• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Yzerman Interview with Ken Kal

Rate this topic

Figured this was worth a seperate thread. StevieY discussing the season his plans for the trade deadline, his thoughts on time for some kids to see time in the NHL and @ 13:55 a total Captain style comment that I think a lot of folks will like what he says. 

Edited by AtlantaHotWings
misspell

Well I REALLY hope we dump about 3-5 players this deadline. Not that we need the cap space this year for anything, I am just tired of seeing certain players wear this jersey.  Not that we'd get anything great in return for them, but I just don't want to watch them on this team anymore.  I hope the Howard and Green "rumors" come to fruition. 

IF they could be dealt, I wouldn't mind seeing Helm, Filppula and Nielsen gone as well.  Ericsson and Daley can just fade away, I hope they never put the jersey on again.  I'd like to see if there is any interest in Ehn also.  Of course all of this will not happen, and I don't want to gut GR because we'd have to bring players up, but if we could thin our team out up here sooner than the off season, it would be awesome.  

I am wondering what Yzerman's plan is with Cholowski, rumors of him having a poor attitude does not help his case in getting back to Detroit.  Maybe a trade to Western Canada would help his attitude and he could at least get back to the NHL. He could be packaged or just sent alone for a 2nd maybe?

12 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Well I REALLY hope we dump about 3-5 players this deadline. Not that we need the cap space this year for anything, I am just tired of seeing certain players wear this jersey.  Not that we'd get anything great in return for them, but I just don't want to watch them on this team anymore.  I hope the Howard and Green "rumors" come to fruition. 

IF they could be dealt, I wouldn't mind seeing Helm, Filppula and Nielsen gone as well.  Ericsson and Daley can just fade away, I hope they never put the jersey on again.  I'd like to see if there is any interest in Ehn also.  Of course all of this will not happen, and I don't want to gut GR because we'd have to bring players up, but if we could thin our team out up here sooner than the off season, it would be awesome.  

I am wondering what Yzerman's plan is with Cholowski, rumors of him having a poor attitude does not help his case in getting back to Detroit.  Maybe a trade to Western Canada would help his attitude and he could at least get back to the NHL. He could be packaged or just sent alone for a 2nd maybe?

It's wishful thinking to see 3-5 guys moved this deadline. Nobody is taking that Nielsen contract. Same with Abby. Howard has been a disaster this season. MAYBE someone trades a low pick for Green to have some depth for as run. 

Helm and AA are probably the only two players of value we have. Even then, Helm may not have said value until next season when he is on an expiring deal. 

Stevie will do what he can, but man, there is not much there in hopes of getting anything back outside of AA. Even then I think you wait until summer to trade him, unless the right offer comes along now like the haul we got for Tatar, 

9 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Serious question: If we don't need the cap space, and you don't want to gut GR, then what would be the point of trading away bottom 6 forwards?

Assuming Yzerman would have to sweeten the pot by eating salary or throwing in other assets to get teams to take those contracts, how would that benefit the team in any way?

We need a bold move for a goalie... Georgiev or that KHL guy the Leafs really want (Timur Bilyalov)... that's an absolute necessity moving forward.

Howard is clearly done, Bernier has played very well but nobody can see that much rubber and stay sane.  We literally don't have a minor league goalie who'll be a player in the NHL for 2-3 seasons if ever.

Its downright ugly!

Edited by mackel
Added Timur Bilyalov

9 hours ago, mackel said:

We need a bold move for a goalie... Georgiev or that KHL guy the Leafs really want (Timur Bilyalov)... that's an absolute necessity moving forward.

Howard is clearly done, Bernier has played very well but nobody can see that much rubber and stay sane.  We literally don't have a minor league goalie who'll be a player in the NHL for 2-3 seasons if ever.

Its downright ugly!

Take a run at Lehner or Markstrom this summer I say. NHL proven, at least. 

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

Take a run at Lehner or Markstrom this summer I say. NHL proven, at least. 

It has to be a goalie used to seeing a LOT of rubber ala Hasek in his days in Buffalo and still keeping the team in a game. Whoever/IF we bring an outside goalie in they are going to be behind a still porous defense for min 2 years and I am being optimistic.

I am done with Jimmy thanks for your service but time to go another direction. 

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

It has to be a goalie used to seeing a LOT of rubber ala Hasek in his days in Buffalo and still keeping the team in a game. Whoever/IF we bring an outside goalie in they are going to be behind a still porous defense for min 2 years and I am being optimistic.

I am done with Jimmy thanks for your service but time to go another direction. 

Halak is another option. That dude has a history of playing well when getting shelled. 

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Halak is another option. That dude has a history of playing well when getting shelled. 

I think we have our old guy for the 1A/1B tandem with Bernier... we now need the younger guy who could take over as a solid #1 in 2-3 years.

1 minute ago, mackel said:

I think we have our old guy for the 1A/1B tandem with Bernier... we now need the younger guy who could take over as a solid #1 in 2-3 years.

I doubt anyone disagrees with this. It's just that the "younger guy" is a lot harder to obtain. Hence UFA names are being thrown around, like: Lehner, Markstrom, Halak. 

5 minutes ago, mackel said:

Not gonna find that younger guy in free agency. Bernie has one year left. After that we have nothing. 

Markstrom and Lehner are the two youngest, proven pending UFAs in goal at 30 and 29, both which I mentioned first. Getting one of those guys on a 4-5 year deal would work wonders. Solidifies the position and gives time to find a younger person to take the job. Either is an upgrade over Bernier. 

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Not gonna find that younger guy in free agency. Bernie has one year left. After that we have nothing. 

Markstrom and Lehner are the two youngest, proven pending UFAs in goal at 30 and 29, both which I mentioned first. Getting one of those guys on a 4-5 year deal would work wonders. Solidifies the position and gives time to find a younger person to take the job. Either is an upgrade over Bernier. 

I'm not convinced that either of these guys wouldn't get slaughtered behind this D. Even 3 years from now. 

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

It's more about having competent goaltending as the team improves, especially if they can steal a game every now and again. Markstrom has been really good behind a young, rebuilding team over the last five years. 

VAN gonna re-sign Markstrom
CHI gonna re-sign Lehner

We're in a deeper hole than anyone realizes

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

VAN gonna re-sign Markstrom
CHI gonna re-sign Lehner

We're in a deeper hole than anyone realizes

Let me dream. Like, the rebuild is gonna take time. Stevie has been stressing this. I don't think anyone is expecting this to turn around over night. 

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

Not to worry...Grand Master Y is gonna sign Holtby this summer...

https://www.tsn.ca/washington-capitals-extend-c-nicklas-backstrom-on-five-year-deal-1.1427099

No thanks

Edited by marcaractac

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

Not to worry...Grand Master Y is gonna sign Holtby this summer...

https://www.tsn.ca/washington-capitals-extend-c-nicklas-backstrom-on-five-year-deal-1.1427099

You're probably right. Just hope there isn't too many other teams after him. If Holts has any other option than Detroit, NJ, or Ottawa, I'd prefer to take that if I was him. We will have to throw money and term at him...

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You're probably right. Just hope there isn't too many other teams after him. If Holts has any other option than Detroit, NJ, or Ottawa, I'd prefer to take that if I was him. We will have to throw money and term at him...

I'd extend Bernier before throwing money and term at Holtby in 2020. f***. He sucks now. 

May as well re-sign Howard at that point

Extend Bernier, try again summer 2021. Make a trade. Anything instead of signing a goalie to a big contract whose best years are behind him. 

I mean f***, at least another Howard contract would likely be only one year. 

4 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Extend Bernier, try again summer 2021. Make a trade. Anything instead of signing a goalie to a big contract whose best years are behind him. 

Bernier has another year here. 

Just now, marcaractac said:

Everyone keeps laughing at me for suggesting Howard will be re-signed

Prep your bum holes kids, it's an all too likely scenario given the market. Bernier will take over as starter or split time and Howie will get a cheap 1 year deal.

I think we have to hope there is some random goalie that Yzerman likes. Like Aaron Dell or Pavel Francouz.

Everyone keeps laughing at me for suggesting Howard will be re-signed

Prep your bum holes kids, it's an all too likely scenario given the market. Bernier will take over as starter or split time and Howie will get a cheap 1 year deal.

I think we have to hope there is some random goalie that Yzerman likes. Like Aaron Dell or Pavel Francouz.

If the alternative is giving a huge contract to Holtby, I'll take another year of Howard. Though there are plenty of UFA backups available that I'd choose over him. 

I hope somehow Yzerman lands a 1st for AA and manages to nab Askarov with it.