• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline bait available this year?

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, mackel said:

We have 2 terrible goalies in the NHL, a journeyman AHLer starting in  GR and a prospect that can't stop a beachball, and a few other prospects that aren't exactly lighting the world on fire.... and they need depth more than we do?

Yeah they literally had 3 roster goalies before Comrie. Ideally you should have like 5.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yeah they literally had 3 roster goalies before Comrie. Ideally you should have like 5.

Bodies then yes I get your point...  but this team has prospect hope at every position other than G.  Its scary bad when you start looking at the numbers.

5 minutes ago, mackel said:

Bodies then yes I get your point...  but this team has prospect hope at every position other than G.  Its scary bad when you start looking at the numbers.

I'm with you, our goal-tending needs vast improvement.

Comrie wasn't an improvement anymore than Pickard is though.

Yzerman's likely gonna go a whole different direction this summer, and that won't include Comrie, which is a good thing. Comrie's an AHL goalie.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm with you, our goal-tending needs vast improvement.

Comrie wasn't an improvement anymore than Pickard is though.

Yzerman's likely gonna go a whole different direction this summer, and that won't include Comrie, which is a good thing. Comrie's an AHL goalie.

I'll once again point to Jordan Binnington. You're likely right that Comrie won't amount to much at the NHL level, but I wouldn't right him off at the age of 24. He's been good to great everywhere else in his career. He's also said to be very smart and always willing to learn new techniques to improve his game. Anyway, it is what it is. I'll be rooting for him in Winnipeg. Seems like a good kid.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I'll once again point to Jordan Binnington. You're likely right that Comrie won't amount to much at the NHL level, but I wouldn't right him off at the age of 24. He's been good to great everywhere else in his career. He's also said to be very smart and always willing to learn new techniques to improve his game. Anyway, it is what it is. I'll be rooting for him in Winnipeg. Seems like a good kid.

Yzerman and crew got their hands on Comrie for 2 and half weeks and weren't impressed enough to keep him around. That's about all I need in order to know that Comrie is a useless bag of trash. #YzerPlan

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yzerman and crew got their hands on Comrie for 2 and half weeks and weren't impressed enough to keep him around. That's about all I need in order to know that Comrie is a useless bag of trash. #YzerPlan

Fair enough. I would have liked to see another dozen or so games this season, but if Yzerman waived him, he must be trash...

They waived Comrie??? Of course they were going to lose him. What the hell was the point of trading for him to give him three games and ship him out? Because Howard was ready? LOL I never bag on Stevie, but that was stupid. Oh well.

Would have made sense to ride it out with Pickard instead of wasting a prospect, no matter how low end, on a goalie they were just going to get rid of unless he survived a trial by fire in limited games. 

Edited by chaps80

While it isn't ideal to lose someone after two games off the waivers, but Comrie probably wasn't the solution to our long term goalie problem. But Yzerman better solves the problem this summer unless he wants to prolong the tank. Howard is declining and unlikely to get back to his former self and Bernier is too mediocre to build a cup winner around.

9 hours ago, chaps80 said:

They waived Comrie??? Of course they were going to lose him. What the hell was the point of trading for him to give him three games and ship him out? Because Howard was ready? LOL I never bag on Stevie, but that was stupid. Oh well.

Would have made sense to ride it out with Pickard instead of wasting a prospect, no matter how low end, on a goalie they were just going to get rid of unless he survived a trial by fire in limited games. 

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Saarijarvi had no value, and wasn't a part of the future. Losing Comrie, likely wasn't either, but I would have preferred to keep him over one of Howard / Bernier, who definitely aren't a part of our future...

I think SY just took a chance to get a good look if he is worth keeping or not. He obviously "impressed" not enough and the loss of Saarijarvi isn´t hurting our long term future. He gambled and it didn´t work out, but still worth trying.

9 minutes ago, ely s said:

I think SY just took a chance to get a good look if he is worth keeping or not. He obviously "impressed" not enough and the loss of Saarijarvi isn´t hurting our long term future. He gambled and it didn´t work out, but still worth trying.

I think it's more reasonable to assume that Yzerman already knew he wasn't part of the future, even before trading for him. I don't think he and his pro scouts thought, "maybe there's something there", after watching him play the past couple seasons, and then said "there's nothing there", after two games in Detroit. There was no gamble in the trade whatsoever. The only gamble was in waiving him. 

1 hour ago, derblaueClaus said:

While it isn't ideal to lose someone after two games off the waivers, but Comrie probably wasn't the solution to our long term goalie problem. But Yzerman better solves the problem this summer unless he wants to prolong the tank. Howard is declining and unlikely to get back to his former self and Bernier is too mediocre to build a cup winner around.

Not much available on july 1 so sadly if howard starts playing decent enough the rest of the way i  can see us signing him to one year unless stevie can find a taker prior to trade deadline and pulls the trigger and decides to move on. If that happens holtby(which i wouldnt sign) and lehner(i suspect the hawks will resign) would probably be the best options, after that its a goalie type tandem situation and maybe someone like greiss?halak?(who seem’s to have found a home in boston) 

i think our best option might be to trade for someone like georgiev from the rangers , sheshtyorkin is most likely the future there and lundqvist isnt going anywhere so he would be my #1 pick of who we should go after, after that id look in other leagues for someone. In the khl i’d target krasikov first as he’s been pretty solid overall the last 4 years and just turned 24 and has size , granted i don’t know his contract situation

After that there’s sorokin in the khl as well but i doubt the islanders trade him and likely brought in varlamov to help transition him in. I doubt colorado would trade him and granted he’d be years away and likely wouldn’t deal him in a package but they have a 19 yr old kid annunen leading la liiga with a 947% so if he can somehow pry him away and add him into our pipeline i’d consider it. Either way i don’t think free agency is going to help us much and stevie will have to make a deal , haven’t written off larsson yet but it’s a shame he hasn’t dominated the ahl this season

On 12/20/2019 at 11:08 PM, krsmith17 said:

Saarijarvi had no value, and wasn't a part of the future. Losing Comrie, likely wasn't either, but I would have preferred to keep him over one of Howard / Bernier, who definitely aren't a part of our future...

Agreed. But if he wasn't going to give Comrie a real shot, he should have just called up Pickard and given him the playing time. Just seems absolutely pointless. 

Winnipeg ended up taking him back off waivers, and they're sitting at 3rd overall in the West. They must feel there's something there if he's given the time to work on it. He's barely seen any NHL action in his career. Who knows. Weird stuff.

Edited by chaps80

7 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Agreed. But if he wasn't going to give Comrie a real shot, he should have just called up Pickard and given him the playing time. Just seems absolutely pointless. 

Winnipeg ended up taking him back off waivers, and they're sitting at 3rd overall in the West. They must feel there's something there if he's given the time to work on it. He's barely seen any NHL action in his career. Who knows. Weird stuff.

I completely agree that we should have given Comrie a longer look. There were other options than just waiving him after two games. I just don't look at the trade as a negative, regardless how the situation ended up playing out. Saarijarvi was a nothing prospect. No loss there.

22 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Comrie was a warm body and former peg guy. Leave it to LGW to get worked about some other teams MCollum lol

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Comrie was a warm body and former peg guy. Leave it to LGW to get worked about some other teams MCollum lol

Meh, it's not a huge deal. It was just pointless. Shoulda given Pickard the playing time and kept Svetch. 

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This is the second time you've said this, and again, there is not a single person getting "worked" about this. We're simply discussing it. This is a "discussion board", afterall... Pretty much everyone has echoed the same opinion - the move made little sense, but at the end of the day, it's not really a big deal.

18 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

This is the second time you've said this, and again, there is not a single person getting "worked" about this. We're simply discussing it. This is a "discussion board", afterall... Pretty much everyone has echoed the same opinion - the move made little sense, but at the end of the day, it's not really a big deal.

Downplay it all u like. Everyones calling the trade LOL pointless and would rather stick with winnipegs mccollum than howard n bern. Yall are nutbars sometimes. 

48 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Downplay it all u like. Everyones calling the trade LOL pointless and would rather stick with winnipegs mccollum than howard n bern. Yall are nutbars sometimes. 

Not me. I would rather SY not have made the trade at all for reasons I 've already stated.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Explain the upside in keeping Howard and Bernier... There is none. They both suck.

Comrie has sucked so far, but is at least young enough that he could have become a part of the future. Even if you put that at 5-10%, that's still much higher than the 0% that Howard / Bernier are part of the future...

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Not me. I would rather SY not have made the trade at all for reasons I 've already stated.

I don't get this at all. Sure, in hindsight maybe Yzerman should have kept figuratively nothing, over literally nothing, but losing Saarijarvi does not hurt us in any way. 

On 12/24/2019 at 6:21 AM, krsmith17 said:

Explain the upside in keeping Howard and Bernier... There is none. They both suck.

Comrie has sucked so far, but is at least young enough that he could have become a part of the future. Even if you put that at 5-10%, that's still much higher than the 0% that Howard / Bernier are part of the future...

I don't get this at all. Sure, in hindsight maybe Yzerman should have kept figuratively nothing, over literally nothing, but losing Saarijarvi does not hurt us in any way. 

Bernier isnt anything to write home about, but hes better than Comrie and probably will be for a few more seasons at the very least. 

Howard was absolutely normal Howard up until nov. 

Typical howard bashing. Everyone so eager to move on after one bad stretch.

28 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Bernier isnt anything to write home about, but hes better than Comrie and probably will be for a few more seasons at the very least. 

Howard was absolutely normal Howard up until nov. 

Typical howard bashing. Everyone so eager to move on after one bad stretch.

Yup, he might be better for a few more seasons. But then again, he might not. Which is my whole point. This team isn't winning anything in the next few seasons with a 32+ year old average goaltender. They might win in the next few seasons with a 24ish year old goaltender though.

When you're a team in the position the Wings are currently in, you need to make decisions based on the future, not the now. 

Howard sucks, because he's old. Bernier sucks, because he's getting old, and was never great to begin with. Comrie sucks, because he's young and isn't finished developing. He might always suck, but he might not...

Anyway, I'm done with this. Agree to disagree.

Yup, he might be better for a few more seasons. But then again, he might not. Which is my whole point. This team isn't winning anything in the next few seasons with a 32+ year old average goaltender. They might win in the next few seasons with a 24ish year old goaltender though.

No one's winning anything with a 25-30 year old Comrie, and if they do it's incidental with him on the bench.

When you're a team in the position the Wings are currently in, you need to make decisions based on the future, not the now.

I totally 100% disagree with this notion. Rebuilding does not equal ignoring the present team. That's a nerdy, on paper only, autistic, view from an ivory tower, take on the team that I will never get behind.

The current team absolutely matters. It matters to Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha, Hronek, and everyone else you care about.

I remember your aversion to Nemeth and Filppula as well. Both were absolutely necessary additions, despite your constant cooing that it would harm the kids. This team is a joke with these players, and it's a total farce without them.

I want to highlight here and now the backlash I take for not giving a s*** about an D rate goalie like Comrie, remember the name when I mock you for liking him in a few years. This is precisely in my mind what is wrong with fandom.  A player, while average, gets absolutely no support from his fanbase after a rough stretch.. I'm thinking of Howard now.

10+ years he's given to the Red Wings and you can't wait to get rid of him. Sad. Just sad. A poor ten game stretch and he might as well eat s*** and die. You people are not the Wings fans I fell in love with.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No one's winning anything with a 25-30 year old Comrie, and if they do it's incidental with him on the bench.

I totally 100% disagree with this notion. Rebuilding does not equal ignoring the present team. That's a nerdy, on paper only, autistic, view from an ivory tower, take on the team that I will never get behind.

The current team absolutely matters. It matters to Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha, Hronek, and everyone else you care about.

I remember your aversion to Nemeth and Filppula as well. Both were absolutely necessary additions, despite your constant cooing that it would harm the kids. This team is a joke with these players, and it's a total farce without them.

I want to highlight here and now the backlash I take for not giving a s*** about an D rate goalie like Comrie, remember the name when I mock you for liking him in a few years. This is precisely in my mind what is wrong with fandom.  A player, while average, gets absolutely no support from his fanbase after a rough stretch.. I'm thinking of Howard now.

10+ years he's given to the Red Wings and you can't wait to get rid of him. Sad. Just sad. A poor ten game stretch and he might as well eat s*** and die. You people are not the Wings fans I fell in love with.

Soooo much wrong with this post...

First of all, as much as you want to pretend you know, no one knows what a 23-24 year old goaltender will be in 2-3 years time, including Comrie. We've seen countless times, a goaltender develop, become an NHL starter, and even win the Cup beyond the age of 24. It absolutely can happen. Not to say it will happen with Comrie. The odds are definitely against him, but like I mentioned previously about the 5-10% vs 0%...

I never said to "ignore the present". Ignoring the present would include selling off every piece for the future. I'm simply saying to rid ourselves of one broken down piece, in favor of a young potential piece.

Complete conjecture, but if I were to guess, I would bet the young core would have preferred to keep the young goaltender that is around their age, and can develop with, rather than the goaltender that will be gone next season / the following season.

I'm sure these guys want to win every single night, but they're also not clueless to the situation. They know they aren't doing s*** this season. Losing Howard or Bernier does not affect this team. They've both been good for about 4 goals against per game. Not good.

I wasn't at all against signing Filppula or Nemeth. I just didn't think they were necessary. Mainly Filppula because he was an exact replica of Nielsen, up until this season. It turns out Filppula has had a much better season, but that could have just as easily gone the other way. I didn't love the Nemeth signing, but I understood it from a management perspective.

No one is giving you "backlash" for not giving a s*** about Comrie. I don't think anyone here cares too much about Comrie. A few of us would have just preferred to move on from the old broken down goalie, and kept the younger, equally as s***ty goalie. None of this has nothing to do with Comrie. 

Next season, it comes down to Nielsen or Turgeon / Ehn for the final roster spot. One has had a solid NHL career, but is washed up as f***. The other hasn't shown a whole lot of promise thus far, but is much younger, would be as good now, and potentially better in the future, and costs a fraction of the price. Who do you waive? I don't think anyone would be too upset about losing a Turgeon / Ehn to waivers, but pretty much everyone would be upset with the decision to waive either over Nielsen. Very similar situation...