• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
F.Michael

Gallant fired - Deboer replaces him...

Rate this topic

26 minutes ago, MabusIncarnate said:

Please, please jump on this immediately. Gallant being fired is absurd, be brought an expansion team to the finals. 

For the sake of the fans and the future of this team, get him here now Stevie. 

I'm just speculating since I have no clue why he got canned, but I'm wondering if Gallant's 'fiery' personality saw him having a run in with mgt/owners like he had while in FLA.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

People way over hype this guy.

One fluke year in Florida. Fired.
One fluke year in Vegas. Fired.

He's been past the first round of the playoffs literally one time

Over hype? Fluke years?

Outside of his time in Columbus - he's had winning seasons behind the bench...Like I mentioned earlier - might it be his personality that finds him in the unemployment line?

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

People way over hype this guy.

One fluke year in Florida. Fired.
One fluke year in Vegas. Fired.

He's been past the first round of the playoffs literally one time

Ya but that one time was the finals...he's only been a head coach in the NHL level for 5 years! 

Hoping Stevie makes a move...

3 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Over hype? Fluke years?

Outside of his time in Columbus - he's had winning seasons behind the bench...Like I mentioned earlier - might it be his personality that finds him in the unemployment line?

He's been to the playoffs 3 times in 9 seasons. 1 was a finals appearance. The other two were first round exits.

Vegas caught lightning in a bottle their first year. No one talks about what a great team they have now. They're completely average. Remove that one year from Gallant's record and you have a completely below average coach that very few would make threads for. 

1 minute ago, Wings3:16 said:

Ya but that one time was the finals...he's only been a head coach in the NHL level for 5 years! 

Hoping Stevie makes a move...

He's been a head coach for 9 separate seasons.

• Came into a failing CBJ team midway through the season. Had a better second year. Regressed and fired in the 3rd year.
  • Came into a failing FLA team and missed the playoffs first year. Had a better second year. Regressed and fired in the 3rd year.
  • Came into an expansion VGK team. Had a phenomenal first year. Regressed the second year. Regressed more the 3rd year and fired.

This guy is literally a one and done coach. If we bring him in the team will have a decent first or second year and then regress again, and that will completely throw a wrench in the rebuild in exchange for a single decent season. Not worth it.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He's been to the playoffs 3 times in 9 seasons. 1 was a finals appearance. The other two were first round exits.

Vegas caught lightning in a bottle their first year. No one talks about what a great team they have now. They're completely average. Remove that one year from Gallant's record and you have a completely below average coach that very few would make threads for. 

He's been a head coach for 9 separate seasons.

Made the playoffs in 3 of the 6 full seasons (taking into consideration that he was let go mid-way thru the other 3 seasons).

It's not like he was coach of the Bolts, Caps, or Pens...

5 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Made the playoffs in 3 of the 6 full seasons (taking into consideration that he was let go mid-way thru the other 3 seasons).

It's not like he was coach of the Bolts, Caps, or Pens...

He was fired midway through 3 different seasons. I consider firing a failure. In 2 of those previous seasons the men who succeeded him were not able to make the playoffs either. It's doubtful Gallant would have done better than them and 180ed those teams midway through the season considering his firing.

I mean, what is so impressive about his resume? One fluke season with Vegas? Not working for the Caps, Bolts or Pens is an excuse, not a practical good.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He was fired midway through 3 different seasons. I consider firing a failure. In 2 of those previous seasons the men who succeeded him were not able to make the playoffs either. It's doubtful Gallant would have done better than them and 180ed those teams midway through the season considering his firing.

I mean, what is so impressive about his resume? One fluke season with Vegas? Not working for the Caps, Bolts or Pens is an excuse, not a practical good.

IMHO - he seems to get the most outta 'average', or possibly 'below average' rosters...Guys play hard for him (insert pun)...His 2 recent firings (Vegas/FLA) seem head scratching at their best - as in there's really not any good reason to, and the mgt/owners seem pretty vague about why they had him relieved of his duties behind the bench (and for what it's worth both Vegas/FLA fan bases are/were pi$$ed about letting Gallant go).

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

IMHO - he seems to get the most outta 'average', or possibly 'below average' rosters...Guys play hard for him (insert pun)...His 2 recent firings (Vegas/FLA) seem head scratching at their best - as in there's really not any good reason to, and the mgt/owners seem pretty vague about why they had him relieved of his duties behind the bench (and for what it's worth both Vegas/FLA fan bases are/were pi$$ed about letting Gallant go).

Shouldn't this make us all the more wary of hiring him though?

Being mysteriously fired from multiple teams suggests there's something bad going on behind the scenes, like you suggest with his fiery personality.

I don't claim to know anything about Gallant's personality or coaching style, but I look at his resume and he always has one single good season, then immediately regresses the next year. I just assume the reason for his firing is that swift regression.

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Shouldn't this make us all the more wary of hiring him though?

Being mysteriously fired from multiple teams suggests there's something bad going on behind the scenes, like you suggest with his fiery personality.

I don't claim to know anything about Gallant's personality or coaching style, but I look at his resume and he always has one single good season, then immediately regresses the next year. I just assume the reason for his firing is that swift regression.

Grand Master Y will tame the beast known as Gerard Gallant...

In all seriousness - I want a guy with passion behind the bench...Blashill standing there looking around as if he's having a 'senior moment'  has grown stale.

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

From everything I've been hearing this Lane Lambert guy gets my vote for next coach. I trust Yzerman's judgment. 

This guy?

Image result for adam lambert

Edited by F.Michael

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

... I don't claim to know anything about Gallant's personality or coaching style...

If anyone knows Gallant, it's Yzerman.

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

... I trust Yzerman's judgment....

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

From everything I've been hearing this Lane Lambert guy gets my vote for next coach. I trust Yzerman's judgment. 

What have you been hearing?

Looks like he did 7 seven years as an assistant coach, and is now a lesser than associate coach. Not exactly a great sign on paper.

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

Grand Master Y will tame the beast known as Gerard Gallant...

In all seriousness - I want a guy with passion behind the bench...Blashill standing there looking around as if he's having a 'senior moment'  has grown stale.

If I was forced to make a move now, I would bring back Babs. Hire Peters and Montgomery as his assistants. And just run a full on abusive locker room.

If I'm forced to be more realistic, I would hire Laviolette. Loads of experience with 4 separate and very different teams. Has a cup. Been to the finals multiple times. Plays an up-tempo offensive system, which I think would be conducive to our roster.

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

If anyone knows Gallant, it's Yzerman.

"Yzerman used to play with that guy" isn't exactly a good reason to hire someone. Yzerman knows lots of guys.

If they are still friends great. You don't have to be best friends to work with someone though.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What have you been hearing?

Not a ton. He interviewed for a couple of head coaching jobs, he's had Trotz as a mentor. Good communicator and teacher that gets a lot out of his forwards.  That's the part that appeals most to me.