• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Scott R Lucidi

Larkin Next?

Rate this topic

1. Larkin still scores more than AA even with a more well rounded game.

2. You can't win in this league if you only play offense. The best teams play 2 way hockey.

3. AA wasn't just traded because of his defensive play (or complete lack there of). He was also traded because he wasn't a team guy, wasn't liked by his teammates or coaches, and refused to play the way he was being coached, choosing instead to play the way he wanted. Which resulted in only 10 goals for and a -45.

4. We shouldn't have players like that if we want to become a better team. But I guess we can just keep the tank going indefinitely so that some of you can be 'entertained'. I would rather remove the cancer (at the expense of short term entertainment) and rebuild the team the right way, and AA was never going to be a part of that.

5. If you wanna be pissed at anyone, be pissed at AA. He did this to himself.

Scott isnt all that wrong. Ppl are just offended bc Larkin is the holy golden boy youre not allowed to criticize.

Hes having a very down year straight up. Denying that is denying reality.

He needs to get his s*** together ASAP and come in next year like a 1C 70 pt center again who plays solid D. 

Regardless i dont get the willingness to die on the sword for this kid that fans have. Hes no yzerman. Hes no Fedorov. Hes no Datsyuk. Hes no zberg. Hes a 2nd tier center. Sure the best we have, but bernier is also the best goalie we have. And berns can get fukt. 

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

2. You can't win in this league if you only play offense. The best teams play 2 way hockey.

3. AA wasn't just traded because of his defensive play (or complete lack there of). He was also traded because he wasn't a team guy, wasn't liked by his teammates or coaches, and refused to play the way he was being coached, choosing instead to play the way he wanted. Which resulted in only 10 goals for and a -45.

4. We shouldn't have players like that if we want to become a better team. But I guess we can just keep the tank going indefinitely so that some of you can be 'entertained'. I would rather remove the cancer (at the expense of short term entertainment) and rebuild the team the right way, and AA was never going to be a part of that.

Wasn't liked by his teammates? Tell that to Larkin, then, because he seemed genuinely pissed about the trade and even said that AA WAS liked and wanted to stay in Detroit.

As for AA's defense, it was no worse than a young Yzerman's, before a certain coach was brought in.

This team's biggest problem is Blashill.

8 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

2 penalties tonight that turned into ppg for NJ.  Both of them due to laziest of all laziness in his back checking.  If he cant play defense and isnt willing to backcheck properly, we need to trade him.

That's a hell of a sample size you picked there.

10 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

2 penalties tonight that turned into ppg for NJ.  Both of them due to laziest of all laziness in his back checking.  If he cant play defense and isnt willing to backcheck properly, we need to trade him.

Get f***ed lol

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Scott isnt all that wrong. Ppl are just offended bc Larkin is the holy golden boy youre not allowed to criticize.

Hes having a very down year straight up. Denying that is denying reality.

He needs to get his s*** together ASAP and come in next year like a 1C 70 pt center again who plays solid D. 

Regardless i dont get the willingness to die on the sword for this kid that fans have. Hes no yzerman. Hes no Fedorov. Hes no Datsyuk. Hes no zberg. Hes a 2nd tier center. Sure the best we have, but bernier is also the best goalie we have. And berns can get fukt. 

The Axe is just butt hurt because he was wrong about AA. 

But you're right about the bolded. 

18 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If you wanna talk about Seider, I think there's a Seider for Captain thread already

You think Seider is going to be named captain next season before playing a single NHL game?

Yzerman said there will be a captain named next season. One would assume, the only logical choice is number one center, Dylan Larkin...

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You think Seider is going to be named captain next season before playing a single NHL game?

Yzerman said there will be a captain named next season. One would assume, the only logical choice is number one center, Dylan Larkin...

Pietrangelo 

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Larkin is a sub-60 pt centerman and a joke of a modern 1C

Seider is an elite Dman and has the personality of a captain and you know it's true.

10 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I agree with all of this.  Plus, he was 25 and his age doesn't fit with our rebuild timeline.  Same is gonna happen to Mantha soon too.  Those five goals in the first two games bought him some time, but his 8 goals in the next 37 games is glaring.  Most "star" level players are basically as good as they're going to be at 25 or 26 anymore. If you're not, it's on you. 

20 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Pietrangelo 

Keep dreamin'

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Larkin is a sub-60 pt centerman and a joke of a modern 1C

Seider is an elite Dman and has the personality of a captain and you know it's true.

Larkin is having a down season, and will still crack 60 points. All while becoming a more well rounded player. His defensive game has been much improved, despite the bulls*** the OP is spewing.  Also, you know who else was a "sub-60 point center" at the age of 23? Henrik Zetterberg. Larkin is still young as f***. He probably won't ever be an elite center, but he will absolutely be a quality 1C for many years. He will also be the next Red Wings captain. Mark it!

Larkin has talent and the potential to be better.  I'd be more optimistic about our chances of turning things around quickly in this rebuild if we saw more players like him.  He, obviously, hasn't been great this year, but he is the player other teams focus on and doesn't really have a lot of talent around him to push through.  You also have to consider if his spirit is breaking a little bit.  Since his rookie year the team has been dreadful. I can recall many times over the past few years, seeing him flying around while everyone else on his line looks like pylons and he made positive things happen all by himself.  Now today, this team could be the worst in the history of the franchise.  I mean, he's human, its tough to go out there and bust your ass only to have things be worse than they were before.  Its tough to keep up that enthusiasm.

Having said that, once we start acquiring talent, build some wins, he'll be back to the way he was, probably even better.  Trading Larkin should only be considered if 5 years down the line, we're still collecting lottery picks.

20 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Keep dreamin'

Larkin is having a down season, and will still crack 60 points. All while becoming a more well rounded player. His defensive game has been much improved, despite the bulls*** the OP is spewing.  Also, you know who else was a "sub-60 point center" at the age of 23? Henrik Zetterberg. Larkin is still young as f***. He probably won't ever be an elite center, but he will absolutely be a quality 1C for many years. He will also be the next Red Wings captain. Mark it!

"Will still crack 60 pts" - Saved for later use.

Yall are smoking your own supply with the "he just workin on his D" narrative you've all conjured up. Larkin was good at D last year, and he's good at D this year, there's no paradigm shifting improvement there. You just need an excuse to lean on so you can lie to urself about this player.

Keep feeding yourself this nonsense. Larkin will NEVER be anywhere close to the caliber of Henrik Zetterberg

19 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Larkin has talent and the potential to be better.  I'd be more optimistic about our chances of turning things around quickly in this rebuild if we saw more players like him.  He, obviously, hasn't been great this year, but he is the player other teams focus on and doesn't really have a lot of talent around him to push through.  You also have to consider if his spirit is breaking a little bit.  Since his rookie year the team has been dreadful. I can recall many times over the past few years, seeing him flying around while everyone else on his line looks like pylons and he made positive things happen all by himself.  Now today, this team could be the worst in the history of the franchise.  I mean, he's human, its tough to go out there and bust your ass only to have things be worse than they were before.  Its tough to keep up that enthusiasm.

Having said that, once we start acquiring talent, build some wins, he'll be back to the way he was, probably even better.  Trading Larkin should only be considered if 5 years down the line, we're still collecting lottery picks.

"Hasn't been great" - "His spirit is breaking" - "It's tough for him to keep up enthusiasm"

This is the way you describe the player who you suggest should walk in the shoes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Zetterberg...

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This is the way you describe the player who you suggest should walk in the shoes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Zetterberg...

VERY different situation.  Yzerman played on bad teams but he also won some games, played with talented players, made the playoffs.  Lidstrom and Zetterberg never knew bad teams or faced the kind of adversity Larkin is facing right now.  Larkin is on an island and the players that can help him are either injured, in the minors or not yet drafted.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

"Will still crack 60 pts" - Saved for later use.

Can't wait...

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yall are smoking your own supply with the "he just workin on his D" narrative you've all conjured up. Larkin was good at D last year, and he's good at D this year, there's no paradigm shifting improvement there. You just need an excuse to lean on so you can lie to urself about this player.

Larkin is playing better defensively this season, with less talent around him. That's not excuses or nonsense. It's legitimate reasons as to why his numbers are down.

Last season, he was in on 32% of his team's goals. This season, he has been in on 35% of his team's goals. The team is f***ing awful. Don't put that on the shoulders of one (of their best) player(s)...

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Larkin will NEVER be anywhere close to the caliber of Henrik Zetterberg

Never said or implied that he would be...

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Sure. While I'm at it, maybe Veleno can be a 2C in my head movies as well. 

Nah, you already have that covered with your boi Rasmussen...

1 minute ago, xtrememachine1 said:

VERY different situation.  Yzerman played on bad teams but he also won some games, played with talented players, made the playoffs.  Lidstrom and Zetterberg never knew bad teams or faced the kind of adversity Larkin is facing right now.  Larkin is on an island and the players that can help him are either injured, in the minors or not yet drafted.

Totally disagree. The only player on this team who has consistently always had the best linemates is Larkin. He's been with Mantha/Bertuzzi/Fabbri basically the entire season. All four of those players have showed great improvement EXCEPT Larkin.

Your argument would be better suited for AA, who WAS actually stuck on a scoreless island with Filppula and Helm for a good chunk of the year. And now he's beasting it up in Edmonton.

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Sure. While I'm at it, maybe Veleno can be a 2C in my head movies as well. 

Liked "head movies"

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

And Seider will never be Lidstrom. Your point? 

Seider won't be Lidstrom, he'll be Pronger

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Larkin is playing better defensively this season, with less talent around him. That's not excuses or nonsense. It's legitimate reasons as to why his numbers are down.

But that's not true at all. His linemates have mostly been the same linemates he had last year. Bertuzzi and Mantha, and now plus Fabbri who is a good player.

And Bertuzzi and Mantha and Fabbri are all having better years than last year. If anything his linemates have improved.

It's clear that the notion building a team around Larkin and expecting a contender is silly. Larkin's value to this team is not going to be as a central core piece, but rather the eventual veteran leadership for the core of young players Yzerman will assemble. Larkin is the center that the kids who come in will get to play with. An important part of the team? Absolutely. The piece the team will be built around? Absolutely not.

The team will be built around the crop of young players led by Seider. Some of the current "core" will likely not be around when we contend again. However, I feel quite confident in saying that Larkin will be one of those kept around for leadership. When this team contends again, he will be a veteran that can still contribute, unlike the trash we have now.  

3 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

It's clear that the notion building a team around Larkin and expecting a contender is silly. Larkin's value to this team is not going to be as a central core piece, but rather the eventual veteran leadership for the core of young players Yzerman will assemble. Larkin is the center that the kids who come in will get to play with. An important part of the team? Absolutely. The piece the team will be built around? Absolutely not.

The team will be built around the crop of young players led by Seider. Some of the current "core" will likely not be around when we contend again. However, I feel quite confident in saying that Larkin will be one of those kept around for leadership. When this team contends again, he will be a veteran that can still contribute, unlike the trash we have now.  

Liked "Larkin's value to this team is not going to be as a central core piece"