• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, F.Micheal said:

Illitch Holdings owns hundreds of vacant or undeveloped lots around the city. Promised the city they would develop them years ago (I believe in exchange for favorable arrangements for their arenas). Of course they never did anything with those lots. They sit their doing nothing to this day. Unkept promises. Dishonest business practices.

They don't give a rats behind about Detroit or Detroiters.

Why would this bother someone from Wisconsin?

The Athletic interviewed some (anonymous) exec's around the league about each teams offseason so far:

Execs Unfiltered: Thoughts on Hall, trades and every NHL team’s offseason so far

Here what they had to say about Detroit:

Detroit Red Wings

The work turned in by GM Steve Yzerman and his staff was praised across the board.

“I like Detroit’s signings but they’re not going to amount to Detroit winning the Stanley Cup,” said one. “I think those guys are good value for those price tags.”

Yzerman spent some time in the bargain bin and turned up very reasonable deals for Bobby Ryan, Vladislav Namestnikov and Troy Stecher. He paid a bit of a premium in a competitive goalie market for Thomas Greiss (two years at $3.6 million per) but the Red Wings should be much more competitive because of it.

“To be honest, the Red Wings have done a good job,” said another executive. “They’ll be somewhat competitive. They brought in character and leadership. Stevie Y does a great job.”

“Detroit had a good offseason,” said a Western Conference exec. “Namestnikov for $2 million. Bobby Ryan for $1 million. It fits exactly what they’re doing. They’re not going long term with anybody. They’ve got some good, cheap players who will improve their team right away. They’ve got a couple more D. They got more assets for the deadline. They’re movable contracts.”

Multiple execs brought up the character element. All the players signed seem to be oozing in character.

“Stevie is very deliberate who he puts around his team,” said one. “If a player is not a culture guy or does not serve a specific purpose, they get shipped out pretty quick. I like Namestnikov. Bobby Ryan is fine. I like Stecher. I like Greiss. Those guys are pretty good.”

Edited by Akakabuto

What those executives said seems to be in line with what most of us on this board thinks.

Would we have wanted to add more assets for the future? Sure, but those kind of deals haven't happened yet so we are not missing out so far. The offseason is far from over I think and the rest of the league know by now that Detroit is open for business.

The only deal I m a y b e would have wanted Detroit to be the ones to make is the 5th for Ryan Murray by NJD.

Edited by Akakabuto

38 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

What those executives said seems to be in line with what most of us on this board thinks.

... most of us.

38 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

The only deal I m a y b e would have wanted Detroit to be the ones to make is the 5th for Ryan Murray by NJD.

The only deal I wanted Yzerman in on, that he wasn't, was Turris at $1.65M for 2 years. He did go out and get Namestnikov shortly after, at $2M for 2 years, so I'm good with it.

3 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

>Cheap deals
>Character

Character is sucha cop out. Seemingly every player has great character these days unless your Evander Kane or something. Namestnikov is sucha great character player that Yzerman traded him away once already. Bobby Ryan is such a character asset that he was in rehab less than 9 months ago. Merrill and Stecher... never heard of em until a week ago, but apparently they're league wide known character guys...

The meat and potatoes of this is Yzerman signed cheap players to cheap deals. Which is fine. That's what we needed. But it's just about as impressive as a chef cooking kraft dinner. It's cheap if your short on change sure... but I ain't gonna give that 5 star yelp review for kraft mac n cheese...

What the f*** does being in rehab have to do with a person's character? 

1 minute ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Alcoholism and addiction is not what I would define as a positive character trait

That's because you're an ignorant f***...

It's a disease. Bobby Ryan being an alcoholic, and then having the will power to not only get the help needed to kick the habit, but get clean, takes more "character" than you'll ever have.

7 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

I gave him a C+. Acceptable but nothing impressive or outstanding.

Sounds fair. If Ryan and and Namestnikov proves to be hits he gets a B from me.

If he swings a trade that gets us top prospect and/or a high pick he could get an A.

15 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Whoa guy. Defensive of your drinking habit much? You say it in your own words. It's a "habit".

Glug glug glug I'm so sick, glug glug glug, why can't I stop? Glug glug glug. Poor character.

This right here goes to show what a piece of s*** human being you are.

1 hour ago, CatBoyRossi said:

>Cheap deals
>Character

Character is sucha cop out. Seemingly every player has great character these days unless your Evander Kane or something. Namestnikov is sucha great character player that Yzerman traded him away once already. Bobby Ryan is such a character asset that he was in rehab less than 9 months ago. Merrill and Stecher... never heard of em until a week ago, but apparently they're league wide known character guys...

The meat and potatoes of this is Yzerman signed cheap players to cheap deals. Which is fine. That's what we needed. But it's just about as impressive as a chef cooking kraft dinner. It's cheap if your short on change sure... but I ain't gonna give that 5 star yelp review for kraft mac n cheese...

obviously you didn't add bacon to that mac n cheese otherwise you would have yelping like crazy

10 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

If the new guys turn this team around I will change my assessment to lobster mac n cheese. Or bacon + jalapeno if that suits your southern pallet.

What percent of upgrade in points/games won would equal a 5 start yelp for lobster mac n cheese?

5/10/25/50/75/100?

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

If the indeed buyout or waive Nielsen, I would like to see Galchenyuk as his replacement. Only 26 years old. Could be a nice bounce back playing with Names and Svech. Why not? He would be a cheaper, better option.

If Nielsen is bought out (he won't be) there wouldn't be any reason to bring in another forward. He could easily be replaced in house with Erne, Hirose, Smith, etc.

2 hours ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Alcoholism and addiction is not what I would define as a positive character trait

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

That's because you're an ignorant f***...

It's a disease. Bobby Ryan being an alcoholic, and then having the will power to not only get the help needed to kick the habit, but get clean, takes more "character" than you'll ever have.

Why cant it be both? We all have free will. Succumbing to addiction could be seen as a lack of self control, a bad character trait. Admitting one's faults and seeking help shows humility and responsibility, both positive character traits.

In the end, who cares?

1 hour ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Lack of discipline, lack of self control, lack of self respect, selfishly and habitually engaging in behavior that not only hurts yourself, but your family, your work, and your team as well. IDK how many alcoholics or drug addicts you've ever known, but in my experience 100% of them quickly become liars and deceivers as well.

I admit, checking himself into the player rehab thing took some humility and shows hes at least willing to take responsibility for his past and try to be better. But that's the very first step on a long road. There's a reason he's on a 1x1 prove it contract. He has a lot of reputation that still needs repair. And unfortunately for every Robin Lehner out there there are 10 Bob Proberts.

I'll call Bobby Ryan a "character guy" when he does something worthy of that title. Behaving like a major screw up, then saying "oops shouldn't have done that" isn't exactly there yet IMO. 

A player who becomes a success in the NHL, ends up in a bad place,  and then perseveres and overcomes his " demons" is worthy of more respect and opportunity then a player who never achieves his full potential at all.

Judging a man by what he was, instead of who he is, is an impossible standard, because it leaves no hope for redemption.

5 hours ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Nobody forced Bobby Ryan to pick up a bottle and drink himself stupid everyday. He actively made that choice. It's poor character pure and simple. He can blame it on sadness or whatever he wants, but folks with good character don't immediately climb into a bottle every time their sad. That's weakness and poor decision making. Oh boo hoo I'm Bobby Ryan woe is me my NHL dreams came true and I'm a multi millionaire. Pretending Ryan is some great character guy because he drinks too much is just asinine. If he can revitalize his career and be a Lehner maybe then we can talk about it. Till then he's a former good NHL player who ruined his career to the point he got let go from the Ottawa Senators and had to sign a prove it contract with an equally bad team.

You're a literal piece of s***. I'm not an alcoholic (I barely drink), but I know plenty of people that are / were, and to hear you say that those people "lack character" is f***ing disgusting. Alcohol / drug addiction is an illness, not a choice. Go tell Ken Daniels that his son "lacked character"...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You're a literal piece of s***. I'm not an alcoholic (I barely drink), but I know plenty of people that are / were, and to hear you say that those people "lack character" is f***ing disgusting. Alcohol / drug addiction is an illness, not a choice. Go tell Ken Daniels that his son "lacked character"...

We need to stop feeding the troll. He's a lonely dude, that much is fairly obvious. It would be nice to have hockey conversations on this site without one person dragging it all down into the mud. Having worked with all types of folks working through trauma, mental illness, behavioral health issues, it's evident he has no clue what he's talking about (as is usually the case). 

36 minutes ago, F.Micheal said:

Ken Daniels son lacked character. That's why he chose to push heroin up his veins.

Bobby Ryan woke up everyday, drove himself down to the liquor store, pulled out his black amex, bagged his booze, drove home, opened it up, made a drink, and didn't stop till the bottle was gone. None of those things were his choice though...

TIL trauma, mental illness, and behavioral health issues = strong character

I'm trying to talk hockey. @krsmith17 is the only one flipping out cause his daddy was an alchy or something.

This is a crap response, man. You're just adding on to the nonsense that a certain troll in here started. You want to talk hockey, yet we need to read your "hot take" on what your think is going on with someone vehemently disagreeing with someone who clearly doesn't understand the content they're trying to troll others on. You don't either, given your ignorant response. Instead of trying to steer the conversation back, you just fanned the flames. Bravo. You and the troll have shown pretty bad character here.

39 minutes ago, F.Micheal said:

Explain to me again how alcoholics have strong character. It's an amusing take.

The story is as old time.  All alcoholics or people with substance abuse problems cant be lumped together as having the same situation either.  A ton of athletes whether its hockey, basketball, football, soccer, tennis, wrestling , boxing struggle with substance abuse.  The toll these sports take on not only your body by pushing it passed its limits day in and day out, but the mind as well is the worse part.  Being on the road all the time, away from family for extended periods of time would be a different kind of lonely.  Its no mystery why falling to substances happen in these cases. 

The amount of people the struggle and deal with it without getting any help, without anyone even knowing they are struggling to me personally have character too.  They show up for work every day, some even maintain an extremely positive outlook about everything too, then when work is over they suffer in silence, alone.  

Bobby Ryan woke one day and wanted to change himself for the better, good on him.  To me it shows character for him to not only make the decision but see it through.  

1 hour ago, F.Micheal said:

Attacking the messenger. A very basic fallacy. Doesn't change the argument. Bobby Ryan is a self destructive addict. Until he can stay clean for a season and reverse his fortunes that's the man he's become. Hope he proves me wrong on his prove it contract.

Oh but I'm not trying to construct an argument here. 

Just pointing out that yer being a dink (edit: but probably not for much longer)

Edited by The 91 of Ryans