• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

Cholowski Sucks

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Hasn't Gallant taken bottom feeder coaching duties before? I figure there will be better opportunities for Laviolette, but I think Gallant is a real possibility.

He has, but now he is an established NHL coach who has also had a taste of playoff success. 

11 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Hes lazy.

I don't think he's lazy. I think he's stupid and prone to panic. He does the same BS he does in the NHL in the AHL as well.

Guy should have NEVER played 52 NHL games as a first year pro. I'm suspicious that Holland felt desperate to shore up the D and thought he could just thrust Cholo in there and he would just figure it out and survive like Hronek did.

For the love of all that is holy Yzerman just keep him down in the AHL. He looks like he needs at least another full season down there, if not two, just to get his wits about him.

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't think he's lazy. I think he's stupid and prone to panic. He does the same BS he does in the NHL in the AHL as well.

Guy should have NEVER played 52 NHL games as a first year pro. I'm suspicious that Holland felt desperate to shore up the D and thought he could just thrust Cholo in there and he would just figure it out and survive like Hronek did.

For the love of all that is holy Yzerman just keep him down in the AHL. He looks like he needs at least another full season down there, if not two, just to get his wits about him.

I agree that Cholowski needs more time in GR, and I also agree that he probably shouldn't have close to 52 NHL games played at this point. The one thing I completely disagree with though, and you've said this before, "he's prone to panic". If there's one "good quality" Cholowski has displayed so far, it's his poise with the puck. If anything he can be too calm with the puck, and takes an extra second or two too long to make a decision. By the time he has made a decision, he's coughed it up to an attacking player.

27 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that Cholowski needs more time in GR, and I also agree that he probably shouldn't have close to 52 NHL games played at this point. The one thing I completely disagree with though, and you've said this before, "he's prone to panic". If there's one "good quality" Cholowski has displayed so far, it's his poise with the puck. If anything he can be too calm with the puck, and takes an extra second or two too long to make a decision. By the time he has made a decision, he's coughed it up to an attacking player.

We're not even watching the same team anymore

That's not calmness. That's stupidity and poor gap control. He will rush pucks into forwards skates and make rushed sloppy passes as soon as he feels heat every game.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

9 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We're not even watching the same team anymore

That's not calmness. That's stupidity and poor gap control. He will rush pucks into forwards skates and make rushed sloppy passes as soon as he feels heat every game.

THAT absolutely is calmness. He thinks he has more time than he does. The NHL is too quick for him right now. Call it stupidity or whatever, but if there's one things he's shown since day one, it's poise with the puck. He needs to learn to get rid of the puck quicker, so he doesn't rush pucks into forwards skates and make rushed sloppy passes.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

THAT absolutely is calmness. He thinks he has more time than he does. The NHL is too quick for him right now. Call it stupidity or whatever, but if there's one things he's shown since day one, it's poise with the puck. He needs to learn to get rid of the puck quicker, so he doesn't rush pucks into forwards skates and make rushed sloppy passes.

Rushing pucks and making sloppy passes =/= calmness and poise. Calm players with puck poise don't make rushed sloppy passes.

If he's holding on to the puck for too long and then getting eating alive for it, that's called being slow between the ears. Which is what I said in my OP. He's stupid. He doesn't process the game at fast enough level.

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Rushing pucks and making sloppy passes =/= calmness and poise. Calm players with puck poise don't make rushed sloppy passes.

If he's holding on to the puck for too long and then getting eating alive for it, that's called being slow between the ears. Which is what I said in my OP. He's stupid. He doesn't process the game at fast enough level.

Yup, he's stupid.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I try to avoid these arguments, but how you can suggest that Cholo is poised with the puck with his utterly terrified and reeling in desperation passes to no one is way beyond me. 

5 hours ago, gcom007 said:

I try to avoid these arguments, but how you can suggest that Cholo is poised with the puck with his utterly terrified and reeling in desperation passes to no one is way beyond me. 

Maybe poised isn't the right way to explain it, but he is calm, too calm with the puck. He seems to always think he has 4 seconds to move it, when he has 2. That's what causes the terrible desperation passes. Once he adjusts to the speed of the game, I think he'll be fine. My point was, I know his passing has been bad, but I don't think it's because of panic, I think it's a lack of panic. He needs to have more urgency with the puck.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Maybe poised isn't the right way to explain it, but he is calm, too calm with the puck. He seems to always think he has 4 seconds to move it, when he has 2. That's what causes the terrible desperation passes. Once he adjusts to the speed of the game, I think he'll be fine. My point was, I know his passing has been bad, but I don't think it's because of panic, I think it's a lack of panic. He needs to have more urgency with the puck.

But who cares why his passing is bad. It's just bad. Too slow, too fast. Whatever. He should have adjusted to the speed of professional hockey by now. OR at least shown signs that he's getting it. No? 

5 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

But who cares why his passing is bad. It's just bad. Too slow, too fast. Whatever. He should have adjusted to the speed of professional hockey by now. OR at least shown signs that he's getting it. No? 

Yeah. AGAIN, his passing has been bad. He's been bad. I'm not disagreeing with any of that. The ONLY thing I was disagreeing with, is the reason his passing has been bad. I don't think "he's prone to panic" with the puck. I think it's the opposite. I think he has too much patience with the puck, thinks he has more time than he does, and as a result, he coughs it up.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, or even a better thing. Regardless, his timing is off, and it's equally as bad.

14 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

The bold basically defines why he isn't calm and has no poise. Sure he had it in junior, but he doesn't have it in the NHL. Hell, he can't consistently show it in the AHL yet. This is why I think he should stay in the AHL until he could prove he is just too good to stay there. He has yet to do that.

8 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

The bold basically defines why he isn't calm and has no poise. Sure he had it in junior, but he doesn't have it in the NHL. Hell, he can't consistently show it in the AHL yet. This is why I think he should stay in the AHL until he could prove he is just too good to stay there. He has yet to do that.

Yes, "he had it in junior". The "calmness" hasn't really gone away, but it probably should have. He was able to hold onto the puck in junior. He can't in the NHL, because everything is so much faster, and players are on you in a split second. He needs to learn to get rid of it quicker, and make split second decisions. Again, that in my opinion isn't panic. It's a lack of urgency.

To me, prone to panic would be if the second he got the puck, he immediately wanted to get rid of it, throwing it blindly off the boards or up the middle. In my opinion, that's not at all the case with Cholowski. He gets the puck, wants to make the right play, holds onto it a few seconds too long, and a forechecker is already on his back, and causes a turnover. He needs to make quicker decisions with the puck.

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

The bold also makes no sense, and is therefore a perfect example of KRsmith logic.  Cholo needs to "get rid of the puck quicker" so he doesn't "rush".  Lol. 

Edited by kipwinger

41 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

The bold also makes no sense, and is therefore a perfect example of KRsmith logic.  Cholo needs to "get rid of the puck quicker" so he doesn't "rush".  Lol. 

The "rush pucks into forwards skates and make rushed sloppy passes" quote was from CRL, not me. That's not the way I see it. Like I've said countless times now, from what I've seen being his biggest issue, is that he holds onto the puck too long, and thinks he has more time than he does. THAT'S what causes turnovers. Not "rushing sloppy passes".

Honestly at this point I'd rather see Cholo show some panic at the NHL pace that lead to his mistakes. That would show progress and that he at least understands he has less time at this level and is trying to adjust. Continuing to hold on to the puck too long at this point tells me that he simply is not learning, which definitely brings his hockey IQ into question. 

11 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Honestly at this point I'd rather see Cholo show some panic at the NHL pace that lead to his mistakes. That would show progress and that he at least understands he has less time at this level and is trying to adjust. Continuing to hold on to the puck too long at this point tells me that he simply is not learning, which definitely brings his hockey IQ into question. 

He's a dumb dumb. No more dumb dumbs please. Unless they like booze. Then it's OK. 

16 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

100%. He's taking way too long to make plays. If he at least showed some urgency with the puck, instead of holding onto it a few seconds too long, there might be something there. I haven't given up on him yet, but right now, it's a little concerning...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

100%. He's taking way too long to make plays. If he at least showed some urgency with the puck, instead of holding onto it a few seconds too long, there might be something there. I haven't given up on him yet, but right now, it's a little concerning...

Yeah. All signs point to something lacking between the ears, sadly. Rookies adjusting make mistakes by rushing, as they are smart enough to realize  (pretty quickly, I might add) that they do not have the time available to them that they have once had. 

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The "rush pucks into forwards skates and make rushed sloppy passes" quote was from CRL, not me.

He's referring to the bolded:

17 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You're saying he needs to rush so that he doesn't rush.

5 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Feel free to contest my definition of hockey IQ, but I break it down into two distinct categories: Ability to process and anticipate the play, and decision making.

An elite hockey player like Zberg can not only anticipate the play that is going to happen very well, but also makes the correct decision almost every-time once the play evolves.

A player like Ehn has relatively low anticipation - which is why we don't often find him making creative offensive players - but he has very high decision making and plays within the system well making the correct decision once he's there very often.

Cholowski has neither good anticipation or decision making. He incorrectly judges time and space, both when carrying the puck and passing it. And then when the wolves are on his heels he panics and makes the incorrect decision much too often for my liking.

Poised: 1. graceful and elegant bearing in a person. 2. composure and dignity of manner

Neither 1 or 2 describes Cholowski's play with the puck

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He's referring to the bolded:

You're saying he needs to rush so that he doesn't rush.

That was what YOU said, I just forgot to put quotations around it. My bad...

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Feel free to contest my definition of hockey IQ, but I break it down into two distinct categories: Ability to process and anticipate the play, and decision making.

An elite hockey player like Zberg can not only anticipate the play that is going to happen very well, but also makes the correct decision almost every-time once the play evolves.

A player like Ehn has relatively low anticipation - which is why we don't often find him making creative offensive players - but he has very high decision making and plays within the system well making the correct decision once he's there very often.

Cholowski has neither good anticipation or decision making. He incorrectly judges time and space, both when carrying the puck and passing it. And then when the wolves are on his heels he panics and makes the incorrect decision much too often for my liking.

This, I agree with. I agreed with everything in your original post, except for the one part I pointed out, "prone to panic". Like I've explained, I think it's the opposite. Regardless, why he coughs up the puck, he does unnecessarily cough the puck. And I tend to agree, it may be an issue with hockey IQ...

16 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Poised: 1. graceful and elegant bearing in a person. 2. composure and dignity of manner

Neither 1 or 2 describes Cholowski's play with the puck

Yeah, poised probably wasn't the right word to use there. I've already explained that. In my opinion, he doesn't show enough (panic) urgency.