• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

greenrebellion

NHL Season officially suspended until further notice - March 12, 2020

Rate this topic

51 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

GMR said to use "point percentage", which takes into account number of games played...

I think the best thing to do would be when they're able to play games again (hopefully sooner than later), remove 10 games from the schedule and every team plays 72(ish).

this makes sense as a quick glance shows the most games played is 71 and those are the bottom feeders like us and Ottawa and Habs. So anywhere from 72 to 82 makes sense and keep the format the same. 

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

GMR said to use "point percentage", which takes into account number of games played...

I think the best thing to do would be when they're able to play games again (hopefully sooner than later), remove 10 games from the schedule and every team plays 72(ish).

Points percentage or not, it's still s***ty for teams who have games in hand. A small playoff for the wildcard spots make most sense. 

You go by points percentage, and you have teams LITERALLY IN A PLAYOFF SPOT not make the playoffs. Try telling them that's fair. 

Edited by marcaractac

Playoffs? Who knows if they'll even happen. It's been pretty quiet around here though during the quarantine, besides my neighbors baby. Seemed like it cried for days on end without stopping till last night. Don't know what got it to stop, but I could hear mom sobbing on the other side of the wall this morning. Smelled like she was cooking BBQ too, although all the meat in the grocery stores went sold out days ago so I have no idea where the extra food came from...

Love from Seattle.

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Points percentage or not, it's still s***ty for teams who have games in hand. A small playoff for the wildcard spots make most sense. 

You go by points percentage, and you have teams LITERALLY IN A PLAYOFF SPOT not make the playoffs. Try telling them that's fair. 

So it's s***ty for teams with games in hand, and it's s***ty for teams with points on the board, but more games played? So my solution was to get every team to the same number of games played. Just shorten the season by 6-10 games. 

Just now, krsmith17 said:

So it's s***ty for teams with games in hand, and it's s***ty for teams with points on the board, but more games played? So my solution was to get every team to the same number of games played. Just shorten the season by 6-10 games. 

Dude, the likely scenario has already been leaked. 24 teams still with a shot at making it. It's the quickest way to bring things down to 16 teams for the normal playoffs. 

These lockdowns are expected to last 8 weeks at least. No chance they finish the season, even if shortened. 

Generating a schedule to get all teams to 72 games opens up an entire can of worms not even worth getting into.

5 hours ago, derblaueClaus said:

Only if you don't consider, that there is a lot of money lost or won for the teams concerning this. If the NHL finds a financial solution for the teams that are on the bubble but out of a playoff spot no owner or GM would probably mind playing the usual format. Otherwise the league has to get creative.

Well, tough crap.  It's an unusual situation for sure, but why reward teams because they may have made a playoff push?  It's not like these teams were deliberately waiting to make a move, like in horse racing, in the last weeks of the season.  Those teams are in that position for a reason.  Their play this year hasn't been as consistently good as the teams that will get in.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

12 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Well, tough crap.  It's an unusual situation for sure, but why reward teams because they may have made a playoff push?  It's not like these teams were deliberately waiting to make a move, like in horse racing, in the last weeks of the season.  Those teams are in that position for a reason.  Their play this year hasn't been as consistently good as the teams that will get in.  

The issue with your suggestion is that teams already IN a playoff spot would be bumped out. That is a giant can of worms the league will not, and rightfully shouldn't touch. 

Day 57 since Corona reached Seattle

I haven't wiped my bottom in 53 days now. The stench is becoming unbearable. I can't sleep. I can't eat. My un-wiped ass is literally caked in fecal matter. When the teepee wars began no one could have guessed how quickly the supplies would run out. It's a toilet paper desert here now, and those who stocked up on butt paper are in no better condition than the rest of us. Just yesterday I watched a man get dragged from his home and beaten to death with empty cardboard toilet paper rolls. It took the mob hours to finish him off. Those who raided his supplies we're wiping themselves in a frenzy with entire rolls all at once, like savages who had never once learned to use a spool.

It's like the dark ages here. Total civil degradation and devolution of man. Kiss your children, hug your wives/husbands, and pray you do not suffer the same fate as the pacific NW.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I haven't wiped my bottom in 53 days now. The stench is becoming unbearable. I can't sleep. I can't eat. My un-wiped ass is literally caked in fecal matter. When the teepee wars began no one could have guessed how quickly the supplies would run out. It's a toilet paper desert here now, and those who stocked up on butt paper are in no better condition than the rest of us. Just yesterday I watched a man get dragged from his home and beaten to death with empty cardboard toilet paper rolls. It took the mob hours to finish him off. Those who raided his supplies we're wiping themselves in a frenzy with entire rolls all at once, like savages who had never once learned to use a spool.

It's like the dark ages here. Total civil degradation and devolution of man. Kiss your children, hug your wives/husbands, and pray you do not suffer the same fate as the pacific NW.

Bow down to your bidet overlords

33 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Dude get some sun....

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Playoffs? Who knows if they'll even happen. It's been pretty quiet around here though during the quarantine, besides my neighbors baby. Seemed like it cried for days on end without stopping till last night. Don't know what got it to stop, but I could hear mom sobbing on the other side of the wall this morning. Smelled like she was cooking BBQ too, although all the meat in the grocery stores went sold out days ago so I have no idea where the extra food came from...

Love from Seattle.

Some of us were smart and stocked up a while ago ;) love from Canada 

8 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Dude, the likely scenario has already been leaked. 24 teams still with a shot at making it. It's the quickest way to bring things down to 16 teams for the normal playoffs. 

These lockdowns are expected to last 8 weeks at least. No chance they finish the season, even if shortened. 

Generating a schedule to get all teams to 72 games opens up an entire can of worms not even worth getting into.

No matter what's done to fix this mess, it's going to "open up a giant can of worms"... I'm aware of the proposed fix. That doesn't mean I agree with it. To me, it makes much more sense to shorten the regular season, rather than extend the playoffs. We'll see what happens, but regardless how this plays out, you can be guaranteed there will be at least one team('s fanbase) feeling like they're getting screwed...

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

No matter what's done to fix this mess, it's going to "open up a giant can of worms"... I'm aware of the proposed fix. That doesn't mean I agree with it. To me, it makes much more sense to shorten the regular season, rather than extend the playoffs. We'll see what happens, but regardless how this plays out, you can be guaranteed there will be at least one team('s fanbase) feeling like they're getting screwed...

Yes but that's the situation no matter if we go with your method, Marcs, the NHLs, or whomevers.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other (especially since the Wings are the only team eliminated) but this year puts the Red Wings in particular in an odd circumstance. I'm gonna transition away from the playoff format now, sorry for quoting you.

1. We now have possible extended time to evaluate and decide on draft picks and UFAs. I don't think this seemingly trivial fact should go underestimated. We now have all the highs and lows of an almost competed season by all players involved, with possible even extended playoffs to come. The corona gap between regular season and playoffs will also give us a clean slate, so to speak, where the momentum and hype is nearly canceled in the playoffs. I think one could argue either way, but I personally think this fact gives us one of the most honest and potentially realistic view of certain players in a must win format. Also, have u been in meetings of 30+ people? There's a reason companies try to do as many as they can of them. Sharing ideas amongst 30 scouts or employees requires days on end of deliberation and exploration. Think about LGW. Debates about things of much more trivial consequence can go on for days or more. The point I'm trying to drive home is that the more our scouts have time to meet, the more they will get closer to the right decision. A clear advantage to a team who is drafting high and has never seen a draft THIS important before.

Gentlemen, there is an easy argument that can be made that this could be the most important draft to the Detroit Red Wings in the history of the franchise. I feel no disillusion saying that.

2. The possible shrink of the salary cap. Corona has crashed the economy, your 401K, and also probably the NHL salary cap. A retracting salary cap will benefit this team in possibly the most profound way. This is gonna put the salary crunch on teams, and no one planned for or foresaw this. That means that players you hoped might be available may very well be, and even more you might not have anticipated. Couple that with our cap room and ability to spend and it looks like a tasty situation. We have become the low cap high dollar team we feared in 2005.

Couple this with the fact that we have possibly the most RFAs needing to be re-signed. This bodes well for our negotiating leverage. Fear of offer-sheets will be slim to none. RFAs will be forced to the table.

Lastly, consider out situation with disliked vets like Abdelkader and Nielsen. A decreasing cap should realistically motivate Yzerman to hunker down and NOT perform a buyout. I personally want to become as competitive as fast as possible, but i respect the clear long term advantage of waiting on a buyout. Could very well be a blessing in disguise in terms of roster engagement.

Old clip but fun to talk about nevertheless

I really think this is the wrong core. Larkin is not elite. Mantha is not elite. Bertuzzi is not elite. Hronek is not elite.

We're dealing with a collection of young players who are good, but will never take us to the promise land.

We need Lafreniere style players.

17 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Day 57? I always thought this to be the usual behavior in Seattle. :P

17 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

We have to look at this trough a political lens. The Board of Governors probably will have to approve the steps taken by the league. At least they will have a big influence on the decision.  And they will chose the solution that will hurt them the least financially.

9 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yeah cuz that's a staple food item people need to survive.

Day 209,

@Neomaxizoomdweebie has been surviving the last month mostly on feral cats. Some other survivors and himself learned to catch them once the supplies ran out. Tonight though they only have rat meat and a small supply of looted toothpaste to eat.

Still there is hope. Rumors of milk and honey in the West. Some survivors have already packed up their few supplies and headed that way hoping to share in the abundance of modern foods still available. The rumors speak of a great man with a seemingly infinite supply of white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies. Just the word cookie is enough to make Neo's mouth water and his stomach to turn with hunger pains...