• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, 13dangledangle said:

The story is as old time.  All alcoholics or people with substance abuse problems cant be lumped together as having the same situation either.  A ton of athletes whether its hockey, basketball, football, soccer, tennis, wrestling , boxing struggle with substance abuse.  The toll these sports take on not only your body by pushing it passed its limits day in and day out, but the mind as well is the worse part.  Being on the road all the time, away from family for extended periods of time would be a different kind of lonely.  Its no mystery why falling to substances happen in these cases. 

The amount of people the struggle and deal with it without getting any help, without anyone even knowing they are struggling to me personally have character too.  They show up for work every day, some even maintain an extremely positive outlook about everything too, then when work is over they suffer in silence, alone.  

Bobby Ryan woke one day and wanted to change himself for the better, good on him.  To me it shows character for him to not only make the decision but see it through.  

Very well stated. I have family who have struggled with alcoholism and maintained respectable careers, had loving families, were great parents and grandparents, and eventually were able to seek help with what they were struggling with. It's easy for some to throw shade on something they themselves have zero clue about. That shows pretty poor character, especially when they double down on it.

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

This has been a great thread, and it's lasted a long time. The off-season is still among us and there is still tons to talk about, so please, let's not get this thread locked of deleted.

I'm with you, which was the point of my first response, to say let's keep things on the topic of hockey and not start this nonsense of, obviously, fanning the flames.

Marleau apparently wants Thornton to join him in San Jose. Interesting but I can't imagine SJ committing to both of them if they want to win. Thornton has taken a huge step down. 

Also, crazy to see Hoffman and Granlund still waiting for contracts. I'm sure there are others, too.

1 minute ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Marleau apparently wants Thornton to join him in San Jose. Interesting but I can't imagine SJ committing to both of them if they want to win. Thornton has taken a huge step down. 

Also, crazy to see Hoffman and Granlund still waiting for contracts. I'm sure there are others, too.

Thorton's about to play with HC Davos

https://www.tsn.ca/joe-thornton-to-join-hc-davos-1.1539159

6 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

You're just adding on to the nonsense that a certain troll in here started. Bravo. You and the troll have shown pretty bad character here.

Lol. They're both CRL sock accounts.

4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

As a depth player, I would think an NHL team would still be interested in Thornton. A 1 year, low dollar contract would be worth it.

On 10/15/2020 at 5:44 PM, The 91 of Ryans said:

yes, but only to prepare for another season in the NHL. His has got a swiss wife and is getting into shape, read the article yesterday, will post it once it´s found

found it

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/big-joe-thornton-kehrt-zurueck-auf-schweizer-eis-738332918744

Should we be targetting some young dmen that will likely be available due to the seattle expansion draft? Or just wait it out and see how this season plays out?im guessing most will wait til closer to the deadline but might be best to make a move early 

have to guess vince dunn is currently available if we made them a decent offer (faulk,krug,parakyko)  1.6 over the cap with dunn left to resign

Avs - graves(likely will hang on to him on a cup run) .. makar,girard,toews and erik johnson has a nmc so im guessng theyll beg him to waive it

Preds - fabbro (josi,ekman,suter will be protected)

canes - pesce,hamilton(if resigned),slavin,skjei ... bean might become available

Dunn and bean intrigue me the most but i suspect canes will play him this year first and see how he is and if he can somewhat replace hamilton for cheaper ... i think dunn might be available and worth a look depending the price

26 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Thornton just signed with Leafs. They sent "on paper" Engvall and Liljegren down to make room. Soooooooo worth it! :lol: But hey, it's a business!

Still don't get how they are going to make this work. They got 1.6 million left and have RFA's Mikheyev and Dermott still to sign.

Mikheyev scored 23 points in 39 games last year.

Edited by Akakabuto

12 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Here are the teams that seem are going to be in dire need to dump some salary.

Capture.thumb.JPG.1e7579acfaa43b1163873cc4811a1727.JPG

Capture1.thumb.JPG.8f3987bf02b15f81bcacf14de1177beb.JPG

What are these teams giving up?

My bet is that these teams will wait to see when the next season starts so they know how long they have before they need to make tough decisions. I would also bet that many of them won't do anything before camp. Players could get injured and bail them out of giving up assets.

Edited by Akakabuto

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

Still don't get how they are going to make this work. They got 1.6 million left and have RFA's Mikheyev and Dermott still to sign.

If you go up to 1.4 offer sheet there’s zero compensation.... almost tempted to do it just to piss off dubas lmao

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

If you go up to 1.4 offer sheet there’s zero compensation.... almost tempted to do it just to piss off dubas lmao

That's what Yzerman should do. Go to these teams that refuse to pony up a 1st or top prospect in order to get some cap relief, then offer sheet one of their RFA's to the point where the team cannot afford to match (of course not having to give up too much in compensation) and force their hand(s.)

Not that there are too many available from those top cap teams, but screwing Toronto over would be nice. What is the compensation this year? Sure would like to handcuff Tampa and offer sheet Sergachev, but they have $2.8M in cap space, we'd have to go above $3M for sure. Winnipeg better give me that 1st or I am offer sheeting Roslovic $1.5M as well!

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Sure would like to handcuff Tampa and offer sheet Sergachev

I'd still love to see this happen...

23 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

but they have $2.8M in cap space, we'd have to go above $3M for sure.

We'd have to go waaay above $3M on a Sergachev offer sheet. For one, Sergachev would never accept a lowball offer like that, and even if he did, Tampa would easily match it. I think anything below a significant overpay, Tampa would match, and worry about working around the cap afterward. I think you'd have to offer sheet him at a minimum of $6M, and even then, it probably doesn't get it done. But it sure as hell puts Tampa in a tough spot. Would Yzerman want to do that to his old buddy BriseBois though? Probably not...

9 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

I think they have a bit more as they can still send down Robertson & Sandin. If they do that, then they are looking at around 3.2mil in space. Still tight though. They are probably banking on a injury, and based on probability, they will probably get one.

29 minutes ago, kliq said:

I think they have a bit more as they can still send down Robertson & Sandin. If they do that, then they are looking at around 3.2mil in space. Still tight though. They are probably banking on a injury, and based on probability, they will probably get one.

And roll with a 21 man roster?

14 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Some speculation on twitter that they may look to trade Dermott. I’d give him a long look if I’m Yzerman. Always liked his potential, and he’s only 23. Fits our timeline.

7 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

And roll with a 21 man roster?

You don’t have to have a 21 man roster.

I’ve seen teams over the years start the season with a 19 or 20 man roster. My guess is that this is what they will do, or they are banking on an injury.

10 minutes ago, kliq said:

You don’t have to have a 21 man roster.

I’ve seen teams over the years start the season with a 19 or 20 man roster. My guess is that this is what they will do, or they are banking on an injury.

Usually teams go with a 23 man roster. 12 F+7 D/13 F+6 D with two goalies and two scratches. 

I guess you can be 2 guys short but thats not optimal and would complicate things with minor injuries especially when traveling. 

Just now, Akakabuto said:

Usually teams go with a 23 man roster. 12 F+7 D/13 F+6 D with two goalies and two scratches. 

I guess you can be 2 guys short but thats not optimal and would complicate things with minor injuries especially when traveling. 

Oh I didn’t say it was smart lol.

I really do think they are banking on an injury, or of course there could be a move in the works. Like Kip said above, I could see a Dermott trade.

34 minutes ago, kliq said:

Oh I didn’t say it was smart lol.

I really do think they are banking on an injury, or of course there could be a move in the works. Like Kip said above, I could see a Dermott trade.

I agree with Kip, Dermott could be a good target. But for the Leafs a trade would make their defense just as bad as last year. 

Looked over at the Leafs board at HF and they seem just as confused over Dubas plan as I am.