• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

If we don't win the lottery

Rate this topic

Players outside of Lafreniere  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Love the troll Askarov vote. I've been going back and forth so much on this.  Byfield is a stud and has been compared to Malkin, but he's likely going to be in the OHL at least another year.  Stutzle has been compared to Kane or Marner, neither of whom are centers, but he seems to project as one and could be playing for the Griffs as early as next season. Finally, I like Rossi's game the most, and he's indicated that he won't play in the OHL next season but he's no eligible to play in the AHL so it's NHL or Europe for him.  Risky proposition for a guy that still has some physical developing to do before he's an effective pro. 

End of the day I picked Rossi.  He just impacts the game in so many more ways than everyone else.  He's good at everything and is about the same size as Crosby was when drafted (so I'm not scared of his height).  But I'm hoping there's a growth spurt ahead regardless.

8 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Love the troll Askarov vote. I've been going back and forth so much on this.  Byfield is a stud and has been compared to Malkin, but he's likely going to be in the OHL at least another year.  Stutzle has been compared to Kane or Marner, neither of whom are centers, but he seems to project as one and could be playing for the Griffs as early as next season. Finally, I like Rossi's game the most, and he's indicated that he won't play in the OHL next season but he's no eligible to play in the AHL so it's NHL or Europe for him.  Risky proposition for a guy that still has some physical developing to do before he's an effective pro. 

End of the day I picked Rossi.  He just impacts the game in so many more ways than everyone else.  He's good at everything and is about the same size as Crosby was when drafted (so I'm not scared of his height).  But I'm hoping there's a growth spurt ahead regardless.

Rossi is short, but he's pretty heavy for a short guy. Elite prospects says 180 lbs, hockeydb says nearly 190 lbs. I got 3 inches on Rossi and I didn't hit 190 till I was like 25 lol.

Askarov would fix an entire aspect of the team overnight

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Rossi is short, but he's pretty heavy for a short guy. Elite prospects says 180 lbs, hockeydb says nearly 190 lbs. I got 3 inches on Rossi and I didn't hit 190 till I was like 25 lol.

Askarov would fix an entire aspect of the team overnight

I ******* knew it was you!

As I've said many times, I don't think you need elite goaltending to win Cups, and many team with elite goaltending don't.  I'd MUCH rather have serviceable goaltending and an elite defense corps.  I would continue to use these high draft picks on position players and then, when we're ready to compete, nab somebody's backup who's ready to breakout.  There's always a Georgiev out there who can be had for trade when we're ready to compete. 

This year I'm filling my #1 center need.  Next year I'm getting an offensive minded LD powerplay QB.  The year after that I'm taking a powerforward with decent hands.  Only then am I thinking about goalie. 

Edited by kipwinger

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Stutzle kinda looks like Hudler. Rossi kinda looks like Malkin. Drysdale looks like he could put on a dress and take me home from the club.

I genuinely want all of those top three more than I want Lafreniere.

34 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Byfield pulls ahead.

1. Byfield
2. Stutzle
3. Drysdale

I honestly dont know much about Byfield. What's his deal? Seems like this years Dylan Cozens to me.

I picked Byfield. He's only 17 and already 6'4" and 215 lbs. He's the only true center in the top 5 besides Rossi. He averaged almost 2 points per game in the OHL this past season. He's being compared to Malkin. He's also the consensus #2 overall pick on many sites.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I picked Byfield. He's only 17 and already 6'4" and 215 lbs. He's the only true center in the top 5 besides Rossi. He averaged almost 2 points per game in the OHL this past season. He's being compared to Malkin. He's also the consensus #2 overall pick on many sites.

Reading a bit about Byfield this morning. Here's what I've garnered:

• Fast, likes to exit the zone early, fast skating backwards as well
  • Deployed in all zones, guards the point on the PK, sets up on the boards in the O-zone (not a net front power-forward)
  • Good use of the stick in both zones
  • Uses his size to muscle around the boards and protect the puck with the body (thinking of Zbergs ass right now)
  • Excellent shooter and passer, not a shoot first mentality player, can be caught forcing bad passes on occassion
  • Needs to work on upping the pressure on the forecheck and being more consistent in the faceoff dot
  • Comparable: Mark Scheifele
  • NHL ready (3rd line duties)

In regards to the 3rd to last bullet, I read that some don't project him as a true NHL center, citing his inconsistencies in the faceoff dot.

Doing my due diligence on Marco Rossi now

This kids resume is impressive AF. Perhaps even more impressive than Lafrenieres.

> At 11 years old he enters Switzerlands top U15 league
> At 13 he gains promotion to Switzerlands top U17 league (he is a pre-pubescent 5'4" at this point)
> By 15 he is absolutely wailing on this league and thus gains promotion to Switzerlands top U20 league. He is also now participating in WJC U18 international play where he is also dominant AF
> At 16 he has turned pro and is playing in the Swiss mens league scoring 7 pts in 18 games. He is also now on the WJC U20 roster and is still dominant against his peers
> At 17 he crosses the pond to play in the OHL and is over a pointpergame player
> At 18 he leads the entire CHL in scoring <-- you are here

I actually read his point totals are a poor reflection of his play, because he is making stuff happen literally every second of every shift. His drive and workmanship are supposed to be something to behold.

The knocks: I guess he isn't that fast, so he may not project to be an NHL center. Not a whole lot of centers exist who are that small and don't have speed to compensate for it. But I guess his edgework is phenomenal, so he will be spinning guys heads in tight.

I want to say this is the next MSL, but then MSL was uber fast.

I think it's very clear if you value offense and can look past small size, this is the best out there not named Lafreniere.

Stutzle is quite similar to Rossi

> At 12 years old joins the German U16
> At 15 he is dominating the German U19
> At 16 he is dominating German U20 play and WJC U18 international play
> At 17 he joins the German mens league posting 34 points in 41 games

Stutzle seems to check a lot of boxes. Blazing fast. Amazing puck control. Electric and dynamic offensively. I have read he is not 6'1" though and is a lot closer to 5'11".

If it comes down to Stutzle v. Byfield as the poll suggests it will be tough. Byfield looks like more of the complete package, but is also the more immature player and doesn't seem to do any one thing amazingly well. Stutzle is likely gonna be an offensive powerhouse and might be more NHL ready now, but lacks the diverse tool kit that Byfield may have one day.

This is how bored I am. I'm actually doing prospect research now instead of talking out my ass.

On 4/13/2020 at 1:02 PM, kipwinger said:

You're such a size queen.