• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

Would you bring back Babcock?

Rate this topic

Would you bring back Babcock?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think he would come back for any reason. But I would take him in the rare circumstance he would. Will be interesting to see where he goes. 4 years ago we literally had BAB WATCH. I don't think he gets that level of hype now, but honestly I want him here in Seattle with my new superior Sockeyes team.

7 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I don't see a fit. However, that doesn't necessarily mean Babcock's availability can't "work for us." Maybe Poile replaces Laviolette with Babcock...

I was thinking of Nashville too. Seems like a good fit for Babs. Maybe Flyers. 

I doubt he wants to take on another rebuild project. The guy wants to win. 

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't think he would come back for any reason. But I would take him in the rare circumstance he would. Will be interesting to see where he goes. 4 years ago we literally had BAB WATCH. I don't think he gets that level of hype now, but honestly I want him here in Seattle with my new superior Sockeyes team.

This seems like the most likely scenario. Babs could help build the team the way he wants it. And he wouldn't have any Matthews level stars to short the ice time of :P

1 hour ago, amato said:

This seems like the most likely scenario. Babs could help build the team the way he wants it. And he wouldn't have any Matthews level stars to short the ice time of :P

Yeah I was reading something that said Lam and Babs were really close and shared a vision for the team, but that was the complete opposite with Dubas and Babs. They didn't see eye to eye on team construction and weren't close as colleagues.

So Dubas got his way, and now has HIS coach. Buys him a little time now to get his team together.

My question for Dubas would be WTF is your vision for that team? It seems to me he's just gonna overload with offensively gifted players and try to score other teams to death. I think that kid is in way over his head.

11 hours ago, Dabura said:

I don't see a fit. However, that doesn't necessarily mean Babcock's availability can't "work for us." Maybe Poile replaces Laviolette with Babcock...

Tampa's probably the best fit, tbh. But I have no interest in Cooper. Laviolette, on the other hand, is a guy I've always really liked.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yeah I was reading something that said Lam and Babs were really close and shared a vision for the team, but that was the complete opposite with Dubas and Babs. They didn't see eye to eye on team construction and weren't close as colleagues.

So Dubas got his way, and now has HIS coach. Buys him a little time now to get his team together.

My question for Dubas would be WTF is your vision for that team? It seems to me he's just gonna overload with offensively gifted players and try to score other teams to death. I think that kid is in way over his head.

You really think overloading with offensively gifted players is a bad thing?...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

You really think overloading with offensively gifted players is a bad thing?...

No, I think ONLY having skilled players is a bad thing.

Dabs made this point on HF Boards, and I tend to agree with him. They're gonna soon miss role-players like Kadri. #2 shutdown centers are like a gift from god in the playoffs. And Kadris presence took a lot of pressure off of Matthews and Tavares.

The massive firepower they have is a great thing, but there's a lot of other elements to hockey. I see a team that can score, but doesn't do anything else particularly well. And I wonder if Dubas has any sort of actual vision for the identity of that team, other than re-signing the guys who show up on the stat sheet the most.

43 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Dabs made this point on HF Boards, and I tend to agree with him. They're gonna soon miss role-players like Kadri. #2 shutdown centers are like a gift from god in the playoffs. And Kadris presence took a lot of pressure off of Matthews and Tavares.

The massive firepower they have is a great thing, but there's a lot of other elements to hockey. I see a team that can score, but doesn't do anything else particularly well. And I wonder if Dubas has any sort of actual vision for the identity of that team, other than re-signing the guys who show up on the stat sheet the most.

The real tragedy is it's actually a really good group. It's just, y'know, not quite ready to win a Cup. But it's Tronna, so they *have* to win the Cup *now*, because reasons. And so that's the position Dubas -- that visionary galaxy-brained boy-next-door nerd wizard who was going to show all the dinosaur GMs how to build a contender in the cap era -- has put the team in. Which is kind of an unfair spot for those young players to be in. Like I keep saying, those young players haven't been around long enough. They're babies. You're putting the weight of the world on the shoulders of youngsters who've had a bit of regular season success but are a long way from what I would consider battle-tested and battle-hardened.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), that D group could look completely different next season. Maybe Dubas has a plan there. And it's not like he can't trade any of his young forwards.

Edited by Dabura

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

The real tragedy is it's actually a really good group. It's just, y'know, not quite ready to win a Cup. But it's Tronna, so they *have* to win the Cup *now*, because reasons. And so that's the position Dubas -- that visionary galaxy-brained boy-next-door nerd wizard who was going to show all the dinosaur GMs how to build a contender in the cap era -- has put the team in. Which is kind of an unfair spot for those young players to be in. Like I keep saying, those young players haven't been around long enough. They're babies. You're putting the weight of the world on the shoulders of youngsters who've had a bit of regular season success but are a long way from what I would consider battle-tested and battle-hardened.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), that D group could look completely different next season. Maybe Dubas has a plan there. And it's not like he can't trade any of his young forwards.

I was gonna say, they almost suffer from TOO MUCH TALENT. A good problem to have no doubt, but still a tricky one in its own right. Dubas seems to be afraid to lose any of his offensive sweethearts which I think exposes some of the immaturity he has an early career 33 yo GM. You gotta make tough calls. Trade Nylander. Tell Marner to go to Switzerland and that he can come back when he's ready to be a serious NHLer.

So ******* glad we have iron will Yzerman at the helm lol

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I was gonna say, they almost suffer from TOO MUCH TALENT. A good problem to have no doubt, but still a tricky one in its own right. Dubas seems to be afraid to lose any of his offensive sweethearts which I think exposes some of the immaturity he has an early career 33 yo GM. You gotta make tough calls. Trade Nylander. Tell Marner to go to Switzerland and that he can come back when he's ready to be a serious NHLer.

So ******* glad we have iron will Yzerman at the helm lol

>HOCKEY JOURNOS: "Ken Holland has lost his objectivity; he's too attached to his players."
>ALSO HOCKEY JOURNOS: "Kyle Dubas believes in love. And, really, what's so wrong with that?"

I'm reeeeeeally eager to see what Yzerman does with our RFAs this summer.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Since when do they ONLY have skilled players? They have a very strong top 9, and a line full of muckers / grinders. The problem is, Babcock relied too heavily on that 4th line, and not enough on his top 2 lines.

Kadri was / is a solid shutdown 2C. Problem is, Tavares >>> Kadri, and you can't pay your 3C $4.5M when you have 3 guys making overly $30M.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

P.S. F*** the Leafs.

This. But also, F*** Mike Babcock.

36 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Since when do they ONLY have skilled players? They have a very strong top 9, and a line full of muckers / grinders. The problem is, Babcock relied too heavily on that 4th line, and not enough on his top 2 lines.

Kadri was / is a solid shutdown 2C. Problem is, Tavares >>> Kadri, and you can't pay your 3C $4.5M when you have 3 guys making overly $30M.

Sorry but that's just patently wrong. Babs 4th line was averaging 10 min a games. That's less than our own 4th line and probably much of the league. He relied heavily on his top9.

39 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Sorry but that's just patently wrong. Babs 4th line was averaging 10 min a games. That's less than our own 4th line and probably much of the league. He relied heavily on his top9.

Key games / situations. Game 7 in the playoffs, your top dogs should play 25+ minutes, not 18...

Anyway, I'm done with this. I don't care enough about Babcock, much less the Leafs.