• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ChristopherReevesLegs

Babs got fired

Rate this topic

Leafs fire Babs  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Tavares = First big mistake, they just couldn't keep their hand out of the cookie jar and that set the market high on all their young players contracts

Everything sort of snowballs from there

Next Nylander holds out for big money (should've Drouin'ed him) and they caved

Then Marner holds out for big money and they literally moved mountains around to cave for him

Now they're young players are whining about their coach and blaming him for their poor performances and so they cave to that

They seem to be building a team culture of entitled young players, and I'm almost certain it will come back to bite them in the future.

No role-players = first round exit

The Tavares signing shouldn't have had any impact on the RFA contracts. Though, I guess that's not necessarily true, as the RFA deals were always going to cover UFA years. Even so, it's Dubas's responsibility to tell his RFAs to sit their asses down if they get too uppity and they threaten to throw everything into chaos.

Nylander absolutely should've been moved. Tavares, I can understand. Caving in to Nylander? Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

18 minutes ago, Dabura said:

The Tavares signing shouldn't have had any impact on the RFA contracts. Though, I guess that's not necessarily true, as the RFA deals were always going to cover UFA years. Even so, it's Dubas's responsibility to tell his RFAs to sit their asses down if they get too uppity and they threaten to throw everything into chaos.

Nylander absolutely should've been moved. Tavares, I can understand. Caving in to Nylander? Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

Grumpy-Grandpa.jpg

"Millennials are ruining the leafs"
- Boomer circa 2019

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I guess where we disagree, @ChristopherReevesLegs, is that you think Babcock is the best coach ever, and I think he's the most overrated coach ever.

Dubas is a smart dude, and knows how to build a team in today's NHL. Babcock is a stubborn dude, and the way the game is played today is passing him by.

I don't think I've said once in this thread that I think Babs is the best coach ever

He's the most overrated to you? Yeah I mean I somewhat agree, when we were calling him #1 in the league we were probably overrating him by a good amount. So where does he fall then for you if he's not #1? Top5? Top10? Top15? Bottom 15?

I think he's among the top in the league. Like probably top10 IMO. I think he's pretty career savy and always puts himself in situations where he knows he can win. I think he's a defensively minded coach and runs excellent defensive systems. I think he's also very demanding and hard to play for and plays mind games with his players based on what players have said about him.

I don't think this is why we disagree though. The problem I have is not that bAbS iS bEsT CAnT fIrE hIM, it's that I fundamentally believe a team comprised of players sub 25 years old should conform to the coach, and not the coach to them.

In regards to Dubas, what has he done that's so innovative and great?

25 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't think I've said once in this thread that I think Babs is the best coach ever

He's the most overrated to you? Yeah I mean I somewhat agree, when we were calling him #1 in the league we were probably overrating him by a good amount. So where does he fall then for you if he's not #1? Top5? Top10? Top15? Bottom 15?

I think he's among the top in the league. Like probably top10 IMO. I think he's pretty career savy and always puts himself in situations where he knows he can win. I think he's a defensively minded coach and runs excellent defensive systems. I think he's also very demanding and hard to play for and plays mind games with his players based on what players have said about him.

I don't think this is why we disagree though. The problem I have is not that bAbS iS bEsT CAnT fIrE hIM, it's that I fundamentally believe a team comprised of players sub 25 years old should conform to the coach, and not the coach to them.

In regards to Dubas, what has he done that's so innovative and great?

I was just basing that on how much you've raved about him in the past. I don't know where I would rank him. I just think he's highly overrated, and his coaching style doesn't work well in the way the league is trending.

Career savvy and always puts himself in a situation where he knows he can win? He literally just got fired a couple days ago...

I don't believe this was ever about the players not conforming to him, it's that he never conformed to the way the general manager set this team up. He never adapted his coaching to get the best out of the players he had. Instead he tried to turn them into something they weren't. Coaches need to stop trying to jam square pegs in round holes.

Dubas has done jack s*** at the NHL level, but he was hired as an NHL general manager for good reason. He's a smart dude. He's analytics driven, and that's exactly where the NHL is headed. 

18 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I was just basing that on how much you've raved about him in the past. I don't know where I would rank him. I just think he's highly overrated, and his coaching style doesn't work well in the way the league is trending.

For a good amount of time there this fanbase in general, not pointing any fingers at you, swung their dicks around like Mike was the next coming of Scotty. Was that totally premature and wrong? Absolutely. Any overratedness he had going to the Leafs probably started with Detroit fans.

Then as soon as the roster started aging out, with no elite talent coming back in, Wings fans, like most sports fans do, started turning on the coach. Specifically calling him overrated. And personally, I'm like, yeah... ya dinguses... WE OVERATED HIM lol.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

So then he spurns the Wings for a rival, and the rest is history. The man goes from best in show to "Babs sucks" in less than 5 years time. I just think that screams butthurtness on our fandoms behallf more than it does any true evaluation of him as a coach. And in reality, I think he's probably somewhere in the middle, not amazing, not suck, just an above average coach who does a few things particularly well.

That's why I ask where you rank him. Overrated doesn't necessarily mean bad or good, just lesser than. I would agree he's probably not gold standard Babs, but somewhere around top10 or 33rd percentile, I would say yeah.

In regards to his style, I could rant for a while about how I think "the new NHL style" is a trap. But instead of writing a book I'll just agree to disagree there. I think shutdown coaches will always be a commodity with value.

19 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Career savvy and always puts himself in a situation where he knows he can win? He literally just got fired a couple days ago...

At the time, did you not think the switch from Detroit was Toronto was smart for him? I would absolutely agree with his critics that he's always had stacked teams. He's maneuvered his NHL career in that fashion. Breaks into the league with Anaheim, then immediately jumps ship and leverages that success to a position with a powerhouse Detroit team. As soon as that starts going south he leverages his success there for a bidding war that takes him to a quickly up n coming Toronto. The fact that he got fired doesn't mean I don't think he was in a bad spot.

I don't believe this was ever about the players not conforming to him, it's that he never conformed to the way the general manager set this team up. He never adapted his coaching to get the best out of the players he had. Instead he tried to turn them into something they weren't. Coaches need to stop trying to jam square pegs in round holes.

Ah I was gonna use this expression, but you beat me to it! I'm absolutely advocating jamming square pegs into round holes in this instance. This is also why I agree with you that Babs didn't fit the style there.

If the Leafs were a team full of John Tavares generation players, I would be right with you. Babs is a mistake, bring in a Laviollette or something. But I see a team of mostly sub 25 year old players with more than a few key pieces still being 22/23. There's a lot of growing to do there yet, and I think Babs would have been the ideal coach to mold Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, Nylander from young talented hot shots, into complete mature dominant 2-way players. In fact I thought that was Shanahan's plan all along, and I kinda feel like Shanny caved to Dubas and his players here. Of course I would expect growing pains, but I think that's a recipe for long term growth and success. Even if you fire Babs in 2 to 3 years when the transformation is complete and then go with a new coach.

Dubas has done jack s*** at the NHL level, but he was hired as an NHL general manager for good reason. He's a smart dude. He's analytics driven, and that's exactly where the NHL is headed. 

IDK he's done some pretty big stuff in a short time. Signed arguably the biggest UFA of this decade. Tangled with some insanely high dollar hold out RFAs. Moved mountains to get his team cap compliant. Made some pretty big balls trades for guys like Muzzin. Already has one of his draft picks on the team in Rasmus Sandin. Brought in solid KHL contributors like Mikheyev.

Dubas has been no slouch so far.

I have no problem with analytics. But I don't think it's the end all be all. I do think Tavares was a mistake for them. Not because he's not a good player worth the money, but because of the wheels that set in motion. There's a reason Larkin is on lists for best contracts in the NHL, and Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are not. I think that team would have been very wise to avoid Tavares, keep overly rapid growth in check, and build that team out in a slower more nuanced way. But I guess that's probably easier said than done in a high pressure market like toronto.

The problem with rating Babs is this guy was so very successful. But I also agree with @krsmith17 that his coaching-style is infuriating sometimes. On one hand 2 Gold Medals and two Cups don't come from nowhere. But on the other hand you could argue his first Cup ust came because of a J.S. Giguere playing the playoffs of his life and his second because of the combination of Lidstrom, Datsykuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Hossa. The two goldmedals all came on stacked Canadian teams. How much of that is his coaching and how much his players? Hard to say.

But there is no denying that he just wasn't the right coach for a young and talented Maple Leafs Team and a young innovative GM. And that is why I want him as far as possible from Detroit as we are heading very much in the same direction.

Edited by derblaueClaus

2 hours ago, derblaueClaus said:

The problem with rating Babs is this guy was so very successful. But I also agree with @krsmith17 that his coaching-style is infuriating sometimes. On one hand 2 Gold Medals and two Cups don't come from nowhere. But on the other hand you could argue his first Cup ust came because of a J.S. Giguere playing the playoffs of his life and his second because of the combination of Lidstrom, Datsykuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Hossa. The two goldmedals all came on stacked Canadian teams. How much of that is his coaching and how much his players? Hard to say.

But there is no denying that he just wasn't the right coach for a young and talented Maple Leafs Team and a young innovative GM. And that is why I want him as far as possible from Detroit as we are heading very much in the same direction.

He didn’t win a Cup in Anaheim. 

19 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

For a good amount of time there this fanbase in general, not pointing any fingers at you, swung their dicks around like Mike was the next coming of Scotty. Was that totally premature and wrong? Absolutely. Any overratedness he had going to the Leafs probably started with Detroit fans.

Then as soon as the roster started aging out, with no elite talent coming back in, Wings fans, like most sports fans do, started turning on the coach. Specifically calling him overrated. And personally, I'm like, yeah... ya dinguses... WE OVERATED HIM lol.

I was never one that overrated Babcock though. I always thought he was a decent coach that was overrated by a lot of *other* Red Wings fans and even more so by hockey media (Canada in particular). Things just got worse in that regard when he signed that massive contract in Toronto. I told all my buddies that were over the moon about the signing, that they would grow to hate Babs. Sure enough, they did.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I actually hated Babcock as a coach, I just didn't agree with a lot of his tactics. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I think Blashill was / is a better fit here the past few years than Babcock would have been. I think Blashill is a really good coach, and has done a fantastic job with the young guys on this team.

19 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

IDK he's done some pretty big stuff in a short time. Signed arguably the biggest UFA of this decade. Tangled with some insanely high dollar hold out RFAs. Moved mountains to get his team cap compliant. Made some pretty big balls trades for guys like Muzzin. Already has one of his draft picks on the team in Rasmus Sandin. Brought in solid KHL contributors like Mikheyev.

Dubas has been no slouch so far.

I have no problem with analytics. But I don't think it's the end all be all. I do think Tavares was a mistake for them. Not because he's not a good player worth the money, but because of the wheels that set in motion. There's a reason Larkin is on lists for best contracts in the NHL, and Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are not. I think that team would have been very wise to avoid Tavares, keep overly rapid growth in check, and build that team out in a slower more nuanced way. But I guess that's probably easier said than done in a high pressure market like toronto.

I agree. I didn't mean that Dubas has done nothing at all noteworthy, just that he hasn't won anything as a NHL general manager *yet*. I hope he never does in Toronto...

I also agree that Tavares was a mistake. I said that they day he signed. I think they would have been better off keeping Kadri and using the money saved on defense. 

Mark Fraser came out and joined Commodore and ripped Babs a new one yesterday. Now Fraser didnt really play under Babs from my understanding, but he claims that 95% of players that have played for him hate him. Check out his twitter for exact words.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I was never one that overrated Babcock though. I always thought he was a decent coach that was overrated by a lot of *other* Red Wings fans and even more so by hockey media (Canada in particular).

On 11/23/2019 at 12:19 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

For a good amount of time there this fanbase in general, not pointing any fingers at you, swung their dicks around like Mike was the next coming of Scotty. Was

3 hours ago, kliq said:

Mark Fraser came out and joined Commodore and ripped Babs a new one yesterday. Now Fraser didnt really play under Babs from my understanding, but he claims that 95% of players that have played for him hate him. Check out his twitter for exact words.

Yeah and I think Babs honest response to that would be "It's not my job to get them to 'like me' "

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe this league is becoming the NBA and coaching will be all about superstar hand holding soon...

55 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yeah and I think Babs honest response to that would be "It's not my job to get them to 'like me' "

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe this league is becoming the NBA and coaching will be all about superstar hand holding soon...

I think there is a fine line that a coach like Babcock(just like Bowman) have to walk. You are right, the players don't have to like you. But they have to respect you. Uncle Mike seems to have lost the respect of his players and thats a failure on his part. He is a wellpayed professional coach, he should be able to handle young players, veterans, superstars and grinders. More worrisome for him is this seems to have happened before. He needs to change and evolve.

The best way to make the players respect you is to win games. If your line-up/TOI and gameplan brings the team to win you can be as big of an hard-ass you want. You are making the right decisions and the players will respect that. 

When Babcock have been losing games he also seems to have lost his players. He is stubborn in his way of coaching and if his gameplan isn't working its on the players to work harder. When you lose that message gets stale pretty fast. 

Him being fired from the Leafs is entirely on himself. I agree with many others that the roster is very top-heavy and is missing some important role players that are part of the make-up of cup winning team. 

But if you want to keep your job you try to win games any way you can with the players you got. Babcock didn't want that. He wanted to win his way and refused to use his roster to its full potential. 

If you are under by one in the last seconds of the game you don't send out Hyman and others of the like as a reward for hard work with Matthews, Tavares and Nylander on the bench. You will lose. And do it an enough number of times you will be fired.

Edited by Akakabuto

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If this was happening all around the league I would agree, but its really just 2 players talking about 1 coach. 

On 11/21/2019 at 10:40 PM, kliq said:

Agreed, ultimately the message being sent here was we are firing the coach for being too hard on you. Not the message to send to a team that can't beat Boston in a playoff team because they are not tough enough. 

Exactly what i've been telling my buddies that are Laughs fans. This wasn't on Babs. There is no player accountability and leadership on that team, and they're soft. Matthews, Marner and Nylander seem entitled. They can score goals, doesn't mean anything if they don't step up and succeed in the playoffs. Nylander should have been traded for blueline help. Babs was hard on the team in Detroit too, but they still won plenty of games and went to two finals, winning one. Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk led on the ice. The Laughs have no players like that. Tavares, maybe. If he can lead he better start. Either way, this season is their one shot at doing anything, cause they're gonna lose key guys in the offseason. 

Babcock is arrogant, stubborn, old school style of coach. 

OK Boomer ... enough said.  Players hated playing for him, stories coming out that he was a prick ... you can see it on the demeanor of the players.  I'm 99% sure they all gave feedback to Dubas.  Dubbie and Shanahan got the message.  

Have you seen the smile on the Leafs players since Babs got fired?  

Edited by RedWingsRox

28 minutes ago, RedWingsRox said:

OK Boomer ... enough said.  Players hated playing for him, stories coming out that he was a prick ... you can see it on the demeanor of the players.  I'm 99% sure they all gave feedback to Dubas.  Dubbie and Shanahan got the message.  

The cocky one opposite of the frown they’ll be wearing when that backwards ass team eventually crashes back down to earth? Yeah, funny. 

A238E1A5-DEC2-4B8E-B013-FD5798CDE7F1.jpeg

Seriously, the f***. I know that’s a period; it’s a statement. I’m ‘bout tired of hearing any more of “these stories” which is about 3-4 degens whining about their careers coming to an end because of Babcock.

Com64: Seriously, you’re the saddest hockey schtick ever, empirically speaking.

Chelios: You were 47 years old, and still a legend, no one denying. For f***s sake, do better.

Roenick: Cry about the Blackhawks winning again because you never did.

Fraser: Who are you again?

f***. Sort yourselves out. This is amateur hour. 

Edited by gcom007

18 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

But they have to respect you. Uncle Mike seems to have lost the respect of his players and thats a failure on his part.

See, IDK about this. I remember playing for a coach in particular who was a total jack ass (IMO). He would go on psycho vein popping yelling rants, throw s*** at us, and pretty much walk the line as closely as he could to abusive. I and 99% of the team hated him, and I even remember threatening to quit the team multiple times.

But I never did quit, or quit trying, and I had my best season ever under that guy. Still hate em thou lol

18 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Him being fired from the Leafs is entirely on himself. I agree with many others that the roster is very top-heavy and is missing some important role players that are part of the make-up of cup winning team. 

But if you want to keep your job you try to win games any way you can with the players you got. Babcock didn't want that. He wanted to win his way and refused to use his roster to its full potential.

Agree it's on himself. Maybe if he had adapted to a more top heavy roster things would have been different, but I don't think we're talking tactics here.

I think we're talking mutiny. That is, his players weren't even trying to implement his system. There was a lot of 'do what you want and wait for your highlight reel' kinda play going on towards the end there.

Is that on the coach for losing the room? 100%. Is that on the players for giving up on their coach? Also 100%.

Difference I see here is: Red Wings pulled through and won a cup despite the horrible evil ways of Mike Babcock, and the Leafs rolled over and died in the face of Babs adversity. Not sure the later is worthy of reward...

17 hours ago, kliq said:

If this was happening all around the league I would agree, but its really just 2 players talking about 1 coach. 

Yup and the Tronna media is now tripping over themselves all of the sudden to show how horrible Babs was AND THATS WHY THEY HAVENT WON A CUP ALREADY. Prepare for the coping mechanism from Leafs fans that Babs ruined player X and that's really why Y did or didn't happen. 

11 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Exactly what i've been telling my buddies that are Laughs fans. This wasn't on Babs. There is no player accountability and leadership on that team, and they're soft. Matthews, Marner and Nylander seem entitled. They can score goals, doesn't mean anything if they don't step up and succeed in the playoffs. Nylander should have been traded for blueline help. Babs was hard on the team in Detroit too, but they still won plenty of games and went to two finals, winning one. Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk led on the ice. The Laughs have no players like that. Tavares, maybe. If he can lead he better start. Either way, this season is their one shot at doing anything, cause they're gonna lose key guys in the offseason. 

And who's fault is it that they're in boom or bust right NOW? That's on Dubas. He's created a roster situation where if they don't win a cup this year there in trouble again. Their in for another summer of hard work completely redoing the roster AGAIN regardless of what happens.

At least when we had a young Dats and Z they had Lids to lead them and protect them. Tavares is supposed to be that bridge between the coach and the players and idk if he was snoozing on that one, but that bridge seems to have been neglected. Johnny T was a mistake.

10 hours ago, RedWingsRox said:

And that's sorta a problem within itself. It's running to tell mom when dad doesn't give you your way.

And again, I reiterate, it's not the Leafs job to smile, it's to win hockey games. Happy players aren't always motivated players, but that's a fine line.

9 hours ago, gcom007 said:

The cocky one opposite of the frown they’ll be wearing when that backwards ass team eventually crashes back down to earth? Yeah, funny. 

A238E1A5-DEC2-4B8E-B013-FD5798CDE7F1.jpeg

Seriously, the f***. I know that’s a period; it’s a statement. I’m ‘bout tired of hearing any more of “these stories” which is about 3-4 degens whining about their careers coming to an end because of Babcock.

Com64: Seriously, you’re the saddest hockey schtick ever, empirically speaking.

Chelios: You were 47 years old, and still a legend, no one denying. For f***s sake, do better.

Roenick: Cry about the Blackhawks winning again because you never did.

Fraser: Who are you again?

f***. Sort yourselves out. This is amateur hour. 

The retroactive witch hunting is in full court press. I guess I should have expected it from the s*** show that is Toronto.

8 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

just gonna leave this here

The refined story I've heard is that Babs pressed Marner for who doesn't work hard on the team. Marner of course replied himself, but Babs continued to press him for a real answer. Eventually Marner relented and said Kadri (dass raciss) and then Babs told Kadri.

That's a coaching technique as old as the game itself, and Babs could prolly only pull it off on a rook like Marner. Definitely an extreme technique though.

My question for anyone who finds the story troubling, do you think Scotty Bowman wasn't doing stuff like this???

Sidenote: The biggest success story from Babs time in Toronto is Kadri. He turned that kid from bratty 2/3 C who takes too many emotional penalties, to premium 2C shutdown centermen. Not saying that this story is what did that for Kadri... but that is what Babs can do for a player when a player buys in to what he's selling. If I was a Leafs fan this is the kinda of thing I would've wanted from Matthews and Marners time with Babs, but apparently it didn't take... it worked for Nazem, why not the other two?

24 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

See, IDK about this. I remember playing for a coach in particular who was a total jack ass (IMO). He would go on psycho vein popping yelling rants, throw s*** at us, and pretty much walk the line as closely as he could to abusive. I and 99% of the team hated him, and I even remember threatening to quit the team multiple times.

But I never did quit, or quit trying, and I had my best season ever under that guy. Still hate em thou lol

Aren't you kinda proving my point? You all hated the guy but did you lose your respect for him? 

For the record, I have nothing against old school psycho coaches and I think Babcock is a good one. I just think he failed in Toronto and that he has himself to blame for being fired. The failure of the Leafs as a team is not entirely on him though. 

I'm not too impressed with the mindgames either, old trick or not. Causing division among your players can never be a sound strategy. If they are not gonna like you then atleast unite them in that.

19 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Aren't you kinda proving my point? You all hated the guy but did you lose your respect for him?

At the time I had yeah, but in retrospect now I have respect for what he was trying to do.

19 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

I'm not too impressed with the mindgames either, old trick or not. Causing division among your players can never be a sound strategy. If they are not gonna like you then atleast unite them in that.

It's a cruel trick fersure, and it's extreme even in my eyes... but I think it accomplished its goal (partially). He wanted Kadri to work harder (he did) and he wanted the team to hate him (they did). From what I read there was no bad blood between Marner and Kadri.

At the end of the day, Babs prolly overplayed his hand. He doubled down on being a hard ass when he probably should have softened a lil. Oh well I guess. Life as a leaf is constant pain.

Be me
Mitch Marner
Only cup I care about is the gold one I'll be drinking out of when I get my payday
Get drafted by cash cow spend heavy leafs organization
mrburns.excellent.exe
Hire league renowned money grubbing agent Darren Ferris
Proceed to hold the team hostage with payday demands
Fans and media turning on me
ohcrapohcrapohcrap.gif
Initiate operation deflect blame
Undermine coach by complaining to management
Agent plants stories in the media slandering the coach
Fans jump off the Marner hate train and immediately onto the coach hate train
sheeple.img
Coach gets fired
I'm a victim now and everyone loves me
Light cigar... $65 million and no more bag skates boissss
It's good to be a mitch

35 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Life as a leaf is constant pain.

The Leafs have made me coom all season long. First the suckage and then the canning of Babs. The whole "We are the model franchise with all the best and brightest people in the business that is writing the blueprint for guaranteed cups and dynasty" was getting really annoying.