• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

General Rebuild Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Where we at? How we feeling? Blackpilled? Whitepilled? On the fence? Angry? Apathetic?

I'm...I dunno. I'm of multiple minds on multiple things. I'm trying to focus on the positives tho.

"What positives???"

Well the most important thing (IMO) is that we seem to have identified a solid young top line in Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha and a solid young top-pairing defenseman in Hronek. That gives us something to build on and it takes a little bit of pressure off of the next wave of kids. Does that position us for a return to respectability within the next two years? Your mileage may vary. Personally, I'd like to think the answer is "Sure, why not." We'll need a number of things to go very right for us, but I at least feel like I can post mockups of what a relevant 2021-22 Red Wings team may look like and not feel like I'm just desperately wishcasting.

Like, I get it, this current team is very bad and it's probably going to be a long while before we're back to being a perennial playoff team. A dramatic turnaround between now and 2021-2022 season is not something we can count on happening. I get all that. I don't necessarily disagree with all that. But just for the sake of argument, tell me how much of the following 2021-2022 projection is totally implausible:

FORWARDS

Tyler Bertuzzi -- Dylan Larkin -- Anthony Mantha
Andreas Athanasiou -- Quinton Byfield -- Kyle Palmieri
Michael Rasmussen -- Erik Haula -- Filip Zadina
Evgeny Svechnikov -- Joe Veleno -- Givani Smith
(Luke Glendening, Chase Pearson)

DEFENSEMEN

T.J. Brodie -- Moritz Seider
Danny DeKeyser -- Filip Hronek
Dennis Cholowski -- Haydn Fleury
(Gustav Lindstrom)

GOALTENDERS

Robin Lehner
Filip Larsson

The bolded names are acquisitions. Breakdown:

• Via Draft: Quinton Byfield (2020)
  • Via Trade: Haydn Fleury (2020)
  • Via UFA: Erik Haula (2020), T.J. Brodie (2020), Robin Lehner (2020), Kyle Palmieri (2021)

(No, I can't see us getting back to the playoffs within the next couple of years without some key free agent signings. But these aren't blockbuster pipe dream pickups.)

What say you? Share your thoughts on the rebuild.

I think we have 2 solid top 4 D in Seider and Hronek. DD can take one spot, so we really only need one more kid to pan out. I don't see any reason to trade for or sign any D.

As for F, we appear to have one line of Bert-Larkin-Mantha. AA, Veleno, Moose and Zadina are all in the mix for the top 6, but I would feel more comfortable if we got one more high end F in the draft. That would give us the flexibility to move 2 of those I already mentioned to the 3rd line along with Svech. 

I will reserve judgment until I see who we draft this year and how all of Zadina, Moose, and Veleno pan out.

Sadly i can see howard still here at this point in 2 yrs on single deals as a starter/backup/or splitting games until our future #1 is ready 

if veleno is our 4c id consider that a bust (i know hed be just starting off but i dont see any benefit to him being here as a 4c) as well as svech, i know your just having some fun but gotta think bodies will be moved which might include the likes of svech and AA

just for the fun of it ...21-22

Bertuzzi larkin mantha

Lafraniere veleno zadina 

berggren(erne if hes not ready)  rasmussen svechnikov

Smith Pearson glendening

Dekeyser seider

(d involved in AA move) hronek

Cholowski lindstrom

(veteran cheap $ dman) 

howard  + whoever emerges of larsson/pottelberghe/petruzzelli or else we’ll be stuck with two veteran goalies with splitting duties 

Provided yzerman can get rid of dead weight  and we can land A top pick + some high end kids next season stepping in it should start being a bit more fun  to watch wings games

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

14 hours ago, Dabura said:

Where we at? How we feeling? Blackpilled? Whitepilled? On the fence? Angry? Apathetic?

I'm...I dunno. I'm of multiple minds on multiple things. I'm trying to focus on the positives tho.

"What positives???"

Well the most important thing (IMO) is that we seem to have identified a solid young top line in Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha and a solid young top-pairing defenseman in Hronek. That gives us something to build on and it takes a little bit of pressure off of the next wave of kids. Does that position us for a return to respectability within the next two years? Your mileage may vary. Personally, I'd like to think the answer is "Sure, why not." We'll need a number of things to go very right for us, but I at least feel like I can post mockups of what a relevant 2021-22 Red Wings team may look like and not feel like I'm just desperately wishcasting.

Like, I get it, this current team is very bad and it's probably going to be a long while before we're back to being a perennial playoff team. A dramatic turnaround between now and 2021-2022 season is not something we can count on happening. I get all that. I don't necessarily disagree with all that. But just for the sake of argument, tell me how much of the following 2021-2022 projection is totally implausible:

FORWARDS

Tyler Bertuzzi -- Dylan Larkin -- Anthony Mantha
Andreas Athanasiou -- Quinton Byfield -- Kyle Palmieri
Michael Rasmussen -- Erik Haula -- Filip Zadina
Evgeny Svechnikov -- Joe Veleno -- Givani Smith
(Luke Glendening, Chase Pearson)

DEFENSEMEN

T.J. Brodie -- Moritz Seider
Danny DeKeyser -- Filip Hronek
Dennis Cholowski -- Haydn Fleury
(Gustav Lindstrom)

GOALTENDERS

Robin Lehner
Filip Larsson

The bolded names are acquisitions. Breakdown:

• Via Draft: Quinton Byfield (2020)
  • Via Trade: Haydn Fleury (2020)
  • Via UFA: Erik Haula (2020), T.J. Brodie (2020), Robin Lehner (2020), Kyle Palmieri (2021)

(No, I can't see us getting back to the playoffs within the next couple of years without some key free agent signings. But these aren't blockbuster pipe dream pickups.)

What say you? Share your thoughts on the rebuild.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Athanasiou
Namestnikov - Veleno - Glendening
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Soderblom

Krug - Seider
Dekeyser - Hronek
Cholowski - McIsaac

Markstrom
Larsson

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

2021-22

Players still under contract...
Larkin, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Veleno, Zadina, DeKeyser, Seider, McIsaac, Larsson, Fulcher

RFA's that will be extended...
Mantha, Bertuzzi, Athanasiou, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Hronek, Cholowski

RFA's that might be extended...
Perlini, Hirose, Erne, Kuffner, Turgeon, Pearson, Smith, Bowey, Lindstrom, Kaski

RFA's that shouldn't be extended...
Ehn, de la Rose, Hicketts, Saarijarvi

UFA's that might be re-signed...
Glendening, Howard / Bernier

UFA's that shouldn't be re-signed...
Helm, Filppula, Green, Daley, Ericsson, Nemeth, Biega

All LTIR contracts and buy-outs will be off the books by this time as well...
Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Ouellet

Nielsen will be in the final year of his contract, but I think (hope) he will be moved by then. Hopefully sooner than later... Abdelkader will be in the final two years of his contract, and he'll likely play it out as the 12th / 13th forward...

There will likely be a significant trade and / or free agent signing in the next couple years, but that being too difficult to predict, this is what I can see without any big moves...

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Lafreniere - Veleno - Mantha
Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Athanasiou
Smith - Turgeon - Glendening
Abdelkader / Pearson / Kuffner

DeKeyser - Seider
Cholowski - Hronek
McIsaac - Bowey
Lindstrom / Kaski

Howard
Larsson

Edited by krsmith17

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hicketts is smol, but he gon break out this season and next

And become what?

I'd be okay with re-signing Hicketts, but only as a depth defenseman. I don't think he'll ever be a mainstay in an NHL team's top 6...

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Where is Pietrangelo?

Also, No.

Krug (small rafalski like Dman) - Seider (basically lidstrom)
Cholowski (new green) - Hronek (new kronwall)
Hicketts (krug plus hitting) - McIlrath (new lilja)

That's a heavy weight defense in the cap era

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Lebda > Hicketts

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Krug will be 29, on the downswing of his career. He is going to get massively overpaid. No thanks! Seider should be a legit top pairing defenseman. Not sure if he'll be a top three defenseman all time though... I hope Cholowski becomes prime Green, but I wouldn't bank on it. I think Hronek will be better than prime Kronwall. Hicketts sucks. McIlrath sucks more...

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Lebda > Hicketts

Hicketts is 23

He's played 10 games between the NHL and AHL this year and has a combined 8 pts

I give it 3-4 months before you apologize for your shortsightedness

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Krug will be 29, on the downswing of his career. He is going to get massively overpaid. No thanks! Seider should be a legit top pairing defenseman. Not sure if he'll be a top three defenseman all time though... I hope Cholowski becomes prime Green, but I wouldn't bank on it. I think Hronek will be better than prime Kronwall. Hicketts sucks. McIlrath sucks more...

Yzerman is gonna trade Tuomisto rights for Krug's rights before FA opens

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hicketts is 23

He's played 10 games between the NHL and AHL this year and has a combined 8 pts

I give it 3-4 months before you apologize for your shortsightedness

Yzerman is gonna trade Tuomisto rights for Krug's rights before FA opens

He ever do something like this in Tampa I wonder? Too lazy here to do research.