• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nyquist, Tatar, and Hudler were all 5-9 to 5-10 and played even smaller IMO. They werent floaters necessarily, but they also weren't really aggressive, go in and get the puck type guys. The were like flies when they did have the puck, buzzing around, trying to weave in and out of traffic. They were also more dependant on others for offense.

Zadina isn't much bigger per se, 6-0, but he doesn't seem "small" on the puck. He seems more aggressive to me. He creates more offense for himself than the others did. I think his shot is better, and I think he is a better finisher.

I've said before that I would compare Zadina's style of play to a different former Wing: Marion Hossa. Now Hossa was a better player, and I don't think Zadina reaches that level, but I do see him as a lesser Hossa.

Zadina is a go in and get the puck type guy to you?

Again plz elaborate, I don't at all see what ur seeing.

6 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Just out of curiosity, are comparing him to those players in terms of their play, lineup position, or point totals?

Hudler never broke 60 points except for the 14-15 season in Calgary.

Nyquist only broke 50 points once.

Tatar broke 50 points in only 3 of his 9 seasons.

I just don't see any similarities. All 3 are different style players than Zadina.

All 3 are career 2nd line wingers. I see Zadina as a 2nd line winger as he's developing his game before becoming a top liner in his mid thru late 20's, then falling back into a middle 6 role in his 30's.

Also, I think Zadina puts up more points and becomes a better scorer than any of those 3. I think he becomes a 60 to 70 point guy by his mid 20's. None of those other 3 ever did that.

I'm assuming you meant to quote CRL, not me? I agree in ways about the comparison to those players in style of game, but not at all in overall potential (floor / ceiling).

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well lets be clear on what "bust" means now since your so very uptight about the use of the word. He's a bust relative to the expectations I have for someone of his draft pedigree.

Cool? Cool.

Whatever you say...

In regards to Seider we're gonna play "you would do the same in my shoes". Okay. Frankly I don't appreciate you assuming that. If I behave badly in a zealous defense of Seider plz go ahead and call me out with the blood on my hands. But till I do it, I resent the implication I would. Don't find me guilty before the crime is even committed. That outta the way, I gave you examples of my responses to Seider critics on draft day. The closest thing we got. I believe I won many folks over to Seiders team that day because I didn't brow beat anyone who critiqued him. I spoke passionately and in depth about his game, and let that speak for itself. The same thing I'm asking Zadina fans to do. I can write pages about why Seider is THAT good. Can you even give me one wall text about Zadina?

Like I said, it hasn't been done other than draft day a little. But I do believe I could go to toe to toe with any theoretical persons with serious criticisms of him in a constructive substantive way. I could write a paragraph on his gap control alone. Till the day comes.

It's cute that you think that YOU won many fans over with your breakdown of Seider's game, but it wasn't you at all... Seider himself won the fans over with his awesome flow, bashful attitude, and stellar play.

Zadina had many doubters after his draft +1 season (not that he should have), but most of that doubt should have gone away after his draft +2 season. He was very impressive for a 19/20 year old, regardless of draft position.

Why is it so important for someone to give you a wall of text on Zadina's game? I've already stated several things I like about his game. I didn't go into enough detail for your liking?

"Zadina has a great shot".

"That's not good enough. Explain why he has a great shot". 

Nah... Watch the video, you'll see many examples of why he has a great shot. You'll also see many examples of why he's a good stick-handler, puck carrier, underrated passer, and like Neo mentioned, dump and chase, winning puck battles, etc. etc.

Is this on your tv? I mostly only use the app on my phone.

I watch games on my TV, through the app on my tablet.

lol naah he'll be better than this year. He woulda been at best a 3rd liner on any decent team and may have not even been called up.

I disagree. 2nd liner on most teams. 3rd liner on a handful of teams.

And why're you assuming what I will respond with? You dont have a law or science background, that much I know now.

I'm not assuming anything. It was your response on a couple other posts...

Ohhhh I see. How convenient. Every forward has the potential to be a top liner yes. Now then by that logic you will concede that Chris Ehn has top line potential no?

I didn't say that 1st line is the ceiling of "every" NHL winger. It's the highest ceiling of *any* NHL winger. There's a difference. You can't play any higher than the 1st line, which would mean that there's no ceiling above the 1st line...

If you want to believe Ehn's ceiling is that high, by all means...

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm not following.

Nyquist is a underrated passer huh? All the more the two have in common lol.

Again, stylistically, I can see some similarities. It's not a terrible player comp. Overall potential though, I completely disagree. Like Neo mentioned, none of those players were legit top line wingers through their prime. Zadina, in my opinion, will absolutely be a top line winger, *potentially* one of the better top line wingers in the league, through his prime.

I see Zadina's floor as a 50-60 point winger, ceiling as a 90-100 point winger, but he'll likely fall somewhere in between, around 70-80 point winger. You very clearly disagree with that, which is fine. But even if you think he'll likely be a 50-60 point winger, that's not at all a bust, even taking into account his draft position. It's not what you're ideally looking to land at 6th overall, but it's far from a bust...

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm assuming you meant to quote CRL, not me? I agree in ways about the comparison to those players in style of game, but not at all in overall potential (floor / ceiling).

Whatever you say...

It's cute that you think that YOU won many fans over with your breakdown of Seider's game, but it wasn't you at all... Seider himself won the fans over with his awesome flow, bashful attitude, and stellar play.

Zadina had many doubters after his draft +1 season (not that he should have), but most of that doubt should have gone away after his draft +2 season. He was very impressive for a 19/20 year old, regardless of draft position.

Why is it so important for someone to give you a wall of text on Zadina's game? I've already stated several things I like about his game. I didn't go into enough detail for your liking?

"Zadina has a great shot".

"That's not good enough. Explain why he has a great shot". 

Nah... Watch the video, you'll see many examples of why he has a great shot. You'll also see many examples of why he's a good stick-handler, puck carrier, underrated passer, and like Neo mentioned, dump and chase, winning puck battles, etc. etc.

I watch games on my TV, through the app on my tablet.

I disagree. 2nd liner on most teams. 3rd liner on a handful of teams.

I'm not assuming anything. It was your response on a couple other posts...

I didn't say that 1st line is the ceiling of "every" NHL winger. It's the highest ceiling of *any* NHL winger. There's a difference. You can't play any higher than the 1st line, which would mean that there's no ceiling above the 1st line...

If you want to believe Ehn's ceiling is that high, by all means...

Again, stylistically, I can see some similarities. It's not a terrible player comp. Overall potential though, I completely disagree. Like Neo mentioned, none of those players were legit top line wingers through their prime. Zadina, in my opinion, will absolutely be a top line winger, *potentially* one of the better top line wingers in the league, through his prime.

I see Zadina's floor as a 50-60 point winger, ceiling as a 90-100 point winger, but he'll likely fall somewhere in between, around 70-80 point winger. You very clearly disagree with that, which is fine. But even if you think he'll likely be a 50-60 point winger, that's not at all a bust, even taking into account his draft position. It's not what you're ideally looking to land at 6th overall, but it's far from a bust...

There's other things that come into play too. If a high pick peaks as a middle six winger, but has a long, solid career in the league, becomes a well rounded player, is a team leader and mentor, good locker room guy, is willing to play wherever/whenever, and practices good sportsmanship...I would say he was not a bust, even if his stats and personal achievements say he was nothing special.

16 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That's a hilarious accusation and like from you two clowns...  you know the guys who were trying to whitewash Zadina's stat line by pretending the 18-19 season never happened...  keep consoling each other.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

There's other things that come into play too. If a high pick peaks as a middle six winger, but has a long, solid career in the league, becomes a well rounded player, is a team leader and mentor, good locker room guy, is willing to play wherever/whenever, and practices good sportsmanship...I would say he was not a bust, even if his stats and personal achievements say he was nothing special.

That's a pretty soft landing spot you're preparing there...  looks like doubt is creeping in.

24 minutes ago, mackel said:

That's a hilarious accusation and like from you two clowns...  you know the guys who were trying to whitewash Zadina's stat line by pretending the 18-19 season never happened...  keep consoling each other.

That's a pretty soft landing spot you're preparing there...  looks like doubt is creeping in.

Everywhere you go there's folks like you and me. I don't post there but I've seen Zadina doubters on reddit, HFboards, twitter, you name it. And it looks to me like that doubt is creeping in and slowly beginning to wear down the average fans confidence in him. The smoke is there, and folks are starting to internalize that there might also be a fire.

Keep chipping and the false pedestal that Zadina sits upon will eventually crumble. All in good time my dear @mackel.

5 hours ago, mackel said:

Nope. I literally just said yesterday what my views on Zadina are. That post you quoted wasn't about Zadina. He'll be better than that. If you're interested in the type of guy that fits that post: Sam Gagner. And Zadina is already a better player.

And you literally picked out one player's stats to support your argument when there are more that refute it than support it. That's literally the definition of "cherry picking'.

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Everywhere you go there's folks like you and me. I don't post there but I've seen Zadina doubters on reddit, HFboards, twitter, you name it. And it looks to me like that doubt is creeping in and slowly beginning to wear down the average fans confidence in him. The smoke is there, and folks are starting to internalize that there might also be a fire.

Keep chipping and the false pedestal that Zadina sits upon will eventually crumble. All in good time my dear @mackel.

So now it's bust or pedestal? Isn't that what you would call a "false dichotomy"?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nope. I literally just said yesterday what my views on Zadina are. That post you quoted wasn't about Zadina. He'll be better than that. If you're interested in the type of guy that fits that post: Sam Gagner. And Zadina is already a better player.

And you literally picked out one player's stats to support your argument when there are more that refute it than support it. That's literally the definition of "cherry picking'.

So now it's bust or pedestal? Isn't that what you would call a "false dichotomy"?

Zadina is a false prophet. God willing Yzerman will cast him off like Drouin in exchange for a better player. But this purging will not cleanse your souls of the worship of false idols. Dirty heathens led astray...

Speaking of Drouin, and Yzerman trading him for Sergachev... Yzerman should put an offer sheet in on Sergachev this summer.

Tampa currently have 10 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders under contract, eating up $76.2M.

We don't know yet where the salary cap is going to be next season, but it's very possible it could stay around the current $81.5M, or even go down.

Either way, as it stands right now, the Lightning would have approximately $5M (give or take) to sign 4 forwards and 4 defensemen. Sergachev and Cirelli are their only two big name RFA's, but both will command significant increases from their current ELC's. They also have Cernak, Joseph and Verhaeghe as other notable RFA's and Maroon, Shattenkirk and Bogosian as notable UFA's.

Tampa don't have any really bad contracts, but they do have a few high dollar contracts that they could afford to trade. They could possibly trade one or two of Johnson, Gourde, or Palat to free up some cap space (approximately $5M each).

Regardless, they're going to be in cap hell going into next season. If we offered Sergachev, somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.25M for 6 years, I don't think there's any way they would be able to match. It would cost us our 2021 1st round pick, and 2022 3rd round pick.

I know a lot of people would be wary of trading our 2021 1st, but getting a player like Sergachev would be worth it in my opinion. Adding Sergachev, Seider, and a healthy DeKeyser, in place of Green, Daley, Biega and Ericsson would be a massive upgrade. That, along with potentially landing the 1st overall pick, and having a compliance buyout, I don't think we'd be in the basement again next season...

After next seasons trade deadline...

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Lafreniere - Veleno - Mantha
Fabbri - Rasmussen - Gagner
Smith - Glendening - Svechnikov
Erne / Timashov

Sergachev - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek
Cholowski - Bowey / Lindstrom

Bernier
Talbot

*Filppula, Helm and Nemeth - traded
*Abdelkader - compliance buyout
*Nielsen - ordinary buyout

In my opinion, that looks like a young, highly skilled team, that could potentially compete for a playoff spot as early as 2022...

Edited by krsmith17

This is an interesting article...

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/nhl-draft-it-aint-easy-picking-goalies?fbclid=IwAR0QvtzWojD1G5Op-G5HTAUplHCnhozxRB2OL_vReFMz8sX9rSkpf_Skx8M

It may also indirectly make a case for us to go hard after an established 20 something year old goalie, to bridge what could likely be a sizable gap even if some of our goal-tending prospects pan out.  

My targets would be Robin Lehner and Matt Murray.

Gilbert Brule , Derick Brassard , Sam Gagner , Nikita Filatov , Oliver Ekman-Larsson , Brett Connolly , Mika Zibanejad , Hampus Lindholm , Sean Monahan , Jake Virtanen , Pavel Zacha , Matthew Tkachuk , Cody Glass

something to think about in that endless Zadina debate...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Speaking of Drouin, and Yzerman trading him for Sergachev... Yzerman should put an offer sheet in on Sergachev this summer.

the Sergachev idea is likeable, but would Yzerman do that? He was in Tampa and it´s a bit of a rude move.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

This is an interesting article...

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/nhl-draft-it-aint-easy-picking-goalies?fbclid=IwAR0QvtzWojD1G5Op-G5HTAUplHCnhozxRB2OL_vReFMz8sX9rSkpf_Skx8M

It may also indirectly make a case for us to go hard after an established 20 something year old goalie, to bridge what could likely be a sizable gap even if some of our goal-tending prospects pan out.  

My targets would be Robin Lehner and Matt Murray.

Even if we are lucky, drafting goalies now will give us a goalie in 5-7 years, unless it´s a high pick like Askarov and even he would need at least 2-3 years to become a starter. We need better goaltending now, so going hard after one of them looks like a good idea.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Tampa currently have 10 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders under contract, eating up $76.2M.

We don't know yet where the salary cap is going to be next season, but it's very possible it could stay around the current $81.5M, or even go down.

Either way, as it stands right now, the Lightning would have approximately $5M (give or take) to sign 4 forwards and 4 defensemen. Sergachev and Cirelli are their only two big name RFA's, but both will command significant increases from their current ELC's. They also have Cernak, Joseph and Verhaeghe as other notable RFA's and Maroon, Shattenkirk and Bogosian as notable UFA's.

Tampa don't have any really bad contracts, but they do have a few high dollar contracts that they could afford to trade. They could possibly trade one or two of Johnson, Gourde, or Palat to free up some cap space (approximately $5M each).

Regardless, they're going to be in cap hell going into next season. If we offered Sergachev, somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.25M for 6 years, I don't think there's any way they would be able to match. It would cost us our 2021 1st round pick, and 2022 3rd round pick.

I know a lot of people would be wary of trading our 2021 1st, but getting a player like Sergachev would be worth it in my opinion. Adding Sergachev, Seider, and a healthy DeKeyser, in place of Green, Daley, Biega and Ericsson would be a massive upgrade. That, along with potentially landing the 1st overall pick, and having a compliance buyout, I don't think we'd be in the basement again next season...

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Lafreniere - Veleno - Mantha
Fabbri - Rasmussen - Gagner
Erne / Timashov

Sergachev - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek
Cholowski - Bowey / Lindstrom

Bernier
Talbot

*Filppula, Helm and Nemeth - traded
 *Abdelkader - compliance buyout
*Nielsen - ordinary buyout

In my opinion, that looks like a young, highly skilled team, that could potentially compete for a playoff spot as early as 2022...

Let me fix this for you...

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Lafreniere - Rasmussen - Gagner
Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Erne / Timashov

Krug - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Bowey / Lindstrom

Lehner
Bernier

*Filppula, Helm and Cholowski - traded
*Abdelkader - compliance buyout/buried in the AHL
*Nielsen - buried in the AHL

25 minutes ago, mackel said:

Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Erne / Timashov

Krug - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek

Lehner
Bernier

As a member of Team Krug, I can live with this. Krug and Lehner are the exact two guys I'd target in free agency. We'd have an instant respectable top 4 and a proven playoff producer to mentor the younger dman when we finally get back there. He's had no serious injury and has been the definition of consistent his entire career. Even during that brief window when Boston sucked. 

44 minutes ago, ely s said:

So like half of 6th overall picks never reach their potential? Hmmmmm

I have a lot of love for Krug. From the same area of Michigan as me. Was the captain of the MSU hockey team when I was there. Would be thrilled to bring him home again. Like Raffi round two.

That said, Krug would be a big ******* mistake. This team is in no way ready to go all in on big UFAs. And Krug is an undersized PP specialist who's going to command a kings ransom. Krug has a flashing neon sign over his head that says mistake.

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I don't see Krug leaving Boston...I'd say he'll sign a 6, or more year deal, and retire a Bruin.

IDK a 31 year old, 30 pt, Muzzin signed for 5.6 in Toronto.

Krug is two years younger and scores double the points. I wouldn't be surprised if a team offers him north of $8 mil.

13 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

IDK a 31 year old, 30 pt, Muzzin signed for 5.6 in Toronto.

Krug is two years younger and scores double the points. I wouldn't be surprised if a team offers him north of $8 mil.

I need to clarify myself...I meant 6 years or more in terms of contract length.

I do agree he'll get a BIG raise...

1 hour ago, ely s said:

the Sergachev idea is likeable, but would Yzerman do that? He was in Tampa and it´s a bit of a rude move.

It takes big balls to pull off an offer sheet. Yes, I do think Yzerman would do it. Do I think he will do it? Probably not, but it's the type of move that needs to at least be considered to jumpstart this rebuild.

Adding a young, highly skilled defenseman like Sergachev would be massive for this rebuild. He would also fill a huge hole on that left side in the top four.

51 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

As a member of Team Krug, I can live with this. Krug and Lehner are the exact two guys I'd target in free agency. We'd have an instant respectable top 4 and a proven playoff producer to mentor the younger dman when we finally get back there. He's had no serious injury and has been the definition of consistent his entire career. Even during that brief window when Boston sucked. 

I really don't want Krug at the price he's likely going to sign for, especially considering his age. If we're looking at impact acquisitions that can help us through the rebuild, and still be contributors on the other side of the rebuild, I think they need to be 26 and under. All signs point to Krug re-upping in Boston anyway, so I don't see him as a viable option this summer.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Erne / Timashov

Krug - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek

Lehner
Bernier

Zadina > Gagner - but as long as they're both in the lineup with respectable linemates, who cares...

Veleno > Rasmussen - but as long as they're both in the lineup with respectable linemates, who cares...

Sergachev > Krug - neither are likely though...

Cholowski > Nemeth - I'd be okay with trading Cholowski, if the return is there.

Talbot < Lehner - I don't see Lehner coming to Detroit.

49 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I really don't want Krug at the price he's likely going to sign for, especially considering his age. If we're looking at impact acquisitions that can help us through the rebuild, and still be contributors on the other side of the rebuild, I think they need to be 26 and under. All signs point to Krug re-upping in Boston anyway, so I don't see him as a viable option this summer

His contract would end at the age Holland signs vets to begin with. 

Not gonna try and convince you, as  know where you stand. But it would be nice to bring in a veteran who can contribute for many years who comes from a winning culture who can help out the young dmen on the team.

Assuming the price is right, which goes without saying. In the end, the big names in free agency seem to never sign for as high as people think they will. 

6 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Not gonna try and convince you, as  know where you stand. But it would be nice to bring in a veteran who can contribute for many years who comes from a winning culture who can help out the young dmen on the team.

Assuming the price is right, which goes without saying. In the end, the big names in free agency seem to never sign for as high as people think they will. 

I just see 30 better teams lining up to sign Krug. The only way he chooses Detroit is if he cares a lot more about being closer to his family than he does winning.

Even if he does choose us, I still think it's a bad move. Krug plays very sheltered minutes for Boston. He only plays 16 minutes of even strength a night (#4 spot) and is hauling in close to 4 minutes a night of PP time... Much more than any other Bruin, including the forwards. Likewise, he never touches the short-handed unit and is deployed heavily in offensive zone starts. 57% of his points this season came on the power play.

Essentially - if we remove the PP - we're looking at a Dman who's going to give you very limited minutes, very minimal actual defense, and will net you 25-30 even strength points in a full season.

We are the last team in need of a player like that. We need big minute eaters who are going to protect Bernier and help in all zones.

Krug isn't a top Dman in this league. He's a PP specialist. But someone is gonna overpay him in cash and term most likely and I hope it's not us.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

It takes big balls to pull off an offer sheet. Yes, I do think Yzerman would do it. Do I think he will do it? Probably not, but it's the type of move that needs to at least be considered to jumpstart this rebuild.

Adding a young, highly skilled defenseman like Sergachev would be massive for this rebuild. He would also fill a huge hole on that left side in the top four.

I really don't want Krug at the price he's likely going to sign for, especially considering his age. If we're looking at impact acquisitions that can help us through the rebuild, and still be contributors on the other side of the rebuild, I think they need to be 26 and under. All signs point to Krug re-upping in Boston anyway, so I don't see him as a viable option this summer.

Zadina > Gagner - but as long as they're both in the lineup with respectable linemates, who cares...

Veleno > Rasmussen - but as long as they're both in the lineup with respectable linemates, who cares...

Sergachev > Krug - neither are likely though...

Cholowski > Nemeth - I'd be okay with trading Cholowski, if the return is there.

Talbot < Lehner - I don't see Lehner coming to Detroit.

Hey everybody. Just checking in. Anything new? 

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Zadina is a false prophet. God willing Yzerman will cast him off like Drouin in exchange for a better player. But this purging will not cleanse your souls of the worship of false idols. Dirty heathens led astray...

I would be ok with that. There's always a bigger fish.

5 hours ago, ely s said:

You mean "leave Boston at the end of my career to chase a cup in Colorado" Ray Bourque?

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Yeah. This team doesn't have any vets on the back end with a winning pedigree to mentor the young D. That's true. Still wouldn't do it tho.