• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

Glendog for Captain

Rate this topic

Of course LGW goes down as soon as actual news rolls in...

As I'm sure everyone knows, Yzerman did a virtual press conference dressed like the Wings just drafted him. In it he made clear that Blash is returning and he will name a captain for next season (suck it anti-babers, you wanted Jeff - I like kids - Blashill and now you're stuck with him).

Glendening needs to be captain. He is the epitome of the Red Wings guy and well liked by teammates and management. He's also the older mature veteran that can weather the storm we are in and shoulder the burden for the next few years and lead us out of it. Larkin is still very young, still very emotional (see stick slamming), and is coming off a down season where it seemed our bad team really affected him. I think it would be very unwise to place this burden on a 23 year old Larkin.

The timeline also works out nicely. Glendening probably has about 4-5 years of decent hockey left in him. By that time Larkin will be 27/28 and Seider will be 23/24. Giving us two great options for a more long-term less bluecollar capatin. 

I was thinking it could be Glendening, but, realistically, I don't think Yzerman or Blashill wants an interim C. Wearing the C for the Wings is a big deal; the person who officially takes over for Zetterberg is going to be someone who's going to be a cornerstone player for at least five years.

That's why it's going to be Alex Pietrangelo.

22 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

By this logic we shouldn't name a captain then. Larkin doesn't compare well to those 3 either.

He's more of a star than Glendenning.  A fourth line scrub talent should not be a captain on this team.  

1 minute ago, GMRwings1983 said:

He's more of a star than Glendenning.  A fourth line scrub talent should not be a captain on this team.  

I don't feel obligated to make the best player the captain. The captaincy is for leaders not the best player. It just so happens that many leaders turn out to naturally be the best player.

Ference was captain of the Oilers
Jonsson was captain of the Islanders
Odelein was captain of the Jackets
Salvador was captain of the Devils
Fitzgerald was captain of the Preds
Mackenzie was captain of the Panthers
Corson was captain of the Oilers
McCabe was captain of the Panthers

I mean extend your list of Wings captains to pre-Yzerman era. There's a lot of lackluster captains on that list.

43 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't feel obligated to make the best player the captain. The captaincy is for leaders not the best player. It just so happens that many leaders turn out to naturally be the best player.

I mean extend your list of Wings captains to pre-Yzerman era. There's a lot of lackluster captains on that list.

Because they were ALL lackluster players.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

By this logic we shouldn't name a captain then. Larkin doesn't compare well to those 3 either.

He doesn't, but he's the best young talent on the roster.

13 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Why do we want to compare to any of those players or teams you just mentioned? 

And BTW, I wouldn't want Corson leading anything.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

14 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He doesn't, but he's the best young talent on the roster.

Again, captain does not equal "best young player". It's for the leader of your hockey team.

13 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Why do we want to compare to any of those players or teams you just mentioned? 

And BTW, I wouldn't want Corson leading anything.  

Why not? All those teams with those captains were better than we currently are. You're too proud to let a simple grinder be captain?

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

disney.com is next season's biggest trade deadline bait for the Wings. He won't be captain. 

>Glendening not getting the Dan Cleary VIP treatment
Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

53 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Again, captain does not equal "best young player". It's for the leader of your hockey team.

Why not? All those teams with those captains were better than we currently are. You're too proud to let a simple grinder be captain?

>Glendening not getting the Dan Cleary VIP treatment
Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

I've never been a fan of the "retarded kid being the prom king" idea. 

Larkin should behave in a way that leaves Yzerman no choice but to make him captain.  He's groomed for the part.  He hasn't been arrested doing crack somewhere to my knowledge.  He works hard and cares about the results every night.  If he wants to be a captain and acts like it, make him a captain.  If he wants to be a beta male instead, we'll trade him to Seattle's new franchise.   

5 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

I've never been a fan of the "retarded kid being the prom king" idea. 

Larkin should behave in a way that leaves Yzerman no choice but to make him captain.  He's groomed for the part.  He hasn't been arrested doing crack somewhere to my knowledge.  He works hard and cares about the results every night.  If he wants to be a captain and acts like it, make him a captain.  If he wants to be a beta male instead, we'll trade him to Seattle's new franchise.   

Okay. Glendog is retarded. Fair enough.

Now that the bait has been taken, it's time for the switch; Tyler Bertuzzi should be captain of the Detroit Red Wings. Larkin was on pace for 61 pts this year, Bertuzzi was on pace for 55. Bertuzzi is a more fearless leader on the team, and Bertuzzi has more personality than the rest of the team combined. He's one of the few players on this team that showed up for all 71 games. Besides Glendening I'm not sure we have a more hardworking or resilient player than him. Plus instead of slamming sticks and helmets he slams opponents faces. Any critique you have of Glendening being too mediocre can't be said of Tyler.

Lol at suggesting Bertuzzi or Glendening as the captain over Larkin. Larkin will be named captain, and for good reason. Get over it.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Larkin is the leader of this hockey team, on and off the ice. Like or not.

Glendening is a good alternate, but I wouldn't even consider Bertuzzi that... yet.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Lol at suggesting Bertuzzi or Glendening as the captain over Larkin. Larkin will be named captain, and for good reason. Get over it.

Larkin is the leader of this hockey team, on and off the ice. Like or not.

Glendening is a good alternate, but I wouldn't even consider Bertuzzi that... yet.

Lazy Larkin will NEVER captain this hockey team.

C: Bertuzzi
A: Glendening
A: Dekeyser (soon replaced by Seider)

23 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Okay. Glendog is retarded. Fair enough.

Now that the bait has been taken, it's time for the switch; Tyler Bertuzzi should be captain of the Detroit Red Wings. Larkin was on pace for 61 pts this year, Bertuzzi was on pace for 55. Bertuzzi is a more fearless leader on the team, and Bertuzzi has more personality than the rest of the team combined. He's one of the few players on this team that showed up for all 71 games. Besides Glendening I'm not sure we have a more hardworking or resilient player than him. Plus instead of slamming sticks and helmets he slams opponents faces. Any critique you have of Glendening being too mediocre can't be said of Tyler.

But his uncle once murdered a man during a game.  It's like having a guy named Dahmer as our captain.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

4 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

But his uncle once murdered a man during a game.  It's like having a guy named Dahmer as our captain.  

Not murdered, crippled. Which begs the question; Is ChrisReevesLegs opposed to a captain that puts opponents in wheelchairs?

28 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

C: Bertuzzi
A: Glendening
A: Dekeyser (soon replaced by Seider)

Not only is Larkin not going to be named captain, but Yzerman is also going to strip him of his A... :lol:

I don't disagree that Larkin would make a fine captain on the ice. It's the captains job to whine and complain to the refs, and Larkin has certainly proved he's a whiney lil ***** most of the time with all his stick slamming and helmet tossing. I just wonder how his fussy little tantrums rub off on the guys in the lockeroom. I gotta think behind closed doors a more manly cool guy like Bertuzzi is the one guys really look up to.