• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Midterm Grades per Mlive article

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Yeah - I just don't share some fans opinion/enthusiasm...This team is depressing, and even our top players are having a total $hit season.

I think "our top players having a s*** season" is mostly because "this team is depressing" (a complete and utter disaster). Larkin is / will be a legitimate 1C. Mantha is a legitimate 1W. Surround these players with other top tier talent, and we'll be in good shape.

11 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

We better damn win the lotto.

Yes. As good as some of our players / prospects may be, none of them are elite. We need an elite player(s). Alexis Lafreniere would speed this rebuild up significantly.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:20 AM, F.Michael said:

But Hank, and Dats delivered - they were 'All-Star' calibre players...Larkin? Mantha? etc?

:confused:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Larkin and Mantha are the new Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I'm just saying 1) the Euro Twins were always surrounded by high-end talent, which undoubtedly helped them, and 2) it took them a little while to reach their potential.

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Larkin and Mantha are the new Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I'm just saying 1) the Euro Twins were always surrounded by high-end talent, which undoubtedly helped them, and 2) it took them a little while to reach their potential.

This. Dats and Hank had a few years under their belt before they got thrust into leading roles. Larkin was thrust into it much earlier, with very little help.

Dats was almost traded at one point. Let's not pretend he was an A;;-star calibre player from the get go. He was a playoff bust for a while. 

34 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

This. Dats and Hank had a few years under their belt before they got thrust into leading roles. Larkin was thrust into it much earlier, with very little help.

Dats was almost traded at one point. Let's not pretend he was an A;;-star calibre player from the get go. He was a playoff bust for a while. 

Scott Gomez says "hi" 

56 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

I remember when Datsyuk was "a soft Euro who can't get the job done in the playoffs." And y'know what? I'd be lying if I said I myself didn't entertain those thoughts.

That's one of the hard truths of a rebuild: Getting back into the playoffs is only half the battle. Even elite players and powerhouse teams typically need to experience at least a couple of disappointing postseason exits before they're truly ready to go on a deep, serious playoff run.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The NHL has become "a young man's game," sure, but if you're gonna win a Cup, the sweet spot for your core players on your hypothetical Cup-winning team is 27-32 years old, not 20-25 years old.

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I remember when Datsyuk was "a soft Euro who can't get the job done in the playoffs." And y'know what? I'd be lying if I said I myself didn't entertain those thoughts.

That's one of the hard truths of a rebuild: Getting back into the playoffs is only half the battle. Even elite players and powerhouse teams typically need to experience at least a couple of disappointing postseason exits before they're truly ready to go on a deep, serious playoff run.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The NHL has become "a young man's game," sure, but if you're gonna win a Cup, the sweet spot for your core players on your hypothetical Cup-winning team is 27-32 years old, not 20-25 years old.

This is exactly why it's f***ing dumb to say so-and-so sucks at the age of 19-23. We don't have any elite talent on this team, and probably not currently in the organization, but we do have a lot of high end talent. Sure, times are tough right now, but there's a lot to be excited about for the future.

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

*barf*

can you imagine?

Same with that Yashin/Yzerman stuff. We could literally be on a longer-than-the-Leafs cup drought right now if that one occurred. 

Thank God Mike Ilitch didn't want Grand Master Y  moved...I remember those rumours...

Edited by F.Michael

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He's only 23 and hasn't hit his prime yet. To say he sucks worse than Andersson is way too premature.

I don't really think saying that a 4th line plug "sucks" is all that comparable to saying that a 1st line center "sucks"...

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Is this a down year for him? Sure. But he will bounce back. 

I sure hope he can bounce back to his 12 point pace of last season (yet to score 12 points in his career). If he can, we'll have a real player on our hands...

14 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't really think saying that a 4th line plug "sucks" is all that comparable to saying that a 1st line center "sucks"...

Who are you talking about?

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I sure hope he can bounce back to his 12 point pace of last season (yet to score 12 points in his career). If he can, we'll have a real player on our hands...

Eric Comrie was 24 and you were trying to convince me he would add great value to GR and maybe had the potential to help the Wings in the future.

Chris Ehn is even younger, why can't he provide depth to GR and maybe help the Wings in the future?

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Eric Comrie was 24 and you were trying to convince me he would add great value to GR and maybe had the potential to help the Wings in the future.

Players (forwards) prime / developmental path is much different than goaltenders... but you know this.

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Chris Ehn is even younger, why can't he provide depth to GR and maybe help the Wings in the future?

He can... I'd be okay with signing Ehn to another two-way contract this summer, with the purpose of sending him to Grand Rapids for organizational depth...

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Players (forwards) prime / developmental path is much different than goaltenders... but you know this.

So what's your point? Comrie has potential and Ehn doesn't?

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

He can... I'd be okay with signing Ehn to another two-way contract this summer, with the purpose of sending him to Grand Rapids for organizational depth...

Why would you want to re-sign a guy - who in your words - has lesser skill than Joakim Andersson? Honestly confused.

So what's your point? Comrie has potential and Ehn doesn't?

In my opinion, yes.

Why would you want to re-sign a guy - who in your words - has lesser skill than Joakim Andersson? Honestly confused.

Organizational depth... Do you think Andersson is no longer with the organization because he wasn't good enough for the AHL? No. Andersson is no longer with the organization because he wasn't good enough for the NHL. He couldn't hack it in Detroit, so rather than playing in Grand Rapids, he moved back home to Sweden to play in the SHL.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ehn take a similar path, but if he wants to stay in North America, I'm all for re-signing him to play in Grand Rapids.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

This is exactly why it's f***ing dumb to say so-and-so sucks at the age of 19-23. We don't have any elite talent on this team, and probably not currently in the organization, but we do have a lot of high end talent. Sure, times are tough right now, but there's a lot to be excited about for the future.

s-l1000.jpg

20 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ok, why does Comrie have potential but not Ehn? Ehn is 23. Still very young for a forward.

If we were talking about a highly skilled player, that just hasn't yet gotten an opportunity, I'd agree. At this point though, Ehn has shown very little skill, and has had plenty opportunity. Another player you say "sucks", is exactly what I just described. Highly skilled player (high draft pick), that just hasn't yet gotten an opportunity (due to injury). At worst, I think (sucky) Svechnikov could be a significant upgrade over Ehn (the player you're so eager to defend)...

Could Ehn be a reliable 4th line winger? Sure, I guess, but I see him out of the NHL within a couple years...

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

If we were talking about a highly skilled player, that just hasn't yet gotten an opportunity, I'd agree.

We're not talking about that

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

At this point though, Ehn has shown very little skill, and has had plenty opportunity. Another player you say "sucks", is exactly what I just described. Highly skilled player (high draft pick), that just hasn't yet gotten an opportunity (due to injury). At worst, I think (sucky) Svechnikov could be a significant upgrade over Ehn (the player you're so eager to defend)...

Could Ehn be a reliable 4th line winger? Sure, I guess, but I see him out of the NHL within a couple years...

Quit beating around the bush.

Why does a 24 year old goalie have potential, but a 23 year old forward doesn't?

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We're not talking about that

Quit beating around the bush.

Why does a 24 year old goalie have potential, but a 23 year old forward doesn't?

I already answered that question... 

Why does a 23 year old player that has put up 11 points in 95 games still have potential, but a 23 year old player (7 months younger, and missed an entire season to injury) that has put up 4 points in 20 games, suck?

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I already answered that question... 

Why does a 23 year old player that has put up 11 points in 95 games still have potential, but a 23 year old player (7 months younger, and missed an entire season to injury) that has put up 4 points in 20 games, suck?

No you haven't answered it. You just keep pulling up Svech as a Red Herring.

I suspect you're smart enough to realize you're not able to address Comrie v. Ehn potentials without contradicting yourself and that's why your resorting to fallacy. But if you'd like to, I'd be willing to discuss sucky Svech as soon as we've tackled it.