• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The 91 of Ryans

2020 Trade Deadline Thread (aka Veleno vs Rasmussen vs Fabbri vs Zadina)

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Lol, so the Rangers acquired Gauthier for a middling prospect?  I swear I read recently on LGW that someone would give AA AND Svechnikov for Gauthier and a 2nd. 

AA = 2nd

Gauthier = Svechnikov

would that be about right? 

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Would you trade AA for a 2nd straight up?  Yes or no?

Maybe for Carolina's.

His number's are comparable to Toffoli's, he's a couple years younger, with RFA cost control vs Toffoli's UFA status. Maybe he's worth a late 1st. 

Not to beat around the bush but I wouldn't be surprised either way if AA got us a 1st OR a 2nd. 

You think he's worth a 1st? 

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Maybe for Carolina's.

His number's are comparable to Toffoli's, he's a couple years younger, with RFA cost control vs Toffoli's UFA status. Maybe he's worth a late 1st. 

Not to beat around the bush but I wouldn't be surprised either way if AA got us a 1st OR a 2nd. 

You think he's worth a 1st? 

I think that given the prices that guys like Toffoli, Zucker, etc. are getting you'd be dumb to trade him for a 2nd.  Especially since it's looking like there's an arms race shaping up in the east and 1sts are already on the table.  If he gets traded for a 2nd there will be other valuable pieces thrown in. He'll either fetch a 1st, or 2nd plus (another 2nd or good prospect). 

Just now, kipwinger said:

I think that given the prices that guys like Toffoli, Zucker, etc. are getting you'd be dumb to trade him for a 2nd.  Especially since it's looking like there's an arms race shaping up in the east and 1sts are already on the table.  If he gets traded for a 2nd there will be other valuable pieces thrown in. He'll either fetch a 1st, or 2nd plus (another 2nd or good prospect). 

Here's hoping, I guess. 

Just now, The 91 of Ryans said:

Here's hoping, I guess. 

If not you hang on to him, let him play out the season, and trade him at the draft or at next year's deadline when he's bounced back.  He's an extremely valuable asset because he's a proven scorer, young, RFA, and isn't in line for a huge payday.  People looking to offload him for Jesse Puljujarvi or whatever have no idea what they're throwing away here. 

Same thing a couple years ago with Tatar.  Look back through LGW and see how many dummies were trying to give that guy away for basically nothing. Or better yet, if Brendan Smith was worth a 2nd and 3rd then AA is worth a f*ck of a lot more than a 2nd.

20 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Lol, so the Rangers acquired Gauthier for a middling prospect?  I swear I read recently on LGW that someone would give AA AND Svechnikov for Gauthier and a 2nd. 

What exactly makes Joey Keane a "middling prospect"? Because he's a 3rd round pick? He's emerging as a top prospect. He's a 20 year old defenseman that has put up 30 points in 49 games in his first season turning pro. To compare, Evan Bouchard (a top prospect), has 33 points in 50 games at the same age. Jake Bean (another top prospect), has 39 points in 49 games, a year older.

I wanted us to take a shot at Gauthier, but it looks like the Canes got a great return for him.

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If not you hang on to him, let him play out the season, and trade him at the draft or at next year's deadline when he's bounced back.  He's an extremely valuable asset because he's a proven scorer, young, RFA, and isn't in line for a huge payday.  People looking to offload him for Jesse Puljujarvi or whatever have no idea what they're throwing away here. 

Same thing a couple years ago with Tatar.  Look back through LGW and see how many dummies were trying to give that guy away for basically nothing. Or better yet, if Brendan Smith was worth a 2nd and 3rd then AA is worth a f*ck of a lot more than a 2nd.

So you wouldn't trade Athanasiou for Puljujarvi and a 2nd? That's what I've seen mostly thrown around here. Not just a 2nd, and not just a prospect. With the way the market is shaping up, I think Athanasiou is definitely worth a 2nd round pick and a high end prospect, or a 1st round pick and a middling prospect.

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

What exactly makes Joey Keane a "middling prospect"? Because he's a 3rd round pick? He's emerging as a top prospect. He's a 20 year old defenseman that has put up 30 points in 49 games in his first season turning pro. To compare, Evan Bouchard (a top prospect), has 33 points in 50 games at the same age. Jake Bean (another top prospect), has 39 points in 49 games, a year older.

I wanted us to take a shot at Gauthier, but it looks like the Canes got a great return for him.

So you wouldn't trade Athanasiou for Puljujarvi and a 2nd? That's what I've seen mostly thrown around here. Not just a 2nd, and not just a prospect. With the way the market is shaping up, I think Athanasiou is definitely worth a 2nd round pick and a high end prospect, or a 1st round pick and a middling prospect.

Something we can all agree on

15 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Yeah but Nyquist should have been worth waaaaay more than Smith and went for approx the same return. It all depends on how silly some GM has gone combined with how many assets they have to throw around (if I recall, the Sharks had no 1st to pony up for Nyquist)

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Puljujarvi is not a top prospect.  He's a bust.  He couldn't produce with Connor McDavid as his center.  So no, I wouldn't. 

As far as Keane, he's a "middling" prospect because he has no track record of production and only projects as a 3rd pairing defenseman. His numbers this year, while reasonably impressive, are the exception and not the norm.  Haven't seen a single source who suggests he's be anything other than a defensive defenseman. 

Marco Scandella AND Brendan Dillon both traded, both get 2nd and 3rd round picks in return.  So we about ready to up our expectations for Andreas Athanasiou yet or no?

Correction: Scandella return was a 2nd and 4th.

Edited by kipwinger

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I honestly think trading him at the draft might be a lot smarter, so I won't complain if Stevie is patient on this (that's not true I absolutely will complain) it's gonna be a real kick in the nuts though if he comes out flat again next season if he's not traded at the draft.

29 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:
Still kinda hoping to nab this kid in UFA this year. Detroit AND Yzerman connection with him.

Yeah, exactly what this team needs, to overpay for an average middle six center... No thanks...

16 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, exactly what this team needs, to overpay for an average middle six center... No thanks...

I'm pretty sure you said "Don't sign any UFAs" last year or something to that effect.

And yet the team added Filppula, Erne, Fabbri, and Perlini, as forwards alone.

Regardless, we'll have plenty of capspace for a 27 year old center if we are in need of one

30 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm pretty sure you said "Don't sign any UFAs" last year or something to that effect.

And yet the team added Filppula, Erne, Fabbri, and Perlini, as forwards alone.

Regardless, we'll have plenty of capspace for a 27 year old center if we are in need of one

I did, and I'll be saying the same thing this offseason (aside from a goaltender). We signed Filppula and Nemeth last offseason. Erne, Perlini and Fabbri were trades.

Sure, we'll have plenty of cap space, but that doesn't mean you have to use it. Namestnikov will get overpaid in both salary and term this offseason. I don't want that team to be the Red Wings. If we want to use cap space, use it by taking on a bad contract with 2 or less years remaining, and acquire an extra asset. Don't overpay mediocre players, because we can...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Sure, we'll have plenty of cap space, but that doesn't mean you have to use it. Namestnikov will get overpaid in both salary and term this offseason. I don't want that team to be the Red Wings. If we want to use cap space, use it by taking on a bad contract with 2 or less years remaining, and acquire an extra asset. Don't overpay mediocre players, because we can...

Translation: need to keep a C spot in the middle 6 open for my boy Veleno

:lol:

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I did, and I'll be saying the same thing this offseason (aside from a goaltender). We signed Filppula and Nemeth last offseason. Erne, Perlini and Fabbri were trades.

My point was that; you say we don't need to sign players, but we absolutely do. And it's evidenced by last year when you said the same thing, yet we still needed to add four forwards. And yet we still suck. If anything he needs to continue adding, not stand pat.

I'm merely indicating a player who has a strong connection to Detroit and Yzerman who we could target.

7 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Translation: need to keep a C spot in the middle 6 open for my boy Veleno

:lol:

That's part of it (including Rasmussen), but more than that, I just don't want to overpay again in free agency.

We sign Namestinkov to a six year, $5.5M contract to be our 2nd line center, because he would currently be our 2nd best center. However, he's not a 2nd line center, and one (or both) of Veleno and Rasmussen could very well be better than him in a year or two. All of a sudden we have another bad contract on the books for another 3-4 seasons...

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

My point was that; you say we don't need to sign players, but we absolutely do. And it's evidenced by last year when you said the same thing, yet we still needed to add four forwards. And yet we still suck. If anything he needs to continue adding, not stand pat.

I'm merely indicating a player who has a strong connection to Detroit and Yzerman who we could target.

You're saying "four" forwards again, when it was only "one". I didn't say we shouldn't add any forwards. I said we shouldn't add any forwards *via free agency*. More specifically, *overpay* for any free agent forwards, which is almost always the case. I'm all for more low-risk, high-reward trades.

Let me rephrase it... I don't think we should sign any big name free agents on July 1st to bloated contracts. If we sign another stop gap center or defenseman, I won't care. I just don't want to sign any big money, long-term contracts. That's what you do when you're a legit contender, not when you're the worst team in the league...

I will also say though, if Namestnikov wants to come to Detroit because of his uncle Vyacheslav, and is willing to sign a team friendly deal in the neighborhood of four years at $3.5M, I'd be okay with that. Of course, we know whoever he signs with, it will be for much more than that though...

WEST

Here are the playoff teams and the top 4 Wild Cards in each Conference.

We know we aren't getting more than picks for most of the players we might deal, but with each of these teams, what would you like to see in return for a AA package?  Let's say A team wants AA and Helm (50% salary retained for Helm.)

Edited by LeftWinger