• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Joe S

is there anything "good" about the Wings?

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The whole cooper being available meme is what it is. A meme. Ill believe it when I see it.

Lavs and Gallant are B level coaches. If we want a D level team coached by a B level coach sure i guess.

Babs is top line defensive coach who will either turn ur team of 3 stars recruits into defensive all stars or piss off the lazy ones till they wanna quit. We can afford to let the lazy ones quit.

Its a good story too. Babs restarts his career where he belongs humbled by his experience in toronto. 

If it worked for Larry Murphy, Bob Rouse, and Jamie Macoun...Then again you're probably too young to remember all that.

45 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Now if Grand Master Y were to let Blashill go this summer...

What's the likelihood of Cooper being available, and/or Gallant/Laviolette wanting to coach the Wings - considering the condition the team is in?

The more I think about it - Babcock just might be the guy who'll take the risk/reward as a reclamation project both for himself, and for the Detroit Red Wings.

I think the success Yzerman had in Tampa will attract good coaches like Gallant or Laviolette.  They know they can count on him to load this team with high end talent, so I doubt the current state of the team will be a consideration when deciding on whether to take over as coach.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

2019-20 - the poop's poop - but only draft 4th

2020-21 - last, but better (this year's team could have won 7 more games at this point and still be last) - pick 3rd

2021 - 22 - bottom 5 - pick 7th 

2022 - 23 - bottom 10 - finally win the lottery

2023 - 24 - playoffs 

*starts searching for 2023's McDavid* 

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Larkin is a number one center.

Mantha is a top line winger (when healthy).

Zadina is looking like a top six (possibly top line) winger.

Bertuzzi, Fabbri and Athanasiou are middle six wingers.

Smith is looking like a solid bottom six (possibly middle six) winger.

Hirose has been great in GR, and could still be a middle six winger (or trade bait).

Veleno and Rasmussen should be good middle six centers / wingers.

Svechnikov has been mediocre in GR, but could still be a bottom six winger (or trade bait).

Hronek is a top four (possibly top pair) defenseman.

Cholowski hasn't been great, but could still be a top four defenseman.

Bowey has been good offensively, bad defensively, but could still be a bottom pair defenseman (or trade bait).

Seider has been dominant in GR, and should be a top pair defenseman.

McIsaac should be a bottom four defenseman.

Things are really bad right now, but there are some definite bright spots. We desperately need to add some elite talent. Hopefully we get some luck in the upcoming draft...

Larkin may be a number 1 center, but at this point I'd consider him a lower end 1c, that I'd be more comfortable slotting in as a 2c.

9 minutes ago, TLGTrico said:

Larkin may be a number 1 center, but at this point I'd consider him a lower end 1c, that I'd be more comfortable slotting in as a 2c.

For sure, because he's having a bad season, like most of the team. Last season, there was no doubt, he was a legit 1C. This season, everyone is questioning it, which is understandable I guess. He needs to be much better, and he will be much better. Even at his peak, I doubt he'll be an elite 1C, but still a top 15-25C in the league.

Yzerman called it in the summer: We have some good young talent in the system, but we don't have enough of it.

That's it. That's the situation. Everything else is noise.

"But this team is historically awful. Surely that speaks to the sheer hopelessness of the situation."

I hear that. But, I mean, while it's easy to complain and doom-'n'-gloom about the situation (God knows I've done my fair share of that this season), I'm honestly not sure there's a meaningful difference between finishing the season with a -50 goal differential and finishing the season with a -150 goal differential. If you're finishing -50, you're a really bad team. The Devils are currently at -49. If you're finishing -150, you're a really bad team ravaged by a perfect storm of suck. The Wings are currently at -96. IMO, the Wings are a really bad team that's been ravaged by a perfect storm of suck.

Part of me feels that we as fans should treat this season the way players treat unbelievably awful losses: dump it from memory, move on. I know we need to be angry. I know we need to be sad. I know we need to point fingers and cast aspersions. I know some people will have to pay a price. I get all that. What I'd caution against is trying to draw lots of major conclusions from a season that's only been a disaster in the sense that it's executing Yzerman's vision too well. This team was built to fail this season. The team's just being "extra" about it.

What to do? Well, I think Blashill probably has to go and I think that could be simple addition by subtraction (and that's not factoring in the potential New Coach Boost). This team shoots the puck only as a measure of last resort, and we have precious few high-percentage shooters even with Mantha and Athanasiou in the lineup on a regular basis, so it should come as no surprise that the goals aren't coming. This team surrenders both the middle and the top of the D-zone and our D group isn't particularly good at blocking shots and our D group isn't physically capable of consistently clearing out the crease, so it should come as no surprise that we're getting lit the f*** up on a nightly basis.

So Blashill is probably gone and that's probably good. Additionally, we'll be shedding some zombie veterans around trade deadline time and in the summer. And we'll be getting at least one "elite, elite" prospect in the draft.

So I'm not all that worried about the state of things. Push the original rebuild timeline back a year or two or three and let's continue to acquire young talent and shed old talent and see where we are in a year or two or three.

21 hours ago, xtrememachine1 said:

I think the success Yzerman had in Tampa will attract good coaches like Gallant or Laviolette.  They know they can count on him to load this team with high end talent, so I doubt the current state of the team will be a consideration when deciding on whether to take over as coach.

While I don't doubt Grand Master Ys ability as a GM, but we must keep in mind that when he arrived in Tampa - both Stamkos, and Hedman were already part of the team, and things were already trending in the right direction.

Yes he did 'fine tune' things down there to help create the team that they are today (in particular my favorite example was letting Drouin rot while he has his hissy-fit, and then trading him to Montreal for Sergachev).

We're still in the muck, and it'll be a few years, or more before things turn around...I'm not sure if some of the guys I mentioned will want to take on this endeavor...Babcock on the other hand needs to repair his reputation, and with his experience, and working alongside Grand Master Y - he might be the best guy for the job who's both willing, and able.

16 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

While I don't doubt Grand Master Ys ability as a GM, but we must keep in mind that when he arrived in Tampa - both Stamkos, and Hedman were already part of the team, and things were already trending in the right direction.

Yes he did 'fine tune' things down there to help create the team that they are today (in particular my favorite example was letting Drouin rot while he has his hissy-fit, and then trading him to Montreal for Sergachev).

We're still in the muck, and it'll be a few years, or more before things turn around...I'm not sure if some of the guys I mentioned will want to take on this endeavor...Babcock on the other hand needs to repair his reputation, and with his experience, and working alongside Grand Master Y - he might be the best guy for the job who's both willing, and able.

I'll be pretty amazed if it's Babcock; I think that ship has sailed.

4 hours ago, F.Michael said:

He definitely had some pieces to build around when he started in Tampa, but from there he drafted Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Brayden Point.  Traded for Ben Bishop before he became the All Star he is today.  Most importantly though, he found coaches in Boucher and Cooper that knew how to utilize Stamkos and Hedman and help them reach their potential at the NHL level.  There are a lot of players at the NHL level that are underachieving because of poor coaching.  A good coach will look at the Wings record, then look at its roster and see the untapped talent not living up to its potential and see an opportunity to really make a name for themselves.  An original six team with a history of greatness, good ownership, a GM with a proven track record and lots of good young prospects in their early 20s or younger.  Detroit has to be at the top of the list for any available coaches right now.

12 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

He definitely had some pieces to build around when he started in Tampa, but from there he drafted Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Brayden Point.  Traded for Ben Bishop before he became the All Star he is today.  Most importantly though, he found coaches in Boucher and Cooper that knew how to utilize Stamkos and Hedman and help them reach their potential at the NHL level.  There are a lot of players at the NHL level that are underachieving because of poor coaching.  A good coach will look at the Wings record, then look at its roster and see the untapped talent not living up to its potential and see an opportunity to really make a name for themselves.  An original six team with a history of greatness, good ownership, a GM with a proven track record and lots of good young prospects in their early 20s or younger.  Detroit has to be at the top of the list for any available coaches right now.

I guess I don't share your enthusiasm. 

25 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Mike Green kinda reminds me of that Larry Murphy from Toronto. Similar situation. 

I must respectfully disagree.

Was Green ever boo'd in front of a home crowd on multiple occasions?

Had Green won not 1, but 2 Cups prior to being boo'd?

Will Green ever make it to the HoF?

Does Green have an affinity towards hot dogs?

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

I must respectfully disagree.

Was Green ever boo'd in front of a home crowd on multiple occasions?

Had Green won not 1, but 2 Cups prior to being boo'd?

Will Green ever make it to the HoF?

Does Green have an affinity towards hot dogs?

Murphy was an underachieving, veteran, RHD, with offensive ability at the time, like Green is now. Green may not get booed, but I think it's safe to say he's warn out his welcome, and the fans would be happy to trade him for a 3rd rounder.

10 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Murphy was an underachieving, veteran, RHD, with offensive ability at the time, like Green is now. Green may not get booed, but I think it's safe to say he's warn out his welcome, and the fans would be happy to trade him for a 3rd rounder.

I get what you're saying, but Green has never been, nor will he ever be anything near what Murphy had accomplished in their respective careers.

Green wouldn't last for a second in Toronto.

I recall watching an interview of Murph after his 1st game as a Wing against his old club...Wings won that game, and he more, or less told it like it is - Toronto fan base, and the media chews up players, and spits them out for no apparent reason...MGT there at the time reacts to the hype/pressure - Murphy more, or less said they're all a bunch of f-ing morons.

Bowman probably creamed his panties when the Leafs wanted to get rid of him.

EDIT - back in the '90s I had a cushy job as a security guard in a nice hospital. They had a satellite dish (the old school 6 foot wide variety) that was hooked up to a screen projector in the auditorium. I used to watch games on the CBC every weekend; Murphy getting boo'd was loud, and clear in Maple Leaf Gardens.

Edited by F.Michael

11 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If we're comparing Murphy to Green I think we should point out that Murphy was acquired for "future considerations" which amounted to basically nothing. Wings got him for free. 

No.

I'd like to say the guys they've drafted high over the years were progressing (Rasmussen, Zadina, Veleno, Svechnikov). That would make it easier to stomach the current roster.  It would make fans feel that help is coming.  However, none of these players look like they're going to be difference makers.  

Help is not coming unless Seider can be the second coming of Bobby Orr or if they can draft this Frenchie everyone keeps talking about and he becomes the next Mario Lemieux.    

Edited by GMRwings1983

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Fabbri -------------------------------- 2W - 2C - 2W
Hirose - Athanasiou - Glendening --------------------- 4W - 3C - 4W
Erne - Filppula - Abdelkader --------------------------- 4W - 4C - 4W
Smith - Ehn - Perlini -------------------------------------- 4W - 4C - 4W

Nemeth - Biega -------------------------------------------- 6D - 7D
Bowey - Hronek -------------------------------------------- 6D - 2D
Daley - Lindstrom ------------------------------------------ 7D - 7D

Trade em all

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Fabbri -------------------------------- 2W - 2C - 2W
Hirose - Athanasiou - Glendening --------------------- 4W - 3C - 4W
Erne - Filppula - Abdelkader --------------------------- 4W - 4C - 4W
Smith - Ehn - Perlini -------------------------------------- 4W - 4C - 4W

Nemeth - Biega -------------------------------------------- 6D - 7D
Bowey - Hronek -------------------------------------------- 6D - 2D
Daley - Lindstrom ------------------------------------------ 7D - 7D

Trade em all

Somebody wants a like from NITF

5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Somebody wants a like from NITF

Do you honestly disagree?

I'm being completely honest. I think this team has a 2nd line, three 4th lines, and one decent Dman with a buncha scrubs. I based this on the teams last lineup obviously.

Plus NITF ignores me because I called him an R-tard one time. Yet he calls ppl stupid. I wonder whatever happened to sympathy for the stupid people? It's not their fault their stupid. One day us stupids will rise up and end the oppression of the intelligentsia

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

On 2/6/2020 at 8:32 AM, The 91 of Ryans said:

If we're comparing Murphy to Green I think we should point out that Murphy was acquired for "future considerations" which amounted to basically nothing. Wings got him for free. 

And the guy who was traded to Pittsburgh to bring Murphy to Toronto? Dmitri Mironov, who would end up being Murphy's teammate in Detroit one year later.

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Do you honestly disagree?

I'm being completely honest. I think this team has a 2nd line, three 4th lines, and one decent Dman with a buncha scrubs. I based this on the teams last lineup obviously.

Plus NITF ignores me because I called him an R-tard one time. Yet he calls ppl stupid. I wonder whatever happened to sympathy for the stupid people? It's not their fault their stupid. One day us stupids will rise up and end the oppression of the intelligentsia

I am aware of your relationship with him. I was making a joke. In reality, I know u dont care what he thinks. And no, I don't agree with you. I would give higher rankings to a couple of those guys.