• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I assume you're talking about Johansson. Hakan has compared him to Hronek (better skater, not quite as good a shot), and they were virtually the exact same size on draft day. It's nothing for a player to gain 15lbs. of bulk in one season. If Johansson (or any of these guys) are going to develop into a top 2-3 defensemen, I expect them to show that in the next 2-3 seasons.

Show that? For sure.

Cement themselves? That'll take about 5 years. 

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Sure. I'm just using "definitively establishes himself as a top-three NHL defenseman" as the target, which adds a year or two to the estimated timeline.

So let's call it 3-5 years.

Sure.

25 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Show that? For sure.

Fair enough.

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Show that? For sure.

I guess it´s after 5 years of pro hockey (AHL,Europe,NHL) for a defenseman before you really know what you have.

Take Bowey as example, 5 years, 264 games of AHL and NHL combined and now we know we have a player with no future and no real trade value.

Hronek is another one, 5 years, 259 games of AHL,Europe,NHL combined and now we know we have at least a good 2nd pair D with room to grow.

32 minutes ago, ely s said:

I guess it´s after 5 years of pro hockey (AHL,Europe,NHL) for a defenseman before you really know what you have.

Take Bowey as example, 5 years, 264 games of AHL and NHL combined and now we know we have a player with no future and no real trade value.

Hronek is another one, 5 years, 259 games of AHL,Europe,NHL combined and now we know we have at least a good 2nd pair D with room to grow.

So Hronek can still grow but Bowey can't?

24 minutes ago, ely s said:

I agree with your overall sentiment here, but I disagree that Bowey has no future and no real trade value. Bowey is a decent bottom pairing defenseman that can chip in offensively. 17 points in 53 games from the back end, on a team that severely lacked offense, is solid production. I won't be too upset if we let him walk, but I'm on the side of maybe we should extend him for another season or two, to see if he can continue to build off of last season. If he can learn to clean up his defensive game, he could be a solid defenseman.

7 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

To be fair, Bowey is 25 and Hronek is only 22, but I do think both have room for growth.

52 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

as krs stated, Hronek is 22, Bowey 25, but it´s not just the age, I just think Bowey has already hit his ceiling and Hronek has still a gear left. All Bowie can add to his toolbox is experience, but I don´t want the Wings being the team giving him that, I would prefer younger players with more upside in his spot.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree with your overall sentiment here, but I disagree that Bowey has no future and no real trade value. Bowey is a decent bottom pairing defenseman that can chip in offensively. 17 points in 53 games from the back end, on a team that severely lacked offense, is solid production. I won't be too upset if we let him walk, but I'm on the side of maybe we should extend him for another season or two, to see if he can continue to build off of last season. If he can learn to clean up his defensive game, he could be a solid defenseman.

To be fair, Bowey is 25 and Hronek is only 22, but I do think both have room for growth.

Good thing about sucking is that you can have patience with these guys. There are open spots all over our defense for prospects to grab. We can let them all play and see how they fare.

At 25 there might not be that much more to come but we got the time to find that out. 

Good article($) on Johansson. A great deal of hype in it.

https://theathletic.com/1877282/2020/06/18/red-wings-prospect-report-albert-johansson-plays-wise-hockey-in-shl/

“I just saw (them) together, and I saw Albert, and I told myself, Wow,”

- Färjestad coach Pennerborn on Albert playing with Jonathan Blum

“I think he’s going to be something very special,” 

- Jonathan Blum

“I look at his legs and his body and he’s coming (along) really good. So that will not be an issue for the future.”

- Coach Pennerborn regarding his size

Edited by Akakabuto

On 6/18/2020 at 1:40 PM, Akakabuto said:

https://theathletic.com/1877282/2020/06/18/red-wings-prospect-report-albert-johansson-plays-wise-hockey-in-shl/

- Jonathan Blum

“I look at his legs and his body and he’s coming (along) really good. So that will not be an issue for the future.”

I'm cautiously optimistic. Seems to fit the profile of what Yzerman generally looks for in a defenseman -- i.e., a smart, strong, steady, mobile two-way guy.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:40 PM, Akakabuto said:

- Jonathan Blum

Anything less than Nik Lidstrom 2.0 and I'll be devestated 

53 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Would be a great future top pairing. Yzerman needs to sack up and throw an offer sheet at his old buddy BriseBois, to acquire Sergachev (again)...

Would be great, alone or the entertainment value. :D But we all know it won't happen since NHL GMs are boring and timid as hell, especially when it comes to offer sheets.

14 minutes ago, derblaueClaus said:

Would be great, alone or the entertainment value. :D But we all know it won't happen since NHL GMs are boring and timid as hell, especially when it comes to offer sheets.

Yeah, you're likely right, but with the cap situation for both teams, I'd love to see it...

The Wings will have approximately $40M in cap space going into the offseason, depending on where the ceiling ends up for next season. After they sign their big name RFA's (Mantha, Bertuzzi, Fabbri), they should still have around $25M to work with, to sign five more players and a goalie.

The Bolts on the other hand, will only have about $5M going into the offseason, with only 15 players signed, needing to sign Cirelli and Sergachev, along with six more players.

4 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Can we take a guess on who?...

I bet they keep Abby and buyout Nielsen.  They'll have both Rasmussen or Veleno to come up and play center.... Abby, I know makes too much, but he is a servicable bottom 6 winger. Plus, if we think back to Hossa v. Franzen, Abby is a Detroit draft pick and came up through the system, so that may give him the edge on staying over Nielsen. I do believe though, it'll one or the other no matter what. Anybody else makes no sense for a buyout. They can expose the likes of Helm, Glendening, Filppula or a re-signed Gagner to Seattle to possible lose one of those names.

1 hour ago, TLGTrico said:

So how much are we gonna rage if Ottawa gets revealed at 6?

It would suck, but at least they are one of the teams not making the "play-in" plus they are at 2 and 3 in the order as it stands, so you really can't get too upset about that...now if Chicago or anybody else 6-15 OR a possible play-in loser like Pitt or Toronto get the #1, then we rage for sure!!! I cannot stand seeing teams jump 10-12 spots to win, there should be a max number of spots you can jump. It will be a Godsend if Detroit wins it! Oh boy, I am really hoping!!!!!

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I bet they keep Abby and buyout Nielsen.  They'll have both Rasmussen or Veleno to come up and play center.... Abby, I know makes too much, but he is a servicable bottom 6 winger. Plus, if we think back to Hossa v. Franzen, Abby is a Detroit draft pick and came up through the system, so that may give him the edge on staying over Nielsen. I do believe though, it'll one or the other no matter what. Anybody else makes no sense for a buyout.

I've heard most people say that we should buy out Abdelkader over Nielsen, because of the extra year on his contract, but I completely agree with you here. I'd much prefer Abdelkader as a 4W, over Nielsen as a 3C. Ideally though, either would be scratched, which would also play in Abdelkader's favor, since he makes a mil less per. Neither provide much offensively, but at least Abby adds a bit of physicality. #grit...

They can expose the likes of Helm, Glendening, Filppula or a re-signed Gagner to Seattle to possible lose one of those names.

None of those players will be under contract after next season. The most likely candidates for Seattle are probably one of Svechnikov or Lindstrom, as the roster stands right now. Of course, a lot will likely change in the next 12+ months, so who knows...

It would suck, but at least they are one of the teams not making the "play-in" plus they are at 2 and 3 in the order as it stands, so you really can't get too upset about that...now if Chicago or anybody else 6-15 OR a possible play-in loser like Pitt or Toronto get the #1, then we rage for sure!!! I cannot stand seeing teams jump 10-12 spots to win, there should be a max number of spots you can jump. It will be a Godsend if Detroit wins it! Oh boy, I am really hoping!!!!!

You misread the comment...

It was about Ottawa getting bumped down to 6 (the lowest they can drop), meaning we would be bumped down to 4... Not Ottawa jumping up to 1, which is statistically the most likely outcome...

The bold, I think everyone would agree with.

3 hours ago, TLGTrico said:

So how much are we gonna rage if Ottawa gets revealed at 6?

Things will be broken.

55 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

None of those players will be under contract after next season. The most likely candidates for Seattle are probably one of Svechnikov or Lindstrom, as the roster stands right now. Of course, a lot will likely change in the next 12+ months, so who knows...

I wouldnt mind re-signing Gagner as the 3C if Nielsen gets bought out. Veleno isn't ready yet, and Moose will probably play wing. 

Glendening will be re-signed. Of course they could get around exposing him by waiting until July 1st to do it.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie