• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jersey Wing

Wings trade with Coyotes for G Eric Comrie, trade D Vili Saarijarvi

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Oh I like the trade. I don't see Saarijarvi ever becoming anything. Sounds like Comrie will be our 2/3 goalie. Howard and Bernier are both becoming expendable quickly. I'm ready to go full Pickard/Comrie is we have to.

If it was for a player who is going to stay, ok. But if Comrie gets picked up on waivers, then you gave up an asset (even a cheap one) for nothing. I would rather stockpile D than goalies. D can be shuffled around between Toledo and GR. You only have 6 goalie spots. If you needed to fill a spot in GR, then bring up Nagle or Fulcher and sign a nobody goalie to a temp contract in Toledo. 

I liked the Perlini trade. And even tho this one is pretty much inconsequential, I just dont see the point.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

42 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If it was for a player who is going to stay, ok. But if Comrie gets picked up on waivers, then you gave up an asset (even a cheap one) for nothing. I would rather stockpile D than goalies. D can be shuffled around between Toledo and GR. You only have 6 goalie spots. If you needed to fill a spot in GR, then bring up Nagle or Fulcher and sign a nobody goalie to a temp contract in Toledo. 

I liked the Perlini trade. And even tho this one is pretty much inconsequential, I just dont see the point.

Saarijarvi wasn't even an asset though. Guy is never going to play in the NHL. We literally gave up nothing, for (more than likely) nothing. It was a depth move. We had a glut of defensemen in Grand Rapids, and lost one of our two goalies in Detroit. Good trade, similar to the Biega trade. Filled an immediate need, and doesn't impact the future whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I think you missed this:

23 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'm completely serious that Howard and Bernier are on the verge of losing their jobs. I'm a Howard slappy, but it looks like he's given up out there. That plus the weight gain is making me think his retirement is approaching early like Raffi. Bernier plain sucks.

Yotes fans were thrilled with this trade because they were going to be forced to waive Comrie after his conditioning stint, and there was heavy suspicion Winnipeg was going to claim him right back if waived. So they essentially got something for a player they were gonna lose anyway. I don't believe Yzerman is an idiot or a sucker, so I'm inclined to believe he has no intention of waiving Comrie.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think you missed this:

I'm completely serious that Howard and Bernier are on the verge of losing their jobs. I'm a Howard slappy, but it looks like he's given up out there. That plus the weight gain is making me think his retirement is approaching early like Raffi. Bernier plain sucks.

Yotes fans were thrilled with this trade because they were going to be forced to waive Comrie after his conditioning stint, and there was heavy suspicion Winnipeg was going to claim him right back if waived. So they essentially got something for a player they were gonna lose anyway. I don't believe Yzerman isn't an idiot or a sucker, so I'm inclined to believe he has no intention of waiving Comrie.

Yup.

On the one hand, this is clearly a plug for a very immediate need. At the same time, Howard is done and Bernier is most definitely not the future and Larsson isn't close to ready for NHL action, so we need to start figuring out what the hell we're going to do about our goalie situation. I'd fully expect Yzerman to look for another Comrie type this season if Comrie doesn't pan out. We need to know if we can fudge this thing for another season or if we absolutely do need to throw money at a pretty solid UFA like Lehner or Markstrom.

All of this is why I think there's a decent chance Yaroslav Askarov is our first selection in the upcoming draft. It's become clear that our goaltending situation is a disaster. Possibly the worst G depth in the league.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Yup.

On the one hand, this is clearly a plug for a very immediate need. At the same time, Howard is done and Bernier is most definitely not the future and Larsson isn't close to ready for NHL action, so we need to start figuring out what the hell we're going to do about our goalie situation. I'd fully expect Yzerman to look for another Comrie type this season if Comrie doesn't pan out. We need to know if we can fudge this thing for another season or if we absolutely do need to throw money at a pretty solid UFA like Lehner or Markstrom.

All of this is why I think there's a decent chance Yaroslav Askarov is our first selection in the upcoming draft. It's become clear that our goaltending situation is a disaster. Possibly the worst G depth in the league.

I've been saying for years now our tendy pool needs a serious injection of talent. After the Mrazek debacle we basically had nothing and a quickly aging Howard.

Kip made the point last time I advocated for Askarov, that you can build a solid skating corps, then add an average goalie and win a cup. I've been thinking about that.

Cup winning goalies the last 10 years:

2010: Niemi (Average)
2011: Thomas (Elite)
2012: Quick (Elite)
2013: Crawford (Above average)
2014: Quick (Elite)
2015: Crawford (Above average)
2016: Murray (Above average)
2017: Fleury/Murray (Elite/Above average)
2018: Holtby (Ellite)
2019: Binnington (Looking like the real deal so far, lets say above average)

The only LOL random goalie to earn a cup in there I see is Niemi.

Also almost none of those goalies are random pickups. They're all homegrown developed talent, besides maybe Niemi, Thomas, and Binnington.

I think it would also benefit this struggling group a lot to play in front of the next Tretiak/Hasek instead of randos like Comrie and Bernier for the next few years.  Sign a Lehner/Markstrom and draft Askarov. Kid will look splendid in Soviet (Detroit) red:

5dde51ae8eae76_36261725.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I've been saying for years now our tendy pool needs a serious injection of talent. After the Mrazek debacle we basically had nothing and a quickly aging Howard.

Kip made the point last time I advocated for Askarov, that you can build a solid skating corps, then add an average goalie and win a cup. I've been thinking about that.

Also almost none of those goalies are random pickups. They're all homegrown developed talent, besides maybe Niemi, Thomas, and Binnington.

I think it would also benefit this struggling group a lot to play in front of the next Tretiak/Hasek instead of randos like Comrie and Bernier for the next few years.  Sign a Lehner/Markstrom and draft Askarov. Kid will look splendid in Soviet (Detroit) red:

You and I have both said it before: The single worst thing you can do to a rebuilding team like ours is put bad goalies in their net.

I was actually shocked by the way the team played in front of Bernier when he was forced into emergency action against the Leafs. No concerted effort to suppress shots. No extra effort to make his job just a little bit easier than it typically is. They knew he was sick and still they hung him out to dry. They couldn't be bothered to put a single puck past Toronto's backup. I try not to read too much into this kind of stuff, but that looked to me like a team that is rejecting its goaltending (consciously or unconsciously, I dunno).

So, at the very least, we need to upgrade the G position. Lehner/Markstrom is music to my ears; either one would be a solid stopgap, at least in theory. If we have to overpay, we overpay. Lehner/Markstrom + Askarov means the goalie problem is Solved with a capital S, at least in theory.

I'm not saying I'd take him 1st overall. (I wouldn't.) But 4th or 5th? Or maybe even 3rd? Possibly. Could try to net something good in a trade-back deal.

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

You and I have both said it before: The single worst thing you can do to a rebuilding team like ours is put bad goalies in their net.

I was actually shocked by the way the team played in front of Bernier when he was forced into emergency action against the Leafs. No concerted effort to suppress shots. No extra effort to make his job just a little bit easier than it typically is. They knew he was sick and still they hung him out to dry. They couldn't be bothered to put a single puck past Toronto's backup. I try not to read too much into this kind of stuff, but that looked to me like a team that is rejecting its goaltending (consciously or unconsciously, I dunno).

So, at the very least, we need to upgrade the G position. Lehner/Markstrom is music to my ears; either one would be a solid stopgap, at least in theory. If we have to overpay, we overpay. Lehner/Markstrom + Askarov means the goalie problem is Solved with a capital S, at least in theory.

I'm not saying I'd take him 1st overall. (I wouldn't.) But 4th or 5th? Or maybe even 3rd? Possibly. Could try to net something good in a trade-back deal.

Too big of a risk. I would never take a goalie that high. It's the most difficult position to forecast. Too much bust potential This could be the highest pick we have since Yzerman. I would go with one of the F if I am picking that high.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't believe Yzerman is an idiot or a sucker, so I'm inclined to believe he has no intention of waiving Comrie.

I dont think that about Y either. If his plan is to play him, than ok. But you cant keep that many goalies on ur roster at once. Someone will have to be waived at some point. Losing any of them for nothing would be a mistake IMO which is potentially what this deal could do.

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Too big of a risk. I would never take a goalie that high. It's the most difficult position to forecast. Too much bust potential This could be the highest pick we have since Yzerman. I would go with one of the F if I am picking that high.

I dont think that about Y either. If his plan is to play him, than ok. But you cant keep that many goalies on ur roster at once. Someone will have to be waived at some point. Losing any of them for nothing would be a mistake IMO which is potentially what this deal could do.

My guess is Pickard gets waived. He was never supposed to be with the big club anyway

19 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Normally, I'd fully agree. Thing is, everyone seems to agree that this is the best goalie prospect in years.

One of those "high-risk, high-reward" scenarios, I guess. We could definitely use a guy like Anton Lundell, but if people are thinking he's probably a 2C who doesn't quite move the needle for our rebuild...and we're desperate for a gamechanging franchise player...the borderline-generational goalie prospect is an intriguing option.

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You were the conductor of the Larsson hype train, just a few short months ago... Have you completely given up on him because of a rough start to his first season as a pro? Larsson still has a ton of potential to possibly become a legit number one goaltender. Eliasson and Petruzzelli still have an outside shot as well. I think drafting a goaltender in the top 5 (or even 10) would be a mistake with the number of other glaring holes on this team.

37 minutes ago, Dabura said:

It's much more of a skill and even confidence thing, then it is effort, in my opinion. Our team is just that bad right now. If it were that easy to just shut down one of the leagues top offensive teams, I'm sure they'd do it more regularly. We simply don't have the horses right now.

Also, Andersen started that game, not the backup.

12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Normally, I'd fully agree. Thing is, everyone seems to agree that this is the best goalie prospect in years.

One of those "high-risk, high-reward" scenarios, I guess. We could definitely use a guy like Anton Lundell, but if people are thinking he's probably a 2C who doesn't quite move the needle for our rebuild...and we're desperate for a gamechanging franchise player...the borderline-generational goalie prospect is an intriguing option.

I just think Askarov's (any goalie) bust potential is that much higher. I will never advocate taking the "safe" pick, and I love homerun swings, but this is a draft, we must get right. Hopefully we end up with a top two pick and we won't have to worry about this...

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You were the conductor of the Larsson hype train, just a few short months ago... Have you completely given up on him because of a rough start to his first season as a pro? Larsson still has a ton of potential to possibly become a legit number one goaltender. Eliasson and Petruzzelli still have an outside shot as well. I think drafting a goaltender in the top 5 (or even 10) would be a mistake with the number of other glaring holes on this team.

I believe in right and wrong, and no in-between. Larsson is right and Petruzzelli is wrong. Howard is good and Mrazek is evil. Plus divisive goalie flame wars are fun too...

But no I haven't given up on him, or Petruzzelli, and throw in Brattstrom as welll. I'm just not convinced any will ever be AMAZE BALLS. Whereas this Askarov kid sure seems like he's gonna be AMAZE BALLS. Somebody's gotta take the kid high. Why not us!

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

It's much more of a skill and even confidence thing, then it is effort, in my opinion. Our team is just that bad right now. If it were that easy to just shut down one of the leagues top offensive teams, I'm sure they'd do it more regularly. We simply don't have the horses right now.

Also, Andersen started that game, not the backup.

I forgot Andersen started that game. Good call.

There's definitely a talent component. But some nights it feels to me like the attention to detail simply isn't there. I'm not saying we can just flip a magical switch and play perfect Trotzian shutdown defense -- I'm saying we don't even protect the net. We take away the middle, we put four skaters in front of the net, and teams still waltz right through our kitchen. There's a lot of what looks to me like going through the motions.

Even if it's almost entirely a talent thing, I think the situation still calls for an upgrade in net. If our D is so bad that it can't be trusted to do the simplest things on a consistent basis, we're probably going to need to find a goalie who can face 35+ shots every night and not give up 4 or 5 goals every night. Maybe a coaching change plus a new-look D group immediately changes the paradigm, but I'd like for us to be overprepared. Get a new starter. Get a new head coach. Bring in a good UFA defenseman. See what Seider can do.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Holtby is not elite

I've never bought into the "build from the net out" approach.

There are always scenarios where a team has a bona fide starter, with a kid nipping at his heels and they need to trade one. Get one that way.

I'm more of a fill the 2 hardest positions first (1C and 1D) and fill out your top 6 F and top 4 D from there. 

Goalies can't score, necessitating some really good skaters. But skaters can play stellar defense, making a need for an elite G null.

That's why I don't go after a G in the early 1st round. If I have 2 first rounders? Maybe. If I'm a good team drafting in the second half of the 1st and I already have a solid team of F and D, then yes. But we don't have either of those 2 scenarios.

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

There are always scenarios where a team has a bona fide starter, with a kid nipping at his heels and they need to trade one. Get one that way.

I'm more of a fill the 2 hardest positions first (1C and 1D) and fill out your top 6 F and top 4 D from there. 

Goalies can't score, necessitating some really good skaters. But skaters can play stellar defense, making a need for an elite G null.

That's why I don't go after a G in the early 1st round. If I have 2 first rounders? Maybe. If I'm a good team drafting in the second half of the 1st and I already have a solid team of F and D, then yes. But we don't have either of those 2 scenarios.

I dont think anyone has said we should draft a goalie in the first round. But we've had a definite goalie need for about 5 or 6 years now and that need has yet to be filled. Whether we get an above average or elite goalie, doesnt matter. We currently have neither. We also currently have no d. 

It will be very interesting to see how this team gets built,  since yzerman has never built a team from the ground up.

1 minute ago, Euro_Twins said:

I dont think anyone has said we should draft a goalie in the first round.

FAKE NEWS! I'm down with drafting this Yaskarov kid early in the 1st round if Yzerman and our scouts are totally sold on him and there aren't any Holy Crap This Is a Gamechanging Skater Right Here guys left on the board. In that scenario, I'd hope we could take someone to the cleaners in a trade-back deal. But if not, oh well, still take him.

8 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

It will be very interesting to see how this team gets built,  since yzerman has never built a team from the ground up.

Agreed.

Best-case scenario? We get Lafreniere, he's Stamkos Good, and Seider is Hedman Good.

2 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

In that case I hope Lafraniere is Kuch good. 

I was tempted to say Kucherov. Went with Stamkos because Stamkos and Hedman were the two fantastic building blocks that Yzerman inherited and they're the main reason why I think the jury is still out re: Yzerman's GM skillz.

For what it's worth tho...I was looking over Hedman's career stats yesterday and I was surprised by how long it took Hedman to really become That Guy. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that he was a monster as early as his sophomore season. Nope! The point being: Yzerman did inherit two top-tier talents, but maybe I and others have been overstating that point just a wee bit.

(Hedman's career stats.)

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

There's definitely a talent component. But some nights it feels to me like the attention to detail simply isn't there. I'm not saying we can just flip a magical switch and play perfect Trotzian shutdown defense -- I'm saying we don't even protect the net. We take away the middle, we put four skaters in front of the net, and teams still waltz right through our kitchen. There's a lot of what looks to me like going through the motions.

That would be a coaching thing though... I've been all about keeping Blashill around, because I have liked a lot of what he's done in regards to develop of the kids. But how much of that has really been on him? And how much of that has been good young players were going to be good anyway? Maybe some of them would have been even better under a different coach... Maybe Larkin wouldn't be in this crazy slump if he actually had decent linemates... Maybe this team wouldn't be on this crazy losing streak if we had reasonably constructed lines... Zadina playing on the 3rd line is a joke. Perlini yet to have an opportunity on a scoring line is a joke.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Even if it's almost entirely a talent thing, I think the situation still calls for an upgrade in net. If our D is so bad that it can't be trusted to do the simplest things on a consistent basis, we're probably going to need to find a goalie who can face 35+ shots every night and not give up 4 or 5 goals every night. 

I agree. However, I'm still a big believer in Larsson, and if he pans out, he'll be ready before Askarov anyway. Our D is that bad, but I don't think it's fair to assume that it will be in the next couple years. We have Seider and a few other prospects in the pipe, and I'm sure Yzerman will upgrade via trade and / or free agency as well.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Maybe a coaching change plus a new-look D group immediately changes the paradigm, but I'd like for us to be overprepared. Get a new starter. Get a new head coach. Bring in a good UFA defenseman. See what Seider can do.

I agree.

38 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Holtby is not elite

He was closer to elite when the Caps won it all, but I'm fine calling him above average either way

41 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

And goalies are essentially your only Dman that plays every single shift. From an economic/efficiency lens it makes good sense to invest in that position and build from the net out.

Acquiring an Andersen or Jones via trade is essentially gonna cost us 1st rounder and more anyway.

If you're possibly getting a generational goalie talent I'm absolutely fine spending one pick on that, even if it's a high first. The alternative being getting an average or above average goalie via trade for a late first and possibly more...

23 minutes ago, Dabura said:

FAKE NEWS! I'm down with drafting this Yaskarov kid early in the 1st round if Yzerman and our scouts are totally sold on him and there aren't any Holy Crap This Is a Gamechanging Skater Right Here guys left on the board. In that scenario, I'd hope we could take someone to the cleaners in a trade-back deal. But if not, oh well, still take him.

Agreed.

Best-case scenario? We get Lafreniere, he's Stamkos Good, and Seider is Hedman Good.

Most of my draft prospects views boil down to this. If Yzerman is cool with it, so am I. If Askarov is BPA, like Seider was, then f*** the conventional wisdom and take the darn kid..

On 12/1/2019 at 7:03 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And goalies are essentially your only Dman that plays every single shift. From an economic/efficiency lens it makes good sense to invest in that position and build from the net out.

Acquiring an Andersen or Jones via trade is essentially gonna cost us 1st rounder and more anyway.

If you're possibly getting a generational goalie talent I'm absolutely fine spending one pick on that, even if it's a high first. The alternative being getting an average or above average goalie via trade for a late first and possibly more...

A goaltender is engaged (play in the defensive zone) for, at most 40-50% of the game. That's approximately 25-30 minutes per game. A starting goaltender plays approximately 60-70% of the games. That's approximately 50-55 games a season. That's approximately 1,400 minutes per season

A defenseman (any skater) is engaged ever minute they're on the ice (offensive and defensive zone). A number one defenseman plays approximately 25-30 minutes per game, and 82 games per season (assuming no injury). That's approximately 2,200 minutes per season. Defensemen can prevent goals and score goals.

Defensemen are more important.

Never draft a goaltender in the top half of the first round.

Also, I'm drunk, so none of what I said makes any sense. Go to bed.

Also, also LGW is BACK!

On 12/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, Dabura said:

Wings can't afford to use what will be their highest pick in decades on a goalie. 

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Wings can't afford to use what will be their highest pick in decades on a goalie. 

3 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

No chance

What if we finish 31st, and as usual we drop 3 spots back to the 4th overall pick, or if by some strange miracle the Wings go on a few winning streaks thus ending the season 29th, or 30th, and then drop back a few spots - leaving us anywhere from 4th thru 6th?

If this is the case - I’m all for selecting comrade goalkeeper dude.