• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline bait available this year?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Considering 3 of them were playing in the top six 7 years ago, then yeah, that would be a really good bottom 6. If Yzerman didnt think they were worthy to play in the bottom 6, they wouldnt be there. They're all capable bottom 6 forwards. 

Your kidding right? Abdelkader and nielsen are here because no other team will take them with their contracts. Were stuck with them 

Yzerman signed none of those guys and im pretty sure outside maybe glendening everyone is gone as soon as possible. Backes at 6 million is a severe overpayment , we were just discussing taking on his contract if we can land a 1st/2nd rounder to speed up this trainwreck quicker so we dont miss the playoffs for 25 years 

20 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Your kidding right? Abdelkader and nielsen are here because no other team will take them with their contracts. Were stuck with them 

Yzerman signed none of those guys and im pretty sure outside maybe glendening everyone is gone as soon as possible. Backes at 6 million is a severe overpayment , we were just discussing taking on his contract if we can land a 1st/2nd rounder to speed up this trainwreck quicker so we dont miss the playoffs for 25 years 

1. Abby and Nielsen are bottom 6 caliber NHL players. Just because they're overpaid doesn't change that. Are you saying that Abby and Nielsen couldn't find jobs in the NHL if they were only making 2 million dollars a year? Cuz you'd be wrong.

2. Doesn't matter who signed them. If Yzerman didn't think they were NHL caliber players he could just demote them to GR like he did Ericsson. He hasn't done that because he still sees them as capable bottom 6 forwards, just really overpaid ones.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

1. Abby and Nielsen are bottom 6 caliber NHL players. Just because they're overpaid doesn't change that. Are you saying that Abby and Nielsen couldn't find jobs in the NHL if they were only making 2 million dollars a year? Cuz you'd be wrong.

2. Doesn't matter who signed them. If Yzerman didn't think they were NHL caliber players he could just demote them to GR like he did Ericsson. He hasn't done that because he still sees them as capable bottom 6 forwards, just really overpaid ones.

I don't think either player is on 3/4 of the rosters in the NHL.  We happen to be in the 1/4 where they are because we simply don't have any better options.  These guys are placeholders, that's it.

But I agree, by the time we can replace them, they will be history.   I doubt Yzerman would think twice about having a 4/5 million per year AHLer for a couple of seasons. 

19 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I'm sure come summer the Sens will need to take on money to reach the cap floor. They also seem to like veterans that other teams want to get rid of. 

Nielsen to Ottawa for 2021 3rd round pick...

566048-1536864832-wide.jpg.bc62459c3ba425881ccff3fdc02d5e7a.jpg

10 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

No they wouldnt , the way this seasons going theyd have go be making league minimum. Thats how bad they’ve been 

Ericsson has one year left in his deal compared to 3/4 for the other guys .The kids arent ready yet as well which is fortunate for them . I can see nielsen/abdelkader spending 2-3 years in grand rapids mentoring kids if we land lafraniere and some kids graduate . Theyd have to hope we trade helm and glendening to stick around

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

No they wouldnt , the way this seasons going theyd have go be making league minimum. Thats how bad they’ve been 

Ericsson has one year left in his deal compared to 3/4 for the other guys .The kids arent ready yet as well which is fortunate for them . I can see nielsen/abdelkader spending 2-3 years in grand rapids mentoring kids if we land lafraniere and some kids graduate . Theyd have to hope we trade helm and glendening to stick around

If Yzerman cut both players loose this summer, they would both find jobs in the NHL. Probably one or 2 year, show me type deals, with huge paycuts. But minimum salary? No. They are both still NHL caliber players. Their numbers have fallen significantly this year, but they both have plenty to offer teams looking for veteran depth at the F position.

Just now, krsmith17 said:

I'd be completely okay with retaining 50%.

Absolutely. Nielson and Abby should both be heavily shopped at 50% salary retention. Take what you can get for them. Addition by subtraction. It's the roster spots they take up that hurts, not the cap. 

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If Yzerman cut both players loose this summer, they would both find jobs in the NHL. Probably one or 2 year, show me type deals, with huge paycuts. But minimum salary? No. They are both still NHL caliber players. Their numbers have fallen significantly this year, but they both have plenty to offer teams looking for veteran depth at the F position.

I disagree. If Nielsen were bought out this summer, I don't think he'd find a team willing to sign him above league minimum. And even then, I think he'd be hard pressed to find a job. He's fallen off significantly, and he'll only continue to decline. There will be better, younger free agents available, not to mention every team has players in their system as good or better than Nielsen.

Abdelkader, I agree with you on. I think he can still be a capable 4th line winger, and at around $1-1.5M, I can see a handful of teams being interested, including Detroit. Unfortunately, he's making about $3M too much right now...

6 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Absolutely. Nielson and Abby should both be heavily shopped at 50% salary retention. Take what you can get for them. Addition by subtraction. It's the roster spots they take up that hurts, not the cap. 

I'd be okay with keeping Abdelkader around as an overpaid 4th line grinder for the next few seasons, but yeah, if we can trade him, I'd do it. Nielsen needs to go. Hopefully this summer.

4 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Wait. Are we talking about Ottawa trading for Nielsen to get to the floor?  Why would the Wings retain salary? 

Yeah, that was the original point, but I'd just shop Nielsen at 50% and hope some team takes him. But yeah, I doubt it. If a trade can't be made (without giving up too much), I'd buy him out this summer.

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I disagree. If Nielsen were bought out this summer, I don't think he'd find a team willing to sign him above league minimum. And even then, I think he'd be hard pressed to find a job. He's fallen off significantly, and he'll only continue to decline. There will be better, younger free agents available, not to mention every team has players in their system as good or better than Nielsen.

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, that was the original point, but I'd just shop Nielsen at 50% and hope some team takes him. But yeah, I doubt it. If a trade can't be made (without giving up too much), I'd buy him out this summer.

So nobody would take him at league minimum in exchange for nothing, but someone would trade for him at half his current salary. Hmmmm.........

19 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So nobody would take him at league minimum in exchange for nothing, but someone would trade for him at half his current salary. Hmmmm.........

"But yeah, I doubt it"...

I don't think any team would have any interest in Nielsen at $2.625M, especially giving up an asset. Maybe if they could acquire an asset, a team might bite. But like I said, I wouldn't trade him, giving up much of anything in assets. If it comes to that, which it likely would, I'd just buy him out.

I really do think Yzerman will pull the trigger on a buyout this summer...

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Plenty to offer? what 5-8 minutes a night with 8-20 pts a season? Sorry disagree , and cant see them getting more than 1 million or a 1 year deal 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Was looking at our trade options this year for the deadline and we definetly got f***ed with everyone just having a god awful season and had me thinking to 2021 

unless they get dealt we’ll have nemeth/helm/glendening/filppula  .... dmen are usually in demand so “maybe” we’d be lucky to find someone to give us a 2nd for nemeth but likely not , maybe glendening but again likely not 

Was thinking we should target 1-2 guys july 1 for one year deals with the sole intention of using them as bait . Kovalchuk comes to mind , he was s*** in l.a for whatever reason but so far in mtl hes been producing and if he can be had on a one year deal so long as its nothing crazy like 5+ id consider it 

other forward options 

jimmy vesey , carl soderberg,erik haula , tyler toffoli, alex galchenyuk 

d options (and the likeliest target july 1) 

bogosian,schultz,shattenkirk,bouwmeester

anyways point is we should look to add more potential trade bait for next year . Im sure we’ll be alot better next year if we win the draft +seider and zadina all year but we’ll still be on the outside looking in 

On 1/14/2020 at 1:07 PM, nyqvististhefuture said:

Plenty to offer? what 5-8 minutes a night with 8-20 pts a season? Sorry disagree , and cant see them getting more than 1 million or a 1 year deal 

That's not all that GMs look at. Nielsen is a veteran middle 6, 2 way center. He would be a great mentor. Abby is a veteran bottom 6 winger with a Stanley Cup and a proven leader. Glendening is a veteran bottom six forward with a great work ethic and leadership qualities. If you don't think that these are qualities GMs look for, pay more attention.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:07 AM, nyqvististhefuture said:

Nielsen plays 14 minutes a night
Abby plays 12

Idk how anybody feels about giving them a job thou. I wouldn't unless they signed for almost league min for no term. Kinda like Ennis or Spezza.

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Nielsen plays 14 minutes a night
Abby plays 12

Idk how anybody feels about giving them a job thou. I wouldn't unless they signed for almost league min for no term. Kinda like Ennis or Spezza.

At their current salaries? No one would.

Nielsen would likely get better offers to play in Europe.

Abby would absolutely find a job as a 4th liner. I could still see him clearing 2 mil too. Someone would definitely take a flyer on a 1 or 2 yr deal.

Glendening would get signed July 1st for sure. Probably a 3 year deal.

Filppula might get a 1 year deal. MAYBE

Helm would probably get a 2 year deal at 2.5 per. Cuz he still has wheels.

30 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

At their current salaries? No one would.

Nielsen would likely get better offers to play in Europe.

Abby would absolutely find a job as a 4th liner. I could still see him clearing 2 mil too. Someone would definitely take a flyer on a 1 or 2 yr deal.

Glendening would get signed July 1st for sure. Probably a 3 year deal.

Filppula might get a 1 year deal. MAYBE

Helm would probably get a 2 year deal at 2.5 per. Cuz he still has wheels.

I hear ya. I would just avoid those 2 players as a GM for the same reason a lot of GMs would right now. Was it the Wings? Or was it them? nothing to do with their caphits. It's the same reason why FA's don't wanna go to bad teams in the first place. Could possibly wreck your career.

Both Abby and Niels are probably better at D than most folks realize. Could Abby stil get 2 mil in the NHL tomorrow? Meh I highly doubt it.

Glendog, Fil, and Helm can still serve teams well thou

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That's not all that GMs look at. Nielsen is a veteran middle 6, 2 way center. He would be a great mentor. Abby is a veteran bottom 6 winger with a Stanley Cup and a proven leader. Glendening is a veteran bottom six forward with a great work ethic and leadership qualities. If you don't think that these are qualities GMs look for, pay more attention.

Bottom line player now , and he might be a Great mentor , for league minimum  ....jonathan ericsson is a cup winner , lets see how many people come knocking next month 

And i dont know why your bringing glendening into this lol He was never mentioned with those 2 , its ok we have so many 4th line guys on this team i can see someone getting mixed up with the players