• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This would be such a terrible move. I don't see it happening.

Me neither. 

But it's a decent cap hit for a 45-55 point proven center. A legit 2C. Mind you, for two years too long. 

Not a big fan of his, but with him you could roll

Bert Larkin Mantha

Zadina Johnson Ryan

Fabbri Fipulla/Gagner Timoshev

Helm Glendenning Erne 

--------

Not terrible. 

12 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Me neither. 

But it's a decent cap hit for a 45-55 point proven center. A legit 2C. Mind you, for two years too long. 

I think the cap hit is a shade too high, but yeah, the term is definitely a couple years too long. Let him go through waivers, assuming no other team picks him up (they won't), wait for the buyout, and sign him for 2 years at $4M AAV. I'm not sure if he'd be a 45-55 point 2C here, but he would definitely be an upgrade over Filppula, and allow Fabbri to stay on the wing, where he should be.

Johnson wouldn't be my first choice, but I guess he's as viable a option as anyone right now...

Wouldn't hate seeing Tyler Johnson in a wings jersey. He's definitely an upgrade at center to everyone not named Larkin, skates hard every shift it seems. Always seemed to have our number back when we used to make the playoffs... 

The contract isn't ideal, but we've endured worse. 

Would prefer to wait and see if he's bought out, but wouldn't be upset if we claimed him.

The Krug deal once again shows that UFAs never ever sign for near as much as folks predict ahead of time. It's true every off season and especially true now. 

He was out to lunch if he thought he'd get 7+.

Edited by marcaractac

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

The Krug deal once again shows that UFAs never ever sign for near as much as folks predict ahead of time. It's true every off season and especially true now. 

I think a part of it is negotiation. I think their camps put out a number like that, assuming that someone will offer them say 80% of what they put out there. If they put out 6, maybe they just get offered 5. Its all a game on both sides.

Edited by kliq

3 hours ago, amato said:

Wouldn't hate seeing Tyler Johnson in a wings jersey. He's definitely an upgrade at center to everyone not named Larkin, skates hard every shift it seems. Always seemed to have our number back when we used to make the playoffs... 

The contract isn't ideal, but we've endured worse. 

Would prefer to wait and see if he's bought out, but wouldn't be upset if we claimed him.

Initially I thought the same thing, but then I saw he has 4 years and 20mil left on his contract.  Plus he's 30, not old by any stretch, but in a couple years when we are hopefully good, I could see that contract coming back to haunt us. Now if TB traded him to us for a 7th and at 1.5mil, then I'd be open to it.

6 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Still an overpayment in my opinion, but that's par for course for just about any big name UFA signing. They're going to be paying for what Krug did in Boston, not what he will do in St. Louis. I can see Krug maybe living up to that $6.5M for another couple seasons, but I don't see that contract aging well. I don't think it was a good signing for the Blues, but it would have been an awful signing for the Wings. I'm glad Yzerman didn't pull the trigger. Not that I think Krug had much interest in going to Detroit anyway...

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Still an overpayment in my opinion, but that's par for course for just about any big name UFA signing. They're going to be paying for what Krug did in Boston, not what he will do in St. Louis. I can see Krug maybe living up to that $6.5M for another couple seasons, but I don't see that contract aging well. I don't think it was a good signing for the Blues, but it would have been an awful signing for the Wings. I'm glad Yzerman didn't pull the trigger. Not that I think Krug had much interest in going to Detroit anyway...

Blues GM Armstrong seemed pretty desperate to replace Petro, but yeah - in about 4 years from now when their Cup window has closed it’ll be one of those contacts you wish you hadn’t done.

3 hours ago, kliq said:

Initially I thought the same thing, but then I saw he has 4 years and 20mil left on his contract.  Plus he's 30, not old by any stretch, but in a couple years when we are hopefully good, I could see that contract coming back to haunt us. Now if TB traded him to us for a 7th and at 1.5mil, then I'd be open to it.

I agree. Or even if Tampa were willing to trade him along with another asset, I'd consider it. To pick Johnson up off waivers and eat that entire $20M, helping a divisional rival get out of cap hell, would be an awful move by Yzerman.

Johnson has been in steady decline, and it's only going to get worse over the next few years. Also, factor in the fact that he was putting up decent numbers on one of the best teams in the league, coming to one of the worst teams in the league, I think he'd be lucky to put up 35-40 points.

If we're in the market for a middle six center, I'd rather give Galchenyuk and short-term prove it deal. He's still just 26, would likely come cheaper, and has the potential to be as good or better than Johnson.

Edited by krsmith17

9 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Blues GM Armstrong seemed pretty desperate to replace Petro, but yeah - in about 4 years from now when their Cup window has closed it’ll be one of those contacts you wish you hadn’t done.

I agree. However, what confuses the s*** out of me, is why they couldn't come up with an extra $2M to give to their captain, and arguably best player... Pietroangelo is a much better all around defenseman, only a year older, and will probably age better. Really dumb move by Armstrong in my opinion.

Edited by krsmith17

13 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree. However, what confuses the s*** out of me, is why they couldn't come up with an extra $2M to give to their captain, and arguably best player... Pietroangelo is a much better all around defenseman, only a year older, and will probably age better. Really dumb move by Armstrong in my opinion.

I’m guessing Petro’s demands over the past several months of negotiations were excessive, and/or maybe the 2 sides had a falling out, and it was a mutual feeling that both sides move on.

We’ll see within a few days if they made the right decision.

Edited by F.Michael

20 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Probably about other clauses. Betting that Pietro is asking for full NMC.

Krug got a NTC(modified in the last two years).

Then there is also the part on how the payment is structured. Could have been disagreements there too.

31 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I’m guessing Petro’s demands over the past several months of negotiations were excessive, and/or maybe the 2 sides had a falling out, and it was a mutual feeling that both sides move on.

We’ll see within a few days if they made the right decision.

23 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Probably about other clauses. Betting that Pietro is asking for full NMC.

Krug got a NTC(modified in the last two years).

Then there is also the part on how the payment is structured. Could have been disagreements there too.

Yeah, I guess it's hard to know what goes on behind the scenes, but I still think Pietrangelo at around $8.5M with a full NMC, would have been a better move, than Krug at $6.5M with a M-NTC. I'm not saying Pietrangelo is to St. Louis what Lidstrom was to Detroit, but I can't imagine how I would have felt if Holland let Lidstrom walk in free agency over a NMC vs M-NTC. Give your captain and best player, that you drafted and developed the f***ing NTC. He was a key cog in you winning the Stanley Cup last year, and could be again in the next few years.

Anyway, it is what it is. I hope Pietrangelo goes somewhere else (Vegas) and wins another Cup in the next few years.

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I guess it's hard to know what goes on behind the scenes, but I still think Pietrangelo at around $8.5M with a full NMC, would have been a better move, than Krug at $6.5M with a M-NTC. I'm not saying Pietrangelo is to St. Louis what Lidstrom was to Detroit, but I can't imagine how I would have felt if Holland let Lidstrom walk in free agency over a NMC vs M-NTC. Give your captain and best player, that you drafted and developed the f***ing NTC. He was a key cog in you winning the Stanley Cup last year, and could be again in the next few years.

Anyway, it is what it is. I hope Pietrangelo goes somewhere else (Vegas) and wins another Cup in the next few years.

Agree, Pietrangelo is that much better.

From the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/2128233/2020/10/09/red-wings-sign-bobby-ryan-and-jon-merrill-how-they-help-and-what-could-be-next/

Ryan:

Importantly, Ryan also made it known that one factor of his decision to join the rebuilding Red Wings was the knowledge the team wasn’t content with where it sits in the NHL landscape.

“Dylan was probably one of the biggest conversations I had,” Ryan said, “where he mentioned, ‘Listen, you can come in and we can be a much more competitive team than we were last year. You’ll help, we’re a year older, we’ve dealt through a little more, there’s going to be some other players coming in.’ They have a good feeling that they’re going to be a much more competitive team. That’s all I needed to hear.

“I did ask, I said, ‘Listen, are you guys bogged down by the losing? Like, has it gotten to you in the sense that you’re just accepting it?’ Because that would have been a big red flag for me. And one thing that was told to me was ‘the coach would have been fired if we thought that we all accepted that.’ So you understand that this is not a group of guys that wants to lose, that is OK with it, and they’re not going to lose for long. And I hope I can help facilitate them into that next stage.”

Yzerman:

The Red Wings also likely aren’t done. One of the many benefits to these signings is that they preserved a significant amount of the Red Wings’ cap space, leaving all kinds of flexibility for other moves.

The team still needs to find another goaltender in free agency, with Thomas Greiss, Corey Crawford, Craig Anderson and Aaron Dell among the most prominent remaining names. Adding another forward and defenseman seem plausible as well, based on Yzerman’s comments before the opening of free agency.

And, of course, there’s the potential to take on a contract via trade, in order to pick up another draft pick or prospect from a team hurting for cap space.

However, it doesn’t sound like that was a major part of free agency’s opening day for Yzerman.

“Mostly today I spent talking to agents and players you’re trying to sign,” he said, “so I would probably say a lot of that is on hold for the time being. Teams are trying to get free agents signed and then circle back, probably, if need be after the fact.”

Detroit still has three restricted free agents to sign in Anthony Mantha, Tyler Bertuzzi and Dmytro Timashov, but after opening free agency with a pair of shrewd signings, the Red Wings still have room to do just about anything they want.

Just now, Akakabuto said:

Detroit still has three restricted free agents to sign in Anthony Mantha, Tyler Bertuzzi and Dmytro Timashov, but after opening free agency with a pair of shrewd signings, the Red Wings still have room to do just about anything they want.

That's what I'm most happy with after the first day. After signing our RFA's we should have about 15 million left.

41 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Not if the quality UFAs are gone and no one will trade with him. 

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Not if the quality UFAs are gone and no one will trade with him. 

Yzerman got two quality UFA's *for what he was looking for*. Yzerman is smart. He knows this team shouldn't be investing big money to aging veterans on long term contracts.

12 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yzerman is more patient than me apparently

Thankfully, a lot more patient than a lot of trigger happy Wings fans...

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yzerman got two quality UFA's *for what he was looking for*. Yzerman is smart. He knows this team shouldn't be investing big money to aging veterans on long term contracts.

Thankfully, a lot more patient than a lot of trigger happy Wings fans...

We

Need

Goalie 

6 hours ago, kliq said:

typo? least it could be is 2.5... but yeah i agree. Would definitely prefer that or we sign him after a buyout. But I wouldn't hate if we claimed him. I don't expect us to, but I think I could live with it. I do agree with your general sentiment though, there are definitely preferred routes of getting him on the wings.