• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

1/22 Born to be Mild GDT - Red Wings @ Wild - 8:00 PM ET (NBCSN)

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Everyone's gonna be watching that game. We should have a GDT for it. Stupid oilers talked so much they have to do something now.

Usually I'd be rooting for the Flames, but not for the games on the 29th, and Feb 1st.

I enjoy Tkachuk's  game (as I do Marchand)  - however he needs to answer for taking runs at a guy who unlike Doughty knows how to fight.

He looks like a crazy mo-fo...

Related image

4 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Usually I'd be rooting for the Flames, but not for the games on the 29th, and Feb 1st.

I enjoy Tkachuk's  game (as I do Marchand)  - however he needs to answer for taking runs at a guy who unlike Doughty knows how to fight.

Related image

I don't really care either way. As long as it's a blood bath. I'm hoping Tkachuk lays someone out in like the first 30 seconds of the game.

9 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Related image

Why does Tkachuk have to answer for clean hits that were applied to a man that outsizes him? Can't Kassian just, I don't know, check him back? 

I think Kassian should answer for that stupid facial hair. 

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Why does Tkachuk have to answer for clean hits that were applied to a man that outsizes him? Can't Kassian just, I don't know, check him back? 

These guys sum it all up quite well IMHO...

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ryan-kesler-lays-down-the-law-on-matt-tkachuk-everybody-that-knows-the-game-of-hockey-thinks-what-kassian-did-is-right

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I think Kassian should answer for that stupid facial hair. 

3mvjw3.jpg

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

An Oilers blog using quotes from Ryan Kesler to make their point? Please

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

An Oilers blog using quotes from Ryan Kesler to make their point? Please

And Kevin Bieksa...It's a podcast...Are people not allowed to discuss anything these days?

No matter how you see things - many current/former players, and fans share a similar opinion that if a guy is gonna run around like what we saw with  Raffi Torres years ago - a rival player, or the league will step in.

In this case the Dept of Player Safety didn't...

2 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

And Kevin Bieksa...It's a podcast...Are people not allowed to discuss anything these days?

No matter how you see things - many current/former players, and fans share a similar opinion that if a guy is gonna run around like what we saw with  Raffi Torres years ago - a rival player, or the league will step in.

What? Of course people can discuss things. But I don't have to listen to what Ryan Kesler and Kevin Bieksa have to say, especially when their comments are being facilitated by, and filtered through an Edmonton media source. Forgive me if I don't see this as being even-handed sensible information. 

Other than on-ice geography, I fail to see how these hits are anything like Torres' hits. 

So I have a different take on this than you. 

Regardless, Kassian chirping about this to the media is dumb. The Oilers are being dumb. Revenge rhetoric is not very smart and also not very characteristic of a Holland team. 

You know who is smart? Mathew Tkachuk. 

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I have no problem with what Kassian did. I personally agree with DoPS and thought the hit was clean, but guys getting heated and starting scrums over a big hit is to be expected and completely fine by me. It just should have ended at that.

All the hair pulling and complaining to the media after the game just makes Kassian and the Oilers look like a buncha children. He caught you with a big hit, you wailed on him, get over it. Move on. Tkachuk is a known agitator, so you're playing right into his hands by getting this agitated about it lol.

And it's even more ironic because Kassian is a guy who hits a ton, and has a lot of hits that were high. Can't take your own medicine bud?

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

What? Of course people can discuss things. But I don't have to listen to what Ryan Kesler and Kevin Bieksa have to say, especially when their comments are being facilitated by, and filtered through an Edmonton media source. Forgive me if I don't see this as being even-handed sensible information. 

Other than on-ice geography, I fail to see how these hits are anything like Torres' hits. 

So I have a different take on this than you. 

Regardless, Kassian chirping about this to the media is dumb. The Oilers are being dumb. Revenge rhetoric is not very smart and also not very characteristic of a Holland team. 

You know who is smart? Mathew Tkachuk. 

Episode 7...I listened to it myself - the Edmonton blog pretty much summed it up as is.

https://kesandjuice.com/

I've seen a lot of people use the excuse: Wingers shouldn't be skating down to hit people behind the net. Their job is to defend up high. Torres used to make that play and he was a head hunter.

I totally disagree with this notion.

I agree that wingers probably used to be taught not to make that play, but this isn't 2005 NHL anymore. It's all about attacking the puck carrier and layering your defense, so that there's constant pressure on the puck carrier. If the primary defender gets beat, someone else swarms in to support and pick that guy up. Essentially trading who you are defending.

If you re-watch the play, Giordano is getting beat behind the net. Normally Lindholm should be there to help him out, but he has swung up high to cover McDavid on the Oilers cycle. Tkachuk is in the best position to make a defensive play for his team at that moment, and so he does. If he doesn't the much stronger Kassian is going to clear past Giordano, and when he looks up he's going to see the much faster McDavid streaking down the middle with Lindholm on his heels. By coming down to support with an aggressive hit Tkachuk made an astute defensive play, and may have saved Calgary a goal against. Honestly Tkachuk's anticipation and timing on the play were pretty impressive. I don't think there's a lot of wingers who would have recognized just how much of a dangerous situation Calgary was in before that hit was laid.

If Ovechkin had made the same play people would be praising him for his defensive instincts. But it's Tkachuk.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I've seen a lot of people use the excuse: Wingers shouldn't be skating down to hit people behind the net. Their job is to defend up high. Torres used to make that play and he was a head hunter.

I totally disagree with this notion.

I agree that wingers probably used to be taught not to make that play, but this isn't 2005 NHL anymore. It's all about attacking the puck carrier and layering your defense, so that there's constant pressure on the puck carrier. If the primary defender gets beat, someone else swarms in to support and pick that guy up. Essentially trading who you are defending.

If you re-watch the play, Giordano is getting beat behind the net. Normally Lindholm should be there to help him out, but he has swung up high to cover McDavid on the Oilers cycle. Tkachuk is in the best position to make a defensive play for his team, and so he does. If he doesn't the much stronger Kassian is going to clear past Giordano, and when he looks up he's going to see the much faster McDavid streaking down the middle with Lindholm on his heels. By coming down to support with an aggressive hit Tkachuk made an astute defensive play, and may have saved Calgary a goal against. Honestly Tkachuk's anticipation and timing on the play were pretty impressive. I don't think there's a lot of wingers who would have recognized just how much of a dangerous situation Calgary was in before that hit was laid.

If Ovechkin had made the same play people would be praising him for his defensive instincts. But it's Tkachuk.

I'd love to have a team full of Tkachuk types.

I believe his only 'knock' is that his skating is rather average by today's standards, but otherwise his skill/hockey sense is top notch.

9 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I'd love to have a team full of Tkachuk types.

I believe his only 'knock' is that his skating is rather average by today's standards, but otherwise his skill/hockey sense is top notch.

I just think Kas needs to be smarter. His job is to be a tough guy fighter and keep the flies off. Everyone seems to falsely think that's Tkachuk's job too. It's not. His job is to get under your skin and get you to take a dumb penalty. Kas freaked out and took a dumb penalty. Flames capitalized on the ensuing PP. Won the game. And passed the Oilers in the standings with the win.

Tkachuk: 1
Kassian: 0

On the 29th I don't think Tkachuk is gonna back down. He has a history of turning things up to 11 when the heat is already on 10. I think he's gonna run Kassian or whomever else he can, and then he's not gonna fight back again.

Oilers have to decide if they wanna get back at Tkachuk or win the game. That would be my message to the lockerroom if I was Tippett. Ignore him. Win this game. Chirp him after.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I just think Kas needs to be smarter. His job is to be a tough guy fighter and keep the flies off. Everyone seems to falsely think that's Tkachuk's job too. It's not. His job is to get under your skin and get you to take a dumb penalty. Kas freaked out and took a dumb penalty. Flames capitalized on the ensuing PP. Won the game. And passed the Oilers in the standings with the win.

Tkachuk: 1
Kassian: 0

On the 29th I don't think Tkachuk is gonna back down. He has a history of turning things up to 11 when the heat is already on 10. I think he's gonna run Kassian or whomever else he can, and then he's not gonna fight back again.

Oilers have to decide if they wanna get back at Tkachuk or win the game. That would be my message to the lockerroom if I was Tippett. Ignore him. Win this game. Chirp him after.

I'd expect a few runs will be made at Tkachuk - by Kassian, and/or Nurse, and maybe some guy they call up from the AHL :lol:

And yeah - Tkachuk gonna Tkachuk...Pi$$ing off the Oilers, and the fans since the game on the 29th will be in Edmonton.

I'm sure 'Frankenstein'  (aka Oilers owner Katz), and Holland  will host Bettman, and Co in Katz'  suite since this has the potential for a resurrection of '80s era rivalry.

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That's a great turtle impression, Matthew.

Poor linesman gets knocked on his keester when the melee ensues.