• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

If we don't win the lottery

Rate this topic

Players outside of Lafreniere  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I picked Byfield. He's only 17 and already 6'4" and 215 lbs. He's the only true center in the top 5 besides Rossi. He averaged almost 2 points per game in the OHL this past season. He's being compared to Malkin. He's also the consensus #2 overall pick on many sites.

Another Keith Primeau?

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Stutzle is quite similar to Rossi

> At 12 years old joins the German U16
> At 15 he is dominating the German U19
> At 16 he is dominating German U20 play and WJC U18 international play
> At 17 he joins the German mens league posting 34 points in 41 games

Stutzle seems to check a lot of boxes. Blazing fast. Amazing puck control. Electric and dynamic offensively. I have read he is not 6'1" though and is a lot closer to 5'11".

If it comes down to Stutzle v. Byfield as the poll suggests it will be tough. Byfield looks like more of the complete package, but is also the more immature player and doesn't seem to do any one thing amazingly well. Stutzle is likely gonna be an offensive powerhouse and might be more NHL ready now, but lacks the diverse tool kit that Byfield may have one day.

This is how bored I am. I'm actually doing prospect research now instead of talking out my ass.

That's what Discord is for.

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Doing my due diligence on Marco Rossi now

This kids resume is impressive AF. Perhaps even more impressive than Lafrenieres.

> At 11 years old he enters Switzerlands top U15 league
> At 13 he gains promotion to Switzerlands top U17 league (he is a pre-pubescent 5'4" at this point)
> By 15 he is absolutely wailing on this league and thus gains promotion to Switzerlands top U20 league. He is also now participating in WJC U18 international play where he is also dominant AF
> At 16 he has turned pro and is playing in the Swiss mens league scoring 7 pts in 18 games. He is also now on the WJC U20 roster and is still dominant against his peers
> At 17 he crosses the pond to play in the OHL and is over a pointpergame player
> At 18 he leads the entire CHL in scoring <-- you are here

I actually read his point totals are a poor reflection of his play, because he is making stuff happen literally every second of every shift. His drive and workmanship are supposed to be something to behold.

The knocks: I guess he isn't that fast, so he may not project to be an NHL center. Not a whole lot of centers exist who are that small and don't have speed to compensate for it. But I guess his edgework is phenomenal, so he will be spinning guys heads in tight.

I want to say this is the next MSL, but then MSL was uber fast.

I think it's very clear if you value offense and can look past small size, this is the best out there not named Lafreniere.

Marco Rossi sounds like some dude who played for Juventus in the 80's.  

If we're not getting Lafreniere, it's likely going to be one of Byfield, Drysdale, Raymond, Rossi, Stutzle. I think that's the pool -- and I am more than ok with that. If we get any one of these five players, this draft is a win for the rebuild. Anything else from this draft would be a bonus.

Here are some good profiles written up by the folks at The Hockey Writers:

And here are some good profiles written up by Ben Kerr for Last Word on Hockey:

Honestly, I don't really have a preference hierarchy for this group; to me, there's very little separating any one of these players from any one of the other four. Again, give me any one of these players and I'm a happy camper. Happier than I was when we got Zadina? Yes. These five players are, IMO, better prospects than 2018 Zadina (and you could absolutely make a case for Perfetti, Holtz, Lundell, maybe a couple more). Happier than I was when we got Seider? Also yes.

While I wouldn't necessarily bet good money on any one of these players becoming a better NHLer than Lafreniere, it won't be a huge shock to me. These are all fantastic prospects. The fact that one of them will be available at 6th overall (quite possibly later) is pretty wild.

If I have to pick one...oof, it's tough. It's really tough. Objectively, Byfield's probably the best pick at 2nd overall. He's the complete package. He's very young, which just makes him that much more projectable. His ceiling is probably higher than anyone else's (maybe even Lafreniere's) and his floor is probably higher than anyone else's. I feel comfortable saying he's going to be, *at minimum*, a slightly better 1C than Larkin is right now.

The thought of rolling Byfield-Larkin-Veleno at center gets me hard as f***. Three speedy two-way matchup guys. A matchup nightmare. Wanna load up the top line? Flank Larkin with Byfield and Mantha, or Bertuzzi, or Rasmussen, or Zadina, or Fabbri. Imagine a top-six winger group of Byfield, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen. lmfao.

So, yeah, gimme Byfield. He's not my absolute favorite 2020 draft-eligible, but I think he makes the most sense for us.

43 minutes ago, Dabura said:

If we're not getting Lafreniere, it's likely going to be one of Byfield, Drysdale, Raymond, Rossi, Stutzle. I think that's the pool -- and I am more than ok with that. If we get any one of these five players, this draft is a win for the rebuild. Anything else from this draft would be a bonus.

Honestly, I don't really have a preference hierarchy for this group; to me, there's very little separating any one of these players from any one of the other four. Again, give me any one of these players and I'm a happy camper. Happier than I was when we got Zadina? Yes. These five players are, IMO, better prospects than 2018 Zadina (and you could absolutely make a case for Perfetti, Holtz, Lundell, maybe a couple more). Happier than I was when we got Seider? Also yes.

While I wouldn't necessarily bet good money on any one of these players becoming a better NHLer than Lafreniere, it won't be a huge shock to me. These are all fantastic prospects. The fact that one of them will be available at 6th overall (quite possibly later) is pretty wild.

If I have to pick one...oof, it's tough. It's really tough. Objectively, Byfield's probably the best pick at 2nd overall. He's the complete package. He's very young, which just makes him that much more projectable. His ceiling is probably higher than anyone else's (maybe even Lafreniere's) and his floor is probably higher than anyone else's. I feel comfortable saying he's going to be, *at minimum*, a slightly better 1C than Larkin is right now.

The thought of rolling Byfield-Larkin-Veleno at center gets me hard as f***. Three speedy two-way matchup guys. A matchup nightmare. Wanna load up the top line? Flank Larkin with Byfield and Mantha, or Bertuzzi, or Rasmussen, or Zadina, or Fabbri. Imagine a top-six winger group of Byfield, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen. lmfao.

So, yeah, gimme Byfield. He's not my absolute favorite 2020 draft-eligible, but I think he makes the most sense for us.

Not one of the players available in this draft - including Lafreniere - will be as valuable as Seider

That said having a bunch of 6'5" 240 lb guys in Ras/Mantha/Byfield running around our top6 would be pretty gnarly

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

On 4/15/2020 at 10:46 AM, F.Michael said:

I actually use their jerseys as seat covers in my Jeep.

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

Stay away from Raymond.... Busteroni

20 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not one of the players available in this draft - including Lafreniere - will be as valuable as Seider

That said having a bunch of 6'5" 240 lb guys in Ras/Mantha/Byfield running around our top6 would be pretty gnarly

Seider = bust. Wake up and smell the sauerkraut, nerds.

14 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yeah, I get that concern. I expected more from him at the SEL level. To be fair, he actually played very well (underlying numbers say he was consistently driving play and the eye test says he was consistently making good decisions), but SEL coaches generally don't like playing kids and he wasn't exactly piling up goals, so he spent the season in limbo. Way too good for the SHL, not *quite* good enough for the SEL coach's liking. I see no reason to believe he wouldn't have torn CHL competition apart, but it's true that we haven't seen much of him on the smaller ice surface and it's true that his skating generally needs work. I figure he's probably going to slide a wee bit on draft day (whenever the hell that is), but, again, I won't be too surprised if he ends up being a better NHLer than Lafreniere. All of these guys we're talking about are legit top-end prospects.

22 hours ago, Dabura said:

Larkin is a 2C... so if Byfield is a 1C he'd be our top guy come contention time.

15 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

So you're saying he'd pair well with 'white fish' and '18 Zadina...

25 minutes ago, mackel said:

Larkin is a 2C... so if Byfield is a 1C he'd be our top guy come contention time.

So you're saying he'd pair well with 'white fish' and '18 Zadina...

No. I'm saying of all the prospects being talked about, he's the one I see as the most likely to not pan out. And if he was picked in the top 4 (which our pick will be), that would be a bust when you consider the potential that several other players could reach in this draft.

Zadina was picked at 6 and is already a top 6 F at 20 yo. Not the same.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

21 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

No. I'm saying of all the prospects being talked about, he's the one I see as the most likely to not pan out. And if he was picked in the top 4 (which our pick will be), that would be a bust when you consider the potential that several other players could reach in this draft.

Zadina was picked at 6 and is already a top 6 F at 20 yo. Not the same.

Gotta remember that Byfield is nearly a full year younger than some of the other top guys.  Add 10sih months of experience and maturing to that kid and he's likely up there with Lafreniere and Rossi (two of the older guys) in scoring.  He's a machine and I think pretty safely projects as a top center given his size, skill, and speed.  You're looking at another Anze Kopitar here. 

Any truth to this?  Apparently Bob McKenzie is saying that the draft will be held early June and that they will use the old lottery rules with only one winner and that the team can move up a max 4 spots.  This would mean only a team in the bottom 4 would have a shot at Lafreniere.  That would mean worst case for us is picking #2

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/g79evs/john_rodenburg_the_latest_from_bob_mckenzie_talk/

Edited by 13dangledangle