• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scott R Lucidi

If Lafreniere pulls an Eric Lindros on the Wings

Rate this topic

38 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Has the NHL done anything to eliminate this situation from happening again?  The Nordiques/Avalanche ended up ok, but that whole situation was some B.S.

So literally the only time this has ever happened it "turned out ok" and we're A) worried about it, and B) think the NHL should do something about it? 

Let me help you out, here's what you do: you don't select that player anyway, like the Nordiques did, and pick the next best guy.  Problem solved. 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

So literally the only time this has ever happened it "turned out ok" and we're A) worried about it, and B) think the NHL should do something about it? 

Let me help you out, here's what you do: you don't select that player anyway, like the Nordiques did, and pick the next best guy.  Problem solved. 

Or you select him, and reap the benefits by trading him, and win the Cup multiple times...In a different city mind you...

1 hour ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Has the NHL done anything to eliminate this situation from happening again?  The Nordiques/Avalanche ended up ok, but that whole situation was some B.S.

Yeah - dumb move by the Lindros clan, but oh well.

I doubt there would be issues with any prospect...Even though we're bad - the owner/mgt is just fine.

I really have no problem with what Lindros did. He fully understood the amount of power over his own situation that he had and he decided to leverage that for something he wanted, or didn't want, and that was not playing in a French speaking province for an owner he didn't like.

Shrewd move if you ask me. More players need to wake up and realize they have this authority over their own career.

I have a lot more respect for the guy who says "I dont care that im the #1 overall I pick, I dont wanna waste my career in Ottawa" than the the guy who says "I'm just happy to waste my career wherever the NHL lottery decides".

To address the topic of the thread - I dont wish it - but then again I almost do as well because maybe it finally make a few folks realize just how awful this team truly is when Laffy rejects us. And just how much tanking there still is to be done.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

If he did I would be okay with it especially if we got the same kind of haul QC got back in the day set Avs up for a long haul. It would probably accelerate the rebuild a bit...LOL

https://thehockeywriters.com/eric-lindros-trade-revisited/

A little snippet of the trade with Lindros saying it was a single person the owner why he refused

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/video/i-didnt-want-play-nordiques-owner

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

IF he did this, then you trade the pick or the person for a haul!  Generally players are not like this though.

Except that Eric Lindros was considered (with some justification) the next generational superstar, while Lafreniere isn't even close to that.  Who's going to give up a haul for Jonathan Huberdeau with a bad attitude? 

15 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Except that Eric Lindros was considered (with some justification) the next generational superstar, while Lafreniere isn't even close to that.  Who's going to give up a haul for Jonathan Huberdeau with a bad attitude? 

Is it already confirmed he has a negative attitude?

Yzerman already took his bad attitude frenchmen in Johnny Drouin at #3, and ended up swapping him out for a Dman drafted at #9.

I think Stevie is past the draft hype game at this point. He's gonna take the best player in his mind, and not who the media tells him to take like Holland did with Zadina.

31 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yzerman already took his bad attitude frenchmen in Johnny Drouin at #3, and ended up swapping him out for a Dman drafted at #9.

I think Stevie is past the draft hype game at this point. He's gonna take the best player in his mind, and not who the media tells him to take like Holland did with Zadina.

No, I was saying that if he "refused to play in Detroit" a la Lindros that it would be clear he had Lindros' attitude but without the same level of talent.  Hence, one wouldn't get a Lindros like return in a trade.  As such, it would be better to pass on it entirely and just select the next player on your draft list. 

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

No, I was saying that if he "refused to play in Detroit" a la Lindros that it would be clear he had Lindros' attitude but without the same level of talent.  Hence, one wouldn't get a Lindros like return in a trade.  As such, it would be better to pass on it entirely and just select the next player on your draft list. 

My dad played golf with some nhl announcers a month ago and they said that Lafreniere was closer to McDavid/Crosby type impact talent level than he was to non-generational talent level.  Take that for what it's worth.

21 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

My dad played golf with some nhl announcers a month ago and they said that Lafreniere was closer to McDavid/Crosby type impact talent level than he was to non-generational talent level.  Take that for what it's worth.

It's worth nothing, and I take it as such.

28 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

"They" are probably made up.

The "they" in question

pi-fsmw-darren-pang.jpg

If it's true, it might be noteworthy. Panger also may have had a small hand in the Fabbri trade

"Steve and I talk hockey all the time, doesn’t matter if he’s interested in a player or not, we talk about players and what kind of players fit in wherever. I’ve talked to Steve a little bit about Robby because I really like Robby Fabbri, I always have. I cheer for the kid because he’s a competitive kid. I do the majority of the games here in St. Louis between the benches, and one thing I found out, when the game was on the line and he wasn’t on the ice, he wasn’t happy. That’s the kind of guy he is. He’s not a passenger on the bus, he wants to lead the bus. Anytime Steve would ask me about a player, or any time I (could) bring up Robby Fabbri to any of my friends that are managers, I thought especially for Steve, Robby Fabbri would be a perfect fit for Detroit. Hungry, motivated. As I said to Steve at one point, 'He’s not a prospect. He’s a real player.'"

Panger and Steve are childhood friends or some ***** s*** like that

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

That Zadina analysis is bang on and we're gonna pay the price for it for years. 

As people have pointed out the Lindros situation had extenuating circumstances....However IF Alexis Lafreniere were ever going to pull the same move I doubt it would be with the Wings.  In a Detroit news article he states the wings are a great organization, not that means anything, but his relationship with Joe Veleno might.  They've been linemates for two years on team Canada and are very good friends off the ice.  Not the type of situation he would refuse to join.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2020/03/25/alexis-lafreniere-calls-detroit-red-wings-great-organization-joe-veleno/5078030002/

38 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

As people have pointed out the Lindros situation had extenuating circumstances....However IF Alexis Lafreniere were ever going to pull the same move I doubt it would be with the Wings.  In a Detroit news article he states the wings are a great organization, not that means anything, but his relationship with Joe Veleno might.  They've been linemates for two years on team Canada and are very good friends off the ice.  Not the type of situation he would refuse to join.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2020/03/25/alexis-lafreniere-calls-detroit-red-wings-great-organization-joe-veleno/5078030002/

Wings were a dynasty for more than 2 decades. Everyone knows that a decline was inevitable. No reason to think they won't get there again. I would imagine being a part of that would make Detroit more desirable among the lottery teams. 

2 hours ago, BringBack19 said:

The price will be much less than drafting Rasmussen.

You're quite likely right but since that's not what the discussion has been about I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

On 4/12/2020 at 11:44 AM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Lindros just didn't want to play in Quebec City.

Not a problem now because:

1. Players don't do this anymore.

2. Players actually want to play in Detroit.

3. Quebec doesn't have a team anymore.

It wasnt even that, he did an interview on Sportsnet and stated it was a personal issue he had with the owner of that team. Ill try to find the clip.

*edit*

Here it is:

Edited by kliq

The Nords absolutely won that trade when you look at it long term. Made them instantly competitive, and had they stayed in Quebec and not gotten Roy, I think they could have still won a cup with Hextall, had they kept him around longer than one season. Tough team with a ton of goal scorers and a solid d. Many of the players Lindros was traded for hoisted the cup in Colorado, he never did.

Maybe Lafrienere pulls a Lindros NOW with whichever team drafts him!?! Maybe he doesn't want to play in Florida or The Isles or Arizona or Edmonton? Maybe he wants to go somewhere where HE is the star, he gets to be captain, etc... I doubt it happens, but it would be interesting!