• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

In theory. One thing to consider is that I doubt Yzerman will just bring on any old contract, unless he plans on burying them. He won't want any problem players stinking up the dressing room. 

No, definitely not. That's one (of many) reason(s) I didn't mention a player like Lucic... 

However, Eriksson and Steen are solid veterans that have just seen their on-ice production take a dip, due to age. Thus, they are being paid way too much, and that's where a team with a ton of cap space (Red Wings) comes in...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

No, definitely not. That's one (of many) reason(s) I didn't mention a player like Lucic... 

However, Eriksson and Steen are solid veterans that have just seen their on-ice production take a dip, due to age. Thus, they are being paid way too much, and that's where a team with a ton of cap space (Red Wings) comes in...

The other problem is that there are other rebuilding teams with as much or more cap space. Not saying it can't be done but IMO it wouldn't be a major failure to not bring in another 1st rounder somehow. Just disappointing.  

Edit: also (I know this sounds crazy) maybe the Wings are one of those teams that will have an internal cap in the low 70s

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

In theory. One thing to consider is that I doubt Yzerman will just bring on any old contract, unless he plans on burying them. He won't want any problem players stinking up the dressing room.

St.Louis, and Drouin are good examples of such.

13 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

The other problem is that there are other rebuilding teams with as much or more cap space. Not saying it can't be done but IMO it wouldn't be a major failure to not bring in another 1st rounder somehow. Just disappointing.

Yeah, there are a few other teams (Ottawa, Buffalo, New Jersey) with similar cap flexibility, but there are likely more teams looking to move a bad contract, than there are teams looking to take on a bad contract. Yzerman just needs to make sure that Detroit are one of the teams acquiring at least one of those bad contracts. A 1st round pick (or equivalent) should be the bare minimum return, especially with all the unique circumstances (flat cap, internal budget, etc.) due to Covid.

25 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Edit: also (I know this sounds crazy) maybe the Wings are one of those teams that will have an internal cap in the low 70s

That's certainly a possibility, although I doubt it. Chris might not be quite as willing to spend as Mike, but I doubt the Wings will ever have an internal cap under the Ilitch's.

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

What would it take to get the flyers to somewhat pay us for jvr? I dont know if we can get a 1st cause hed still have some value but if we can get a 2nd coming back and have a conversation already had with the pens im thinking since they’re trading their firsts like candy if we offered up jvr on a flip at 3.5 x3 years they would jump on it in a second and we can land the 2022 1st in the return.... then just hope players get injured and we get rewarded like the sens did

Carter Hart.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, there are a few other teams (Ottawa, Buffalo, New Jersey) with similar cap flexibility, but there are likely more teams looking to move a bad contract, than there are teams looking to take on a bad contract.

My point was that there may be competition from other GMs for the "good" bad contracts. All it takes is for Dorion to accept a 2nd from Van for Eriksson.......

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Carter Hart.

Hart and jvr for perlini , im down

28 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

My point was that there may be competition from other GMs for the "good" bad contracts. All it takes is for Dorion to accept a 2nd from Van for Eriksson.......

That will never happen , unless they’re nowhere near the bottom cap for two years  ... melnyk will never fork out a penny more than he needs to 

nevermind just checked the sens roster and its f***en depressing, theyll likely be fighting just to get to the bottom cap with all those cheap contracts .... yzerman needs to make some moves right now and not wait

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

19 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

For sure, but I don't see any team taking less than a 1st for Eriksson, or any of the other bad contracts, when we've seen the going rate over the past several years.

If a 1st is attached to Marleau with one year remaining at $6M, under normal circumstances, a 1st, plus should be attached to Eriksson with two years remaining at $6M, under these very unusual, unforeseen circumstances....

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

For sure, but I don't see any team taking less than a 1st for Eriksson, or any of the other bad contracts, when we've seen the going rate over the past several years.

If a 1st is attached to Marleau with one year remaining at $6M, under normal circumstances, a 1st, plus should be attached to Eriksson with two years remaining at $6M, under these very unusual, unforeseen circumstances....

I been saying the same thing for the longest time but whos to say they offer the sens a 2 and 3rd or 2 2nds and just think to themselves sure why not we need $ 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/senators

They have so much $ to waste and will have so many cheap contracts ... i can totally see them adding bad contracts for assets ... yzerman has to jump the gun asap cause sens can get in the way of us improving our team

On 9/8/2020 at 11:54 AM, krsmith17 said:

I don't want this team to suck, but that's the reality right now. We need to be patient, and do this rebuild the right way. No quick fixes. No shortcuts. 

We do need to get younger, and we shouldn't be mortgaging the future for older players.

This team is going to improve on last season. How can they not? Gradual improvements will turn into much bigger rewards.

Fair enough. I just don't see the payoff outweighing the cost here.

As a rebuilding team, I would take a good center that we can potentially flip for more assets, that doesn't cost anything other than cap space, over a very good center, that would likely be a rental (could also flip), that costs multiple assets.

If Danault is as good as you seem to believe, he's going to cost a LOT, which I personally wouldn't be comfortable paying.

Hell No!

I wouldn't give up two young, middle six (potentially top six) centers / wingers for one older top six center.

Again, if we're at all close to contending, these are the types of trades you make. Not in the midst of a rebuild...

I get it. I really do.

Admittedly, I'm leaning into this a little harder than I normally would, because I'm just that bored with the rebuild. But I do firmly believe this rebuild effort would greatly benefit from the addition of at least one older player who can make life much easier for the younger talent.

The focus should of course be sowing the seeds of future success. But a big part of that is making sure the soil is suitable and can allow those seeds to sprout and grow and become what we need them to become. I worry that if we continue to dick around with this 2C hole, we're only hurting the rebuild. So I'd really like to see us add a guy who can absord a big chunk of Larkin's workload and give us so depth and insulation and veteran leadership and all that good stuff.

If Danault can be had and extended for a reasonable asking price and on a reasonable contract, I feel Yzerman should pull the trigger. A team that's as thin and beaten-down as ours needs some fixed-point rocks that can always be counted on to do some very heavy-lifting and give us some very good hockey and put up more points than Glendening. We're really missing Zetterberg and Kronwall.

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I been saying the same thing for the longest time but whos to say they offer the sens a 2 and 3rd or 2 2nds and just think to themselves sure why not we need $ 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/senators

They have so much $ to waste and will have so many cheap contracts ... i can totally see them adding bad contracts for assets ... yzerman has to jump the gun asap cause sens can get in the way of us improving our team

The Sens also have a sliding attendance going back for five years now.   They need to get to the cap floor, but, I think they might shoot themselves in the foot by really over paying one or two guys to come to Ottawa..  I hope they're dumb and desperate, that can only help us.

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

If Danault can be had and extended for a reasonable asking price and on a reasonable contract, I feel Yzerman should pull the trigger. A team that's as thin and beaten-down as ours needs some fixed-point rocks that can always be counted on to do some very heavy-lifting and give us some very good hockey and put up more points than Glendening. We're really missing Zetterberg and Kronwall.

So what's the max price you would pay for Danault? For me it's a 2nd round pick (not our 2020 32nd overall), and maybe a mid tier prospect. I think Montreal would be looking for much more than that.

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Nothing that's going to move the needle, but could be a solid 18 min a night PK Dman with grit on the left side for cheap. A replacement for Ericsson & Daley that can protect the rooks.

For how much and how long?

On 9/10/2020 at 9:28 AM, The 91 of Ryans said:

This is exciting

tsn insider trading

also in the article so my mid season dream of no Blash  and having Gallant or Laviolette could be fading fast based on ...

The Washington Capitals are still searching for new a head coach with experience and there's some big names out there.

LeBrun: Well, [Capitals GM] Brian MacLellan kind of tipped his hand when he made the coaching change. He said he was looking for an experienced coach. Well, it should surprise no one that sources confirm he has interviewed Gerard Gallant, he has interviewed Peter Laviolette and, yes, he has interviewed Mike Babcock. And I think he wants to hire one of those three experienced coaches I think within the next couple weeks. Now, all three coaches have term left on their deals with their former teams. In particular, Mike Babcock has more than $17M US left to be paid out over the next three years from the Toronto Maple Leafs. How much would it take for the Caps to pay Mike Babcock for the Leafs to sign off on it if they go that route. We'll see if he goes Gallant, Laviolette or Babcock.

42 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

For how much and how long?

Well Boro has only ever signed 2 and 3 year deals and his last cap hit was $1.2. He also wore the A for Ottawa. Could be a nice servicable guy for us at little cost while the tank continues. IDK. 

45 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Mike Babcock has more than $17M US left to be paid out over the next three years from the Toronto Maple Leafs. How much would it take for the Caps to pay Mike Babcock for the Leafs to sign off on it if they go that route. We'll see if he goes Gallant, Laviolette or Babcock.

*laughs in Babcock* aka *frowns sternly*

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well Boro has only ever signed 2 and 3 year deals and his last cap hit was $1.2. He also wore the A for Ottawa. Could be a nice servicable guy for us at little cost while the tank continues. IDK. 

*laughs in Babcock* aka *frowns sternly*

With DK and Nemeth to pair with Seider and Hronek, I would offer a cheap 1 year deal to Mike Green to play with Cholowski on the 3rd pair and PP duties.

26 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

With DK and Nemeth to pair with Seider and Hronek, I would offer a cheap 1 year deal to Mike Green to play with Cholowski on the 3rd pair and PP duties.

I think I read somewhere Green has retired. 

45 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

I think I read somewhere Green has retired. 

Oh yeah. He did. I forgot about that.

There are several depth RH D that will be available in free agency. Pysyk is only 25 and a former 1st rounder. Might be worth a look. There's also vets like Chris Tanev and Roman Polak. Both are 30+ and declining. Can't imagine they'd be that expensive.

I just think Cholowski should get a shot next season on the 3rd pair. Would rather see him develop with an accomplished vet than Lindstrom or Bowey or Biega.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

There are several depth RH D that will be available in free agency. Pysyk is only 25 and a former 1st rounder. Might be worth a look. There's also vets like Chris Tanev and Roman Polak. Both are 30+ and declining. Can't imagine they'd be that expensive.

I just think Cholowski should get a shot next season on the 3rd pair. Would rather see him develop with an accomplished vet than Lindstrom or Bowey or Biega.

Radko Gudas! 

15 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Except Lindstrom's already better than Cholowski. 

6 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Except Lindstrom's already better than Cholowski. 

He's really young like Cholowski. Wouldnt be a good fit to pair the 2.

Lindstrom could always be paired with Nemeth or DeKeyser.

Edit: I wasn't saying that I would rather see him on the team over Lindstrom, just that I would rather see Cholowski paired with a RH vet; and not paired with Bowey, Biega, or Lindstrom.

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Well, there could actually be something there, since JD Burke was the first to "rumour" the "rumblings" of Seider to Detroit, leading up to last year's draft.

If true, we only have the play of Heiskanen, Maker, Theodore, and Hughes to thank for a shot at Byfield or Stutzle. 

Which also begs the question: why aren't we more excited about Drysdale at 4? 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If true, we only have the play of Heiskanen, Maker, Theodore, and Hughes to thank for a shot at Byfield or Stutzle. 

Which also begs the question: why aren't we more excited about Drysdale at 4? 

1. Because RD is something we already have in abundance.

2. The top of next year's draft is D heavy.

4 hours ago, mackel said:

Saw this in Instagram probably about as accurate as Fox "news".

20200912_214011.jpg

It's not "orange man bad" or "rioting is a peaceful form of protest", so it must be fake news.