• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil Lesh

Dylan Larkin's comments on ASG Last Man In voting...

Rate this topic

So I;m watching the Rangers and Canucks tonight and during the second intermission they bring up Larkin being asked about his thoughts on it and the competition that surrounds it. He  says "Please don't vote" with a smile. Then he basically says he'd rather have the days off and that there are other guys that are more deserving than he is. I don't see a problem with that. He makes a good point. But then 'ol Brian Burke call Dylan "stupid" and says that he should have consideration for the NHL and it's corporate partners. He goes on to equate this fan vote thing with the "honor" of being selected as an all star. "If you get voted in, get on a plane and keep your mouth shut".

Is Burke trying to fill the void left by Don Cherry's absence? I mean, you can't blame Larkin. Playing every night on this team has to be a load, Who wouldn't want to squeeze out a few extra days off?

6 hours ago, Phil Lesh said:

So I;m watching the Rangers and Canucks tonight and during the second intermission they bring up Larkin being asked about his thoughts on it and the competition that surrounds it. He  says "Please don't vote" with a smile. Then he basically says he'd rather have the days off and that there are other guys that are more deserving than he is. I don't see a problem with that. He makes a good point. But then 'ol Brian Burke call Dylan "stupid" and says that he should have consideration for the NHL and it's corporate partners. He goes on to equate this fan vote thing with the "honor" of being selected as an all star. "If you get voted in, get on a plane and keep your mouth shut".

Is Burke trying to fill the void left by Don Cherry's absence? I mean, you can't blame Larkin. Playing every night on this team has to be a load, Who wouldn't want to squeeze out a few extra days off?

Even if Larkin made the comments jokingly, Burke is 100% in the right to criticize him.

Larkin is 23 and isnt going to the playoffs. He doesnt need the time off, he wants the time off... cause hes lazy and he sucks.

The team being bad does not earn u time off. In fact it earns u the exact opposite. This entire team should be bag skated every day of the all star break. 

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

A real man does not accept an honor he doesn't deserve. I don't care what Burke says.

What are you on?

He hasn't refused anything, or even been awarded "the honor" yet.

Also it's a fan vote my dood. If he DID refuse that's basically a direct spit into the face of fans who voted him in.

Not that he really considers it an honor anyway. He'd rather have the time off.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What are you on?

He hasn't refused anything, or even been awarded "the honor" yet.

Also it's a fan vote my dood. If he DID refuse that's basically a direct spit into the face of fans who voted him in.

Not that he really considers it an honor anyway. He'd rather have the time off.

1. The fan vote is a popularity contest. How else do you think someone like John Scott got in? It literally has nothing to do with skill, ability, achievement, etc.

2. If someone offers you an honor, reward, trophy, award, etc that is not deserved...or is more deserved by another (which would be the case with Larkin), then he shouldn't accept if he doesn't believe he's earned it.

10 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

1. The fan vote is a popularity contest. How else do you think someone like John Scott got in? It literally has nothing to do with skill, ability, achievement, etc.

2. If someone offers you an honor, reward, trophy, award, etc that is not deserved...or is more deserved by another (which would be the case with Larkin), then he shouldn't accept if he doesn't believe he's earned it.

1. Exactly, it's not an honor, reward, trophy, or award, it's a popularity contest. And it seems pretty clear Larkin sees it the same way.

2. Point moot. We just established it's a popularity contest.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Yes, but the All Star game is still about being the best in the game too. I mean, guys like Crosby and McDavid probably have more haters than actual fans. Yet they still get in because they deserve to be there.

If Larkin got in, it would be because he won a popularity contest, not because his play on the ice warrants it. It would be an empty "honor". I wouldn't accept it either. I would thank the fans for their support, but would decline the invitation. I don't think anyone should hold it against him either.

9 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yes, but the All Star game is still about being the best in the game too. I mean, guys like Crosby and McDavid probably have more haters than actual fans. Yet they still get in because they deserve to be there.

Crosby isn't in the ASG

If the ASG was about the best players Bertuzzi, Duclair, Holtby, Eric Staal, and Silvferberg wouldn't be there.

Likewise, Marchand, Barkov, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Malkin, Marner, Bergeron, Crosby, Price (among many others) would be there.

But that isn't the case.

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If Larkin got in, it would be because he won a popularity contest, not because his play on the ice warrants it. It would be an empty "honor". I wouldn't accept it either. I would thank the fans for their support, but would decline the invitation. I don't think anyone should hold it against him either.

So you think Bertuzzi is "dishonorable" for accepting his invitation? He admitted he doesn't deserve to be there.

ASG is marketing game that no one takes seriously. The players don't play hard and vets often turn down their invitations. Most fans don't watch the ASG, and no one cares how many times a player has been to ASG's. For laughs we voted in John Scott one year and they had the highest viewership they've ever had I believe.

You can keep pretending it's some high honor to attend this thing and that Larkin is being noble by telling fans not to vote for him, but I will take him at his literal word. He simply would rather spend time doing something else.  

27 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You can keep pretending it's some high honor to attend this thing and that Larkin is being noble by telling fans not to vote for him, but I will take him at his literal word. He simply would rather spend time doing something else.  

Why should this be considered a bad thing though? The All-Star game is a f***ing joke. You've even said so yourself. I'm not at all shocked that Larkin, or any other player would rather do literally anything, than go to that watered down, joke of an event. The only thing I'm a little surprised about is Larkin actually saying it to the media. I applaud him for speaking his mind though, and not being a robot, like 99% of the other NHL players.

Larkin is having a down year (stats wise), so I don't really blame him for not wanting to attend the "all-star" game, knowing there are so many more deserving players this season.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Why should this be considered a bad thing though? The All-Star game is a f***ing joke. You've even said so yourself. I'm not at all shocked that Larkin, or any other player would rather do literally anything, than go to that watered down, joke of an event. The only thing I'm a little surprised about is Larkin actually saying it to the media. I applaud him for speaking his mind though, and not being a robot, like 99% of the other NHL players.

Larkin is having a down year (stats wise), so I don't really blame him for not wanting to attend the "all-star" game, knowing there are so many more deserving players this season.

The mental gymnastics to defend the golden boy at all costs on full display today I see

I have no doubt Larkin would rather stay home. I think almost every player out there would rather stay home.

The difference is Alex Ovechkin turned down his invitation because he's old and said he needs the break to prepare himself for the coming playoff run. Very similar to Zetterberg. It makes sense, and Ovi has earned that privilege as a superstar with titles and a cup.

Larkin is 23 and has no chance of playing in the post season. He wants to stay home because he'd rather go fishing or drinking or whatever than represent his team at the ASG. I don't blame him for that, It's just a really dumb comment to make in his position being an under-performing player on the most under-performing team. Which is why he got the backlash from fans and from Burke.

But if you guys want to live in a bubble where these comments "make him honorable and an interesting person" go right ahead.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The mental gymnastics to defend the golden boy at all costs on full display today I see

I have no doubt Larkin would rather stay home. I think almost every player out there would rather stay home.

The difference is Alex Ovechkin turned down his invitation because he's old and said he needs the break to prepare himself for the coming playoff run. Very similar to Zetterberg. It makes sense, and Ovi has earned that privilege as a superstar with titles and a cup.

Larkin is 23 and has no chance of playing in the post season. He wants to stay home because he'd rather go fishing or drinking or whatever than represent his team at the ASG. I don't blame him for that, It's just a really dumb comment to make in his position being an under-performing player on the most under-performing team. Which is why he got the backlash from fans and from Burke.

But if you guys want to live in a bubble where these comments "make him honorable and an interesting person" go right ahead.

You and Burke are too focused on the "days off" comment, which was obviously said in jest. Here is the full comment:

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/red-wings-dylan-larkin-doesnt-want-fans-all-star-votes

Larkin was saying that there were more deserving players, which is why he didn't want to be voted in. Nothing wrong with that. 

As for Bertuzzi, totally different scenario. He was the best player on his team, and every team gets one player on the ASG roster (which I don't agree with BTW). So by that metric, he deserved to be there. 

I'm not living in a bubble. But I will stick up for a player who is a victim of having words taken out of context and then being unfairly criticized for it, when in reality, he doesnt want a reward he doesnt feel he deserves.

5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You and Burke are too focused on the "days off" comment, which was obviously said in jest. Here is the full comment:

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/red-wings-dylan-larkin-doesnt-want-fans-all-star-votes

Larkin was saying that there were more deserving players, which is why he didn't want to be voted in. Nothing wrong with that. 

As for Bertuzzi, totally different scenario. He was the best player on his team, and every team gets one player on the ASG roster (which I don't agree with BTW). So by that metric, he deserved to be there. 

I'm not living in a bubble. But I will stick up for a player who is a victim of having words taken out of context and then being unfairly criticized for it, when in reality, he doesnt want a reward he doesnt feel he deserves.

"Please don't vote for me" was said laughingly in jest.

"I like the days off more" was not. If it was, it wasn't humorous in the slightest, which makes the comment even dumber.

"I’m sure there’s guys more deserving to go. I’m fine with that.” He's absolutely right about that. He's nowhere close to an all star this season. But as we've already established, this isn't about who is the best.

Take it to one extreme or the other, I just chalk it up to a young player saying something dumb in the media. Fans are not happy about this season and saying you want time off was a poor read of the room.

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I guess I look at all of this as follows.

In this order - GTFO:

1. The NHL all star game. Is stupid

2. Brian Burke. Is stupid

3. Larkin. Was stupid. 

I really don't think Brian Burke is a stupid man. Old school and abrasive? Definitely. I disagree with him on A LOT of things, but he usually has good explanation of why he does what he does even if I disagree.

Had the pleasure to see him speak at a career thing for law students one time. He's exactly like he is in person as he is in the media. He's unapologetically strong-minded and will tell you what he thinks without filter. I sorta applaud that.

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

My main point was that Brian Burke can go suck an egg.

19 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

as far as I'm concerned this is a throw away comment that shouldn't even be a thing.

Folks who get worked up over it need to get the stick outta their ass. 

Speaking of sticks, getting pissy and slamming your stick on the ice is basically the Larkian deke at this point

Fabbri is the future

EkMgxjo.png

Look at him. He's the cooler version of Larkin. Modern hair cut. Better style. More points per game. Fuller beard. More cups. Sick tats. Dark Italian stallion complexion. Even his name is cooler. Robby Fabbri. It rhymes. It's like speaking French, it just rolls off the tongue. Dylan Larkin is just boring. Never met a Dylan in my life who was cool.

Robby though? That's the dude who chicks wanna bang and men wanna be. He would look good in a bad ass leather jacket. Now picture baby Larkin in a leather jacket... He'd look like an autistic man child.

Toot toot all aboard the Fab Rob train

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Speaking of sticks, getting pissy and slamming your stick on the ice is basically the Larkian deke at this point

Fabbri is the future

EkMgxjo.png

He's always done stuff like that. Gets overly dramatic trying to draw calls too. I get this feeling Larkin has a really annoying personality tbh, but It's probably what makes him so competitive.

I prefer Zadina to Fabbri. Fight me nerd.

2 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

He's always done stuff like that. Gets overly dramatic trying to draw calls too. I get this feeling Larkin has a really annoying personality tbh, but It's probably what makes him so competitive.

I prefer Zadina to Fabbri. Fight me nerd.

I'll say this about Zadina, he seemingly has better composure so far than Larkin, whose 3-4 years his senior

Also no. Fabbri is the most talented player on this team outside of Mantha. Speaking of whom, we need him back badly. I keep waiting for his crap stretch to come but it really hasn't come this year. Really love the player he's becoming. Dude is most valuable player on the roster maybe outside of Hronek and Fabbri.

37 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'll say this about Zadina, he seemingly has better composure so far than Larkin, whose 3-4 years his senior

Also no. Fabbri is the most talented player on this team outside of Mantha. Speaking of whom, we need him back badly. I keep waiting for his crap stretch to come but it really hasn't come this year. Really love the player he's becoming. Dude is most valuable player on the roster maybe outside of Hronek and Fabbri.

I agree about Mantha. He's one of the few things I enjoy about this team.

Since being recalled Zadina has been just as good, if not better, than Fabbri. To be honest I think they're redundant at the moment, but just considering age and potential I like Zadina better still by a pretty good margin. I was disappointed with his start with the Griffins, but he's been a pleasant surprise lately. 

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

7 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I agree about Mantha. He's one of the few things I enjoy about this team.

Since being recalled Zadina has been just as good, if not better, than Fabbri. To be honest I think they're redundant at the moment, but just considering age and potential I like Zadina better still by a pretty good margin. I was disappointed with his start with the Griffins, but he's been a pleasant surprise lately. 

Fabbri is 5'10. Plays like he's 6'3".

Zadina is 6'. Plays likes he's 5'10"

I know who I like. This guy is f***in slick. Style and knows what to say.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Fabbri is 5'10. Plays like he's 6'3".

Zadina is 6'. Plays likes he's 5'10"

I know who I like.

Zadina's physical game still needs work, but I feel like that's pretty common with new NHLers. Plus it's waaaay better than it was last year, so that makes me optimistic.

To be clear I also really like Fabbri. Guy's a perfect Nyquist replacement and we got him for De La Plug. What a deal. To your point he's way more physical than I was expecting too. 

3 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Zadina's physical game still needs work, but I feel like that's pretty common with new NHLers. Plus it's waaaay better than it was last year, so that makes me optimistic.

To be clear I also really like Fabbri. Guy's a perfect Nyquist replacement and we got him for De La Plug. What a deal. To your point he's way more physical than I was expecting too.

The truly good czech on this team doesn't get enough love. He's like the new Holmstrom, and is quietly the best player on this team.