• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Who will be better going forward? Never mind "in his 30's"... Do you think it's likely that Howard at 36-39 will be better than Markstrom at 30-33? I don't, and I don't really think you do either. So what are arguing here?

Literally every single goaltender in the NHL (including backups) was better than Howard last season, so the "anybody but Howard" rhetoric makes some sense...

Again, I'd prefer one of the cheaper options, but Markstrom, even at $6M would be a significant enough upgrade over Howard to be worth it. I just don't want 6 years. 4x$6M would be ideal. That way he's around long enough to mentor some of the younger guys (Larsson / Petruzzelli), but not too long that we see a drastic decline.

That Markstrom will probably put up lower numbers at ages 30-33 than Howard did at the same age. And yet some fans seem to think that paying Markstrom $6 million x 4 years is good. It's not. It's an overpayment. A bad contract is never a good idea just because it's not Jimmy.

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I don't know why you keep referencing writers. They're all just quoting Yzerman's press conference. HE'S the one spinning this. He's the one that talked about "the culture" and "veteran leadership" and "filling holes in the defense". And it's not as though I expected us to be good. Though if we're going to be bad I might rather see Cholowski or Lindstrom in that LD spot, and Rasmussen or Veleno in the center spot. At least they have the ability to get better as the season progresses. Which is more fun for me as a fan, rather than watching Mark Staal slowly decay on ice.

It's a catch 22 tho. Trading for guys like Marc Staal is how we're going to acquire more draft picks.

Also, Gagner's contract is insignificant. He can always be sent down and the cap hit is negligible.

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That Markstrom will probably put up lower numbers at ages 30-33 than Howard did at the same age. And yet some fans seem to think that paying Markstrom $6 million x 4 years is good. It's not. It's an overpayment. A bad contract is never a good idea just because it's not Jimmy.

I'm not arguing that we should sign Markstrom to $6M x 4 years. I'm arguing that we should sign virtually any goaltender over Howard, because he was that bad last season. You don't win 2 games out of 27 starts and get another contract. 

"Anybody but Howard"...

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Or we can actually bury them? If we traded for alzner you’d put both staal and alzner out there? That would be a fun season lmao

We can trade for a guy eat 50% off and make them more digestable and flip them again for more assets ... there’s options 

You realize that you can only retain salary on a max of 2? players, right? This idea that you can just acquire all of these players and just trade them away to other teams at half the price is nonsense. Not to mention, other teams are still not going to want these guys for a full season even at a discount. This isn't a video game.

1 minute ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Overpaying average goalies is still bad regardless of Howard

This is what I'm trying to say. But it seems that the "not my goalie" crowd thinks that even a corpse is a better option. I'm not opposed to bringing in a new goalie, but overpaying for the sake of avoiding Howard is counter intuitive.

9 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You realize that you can only retain salary on a max of 2? players, right? This idea that you can just acquire all of these players and just trade them away to other teams at half the price is nonsense. Not to mention, other teams are still not going to want these guys for a full season even at a discount. This isn't a video game.

I believe its 3 ... and no ones saying to go acquire 8 players and eat all their salaries but we can certainly trade for a player or two and retain half the salary and flip them if the player isnt a complete waste 

Sure , neomaxizoomdweebie knows for a fact that nhl gm’s wouldnt take a derek stepan at 3 mill rather than 6 etc... 

58 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

So Stevie confirmed that Errorson and Daley are not returning. Anybody heard anything on Erne or Perlini?

I doubt he’ll admit he failed on both , if i had to bet money it would be on erne returning since he had him on tampa and perlini will run along

21 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Overpaying average goalies is still bad regardless of Howard

Sure, but that's what free agency is... Besides, I wouldn't say $6M over 4 years would be a big overpayment for Marstrom, and AGAIN, there are a few cheaper options that I'd prefer.

5 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Toews is a young 30 pointish Dman for the Islanders.
I believe Graves is Makar's D partner.
Both are young Dman who are gonna cash in their first big contracts really.

Sure they gonna get raises but this projection gotta be too high. They are 25 and 26 years old and both have played about a hundred NHL games. 

Tsn radio talking about the eichel rangers rumors and what theyd have to give up and mentioned how theyd have to get rid of henrik’s 8mill cap hit somehow

So how do we get blackmail material so we can get henrik to waive his ntc to come to detroit and force the rangers to give us their second 1st and matthew robertson

56 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Mantha for 5.5 and Bertuzzi for 4 would be nice though

If Mantha comes in under $6M, long-term, it will be a fantastic contract. Bertuzzi at around $4-4.5M is around where I would have pegged him.

27 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Good depth signing. Probably a career AHLer at this point, but a good pro for the young Griffins to learn from. 

2 hours ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Plus Howard was better than Markstrom at the same age

He was. That's why we should sign Markstrom to an even bigger contract.

Apparently a goaltender who cant even keep a starting job is worth more than a 30 goal scorer in Mantha.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

48 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Nah man. Not Taylor Hall. So what you meant to say is Yzerman's an idiot. Great job idiot! 

Right. Yzerman sux...

17 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He was. That's why we should sign Markstrom to an even bigger contract.

Howard signed a 6 year contract at the age of 30 (same age as Markstrom now) at $5.3M per. At the time, the salary cap was $64.3M, meaning he took up 8.2% of the cap.

Markstrom is rumored to be looking to sign a contract worth $6M per. The salary cap is currently at $81.5M, meaning he would take up 7.4% of the cap (significantly less than Howard).

I would say Howard was well worth his contract, up until the last year or so, when the wheels fell off. I'd be all for signing Markstrom to a $6M contract for 4 years. If that's an "overpayment", Howard must have been overpaid (even more so) as well, which I'd also disagree with...

8 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Did krug’s rights get dealt to florida? I heard something about it just now on the radio but missed if it was comfirmed ...i suspected it would be florida cause theyre probably desperate and krug wants his money and wont pay as much taxes there

hope its true

don't see anything anywhere....

I am really hoping we get Krug...Sometimes you have to make moves like that to show your team that you are trying to win more, plus build. It also does well for player morale. Who wants to come in to the season knowing you aren't going to have any more of a chance to win more games? Krug to Detroit, give him 8x8.

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I am really hoping we get Krug...Sometimes you have to make moves like that to show your team that you are trying to win more, plus build. It also does well for player morale. Who wants to come in to the season knowing you aren't going to have any more of a chance to win more games? Krug to Detroit, give him 8x8.

Effin right!! That's the attitude! 

41 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I hear where you're coming from, but I don't think Krug should be that player, and certainly not at $8M x 8 years...

58 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Way too much money. 7x6.5 or 8x6. Front load the s*** out of it with bonuses. That way when he is 35 and declining his contract is ripe for a poor team needing a veteran to reach the cap floor with little money owed. 

Edited by marcaractac

3 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Did krug’s rights get dealt to florida? I heard something about it just now on the radio but missed if it was comfirmed ...i suspected it would be florida cause theyre probably desperate and krug wants his money and wont pay as much taxes there

hope its true

No his rights still haven't moved.