• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

greenrebellion

NHL Season officially suspended until further notice - March 12, 2020

Rate this topic

Im not sure this is a given. The NBA had to suspend the season since an entire team is in quarantine with Rudy Gobert having it. As long as there are no NHL players with it, I would imagine the next step would be to play in empty arena's.

55 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Yup...By 9am est tomorrow.

Did you read something saying that the announcement is to suspend the season vs no fans in the arena?

41 minutes ago, kliq said:

Im not sure this is a given. The NBA had to suspend the season since an entire team is in quarantine with Rudy Gobert having it. As long as there are no NHL players with it, I would imagine the next step would be to play in empty arena's.

Did you read something saying that the announcement is to suspend the season vs no fans in the arena?

No - just what I expect by the commish, the BoG, and NHLPA.

They'll face pressure to do so, or otherwise face the consequences.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

The Red Wings won't notice much difference at home.

2 hours ago, Spongewingredpants said:

No please don’t cancel. I want to see how the -122 goal differential ends up 

Yeah, it's getting pretty bad.  I was looking at that stat earlier in the year, but hadn't paid much attention recently.  They are firmly in last place by quite a margin, but that stat is even worse.  They are -122, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th worst teams are a combined -130.

1 hour ago, toby91_ca said:

Yeah, it's getting pretty bad.  I was looking at that stat earlier in the year, but hadn't paid much attention recently.  They are firmly in last place by quite a margin, but that stat is even worse.  They are -122, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th worst teams are a combined -130.

I have to admit I don’t pay attention to it that much but that number sticks out. I don’t remember a team with that number in a while 

2 minutes ago, derblaueClaus said:

DEL already ended their season and canceled their playoffs with no winner. If the NHL closes down I hope they do the same. Handing out the Cup without the playoffs would be strange.

The Swiss league is probably on the same path. I have tickets :-(

IMO- I can totally see a scenario where the NHL suspends the regular season and ends up having the playoffs in April (or later) with either the top 16 seeds as of the day of the suspension announcement, or condensed playoffs with less total teams/seeds to to shorten the playoffs.  Fans able to attend?...who knows.

if the NHL suspends the rest of the regular season, but returns for the normal start of playoffs, these would be the matchups. 

At least we'd get a couple good rivalry matchups.... 

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Bruins vs. Blue Jackets
Capitals vs. Hurricanes
Lightning vs. Maple Leafs
Flyers vs. Penguins

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Blues vs. Predators
Golden Knights vs. Jets
Avalanche vs. Stars
Oilers vs. Flames

7 minutes ago, amato said:

if the NHL suspends the rest of the regular season, but returns for the normal start of playoffs, these would be the matchups. 

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Bruins vs. Blue Jackets
Capitals vs. Hurricanes
Flyers vs. Penguins

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Blues vs. Predators
Golden Knights vs. Jets
Avalanche vs. Stars
Oilers vs. Flames

That Oilers vs.Flames matchup :w00t2:.

1 hour ago, Spongewingredpants said:

I have to admit I don’t pay attention to it that much but that number sticks out. I don’t remember a team with that number in a while 

I looked it up, the last time a team had a +/- this bad was 20 years ago (99-00 Thrashers)

25 minutes ago, amato said:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Bruins vs. Blue Jackets
Capitals vs. Hurricanes
Flyers vs. Penguins

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Blues vs. Predators
Golden Knights vs. Jets
Avalanche vs. Stars
Oilers vs. Flames

Significant challenge would be that they couldn't just take the standings as they stand today because some teams have played 68 games, some 71 (if I'm accurate).  

6 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Significant challenge would be that they couldn't just take the standings as they stand today because some teams have played 68 games, some 71 (if I'm accurate).  

Yeah agree.  However, in this situation and if they suspend and go off of current standings....A LOT of teams that don't make it in the playoffs or have what they feel are undeserved low seeds will have something to complain about.  Be it: we didn't get to play as many games as the other teams, we were just coming into the easier part of our schedule, headed into a long home stand, we were set to have top player(s) just returning from injury, etc.  Some teams will feel screwed by this for sure, no way around it.  What's the alternative though?  If you cancel the season entirely then you'll still have teams feeling as if "this was our year to win the Cup!" and they're getting screwed.  If you continue to play the season out then you're perceived as barbarians who'll be on cable news every night.  I don't see any real "wins wins" with this.