• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Elliotte Friedman: Swedish UFA Forward Mathias Brome to Sign with Wings

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

My understanding was that someone got into his friends insta, and thus became privy to their group chat.

To me its more like the dude that drilled the hole in the hotel wall to video tape Erin Andrews in the nude. She had the reasonable expectation of privacy, and thus was fully "naked". I think one could make the same argument here with Leipsic. He had an expectation of privacy, but the world is seeing his nakedness anyway.

Except that the courts have routinely ruled that the internet is a public, not private, space.  Regardless of whether or not your app is password protected it's still a public app.  Your device is private, the messages on instagram/other social media aren't.  Hence why most social media sites have been using the phrase "direct message" as opposed to "private chat" or the like.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

Except that the courts have routinely ruled that the internet is a public, not private, space.  Regardless of whether or not your app is password protected it's still a public app.  Your device is private, the messages on instagram/other social media aren't.  Hence why most social media sites have been using the phrase "direct message" as opposed to "private chat" or the like.

I'd still say the spirit of the thing feels like an invasion of privacy. A man lost his job because of something he said between friends. I'd hate to live in a world like that. But it looks like I already do...

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'd still say the spirit of the thing feels like an invasion of privacy. A man lost his job because of something he said between friends. I'd hate to live in a world like that. But it looks like I already do...

That's sorta my point.  We live in a country that doesn't educate anybody on anything important, such as civil liberties.  As a result many people in the public don't know what is or is not "private". Or even what "private" means really. 

Also, he didn't lose his job for what he said in "private".  He lost his job because branding matters to people that own multi-million dollar businesses.  I'm positive that Ted Leonsis (owner of the Caps) is not thrilled with the fact that every single one of the zillion new stories and articles written about Leipsic being a coked up ******* also show a picture of him in a Capitals uniform and contain the words "Washington" and "Capitals" somewhere therein. 

If I ran a company and you worked for me and a video of you (in my company's tshirt) doing coke and calling women fat went viral I'd fire you too.  Not because you're an *******, but because you're making me look like one too. 

Edited by kipwinger

That's sorta my point.  We live in a country that doesn't educate anybody on anything important, such as civil liberties.  As a result many people in the public don't know what is or is not "private". Or even what "private" means really. 

Also, he didn't lose his job for what he said in "private".  He lost his job because branding matters to people that own multi-million dollar businesses.  I'm positive that Ted Leonsis (owner of the Caps) is not thrilled with the fact that every single one of the zillion new stories and articles written about Leipsic being a coked up ******* also show a picture of him in a Capitals uniform and contain the words "Washington" and "Capitals" somewhere therein. 

If I ran a company and you worked for me and a video of you (in my company's tshirt) doing coke and calling women fat went viral I'd fire you too.  Not because you're an *******, but because you're making me look like one too. 

If I have to hear one more person exclaim "UR NOT ALLOWED TO VIDEO ME" while being videod in public, I might die.

No I totally agree with you. I think the Caps took appropriate action given the circumstances. I'm more or less angered by the culture that leads to these circumstances. Hockey players say naughty things and do cocaine! WhoaWhoaWeeWhoa. Shocking stuff! Then everyone loves to circle around and point at Leipsic and pretend that they also dont do dumb stuff on the internet from time to time. I think he should've gotten a slap on the peepee for this, issued an apology, and we all move on. But we HAVE to cancel everything these days...

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If I have to hear one more person exclaim "UR NOT ALLOWED TO VIDEO ME" while being videod in public, I might die.

No I totally agree with you. I think the Caps took appropriate action given the circumstances. I'm more or less angered by the culture that leads to these circumstances. Hockey players say naughty things and do cocaine! WhoaWhoaWeeWhoa. Shocking stuff! Then everyone loves to circle around and point at Leipsic and pretend that they also dont do dumb stuff on the internet from time to time. I think he should've gotten a slap on the peepee for this, issued an apology, and we all move on. But we HAVE to cancel everything these days...

So just to be clear, it's okay (and even quite good and beneficial) to shame people for being fat but it's too much to shame people for being coked up d*ckheads?

Not sure that's how public scrutiny works. And you're very clearly not against the idea of using public scrutiny to straighten people out.

Edited by kipwinger

So just to be clear, it's okay (and even quite good and beneficial) to shame people for being fat but it's too much to shame people for being coked up d*ckheads?

Not sure that's how public scrutiny works. And you're very clearly not against the idea of using public scrutiny to straighten people out.

Cocaine - cool and fun
Dickheads - alpha and funny
Fatties - gross and ewwy

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Cocaine - cool and fun
Dickheads - alpha and funny
Fatties - gross and ewwy

Ok, just wanted to make sure.  Because for a second it seemed like you were suggesting that when Social Justice Warriors use public scrutiny to enforce their preferred social norms it was "Orwellian" but when you advocate for using public scrutiny to enforce your preferred social norms it was legitimately charitable.

13 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Ok, just wanted to make sure.  Because for a second it seemed like you were suggesting that when Social Justice Warriors use public scrutiny to enforce their preferred social norms it was "Orwellian" but when you advocate for using public scrutiny to enforce your preferred social norms it was legitimately charitable.

The difference being I don't think Jimmy Howard should lose his job for being fat. Just like I don't think Leipsic should lose his for being a doosh canoe.

24 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The difference being I don't think Jimmy Howard should lose his job for being fat. Just like I don't think Leipsic should lose his for being a doosh canoe.

Again, he didn't lose his job for being an asshat.  He lost his job for making his boss/company look bad.  A point you've already agreed with.  Not a single person "canceled" him out of his job.

Just now, kipwinger said:

Again, he didn't lose his job for being an asshat.  He lost his job for making his boss/company look bad.  A point you've already agreed with.  Not a single person "canceled" him out of his job.

The Caps don't care about Leipsic's banter between him and his friends in the slightest. The Caps care about what WE think of his banter between him and his friends.

I say it's not that bad. But most seem to think Leipsic is the devil. So I lose I guess.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The Caps don't care about Leipsic's banter between him and his friends in the slightest. The Caps care about what WE think of his banter between him and his friends.

I say it's not that bad. But most seem to think Leipsic is the devil. So I lose I guess.

As I've already said, the Caps care about their brand.  If his "private" conversation had stayed "private" they wouldn't care.  But the minute their logo was plastered all over every story containing references to their employees doing coke and making fun of "fat sluts" they cared.  Why?  Because it makes them look bad. 

The thing I don't understand is why all you right wingers are giddy whenever faceless, right wing, internet s***bags make a big deal about an all female cast of Ghostbusters or whatever, but act like the sky is falling whenever faceless, left wing, internet s***bags do the same thing to some other unethical s***head?  All fair play right? 

Edited by kipwinger

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

David Sterling didn't lose a job, he lost his entire franchise because of something he said in private that was being recorded without his knowledge (which is illegal in many states).

This is the world we live in now. 

44 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

David Sterling didn't lose a job, he lost his entire franchise because of something he said in private that was being recorded without his knowledge (which is illegal in many states).

This is the world we live in now. 

You're f*cking delusional. He "lost" his franchise after he gave his wife permission to sell it, given that she was the co-owner.  And he did that because  3/4 of the other owners voted to remove him for violating the morality clause he signed; a process he agreed to upon buying the team in the first place.  Why did 3/4 agree that he should go?  Because it's bad for the NBA (a league that predominantly markets to black people) when one of their largest market teams is owned by a (now very public) racist. 

You act like a bunch of internet trolls stole his team from him.  That didn't happen. 

Also, his name is DONALD.  Next time you wanna make a martyr case out of someone you should probably get their name right, otherwise it looks like you're just bullsh*tting your way through your victim plea.

Edit:  Here's a good article about how Sterling "lost" his team by violating a number of different contracts he agreed to.  Again, I'm a free marketer, if he agreed to a contract he should honor it.  If he's desperate to be a racist instead, he should probably not have bought that team and signed those agreements.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-nba-will-argue-donald-sterling-violated-contracts/

Edited by kipwinger

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

As I've already said, the Caps care about their brand.  If his "private" conversation had stayed "private" they wouldn't care.  But the minute their logo was plastered all over every story containing references to their employees doing coke and making fun of "fat sluts" they cared.  Why?  Because it makes them look bad.

I know what you're saying. I'm not suggesting the Caps made the wrong move. I think I said something to the effect of "I think they made the appropriate move given the circumstances". I would make the same move in Teds shoes in all likelihood. Instead I'm drawing issue with the circumstances, not the teams decision given the circumstances. I think it sucks that the environment is such that his privacy can be invaded and he suffers for that. The chain reaction being Leipsic has a private convo ---> the public is made aware and becomes upset --> under this pressure the capitals feel the need to remove him.

The root of this being I really don't care what Leipsic says in his private life. And I think it speaks to how detached and naive the regular fan is given the fact that folks are shocked and appalled that a 25 year old rich pro athlete is a ******. Warning: a lot of your hero athletes behave in douchey ways in their private life. Shocking I know.

If you feel the desire to say "nothing is private online", cool then I have a major issue with online privacy standards, not Brendan's naughty words.

I will take 20 Datsyuk's - who don't care for homosexuals - on my team, over 20 Glendenings who do and say all the correct things polite society dictates they should. Likewise I will take 20 Ovechkins who worship Stalin over 20 conservative Leipics. I dont care, I need you to win hockey games. And I think I've made my stance on coke clear too: the more the better lol.

BTW the Caps didn't remove Kuznetsov for blatant cocaine use. Gee I wonder why? It's almost like the standard is so shallow that it doesn't apply if your valuable enough.

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

The thing I don't understand is why all you right wingers are giddy whenever faceless, right wing, internet s***bags make a big deal about an all female cast of Ghostbusters or whatever, but act like the sky is falling whenever faceless, left wing, internet s***bags do the same thing to some other unethical s***head?  All fair play right? 

I don't even disagree that their might exist a double standard there. But you're comparing a bad movie to an athlete who said something naughty in private. I don't begin to understand how that comparison makes any sense beyond right wing dumb, left wing good.

At the end of the day I usually side with whatever side lets me say whatever the f*** I want. I used to side with liberals because church going Christians would give me s*** for even daring to speak up. Now it's libs doing the same under different protocol. I'm simply never going to side with thought police.

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

You're f*cking delusional. He "lost" his franchise after he gave his wife permission to sell it, given that she was the co-owner.  And he did that because  3/4 of the other owners voted to remove him for violating the morality clause he signed; a process he agreed to upon buying the team in the first place.  Why did 3/4 agree that he should go?  Because it's bad for the NBA (a league that predominantly markets to black people) when one of their largest market teams is owned by a (now very public) racist. 

You act like a bunch of internet trolls stole his team from him.  That didn't happen. 

Also, his name is DONALD.  Next time you wanna make a martyr case out of someone you should probably get their name right, otherwise it looks like you're just bullsh*tting your way through your victim plea.

Edit:  Here's a good article about how Sterling "lost" his team by violating a number of different contracts he agreed to.  Again, I'm a free marketer, if he agreed to a contract he should honor it.  If he's desperate to be a racist instead, he should probably not have bought that team and signed those agreements.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-nba-will-argue-donald-sterling-violated-contracts/

Forgive me, I don't follow basketball anymore. Sterling is the one who said "nappy headed hos" on the radio?

7 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Edit:  Here's a good article about how Sterling "lost" his team by violating a number of different contracts he agreed to.  Again, I'm a free marketer, if he agreed  absol a contract he should honor it.  If he's desperate to be a racist instead, he should probably not have bought that team and signed those agreements.

You're absolutely right Kip. The recording had absolutely nothing to do with it. Lol.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Forgive me, I don't follow basketball anymore. Sterling is the one who said "nappy headed hos" on the radio?

No that was Don Imus. And he was rightfully fired from his radio show because he said it over the airways.

Sterling said something racist to a girl he was with while she was secretly recording him without his knowledge.

2 totally different scenarios. But I guess it doesnt matter in the end. As long as all the deplorables are punished, the ends justify the means. Illegally obtained recordings, hidden cameras, we cant allow people to have any civil liberties or individual rights when theres a social war to win. Free thought is forbidden if its not woke.

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

No that was Don Imus. And he was rightfully fired from his radio show because he said it over the airways.

Sterling said something racist to a girl he was with while she was secretly recording him without his knowledge.

2 totally different scenarios. But I guess it doesnt matter in the end. As long as all the deplorables are punished, the ends justify the means. Illegally obtained recordings, hidden cameras, we cant allow people to have any civil liberties or individual rights when theres a social war to win. Free thought is forbidden if its not woke.

This one? (from an article)

Speaking to his mixed-race girlfriend, Sterling said, "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people." And also, "I'm just saying, in your lousy f******* Instagrams, you don't have to have yourself with, walking with black people." And also, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games."

I really didn't follow this. Hockey takes up enough of my time. What a bizarre statement though. You can sleep with other men and do whatever you want, but don't be seen with black people. It's weirdly almost progressive and racist at the same time lol.

Was this recorded in his own home? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you have reasonable expectation of privacy in your own home and therefore it's illegal to record someone without their knowledge? I could be totally wrong on that. The FBI is listening to me through my Alexa right now.

The point that I think Kip will make, and I will make too, is that we're looking at free-market punishments. The NHL and NBA are businesses - not governments - and therefore they can choose to disassociate with whomever they like. Sterling or Leipsic. And I agree with that.

The point I have issue with is the privacy and the thought policing. I do have a huge problem with folks being attacked in their private lives. I do wanna cultivate an environment where folks can go home and pursure whatever douchey, racist, extremely religious, nutty, rebellious, sexual, progressive, life they want. Obviously that's become a lot harder with everyone having a camera and recorder in their pocket at all time, and everything on the web being "exposed" so to speak. It definitely feels like were at the beginning of manufacturing our own Orwellian nightmare. Maybe privacy law and online data stuff is due for an update? IDK, I dunno enough about the exact laws in place really. The message certainly seems to be get in line or suffer consequences though. Which I'll never advocate for. Go be your own f***ed up self and be free.

I love the Brome threads btw

31 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

Im not entirely sure Mathias Brome knows what he's getting himself into over here.  Better not be bringing his swedish mafia BS of pearl, hoes and misogyny over this way

Athletes have a lot of down time and a lot of folks talking about them. I'm fairly certain at some point a player like Brome has thought "hmmm I just signed with Detroit, I wonder what the fans are saying about me" and found his way to this place.

And I hope he clicks on the Brome thread and sees people fat-shaming Jimmy and discussing Donald Sterlings racism and thinks "OMG what I have I gotten myself into. These people are nuts"

Welcome to the family Bromey

This one? (from an article)

I really didn't follow this. Hockey takes up enough of my time. What a bizarre statement though. You can sleep with other men and do whatever you want, but don't be seen with black people. It's weirdly almost progressive and racist at the same time lol.

Was this recorded in his own home? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you have reasonable expectation of privacy in your own home and therefore it's illegal to record someone without their knowledge? I could be totally wrong on that. The FBI is listening to me through my Alexa right now.

The point that I think Kip will make, and I will make too, is that we're looking at free-market punishments. The NHL and NBA are businesses - not governments - and therefore they can choose to disassociate with whomever they like. Sterling or Leipsic. And I agree with that.

The point I have issue with is the privacy and the thought policing. I do have a huge problem with folks being attacked in their private lives. I do wanna cultivate an environment where folks can go home and pursure whatever douchey, racist, extremely religious, nutty, rebellious, sexual, progressive, life they want. Obviously that's become a lot harder with everyone having a camera and recorder in their pocket at all time, and everything on the web being "exposed" so to speak. It definitely feels like were at the beginning of manufacturing our own Orwellian nightmare. Maybe privacy law and online data stuff is due for an update? IDK, I dunno enough about the exact laws in place really. The message certainly seems to be get in line or suffer consequences though. Which I'll never advocate for. Go be your own f***ed up self and be free.

I love the Brome threads btw

That's him.

And yes, the rules in a court of law are completely different from those in the court of public opinion. Which many public figures find themselves convicted in, and the consequences can be just as damaging.

And I never argued that Donald Sterling shouldn't have been punished. (Yes, his name is Donald, not David. Wouldn't want to misremember a first name from 6 years ago. That might make my entire post lack credibility, lol.) You can't put the cat back in the bag at that point and pretend like he never said it. It was out there for everyone to hear. The league had no choice to take action against him to protect their image.

That didn't make it fair or just tho. An individual should be able to think or believe whatever they want, in private, so long as it doesnt manifest itself into illegal forms of discrimination.

Its funny tho, the people who protest holding up signs warning about "1984" are also the people who are ok with using the same Orwellian tactics to ruin others. 

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That didn't make it fair or just tho. An individual should be able to think or believe whatever they want so long as it doesnt manifest itself into illegal forms of discrimination or willful public defamation.

I tend to agree. That's why I have a problem with Leipsic. If he was publicly posting his douchey comments he should suffer the consequences. But he wasn't. Nobody wants their private lives exposed like that.

Athletes have a lot of down time and a lot of folks talking about them. I'm fairly certain at some point a player like Brome has thought "hmmm I just signed with Detroit, I wonder what the fans are saying about me" and found his way to this place.

And I hope he clicks on the Brome thread and sees people fat-shaming Jimmy and discussing Donald Sterlings racism and thinks "OMG what I have I gotten myself into. These people are nuts"

Welcome to the family Bromey

One can only hope!  I cant possibly think of another way to get familiar with the D than the fine folks at LGW

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/simmons-why-is-michael-jordan-such-a-loser-as-an-nba-owner

Steve Simmons with some Leipsic points under the ’Hear and There’ subheading.

Sucks for Leipsic he isnt a good enough hockey player to get a pass at this.  

2 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/simmons-why-is-michael-jordan-such-a-loser-as-an-nba-owner

Steve Simmons with some Leipsic points under the ’Hear and There’ subheading.

Sucks for Leipsic he isnt a good enough hockey player to get a pass at this.  

The guy is free to say whatever he wants (in the US anyway), but if he offends the wrong people, a mediocre player shouldn't get another chance per the media.

Unless of course he's a mediocre backup QB, who offended people who aren't woke, by exhibiting his Constitutional right. Then he deserves a 2nd chance, his own public tryout, special treatment, and the support of the media for his lawsuit against his former league.