• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

Cholowski Sucks

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You're saying he needs to rush so that he doesn't rush.

The insanity of this discussion aside, I believe the concept is: don't wait until the last minute to pass the puck but also don't pass it right away either. Gotta find that sweet sweet lil chicken nugget of time in between the two extremes that's the perfect moment for an outlet pass. 

But whatevs, I'm mostly just skimming through the white noise here, so I might be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That was what YOU said, I just forgot to put quotations around it. My bad...

It doesn't matter who said it first.  You're suggesting that the way to get him to stop "rushing passes" (as CRL desribed it first) is for him to...wait for it...rush passes.  You're grasping at straws. 

22 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This, I agree with. I agreed with everything in your original post, except for the one part I pointed out, "prone to panic". Like I've explained, I think it's the opposite. Regardless, why he coughs up the puck, he does unnecessarily cough the puck. And I tend to agree, it may be an issue with hockey IQ...

Regardless of how he puts himself in the situation (waiting or not waiting), this player absolutely panics quite a bit.

When the defender is on his doorstep his decision making goes to s***. That's either due to lack of composure under pressure, or lack of ability to make the correct adjustment. I much more tend to think it's the former and not the later.

I mentioned Ehn because Ehn has similar issues with anticipation, but at the same time stands in stark contrast to Cholowski when it comes to decision making.

Both Ehn and Cholowski seem to have below-average ability to process the play. I think we both agree we don't expect Ehn to ever improve in that department much, but with Cholowski I do expect some and hope for a lot.

However, unlike Cholowski, Ehn is already sound in his decision making. He's never gonna make the sexy play, but he is calm and composed under pressure, and almost always makes the smart decision with the puck no matter the situation he finds himself in. I cannot say the same for Cholowski. When free of pressure he looks decent enough out there, but when he's being hounded the B. Smith brain takes over and he suddenly becomes prone to a rash mistake. In my mind that is 100% a panicky player with a lack of composure.

To be fair to Cholo though. One should expect a 21 year old Dman to lack composure. Hronek is the exception, not the rule. I think the Wings rushed this kid wayyyy to quickly into the league.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

20 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Rushing pucks and making sloppy passes =/= calmness and poise. Calm players with puck poise don't make rushed sloppy passes.

If he's holding on to the puck for too long and then getting eating alive for it, that's called being slow between the ears. Which is what I said in my OP. He's stupid. He doesn't process the game at fast enough level.

I can confirm that rushing things leads to sloppy play.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:56 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Regardless of how he puts himself in the situation (waiting or not waiting), this player absolutely panics quite a bit.

When the defender is on his doorstep his decision making goes to s***. That's either due to lack of composure under pressure, or lack of ability to make the correct adjustment. I much more tend to think it's the former and not the later.

I mentioned Ehn because Ehn has similar issues with anticipation, but at the same time stands in stark contrast to Cholowski when it comes to decision making.

Both Ehn and Cholowski seem to have below-average ability to process the play. I think we both agree we don't expect Ehn to ever improve in that department much, but with Cholowski I do expect some and hope for a lot.

However, unlike Cholowski, Ehn is already sound in his decision making. He's never gonna make the sexy play, but he is calm and composed under pressure, and almost always makes the smart decision with the puck no matter the situation he finds himself in. I cannot say the same for Cholowski. When free of pressure he looks decent enough out there, but when he's being hounded the B. Smith brain takes over and he suddenly becomes prone to a rash mistake. In my mind that is 100% a panicky player with a lack of composure.

To be fair to Cholo though. One should expect a 21 year old Dman to lack composure. Hronek is the exception, not the rule. I think the Wings rushed this kid wayyyy to quickly into the league.

People did say when Cholowski was drafted that he'd need 5 years at least.

On 2/16/2020 at 12:18 AM, TLGTrico said:

People did say when Cholowski was drafted that he'd need 5 years at least.

Right I sorta recall that he was supposed to be a long-term project Dman. I thought that was why he went to University to begin with.

Then he gives up on the NCAA pretty quick and suddenly Holland is giving him almost a full season at 20 years old.

Part of me really thinks Holland started trying to rush things at the end. As much as they talk about how Holland helped facilitate Yzerman coming in, you gotta think that guy would have gone to some decent lengths to protect his job and salvage his tenure if he could. I just want Yzerman to make the right call now and keep him out of the NHL for a bit. No need to mimic Holland here.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:21 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't think he's lazy. I think he's stupid and prone to panic. He does the same BS he does in the NHL in the AHL as well.

Guy should have NEVER played 52 NHL games as a first year pro. I'm suspicious that Holland felt desperate to shore up the D and thought he could just thrust Cholo in there and he would just figure it out and survive like Hronek did.

For the love of all that is holy Yzerman just keep him down in the AHL. He looks like he needs at least another full season down there, if not two, just to get his wits about him.

Cholo has looked good to me.  I wonder why we see him differently.  Hronek has a better ozone game now, but his ceiling is going to be more limited due to size and skating.  I think you will be eating these words in a few seasons.

9 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Cholo has looked good to me.  I wonder why we see him differently.  Hronek has a better ozone game now, but his ceiling is going to be more limited due to size and skating.  I think you will be eating these words in a few seasons.

I think you will be eating sidewalk when I knock ya down rough guy

On 2/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, F.Michael said:

Knowing CRL - he'll steal your watch, and hoc it for stuff that can only be said on Discord...

I'm gonna take my shoes OFF
I'm gonna put my feet UP
and I'm gonna push you AROUND

Cholowski recalled by Detroit

Stoppppppp, he's not friggin ready

recall Hicketts or McIlrath, Yzerman you dumb ******* retard

Yzerman has personally met with Cholowski about his play

Cholowski is a gifted skater, but his lack of assertiveness has been enough of a problem that general manager Steve Yzerman has met personally with Cholowski to discuss the issue.

Cholowski had good starts to the last two seasons, but his inability to correctly weigh reward versus risk when making decisions with the puck has led to being sent to the Grand Rapids Griffins.

His demotion this season was especially disappointing because offensive defenseman Mike Green's health struggles created an opening for Cholowski to show he belonged. Instead, Cholowski did the opposite.

“I think it’s fair to say that the area he needs to focus on is his defensive play – the physicality, just the overall intensity it takes to defend in the NHL,” Wings director of player personnel Shawn Horcoff said. “I think he is a young player that has survived on offense his whole life, and now when he is playing, he gets exposed a little bit on that side of the rink."

Cholowski is a weak little milk drinker

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Is Cholo a Brendan Smith part deux?

Cholowski can actually score.  So probably not.  Brendan Smith was an "offensive" defenseman who never put up any offense.  God he sucked. 

On any other team Cholowski would have played on the third pair last year, been sheltered, and eased into his role and nobody would be saying anything about him.  Sure he's got things to work on.  All young defensemen do.  But on this team he's competing with about 47 veteran defenseman, all of whom make a ton of money, none of whom you want sitting on the bench for 3 or 4 million dollars a year.  So Cholowski sat.  No biggie. 

Also, a new coach will help.  Blash, like Babs before him, is soooooooooooooooo risk averse.  I've heard many, many, many other coaches talk about how they don't mind if players make mistakes as long as they're A) trying to make a play, and B) don't keep making the same mistakes.  If you're a young player for the Wings you just don't have that same degree of leeway.

30 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

And that's the theme with this kid: Fear. Panic with the puck. Afraid to shoot.

You keep saying this, but it's not even remotely accurate. I'm really not sure you're watching the same player... He's number 21 in red...

Cholowski has a ton of poise with the puck. In fact, if there's one flaw in that regard, it's that he sometimes holds onto the puck too long, thinking he has more time than he does. "Panic with the puck" is not a thing with Cholowski. If anything he needs a little more panic urgency with the puck...

20 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Here we go again...

Reread the thread.

My comments have nothing to do with how long or short of time he holds the puck. He makes bad decisions when pressure is applied. I don't care if he skates 5 figures eights with the puck through the offensive zone before the defense catches him, or if he's one touch passing it into Larkin's skates under pressure. When the defense is on door step he panics and does a dumb. 

For someone that critiques every word people say, "panic" is a poor word choice. Cholowski has always had great "poise" with the puck on his stick. He does not panic with the puck whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

protect Stecher and not Cholowski Lindstrom for the exapansion draft.

Fixed it for you...

3 minutes ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Gcom said it best

His post dates back to the 2019/2020 season - however this past spring my eyes tell me there was some, but not a lot of improvement...Still has that deer in the headlights as to what to do - either forces an errant pass, or coughs it up in our own end.

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

Gcom said it best

So Gcom also doesn't watch the same player... Ken, Mick and Larry have all mentioned Cholowski's poise with the puck on the broadcasts. You read just about any scouting report on Cholo, and they mention his "poise with the puck". None of them say he "panics with the puck".

You can point to quite a few flaws in Cholowski's game, but panicking with the puck isn't one of them.

1 hour ago, BarkBurgerman said:

If I have to choose who to protect in terms of TODAY, it's Stecher all the way. But I go and check Cholo's age and he's only a fresh 23... you hate to gift a 23 year old 1st round Dman to Seattle. Maybe he actually hits puberty in the next 3 years and becomes a viable defenseman...

We just NEED to sign x2 LHD to force Cholo back into the AHL where he belongs. He has no business in the NHL yet.

In my opinion, Hronek and Cholowski should be protected. The last spot should come down to Stecher or Lindstrom. I'd be okay with either option, but I'd choose the former for the trade value.