• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Scott R Lucidi

Larkin vs Zetterberg

Rate this topic

14 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Wonder what Larkin's performance, and numbers would look like if he had better teammates?

Good question.  Larkin came in at a time when we were on a rapid decline so made the team with much less competition, which is why he was 18 compared to Z's 22.  He also has missed out on getting the playoff experience which was huge for Z's development too.  Zetterberg played on a hall of fame team, and his locker was strategically placed next to Yzermans.  I don't think there is any doubt Zetterberg got a hell of a lot better paying with those guys, but he had the skill, will and poise to rise to the occasion. 

Had Larkin got to play with Datsyuk and Hull, then rip powerplays with Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov and Lidstrom and have 4 years of playoffs (and a cup) under his belt his development would most certainly be a much quicker process.

Larkin and Zetterberg are really only similar in that they're both really tenacious.  Z was a MUCH better offensive player, stud defensive forward, and his success was largely driven by his attention to detail, relentless two-way effort, and high hockey IQ.  Larkin on the other hand, is fast. 

17 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Larkin and Zetterberg are really only similar in that they're both really tenacious.  Z was a MUCH better offensive player, stud defensive forward, and his success was largely driven by his attention to detail, relentless two-way effort, and high hockey IQ.  Larkin on the other hand, is fast. 

Look at Larkins advanced stats.  They are outstanding.  And he plays top line minutes and matches up against the other teams' top forwards.  Larkin is a great player.

7 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Look at Larkins advanced stats.  They are outstanding.  And he plays top line minutes and matches up against the other teams' top forwards.  Larkin is a great player.

Which advanced stats would those be?

Larkin's corsi/for is 50.2%.  That's ranks 288th in the league amongst players who played at least 30 games this year. 

Should I check his fenwick too or do you just wanna acknowledge that his "advanced stats" aren't as "outstanding" as you probably think?

On 5/3/2020 at 5:36 PM, kipwinger said:

We had a faster player with some sweet hands but traded him. To the ******* Oilers.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Cuz he sucked.

AA? One dimensional to be sure, but f*** that kid can skate, and he did score 30 goals one year. Trading him wasn't a huge deal with the picks that came back, just hated seeing Kenny and the Oilers get him. Like f*** off Kenny. lol

I don't mind AA's on ice contributions one way or another.  He's one dimensional, he's a possession black hole, he barely tries, and will never, ever, ever, win a puck battle, he's not especially useful on the powerplay, and he's the ultimate passenger.  He hurts your team in a million ways, but he does score. All of which would be fine if he was like Michael Grabner and was content to sign 3-4 million dollar contracts and play on a team's 3rd line permanently. But I'm afraid he values himself a little more than that.  So good riddance. 

Plus, he went to the Oilers and was almost immediately relegated to the 3rd line because he blows there too.

54 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He's now in the best possible position to do it. If he can't do it again in Edmonton, then it was a fluke. He's the Petr Mrazek of forwards.

He's in a great position to hit 30 again, and I think he will. I'm not sure I get the Mrazek analogy though...

16 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

He's in a great position to hit 30 again, and I think he will. I'm not sure I get the Mrazek analogy though...

Not playing in the bottom six he won't.

Flashes of brilliance. Periods of suck. Convinces multitudes of Wings fans he's the next big thing, then isn't. Turns out to be pretty unremarkable in the end. Like Mrazek.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

30 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He will be playing mostly in the *middle* six, and will definitely get plenty of looks with McDavid and Draisaitl. He's consistently hovered around that 20+ goal pace. I'm sure he'll pop off a year or two and hit 30 again. 

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Flashes of brilliance. Periods of suck. Convinces multitudes of Wings fans he's the next big thing, then isn't. Turns out to be pretty unremarkable in the end. Like Mrazek.

I forgot to mention that both were reported to be uncoachable. From what I remember.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

He will be playing mostly in the *middle* six, and will definitely get plenty of looks with McDavid and Draisaitl. He's consistently hovered around that 20+ goal pace. I'm sure he'll pop off a year or two and hit 30 again. 

I could get 30 goals playing with Draisaitl and McDavid. Not saying much.

40 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I could get 30 goals playing with Draisaitl and McDavid. Not saying much.

What's your point? You said "as a 30 goal scorer it is", referring to it being "done". I think Athanasiou can and likely will hit 30 goals again. You seem to think you could, but Athanasiou can't... 

19 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

What's your point? You said "as a 30 goal scorer it is", referring to it being "done". I think Athanasiou can and likely will hit 30 goals again. You seem to think you could, but Athanasiou can't... 

Because I don't think he will playing with those 2, that's why.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Because I don't think he will playing with those 2, that's why.

Okay, but why not?

I'm sure he'll see time on the 3rd line with Sheahan and whoever, but he'll also 100% see time with McDavid and / Draisaitl. He started on a line with McDavid and Ennis, and finished on a line with Draisaitl and Yamamoto. 

EDIT: he's currently practicing on that same line with Draisaitl and Yamamoto.

Edited by krsmith17