• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

Just now, nyqvististhefuture said:

Even with those guys not signed we have more than enough bottom line talent as it is without any ufa or adding a bad contract or two

zadina should and will be on the team likely in a top 6 role .... we dont have any spots unless we can get rid of some of the likes of helm/glendening/nielsen/filppula prior to the start of the season

we have spots in free agency atm at defense and a goaltender

We have 8 signed forwards on the main roster ATM, if you go ahead and count Bertuzzi and Matha, that is 10. That leaves 4 (normally 14 FWDs) open for additions.  I agree that at some point our "kids" are going to be here, BUT if you can acquire another 1st round pick or two, another high end prospect or two, there is no reason why you don't do it and start your waiver exempt kids in GR.  Zadina, Ras, Veleno, they aren't going anywhere, and acquiring 1st round picks or high prospects to go along with them for years to come is nothing less than brilliant. Ideally Yzerman acquires 1 year overpaid UFA's to be and we only have to deal with them for this one more season.  To me, lets say Anaheim wants to dump Backes and he agrees to come here, having one of those kids in GR for another season is well worth acquiring Backes and the 1st round pick they received from Boston.

I wonder if it's possible to acquire contracts like a re-capture penalty? This would be interesting if so...

acquire Eriksson and Luongo's penalty from Vancouver along with Podkolzin. That would be $9M hit on our cap for two seasons, but wouldn't Podkolzin be worth it?

14 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

We have 8 signed forwards on the main roster ATM, if you go ahead and count Bertuzzi and Matha, that is 10. That leaves 4 (normally 14 FWDs) open for additions.  I agree that at some point our "kids" are going to be here, BUT if you can acquire another 1st round pick or two, another high end prospect or two, there is no reason why you don't do it and start your waiver exempt kids in GR.  Zadina, Ras, Veleno, they aren't going anywhere, and acquiring 1st round picks or high prospects to go along with them for years to come is nothing less than brilliant. Ideally Yzerman acquires 1 year overpaid UFA's to be and we only have to deal with them for this one more season.  To me, lets say Anaheim wants to dump Backes and he agrees to come here, having one of those kids in GR for another season is well worth acquiring Backes and the 1st round pick they received from Boston.

Ducks already said there keeping backes ,i get your point but theres no way hes gonna let timashov,erne etc.... all walk for nothing , if he wants to take on bad contracts/ufa hes gonna have to part with two of helm/nielsen/glendening/filppula right off the bat to make room ....id rather have kept most to keep for trade bait but realistically helm will fetch us a 4/5 so if we can get that now and hopefully get a galchenyuk and hope he produces and can get us a 2/3 back id do it 

we have too many similiar bottom 6 guys who cant produce offensively, some gtg

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I wonder if it's possible to acquire contracts like a re-capture penalty? This would be interesting if so...

acquire Eriksson and Luongo's penalty from Vancouver along with Podkolzin. That would be $9M hit on our cap for two seasons, but wouldn't Podkolzin be worth it?

I dont think you can do that , i could be wrong ... id say we’d need to tag on a jay beagle but we got so much trash as it is  ... at this point id take eriksson for a 2021 2nd and 2022 1st unprotected although i suspect it wont matter . Maybe add a dipietro or some mid prospect? Im not really excited over any prospects they have outside podkolzin

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

Wow! So does Staal essentially slot in now as our #1 Dman? I havent watched him play for years, is he still any good? Is he better then DD?

I'd say #3 or 4. He's not very good anymore. Injuries caught up to him. Sd and Hronek will be clear first pair. Maybe Staal and seider make up second pair.

Still an improvement compared to last year.

Edited by marcaractac

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

I'd say #3 or 4. He's not very good anymore. Injuries caught up to him. Sd and Hronek will be clear first pair. Maybe Staal and seider make up second pair.

Ok cool. Ya, can't be worse then last year, we had Biega on our second pairing at the end of last year.

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

Ok cool. Ya, can't be worse then last year, we had Biega on our second pairing at the end of last year.

Truth. Staal will also be a really good mentor for the kids. His body might not be able to do what it used to, but he was a very detail oriented dman.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

$5.7M for one more season. We could easily retain half and trade him at the deadline and get another 2nd round pick, assuming he has a decent year... 

I have  seen 3.4 mil and 4.7mil for 1 season.

Now does this mean Bowey or Biega gone?

2 minutes ago, WRusco said:

It means Ericson and Daley are gone. We likely go to camp with bowey and biega. Both are fine as a #6/7 but my guess is Biega is odd man out if all dmen are healthy. 

3 minutes ago, WRusco said:

5.7 cap hit , actual dollars is 3.4 since rangers paid a bonus which is why id eat half and ship him out asap so a team who wants to hit the floor and not waste money gets 5.7 cap hit but pays 1.6 actual dollars

one can only hope yzerman finds a taker for bowey for picks , biega will be in grand rapids

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Friend of mine who roots for the rangers says hes awful now and turns the puck over lots and costs goals . Im sure wings fans will love him longer he stays

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Wow! So does Staal essentially slot in now as our #1 Dman? I havent watched him play for years, is he still any good? Is he better then DD?

5/6/7

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Markstrom has been much better than Howard in all but one of the past six seasons, and is 6 years younger. But yeah, it totally makes sense to look at their stats over their entire careers. Never mind what they've done recently. What really matters is what Howard did when he was in his prime...

Nope. Not true.

Markstrom GAA since 2014/15: 3.09, 2.73, 2.63, 2.71, 2.77 

5 year average GAA= 2.79

Howard GAA since 2014/15: 2.44, 2.80, 2.10, 2.85, 3.07

5 year average GAA= 2.65

It wasn't until factoring in Jimmy's abysmal year this past season, that Markstrom's average is better over those seasons. Which is why I was pointing out the uselessness of judging both goalies long term based on one season. Jimmy has been better up until last season. Sorry.

Also keep in mind that Jimmy was also over 30 during those seasons and Markstrom had the benefit of being in his prime years.

When comparing GAA at similar ages you get:

Howard at ages 25-30= 2.40 GAA

Markstrom at ages 25-30= 2.78 GAA

So yeah. Keep telling yourself that Markstrom is "better" and worth twice as much money and significantly longer term.

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Who is Sd?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Nope. Not true.

Markstrom GAA since 2014/15: 3.09, 2.73, 2.63, 2.71, 2.77 

5 year average GAA= 2.79

Howard GAA since 2014/15: 2.44, 2.80, 2.10, 2.85, 3.07

5 year average GAA= 2.65

It wasn't until factoring in Jimmy's abysmal year this past season, that Markstrom's average is better over those seasons. Which is why I was pointing out the uselessness of judging both goalies long term based on one season. Jimmy has been better up until last season. Sorry.

Also keep in mind that Jimmy was also over 30 during those seasons and Markstrom had the benefit of being in his prime years.

When comparing GAA at similar ages you get:

Howard at ages 25-30= 2.40 GAA

Markstrom at ages 25-30= 2.78 GAA

So yeah. Keep telling yourself that Markstrom is "better" and worth twice as much money and significantly longer term.

So, not only are you going to cherry pick one stat, but you're also going to cherry pick the season's, and conveniently throw out this past season (most recent, and maybe most telling), because Howard sucked, and Markstrom was really good...

Save% is just as, if not a more telling stat than GAA, but you don't want to use that because it exposes your theory...

You throw out Howard's 2019-20 stats as I can only assume, an outlier, but also throw out Markstrom's 2019-20 stats, despite it being right in line with his other season's... It makes no sense...

Here are their Save% over the same time frame (5 years). Except I'm actually going to use the past 5 season's, not the past 5 season's *before this past season*...

Markstrom since 2015-16 - 0.915, 0.910, 0.912, 0.912, 0.918

5 year average - 0.9134

Howard since 2015-16 - 0.906, 0.927, 0.910, 0.909, 0.882

5 year average - 0.9068

If you really want to throw out this past season for Howard, as some sort of aberration, and not an assumed decline...

4 year average (prior to this past season) - 0.913

Markstrom is still ever so slightly better, throwing out the most recent season, assuming Howard hasn't hit a brick wall, and will miraculously beat the odds, and rebound in his 36 year old season...

So yeah, Markstrom has been better in recent years (including or, in your case, excluding this past season). We can argue all day what they're worth, but there's no doubt that Markstrom will be worth more (debatable how much) for longer, being 6 years younger than Howard...

25 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

I wouldnt get too excited for Staal. Rags were very happy to see him go. Hes likely no better than Daley or E at this point and no better of a mentor than either. The 2nd is welcome though. Maybe trade up for Askarov now??? Also Max Bultman says the Wings are open for business. We may be taking on more trouble contracts yet. 

I don't think anyone is "excited" for Staal, but most (aside from the perpetually negative) recognize this being a great trade for the Wings. As bad as Staal has been the past few season's, I'd say he's at least as good as Ericsson and Daley, and I would sign either of them for one more season, if it meant getting another 2nd round pick.

And yeah, I fully expect at least one more of these trades from Yzerman this offseason to gain more assets. I'm really hoping he can somehow get another 1st in this draft.

can the future considerations please be Jeff Blashill?

...anyhow, still have $27M in cap, add to that $6M more if needed (from Z) lets say we give a combo of $12M to Bertuzzi and Mantha, that's still $21M to sign the rest of the RFA's that he chooses to keep, plus find a goalie and probably add another contract or two! 

it is very positive to note that Marc Staal had a NMC that he waived to be traded here. So we can throw out the notion that players won't waive clauses to come here. The know they aren't going to win here, but they know they will play. As it has been talked about Staal will be a solid top 4 here. If we re-up Bowey, our D may resemble somethin like this:  (unless he makes a run at someone else)

Dekeyser - Hronek

Staal - Seider

Nemeth - Bowey

Biega

...also Yzerman did confirm that neither Daley nor Ericsson will return. He fell off for the last few years, but you always have to give props to a player who chooses to stay with us his entire career! Thank you Jonathan Ericsson! Now go scout us some European talent!!

edit: dang, I forgot Nemeth!!! Looks like Cholowski will be odd man out again! Unless he beats out Biega, but I think I'd rather had Cholowski playing minutes in GR rathe than limited time in Detroit...

Edited by LeftWinger

...also, as stated they will be using Fabbri at C this year (more than last year) so does that move Gagner to wing or does that mean one of Flip or Neilsen may be headed out? I guess if Fabbri works out at center and Gagner does too, they could always waive one of those two, he does have the cap space available to do so. 

14 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

can the future considerations please be Jeff Blashill?

...anyhow, still have $27M in cap, add to that $6M more if needed (from Z) lets say we give a combo of $12M to Bertuzzi and Mantha, that's still $21M to sign the rest of the RFA's that he chooses to keep, plus find a goalie and probably add another contract or two! 

it is very positive to note that Marc Staal had a NMC that he waived to be traded here. So we can throw out the notion that players won't waive clauses to come here. The know they aren't going to win here, but they know they will play. As it has been talked about Staal will be a solid top 4 here. If we re-up Bowey, our D may resemble somethin like this:  (unless he makes a run at someone else)

Dekeyser - Hronek

Staal - Seider

Nemeth - Bowey

Biega

...also Yzerman did confirm that neither Daley nor Ericsson will return. He fell off for the last few years, but you always have to give props to a player who chooses to stay with us his entire career! Thank you Jonathan Ericsson! Now go scout us some European talent!!

edit: dang, I forgot Nemeth!!! Looks like Cholowski will be odd man out again! Unless he beats out Biega, but I think I'd rather had Cholowski playing minutes in GR rathe than limited time in Detroit...

Na i want cholowski to get some playing time , lindstrom? I cant see how bowey isnt dealt for a pick which is more than fine and i possibly trade nemeth as well if need be and try and fetch a pick this draft

I'd also like to note that, as of right now, Detroit has TDL cap space available in the amount of...are you sitting? $85M!!!! Granted that will go down as we sign our RFA's and maybe acquire a G and another contract, but lets say we're looking at $60M in available cap at the TDL, image some Cup teams offers if they needed to clear cap in order to acquire "the missing piece" for the run? This entire season is going to be the ONE that really kicks this team's re-start! By time the 2021 draft comes around, we may have ourselves 2 or 3 1sts, and possibly 2 or 3 MORE 2nds and 3rds! You just never know!

I hope Yzerman can work something to get a second 1st round pick for this year though. I am very excited to see what happens next!

14 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Thought we’d get more for 5.7cap space , staal is done and wont get much at the deadline at all and i know we wont but id eat half his salary and try and get an owner who doesnt wanna spend money to take him on and save 4.1 mill in actual dollars 

Why the negativity? Staal would still garner a decent pick. He's on an expiring contract and most of his salary will have been paid by the TDL. No need to retain salary. Easy trade for a playoff team looking to bolster their D.

14 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Friend of mine who roots for the rangers says hes awful now and turns the puck over lots and costs goals . Im sure wings fans will love him longer he stays

5/6/7

Payback for Brendan Smith?