• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

19 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Hell, go up to 2.1 for Mikheyev. Costs only a third rounder. 

Id like to keep the third , hes 26 dont think hes that great id just do it to f*** with dubas’s  head lol dont think hed be here long

17 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

That's what Yzerman should do. Go to these teams that refuse to pony up a 1st or top prospect in order to get some cap relief, then offer sheet one of their RFA's to the point where the team cannot afford to match (of course not having to give up too much in compensation) and force their hand(s.)

Not that there are too many available from those top cap teams, but screwing Toronto over would be nice. What is the compensation this year? Sure would like to handcuff Tampa and offer sheet Sergachev, but they have $2.8M in cap space, we'd have to go above $3M for sure. Winnipeg better give me that 1st or I am offer sheeting Roslovic $1.5M as well!

Would cost way more than those numbers for sergachev or roslovic to land them

2 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

I agree with Kip, Dermott could be a good target. But for the Leafs a trade would make their defense just as bad as last year. 

Looked over at the Leafs board at HF and they seem just as confused over Dubas plan as I am.

Rather target vince dunn , dont see anything more for dermott than a bottom paid d ... think dermott will likely be gone

#2 redwings ... dont think itll happen cause the price would be astronomical but hes at the right age (22) to target ... maybe if yzerman gets a 1st+ for taking on a bad contract and he uses those assets etc... but id suspect hed have to be locked in longterm and in the 7.5-9 range per

again doubt it happens

38 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

#2 redwings ... dont think itll happen cause the price would be astronomical but hes at the right age (22) to target ... maybe if yzerman gets a 1st+ for taking on a bad contract and he uses those assets etc... but id suspect hed have to be locked in longterm and in the 7.5-9 range per

again doubt it happens

Yeah, would be a great add, but I don't see how we can pull off a trade involving Laine without including two + major pieces. I'd assume Seider would have to be included and that would be a nonstarter for me.

22 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

That's what Yzerman should do. Go to these teams that refuse to pony up a 1st or top prospect in order to get some cap relief, then offer sheet one of their RFA's to the point where the team cannot afford to match (of course not having to give up too much in compensation) and force their hand(s.)

Not that there are too many available from those top cap teams, but screwing Toronto over would be nice. What is the compensation this year? Sure would like to handcuff Tampa and offer sheet Sergachev, but they have $2.8M in cap space, we'd have to go above $3M for sure. Winnipeg better give me that 1st or I am offer sheeting Roslovic $1.5M as well!

Except then we have to give up picks as compensation. I think the idea is for SY to acquire players with assets attached. Not give up assets for players.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Except then we have to give up picks as compensation. I think the idea is for SY to acquire players with assets attached. Not give up assets for players.

Rebuilding or not, any GM would give up picks if they knew they could get a premier player in his prime.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, would be a great add, but I don't see how we can pull off a trade involving Laine without including two + major pieces. I'd assume Seider would have to be included and that would be a nonstarter for me.

I guess you need to assess who would be the bigger impact player... I would be tempted to deal Seider if it meant getting Laine. Tempted doesn't mean I'd pull that trigger, though.

10 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

again doubt it happens

Winnipeg...The franchise where players are under the microscope (Laine, and Byfuglien), or they simply want outta town (Trouba, and Myers).

Is there sumthin in the water up there, or is it really that undesirable to play/live there?

5 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I guess you need to assess who would be the bigger impact player... I would be tempted to deal Seider if it meant getting Laine. Tempted doesn't mean I'd pull that trigger, though.

offense wins games, defense championchips.

Never ever trade away #1 d-men unless it´s a serious overpayment

Edited by ely s

6 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Yeah, I think Seider will eventually become the bigger impact player, but that's no guarantee, and I know a lot of people would doubt that he ever gets to that level. Which is why I think it would cost Seider, plus to get Laine, and that I definitely wouldn't do. 

53 minutes ago, ely s said:

offense wins games, defense championchips.

Never ever trade away #1 d-men unless it´s a serious overpayment

This is an old cliche that doesn't always hold true. We've seen purely offensive teams that lack defense, win the Cup. We've seen top defensive teams get bounced in the first round. You need a bit of everything, a well balanced team, to go the distance and have a chance to win it all. Having a big, mobile, number one defenseman definitely helps, but so does a solid two-way, point per game, number one center, or a half a goal per game, top line winger.

Sure you need balance throughout your roster and all sorts of things to win it all, but since Lidström is gone, Detroit is f***ed. What you need first and foremost is a #1 defender to build a team around.

41 minutes ago, ely s said:

Sure you need balance throughout your roster and all sorts of things to win it all, but since Lidström is gone, Detroit is f***ed. 

I would say that losing Zetterberg and Datsyuk definitely contributed to f***ing this team as well. Lidstrom was a bigger loss, not because he was a number one defenseman, but because he was one of the best defenseman the league has ever seen. 

1 hour ago, ely s said:

What you need first and foremost is a #1 defender to build a team around.

This is debatable. A lot of teams build around and win Cups with that elite number one center as well.

Some would also debate whether or not Seider will be that true number one defenseman. He definitely has that potential, but maybe he tops out as a solid number 2 or 3. Then, what is more valuable? The number 2/3 defenseman, or the elite top 5 sniper in the league?

Again, I wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade either, but it is definitely interesting to think about...

21 minutes ago, WRusco said:

I don't see Seider moving. Everything I see on Seider makes me believe he will be a stud #1 D for many years.

I agree. There's no way Yzerman is trading Seider. 

Why would someone trade an 22 year old elite top 5 sniper? It can´t just be about money, because you would find a way to make it work.

Will St.Louis be as good without Pietrangelo? I dont think so.

And as Edmonton and Toronto show, firepower without a proper #1 d is only worth so much...

Why would someone trade an 22 year old elite top 5 sniper? 

They shouldn't...

Will St.Louis be as good without Pietrangelo? I dont think so.

Absolutely not. But, any time you lose an elite player to free agency, regardless of position, you're not going to be as good.

Would St. Louis be as good if they lost O'Reilly? No. Or Perron? No. 

1 hour ago, ely s said:

And as Edmonton and Toronto show, firepower without a proper #1 d is only worth so much...

Edmonton and Toronto lack defense for sure, but they have many other holes in their roster as well.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't build a team around an elite defensive core, I'm arguing that you can build at team around an elite offensive core. But ideally you build a team with a bit of everything. Think about Tampa, with an elite center (Point), winger (Kucherov), defenseman (Hedman), and goalie (Vasilevskiy)...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Edmonton and Toronto lack defense for sure, but they have many other holes in their roster as well.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't build a team around an elite defensive core, I'm arguing that you can build at team around an elite offensive core. But ideally you build a team with a bit of everything. Think about Tampa, with an elite center (Point), winger (Kucherov), defenseman (Hedman), and goalie (Vasilevskiy)...

I think it is that much tougher to do it without a premier defenseman, not impossible.If you only need 2-3 goals a game to win, that takes a lot of pressure of your forwards.

52 minutes ago, ely s said:

I think it is that much tougher to do it without a premier defenseman, not impossible.If you only need 2-3 goals a game to win, that takes a lot of pressure of your forwards.

Sure. I think it's just as tough to do it without a premier forward though. In most cases, you need both to win it all. If you know your offense can score 4-5 goals a game, that takes a lot of the pressure off your defense...

On 10/18/2020 at 7:08 AM, ely s said:

Sure you need balance throughout your roster and all sorts of things to win it all, but since Lidström is gone, Detroit is f***ed. What you need first and foremost is a #1 defender to build a team around.

Lidstrom was also one of the top 2 d-men of all time. You take that away from any roster and you are going to be f***ed. If you have a good D (ie. not elite D), I do think you can win if you are elite down the middle. See Pittsburgh as an example of that, wasn't Letang out when they won the cup a few years back?

Edited by kliq

Defense is the key of keys. It's a truism, not even worth debating.

However, I do feel like the past few seasons have shown that a "winning defense" can come in many different forms in today's NHL. Historically, I've been very pro-"You'd really, REALLY like to have a superstar 1D." While I'd still take having a superstar 1D over not having a superstar 1D, my eyes have been opened to how far a modern-day team can go with "the right mix," whatever that mix may be.

Find something that works for your team. Just make sure it involves a solid team commitment to taking care of business on the defensive side of the puck.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Defense is the key of keys. It's a truism, not even worth debating.

However, I do feel like the past few seasons have shown that a "winning defense" can come in many different forms in today's NHL. Historically, I've been very pro-"You'd really, REALLY like to have a superstar 1D." While I'd still take having a superstar 1D over not having a superstar 1D, my eyes have been opened to how far a modern-day team can go with "the right mix," whatever that mix may be.

Find something that works for your team. Just make sure it involves a solid team commitment to taking care of business on the defensive side of the puck.

I would like to add that it's also important in todays speedy hockey that you have a defense that consists of players that can play the puck. They don't all need to be "puck moving defensemen", just capable of sending the puck out of your own zone to the right adress. A good transition game is key today.