. I would splurge all the time too and get glass seats for my GF and I. They're what like $30-$40 for glass seats? You can't even sit in the nose bleeds at LCA for that much...

They used to do dollar beer dollar dog night on Thursdays too. That was both a curse and a blessing on my life. I would often miss the entire 1st because I was housing dogs n brews for a good 30 minutes. Do they do that still?

30 dollar glass seats is what I've been paying, It's awesome. My wife likes to go to the games too so it's a win-win date night for me. 

Apparently Van Andel lost it's liquor license a couple of weeks ago so they're entirely alcohol free at the moment, signs everywhere warning you about it when you go in. To try and make up for it all the concession stuff is cheap as s*** right now. 

2 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

30 dollar glass seats is what I've been paying, It's awesome. My wife likes to go to the games too so it's a win-win date night for me. 

Apparently Van Andel lost it's liquor license a couple of weeks ago so they're entirely alcohol free at the moment, signs everywhere warning you about it when you go in. To try and make up for it all the concession stuff is cheap as s*** right now. 

Yup, my girl only digs football, but loves sitting on the glass. I didn't complain.

Oi looks like it was suspended for serving minors. Dumb minors. Good news is tonight is the last night it's suspended thou.