• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
F.Michael

Gallant fired - Deboer replaces him...

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

That was one of his nicknames in the NHL.  He was a potato farmer in the off season (still may be) and they called him Spuddy.

Here's a nice little Q&A to read, so we know a little more about our new coach. :ninja:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/gerard-gallant

Nah its Turk, that was my point... I've met him several times.  Live an hour from Summerside... farmer nope lol.

39 minutes ago, mackel said:

Nah its Turk, that was my point... I've met him several times.  Live an hour from Summerside... farmer nope lol.

Man it's kinda surprising how many east coasters there are on this board, and from PEI, haha

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Goddamn it. I have A LOT of distant family on PEI. Folks I only met one time years and years ago when I was kid. They basically wouldn't even know I exist.

For all I know I'm related to some of you weirdos

Imagine how we must feel at the thought of that possibility...  ugh

2 minutes ago, mackel said:

Imagine how we must feel at the thought of that possibility...  ugh

The population of PEI is only 157,000, and my relatives have been on the island since 1858. I don't wanna do the math but there's probably hundreds of living individuals on the island who share blood with me. Maybe it's a guy you work with, or that girl you slept with one time, or maybe it's you. Either way you have my cooties confirmed.

23 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Goddamn it. I have A LOT of distant family on PEI. Folks I only met one time years and years ago when I was kid. They basically act as if I don't exist.

For all I know I'm related to some of you weirdos

FIFY

I like Gallant, would be happy with him (or my boy Laviolette).  Both get a lot out of bad rosters.  The Vegas team that's on the ice today is seriously flawed and they're within 2 points of 4th overall in the West.  Their defense is trash, their centers are trash, all goaltending is mediocre, and they're still posting strong offensive numbers (and possession numbers as well).  I think both guys are a big improvement over Blash and could do wonders with a young, very fast, lineup like ours.

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I like Gallant, would be happy with him (or my boy Laviolette).  Both get a lot out of bad rosters.  The Vegas team that's on the ice today is seriously flawed and they're within 2 points of 4th overall in the West.  Their defense is trash, their centers are trash, all goaltending is mediocre, and they're still posting strong offensive numbers (and possession numbers as well).  I think both guys are a big improvement over Blash and could do wonders with a young, very fast, lineup like ours.

I would contend that Laviolette's systems are more suited to squeezing a lot out of forwards. And because I think there's a lot more forward juice to squeeze on this team, I think he'd do better with our current roster.

But then again he made a team with strong Dmen in Nashville bretty gud too. So IDK.

I'm torn between, do you maximize your strengths? Or do you over-compensate for your weaknesses like Babs did here when he had crumby Dmen?

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I would contend that Laviolette's systems are more suited to squeezing a lot out of forwards. And because I think there's a lot more forward juice to squeeze on this team, I think he'd do better with our current roster.

But then again he made a team with strong Dmen in Nashville bretty gud too. So IDK.

I'm torn between, do you maximize your strengths? Or do you over-compensate for your weaknesses like Babs did here when he had crumby Dmen?

I don't think defense is going to be an issue for us going forward either.  Getting to the point where we've got blue chippers there too.

And I agree that I'd rather have Laviolette.  Always loved that guy.  But I don't have a beef with Gallant.  Having a defensive minded guy, like Babs, would be the worst possible scenario for me.  I'm just not convinced that's winning hockey anymore.  All those guys, Babs, Hitchcock, Julien, haven't been worth a damn in a while.  I think that modern coaches have figured out how to solve their systems by basically killing them in transition.  I don't see that type of hockey working again under the current rules. 

Edited by kipwinger

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I read this and think it's great. Then I dare you to describe Blashill's system. 

12 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I don't think defense is going to be an issue for us going forward either.  Getting to the point where we've got blue chippers there too.

And I agree that I'd rather have Laviolette.  Always loved that guy.  But I don't have a beef with Gallant.  Having a defensive minded guy, like Babs, would be the worst possible scenario for me.  I'm just not convinced that's winning hockey anymore.  All those guys, Babs, Hitchcock, Julien, haven't been worth a damn in a while.  I think that modern coaches have figured out how to solve their systems by basically killing them in transition.  I don't see that type of hockey working again under the current rules. 

It's late and I don't speak corsi but it seemed with my eyes (again, not stats) that St.Louis in 19 and Wash in 18 were both old time-y teams that won with D-minded systems and also with older, sort of slower, teams. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

Just now, The 91 of Ryans said:

I read this and think it's great. Then I dare you to describe Blashill's system. 

I'll bite, I think Blashill's system is basically the same as Alain Vigneault's system.  He prefers a relatively passive forecheck which allows him to keep one guy back to "act as a 3rd defenseman" and swarm the puck carrier if they get through the neutral zone or gain the offensive zone.  This "swarm" mentality allows you to make up for the fact that you don't have defensemen good enough to play other teams' top guys one on one.  When the "swarm" eventually pinches off the opposing attacker, and (hopefully) strips him of the puck the team should theoretically have one extra guy there to scoop up the puck and immediately transition, which is were the team's forward speed comes in to play.  As evidenced by the fact that we let a LOT more breakaway opportunities under Blash than under Babs, who preferred set-piece offense rather than transition offense.  If you offensive speed, and transition, allow for odd man rushes and breakaways then you attack the net.  If the other team is in defensive position and has guys back, then you dump the puck behind them and use your transition speed to gain possession and work the cycle.

It's not like Blash doesn't have a gameplan.  It's just that it's probably not the right one for our team because A) our defensemen are terrible can't can't advance the puck, B) we're fast enough to utilize our speed on a more aggressive forecheck, and C) we don't have enough skill to score often enough in transition. 

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Blashill's system I thought was basically allowing his Dmen to join the rush more than Babs did. And also not requiring a 3rd man to stay high on the forecheck like Babs was doing. I don't think that was ever congruent with this roster. That system requires talented mobile Dmen who can get up and down the ice and make good plays (something we haven't had in 500 years)

But whatdo I know I'm a Babs fan.

These days Blash's system is not being able to willfully enter or exit any zone. I honestly don't know what his systems are anymore.

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

It's late and I don't speak corsi but it seemed with my eyes (again, not stats) that St.Louis in 19 and Wash in 18 were both old time-y teams that won with D-minded systems ( just the eye test) and with older, sort of slower, teams. 

I can't speak for St. Louis, but I live in DC and watched almost every Caps game that year (and was at all the totally badass watch parties downtown) and your summary couldn't be further from the truth.  They played a VERY fast game, albeit a power one as well.  I called that series a sweep, and almost got it right, because while Vegas played fast Washington player just as fast AND were bruisers.  They murdered Vegas on the forecheck, in transition, and even shorthanded.  All scenerios when speed matters a lot.  But on top of that they were big and strong.  For instance, Evgeny Kuznetsov is just as fast as William Karlsson, but WAY bigger and stronger.  Same with Wilson, same with Ovie, same with Backstrom and Carlsson, and DSP, and on and on.  Washington was NOT some San Jose type.  They were relentless that year.

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Blashill's system I thought was basically allowing his Dmen to join the rush more than Babs did. And also not requiring a 3rd man to stay high on the forecheck like Babs was doing. I don't think that was ever congruent with this roster. That system requires talented mobile Dmen who can get up and down the ice and make good plays (something we haven't had in 500 years)

But whatdo I know I'm a Babs fan.

These days Blash's system is not being able to willfully enter or exit any zone. I honestly don't know what his systems are anymore.

I don't think this was ever a reality, it was just something fans wanted.  And after Babs' tenure they assumed Blash was more "offensive" but he really never has been.  One example is how he constantly defaults to less risky defensemen over more risky, more offensive, ones.  Blash wants his d-men to stay back, gain possession, and pass (transition) the puck out of the d-zone quickly rather than jump into the play and let a forward shift back.  This is why Blash talks CONSTANTLY about making a good first pass, or passing off the boards, effectively.  Because he places a premium on them transitioning the puck, via pass, rather than joining the rush. That's why Bowey (who's really good rushing the puck) was a early season waive while a dude like Biega stays on the roster.  The latter has no interest in joining the rush, and scores no points as a result, but is therefore more acceptable to Blash. 

Edited by kipwinger

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

I don't think this was ever a reality, it was just something fans wanted.  And after Babs' tenure they assumed Blash was more "offensive" but he really never has been.  One example is how he constantly defaults to less risky defensemen over more risky, more offensive, ones.  Blash wants his d-men to stay back, gain possession, and pass the puck out of danger rather than jump into the play and let a forward shift back.  That's why Bowey was a early season waive while a dude like Biega stays on the roster.  That's also why Blash talks CONSTANTLY about making a good first pass, or passing off the boards.  Because he places a premium on them transitioning the puck, via pass, rather than joining the rush. 

Oh I think this used to be Blash's system and he has since corrected to whatever god knows what this is currently.

I remember a couple of times all holy Zetterberg joining the forecheck instead of staying back as the 3rd man and us giving up the odd man rush.

If you look at the stats on high danger chances for and against I believe both go way up for us in Jeffs first year.

I definitely agree he trys to play a strong transition game. Bowey got waived purely cause he blows. I much prefer Biega.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Oh I think this used to be Blash's system and he has since corrected to whatever god knows what this is currently.

I remember a couple of times all holy Zetterberg joining the forecheck instead of staying back as the 3rd man and us giving up the odd man rush.

If you look at the stats on high danger chances for and against I believe both go way up for us in Jeffs first year.

I definitely agree he trys to play a strong transition game. Bowey got waived purely cause he blows. I much prefer Biega.

Blows at what, he's clearly a better point producer?  I just don't think our coach values that as much as a guy who never gets beat back.  And I don't really care one way or another.  But I did watch a video on youtube of Peter Laviolette giving a conference presentation on his system at some coaching conference.  In it, he describes how once his team gains possession of the puck the three most forward guys, regardless of position, join the rush and attack and the other two (again, regardless of position) get back to cover.  It seems to me that a guy like Bowey would be a more valuable piece than a guy like Biega in a system like that. 

Here's the video, it's pretty long but it's a SUPER interesting take on his system and why it's so different than a guy like Babcock or Hitchcock or whomever. 

12 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Blows at what, he's clearly a better point producer?  I just don't think our coach values that as much as a guy who never gets beat back.  And I don't really care one way or another.  But I did watch a video on youtube of Peter Laviolette giving a conference presentation on his system at some coaching conference.  In it, he describes how once his team gains possession of the puck the three most forward guys, regardless of position, join the rush and attack and the other two (again, regardless of position) get back to cover.  It seems to me that a guy like Bowey would be a more valuable piece than a guy like Biega in a system like that. 

Here's the video, it's pretty long but it's a SUPER interesting take on his system and why it's so different than a guy like Babcock or Hitchcock or whomever. 

Holy s*** over an hour. I'll have to watch when I'm not doing anything important, like when I'm at work tomorrow.

Bowey is fast, big, better shot and more offense, but he was born with a bad brain unfortunately.

Biega has better decision making, is also fast, and pretty gritty despite his size. Like you say he doesn't get beat back, which is a valuable asset in a system where guys are pressing a bit more. Blash tried/trys to steer things more offensively than button down the hatches Babs. Under Babs u didn't necessarily always have to rush back on to play D cause their were always 3 guys back ready to defend.

I think Biega is a product of a system that needs a lot offensively minded Dmen but doesn't have them.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Holy s*** over an hour. I'll have to watch when I'm not doing anything important, like when I'm at work tomorrow.

Bowey is fast, big, better shot and more offense, but he was born with a bad brain unfortunately.

Biega has better decision making, is also fast, and pretty gritty despite his size. Like you say he doesn't get beat back, which is valuable asset in a system where guys are pressing a bit more. He tried/trys to steer things more offensively than button down the hatches Babs. Under Babs u didn't necessarily always have to rush back on to play D cause their were always 3 guys back ready to defend.

It's a really cool video breakdown of how Laviolette prioritizes offensive hockey in transition.  Totally worth the watch, but yeah, takes a ton of time. Starts getting really good about 21 minutes in.  You can see how his defensemen operate as opposed to ours.  But also, as you're watching that part, imagine how good the Wings would be with guys like Mantha, AA, Zadina, Hronek, Larkin, Beggren, Seider, McIsaac, or Cholo doing that. 

Edited by kipwinger