• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

Glendog for Captain

Rate this topic

I'd not be thrilled with Larkin as the captain as I think he's overrated on and off the ice...  but I can live with it.

Bringing Blashill back when there are 2 very good options readily available makes no sense to me... I'll likely never understand why.

37 minutes ago, mackel said:

I'd not be thrilled with Larkin as the captain as I think he's overrated on and off the ice...  but I can live with it.

Bringing Blashill back when there are 2 very good options readily available makes no sense to me... I'll likely never understand why.

There's a good chance Grand Master Y spoke to both Gallant, and Laviolette, and neither wanted the job.

If that's the case - then it's probably best to ride it out - as in the Wings won't be playing until Dec/Jan, and it'll likely be a shortened season which will be Blashill's last under his current contract.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't disagree that Larkin would make a fine captain on the ice. It's the captains job to whine and complain to the refs, and Larkin has certainly proved he's a whiney lil ***** most of the time with all his stick slamming and helmet tossing. I just wonder how his fussy little tantrums rub off on the guys in the lockeroom. I gotta think behind closed doors a more manly cool guy like Bertuzzi is the one guys really look up to.

I would agree that Bertuzzi makes a good wing man. I think every team captain needs one of those. Sorta like the buddy cop thing.  Larkin is Joe Friday and Bertuzzi is whoever the Tom Hanks character was. Or Larkin is Murtaugh and Bertuzzi is Riggs.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

personally I just wouldn't name a Captain at the moment.

With that said I find it ludicrous to say Larkin's overrated. He's filling the 1C spot on one of the worst teams in modern NHL history with basically zero support, and he's still just 23. I find it hilarious when people suggest we trade one of the only players who ever seems to actually care and give full effort on a consistent basis. I'm not saying he's elite atm, but rather that he's doing an admirable job given the circumstances. Trying to produce while being the only line a team needs to focus on and shut down on any given night is not easy, I imagine. 

As for the coaches, is it that hard to understand that maybe they just don't want to be here? Or maybe that what Yzerman actually said about not being able to judge a coaching staff with this terrible roster might just be true? There's a couple coaches I would've liked, but at the end of the day I don't really care that we kept Blashill for now. 

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

1 hour ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

With that said I find it ludicrous to say Larkin's overrated. He's filling the 1C spot on one of the worst teams in modern NHL history with basically zero support, and he's still just 23. I find it hilarious when people suggest we trade one of the only players who ever seems to actually care and give full effort on a consistent basis. I'm not saying he's elite atm, but rather that he's doing an admirable job given the circumstances. Trying to produce while being the only line a team needs to focus on and shut down on any given night is not easy, I imagine. 

As for the coaches, is it that hard to understand that maybe they just don't want to be here? Or maybe that what Yzerman actually said about not being able to judge a coaching staff with this terrible roster might just be true? There's a couple coaches I would've liked, but at the end of the day I don't really care that we kept Blashill for now. 

I wouldn't name a captain soley so we can name Seider captain the season after

With coaches also consider that maybe Yzerman wanted Lambert out of NYI. Yzerman had till today to exercise his buyout option on Blash, but Lambert has to get ready to coach the Islanders playoffs now. Rona threw a huge wrench directly into that timeline if that's the case. Best to just stick with the bald idiot.

It's kind of hard to bring in a new coach now when you don't know when the draft, training camp, free agency and season start. Considering a HC has input into draft picks and free agent signings, implements his systems during training camp, and needs time to prepare his team for a new season, it wouldn't make sense to make a change this off season.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You literally just started a thread advocating for Glendening as captain.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

With coaches also consider that maybe Yzerman wanted Lambert out of NYI. Yzerman had till today to exercise his buyout option on Blash, but Lambert has to get ready to coach the Islanders playoffs now. Rona threw a huge wrench directly into that timeline if that's the case. Best to just stick with the bald idiot.

I'm not sure about the season after but I would like to see what kind of person Seider develops into on/off the ice as well. He appears to have some natural leadership qualities that are clearly visible during games. Bascially I'm just in no hurry to name a captain at this point, just keep doing the A's thing until an obvious choice emerges. Right now everyone of our reasonable options are pretty darn young still, outside of a short term choice like Glendening, to your point. But I don't want a short term choice. 

18 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I'm not sure about the season after but I would like to see what kind of person Seider develops into on/off the ice as well. He appears to have some natural leadership qualities that are clearly visible during games. Bascially I'm just in no hurry to name a captain at this point, just keep doing the A's thing until an obvious choice emerges. Right now everyone of our reasonable options are pretty darn young still, outside of a short term choice like Glendening, to your point. But I don't want a short term choice. 

I personally hate not having a captain, but if I didn't think there was a logical choice (Larkin) already on the team, I'd probably agree. Larkin being named captain isn't really a question of if, but a question of when. And now we know he will be named before the start of next season. He's been being groomed for it ever since his rookie season, playing on Zetterberg's wing, and sitting next to him in the room.

19 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Good for you, I find it ludicrous that anyone considers Larkin anything more than a quality 2nd line center...  but your entitled to your POV.

It's a good point that maybe Turk and Lambert didn't want to coach this dumpster fire of a team.

28 minutes ago, mackel said:

Good for you, I find it ludicrous that anyone considers Larkin anything more than a quality 2nd line center...  but your entitled to your POV.

It's a good point that maybe Turk and Lambert didn't want to coach this dumpster fire of a team.

Seriously, how much is it going to pain you when Larkin proves to be a legit 1C and Zadina proves to be a legit top line winger? It's like you're trying to hope them falling short into existence... Sad...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Seriously, how much is it going to pain you when Larkin proves to be a legit 1C and Zadina proves to be a legit top line winger? It's like you're trying to hope them falling short into existence... Sad...

Since neither likely will I won't feel any pain.  Now should one or both follow your fairytale narrative I'll be happy to be wrong.

20 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It's kind of hard to bring in a new coach now when you don't know when the draft, training camp, free agency and season start. Considering a HC has input into draft picks and free agent signings, implements his systems during training camp, and needs time to prepare his team for a new season, it wouldn't make sense to make a change this off season.

You literally just started a thread advocating for Glendening as captain.

Yeah I think Glendening is the right age and would make an admirable sorta interim captain while we wait for everyone else to age up

18 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

The biggest argument against Larkin for C is Seider, clearly. Basically my entire argument around Glendening for C rests on the real goal of creating time for Seider to receive the C.

43en8m.jpg

If Seider was just another great - but typical quiet passive European personality the Wings are used to drafting - I'd be much more inclined to just say Larkin's been groomed, he's the hometown lad, just give it to him. But Seider isn't that guy at all. We've all seen his big personality on camera, and we've seen his leadership on the ice now, and it's impressive. Impressiveness enough that I want to wait.

Before the draft I really just liked Seider for his play. There was a few comments out there from his coach about how mature and confident he was, but you kinda take that with a grain of salt. Then he gets drafted and it's immediately clear, wow, this kid lights up a room. He's glowing. Maybe his coach wasn't joking. Then if you remember prospect camp, he comes right in and is telling guys where to go and what to do, jabbering on the bench at everyone, and gets aggressive with the Hawks Dach immediately. You could tell the moment he came out of that lockerroom, he was the quarter back, he was the big dick, and despite older guys like Smith being out there he was gonna lead the boys. Down the line he gets named captain of the German team and plays like a half hour a game leading the German juniors. He steps on to the Griffins and is immediately arguably the best player on the team. The picture of a future NHL captain is being painted here. Larkin had the same picture painted for him, but Larkin's was mostly based on being a normal guy who's just really good at hockey. I would definitely say - even if Seider turns out to be less valuable of a player than Larkin is - he exhibits way more true qualities of leadership and more propensity to being a captain.

I would hate to find ourselves in a situation in the future where Larkin clearly isn't the lockerroom leader anymore but still has the C. I just want us to get this decision right the first time. Going without a captain for 1 or 2 more years while we suck and tank isn't that bad of a cost to pay even if we end up choosing Larkin anyway.

Who know's, maybe we get Lafren and he outshines both Larkin and Seider by a mile. It will be kinda sucky if we have the next Mario Lemieux on our roster but we rushed to name Larkin captain before he could earn it. 

18 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I personally hate not having a captain, but if I didn't think there was a logical choice (Larkin) already on the team, I'd probably agree. Larkin being named captain isn't really a question of if, but a question of when. And now we know he will be named before the start of next season. He's been being groomed for it ever since his rookie season, playing on Zetterberg's wing, and sitting next to him in the room.

I think you're probably right here. I won't mind it, and I think he'll probably make a good Captain. To CRL's point though I just hope he loses a bit of that petulant attitude, or at least makes it significantly less overt. He's only 23 though so I'm not worried about it. 

4 hours ago, mackel said:

I mean, statistically it isn't ludicrous at all and supports me much more than you. But to call a 23 year old who nobody really touts that highly anyway overrated is just unreasonable in and of itself. Though you being unreasonable and having the argumentative depth of a puddle isn't really new at all, so carry on. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yeah I think Glendening is the right age and would make an admirable sorta interim captain while we wait for everyone else to age up

The biggest argument against Larkin for C is Seider, clearly. Basically my entire argument around Glendening for C rests on the real goal of creating time for Seider to receive the C.

43en8m.jpg

I would hate to find ourselves in a situation in the future where Larkin clearly isn't the lockerroom leader anymore but still has the C. I just want us to get this decision right the first time. Going without a captain for 1 or 2 more years while we suck and tank isn't that bad of a cost to pay even if we end up choosing Larkin anyway.

I didn't know Captain was a lifetime appointment. Captains get changed all the time. What is the harm in giving Larkin a chance to prove himself in the role he's been groomed for?

8 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Gonna be Seider

Nope.

C= Larkin

A= Seider, Bertuzzi

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I didn't know Captain was a lifetime appointment. Captains get changed all the time. What is the harm in giving Larkin a chance to prove himself in the role he's been groomed for?

It pretty much is unless player X is traded. Stripping Larkin of the C down the road is worse than appointing Glendening for a few years IMHO.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Keep hoping man...

Fairytales DO come true...

Look in a mirror and say just that.  FYI you don't have to constantly bring up the fact you disagree with me... I know you do and so does anyone who's been on LGW in the last 5 months... your not gonna change my mind.

2 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I think you're probably right here. I won't mind it, and I think he'll probably make a good Captain. To CRL's point though I just hope he loses a bit of that petulant attitude, or at least makes it significantly less overt. He's only 23 though so I'm not worried about it. 

I mean, statistically it isn't ludicrous at all and supports me much more than you. But to call a 23 year old who nobody really touts that highly anyway overrated is just unreasonable in and of itself. Though you being unreasonable and having the argumentative depth of a puddle isn't really new at all, so carry on. 

I did an analysis of every team in the league for KRSMITH on this very subject... it's in some old thread (feel free to track it down)... statistically Larkin slots as a 2C on more teams than he does as a 1C and on a number of teams he slots in as the 3C...  but yes puddle, since I hold a view different than your own... gotcha

38 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It pretty much is unless player X is traded. Stripping Larkin of the C down the road is worse than appointing Glendening for a few years IMHO.

I agree with this. However, there will be no need to strip Larkin of the C. He will be a great captain. Seider will be a great alternate captain. Like you've been saying, the captain does not necessarily need to be your best player, but in this case, Larkin will be the 1C and Seider will be the 1D. The question is, who will be the other A? Who knows? Who cares? Maybe Bertuzzi. Maybe Mantha. Maybe upcoming draft pick...

16 minutes ago, mackel said:

Look in a mirror and say just that.  FYI you don't have to constantly bring up the fact you disagree with me... I know you do and so does anyone who's been on LGW in the last 5 months... your not gonna change my mind.

Hey everyone, I disagree with *almost * everything mackel has to say hockey related. 

Larkin is / will be a 1C

Zadina is / will be a 1W (not a bust).

Blashill is a good (not great) coach.

19 minutes ago, mackel said:

I did an analysis of every team in the league for KRSMITH on this very subject... it's in some old thread (feel free to track it down)... statistically Larkin slots as a 2C on more teams than he does as a 1C and on a number of teams he slots in as the 3C...  but yes puddle, since I hold a view different than your own... gotcha

LOL 

You backed out of that debate because you knew how dumb and wrong you were...

Larkin tracks as a very good 2C, borderline 1C, right now. No way he improves beyond his 23 year old season though...

52 minutes ago, mackel said:

I won't search back thru hundreds of pages to find out where your analysis is coming from.

I will link 2 pages that show that Larkin has been a 1C in scoring over the last 2 seasons.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?season=2019&category=SCORING&group=1&sort=3&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

It was a down year for Dylan this season, but he still finished 58th in scoring among forwards. Eliminate the wingers and Larkin finishes at 31st among centers. Out of 31 teams, that would make him the last 1C in, but still a 1C despite playing on the worst offensively and lowest scoring team.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?season=2018&category=SCORING&group=1&sort=3&time=0&pos=1&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

This list puts him at 23rd among centers in scoring last season, making him comfortably a 1C.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

I bit the bullet and sifted through your nonsense, but see no actual analysis or what you're referring to outside of some stupid Staal/Bergeron comparison (shallow). I may have missed it or not looked back far enough, but I don't care that much to spend more time on it. Feel free to find it for me if you'd like.

I'll say again, statistically he's a 1C, It's real easy to figure this part out, so easy I'm not going to do it for you since anyone with any basic reasoning skills can figure out how. He does this while being the sole threat his team has to offer, which if you don't think is a massive disadvantage, you're delusional (color me shocked). 

13 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree with this. However, there will be no need to strip Larkin of the C. He will be a great captain. Seider will be a great alternate captain. Like you've been saying, the captain does not necessarily need to be your best player, but in this case, Larkin will be the 1C and Seider will be the 1D. The question is, who will be the other A? Who knows? Who cares? Maybe Bertuzzi. Maybe Mantha. Maybe upcoming draft pick...

Hey everyone, I disagree with *almost * everything mackel has to say hockey related. 

Larkin is / will be a 1C

Zadina is / will be a 1W (not a bust).

Blashill is a good (not great) coach.

LOL 

You backed out of that debate because you knew how dumb and wrong you were...

Larkin tracks as a very good 2C, borderline 1C, right now. No way he improves beyond his 23 year old season though...

I didn't back out of the debate I definitively ended it with facts, not wistful unfounded optimism.  You were/are wrong; I showed that empirically and you're to dumb or stubborn to acknowledge it... that's on  you not me.

13 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I won't search back thru hundreds of pages to find out where your analysis is coming from.

I will link 2 pages that show that Larkin has been a 1C in scoring over the last 2 seasons.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?season=2019&category=SCORING&group=1&sort=3&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

It was a down year for Dylan this season, but he still finished 58th in scoring among forwards. Eliminate the wingers and Larkin finishes at 31st among centers. Out of 31 teams, that would make him the last 1C in, but still a 1C despite playing on the worst offensively and lowest scoring team.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?season=2018&category=SCORING&group=1&sort=3&time=0&pos=1&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

This list puts him at 23rd among centers in scoring last season, making him comfortably a 1C.

You're lazy and you suck.

2 hours ago, mackel said:

I didn't back out of the debate I definitively ended it with facts, not wistful unfounded optimism.  You were/are wrong; I showed that empirically and you're to dumb or stubborn to acknowledge it... that's on  you not me.

There is zero evidence that supports either of your dumbass claims that "Larkin is at best, a 2nd line center", or "Zadina is a bust". Zero.

Larkin has performed as an average to below average top line center the past two seasons. He's still only 23 years old, and will most definitely improve in all areas of the game. He will be considered a legit 1C through his prime years. Zadina performed as a top six winger this past season, on a terrible team. He's still only 20 years old, and has played less than half an NHL season. He will also only get better, and be considered a legit top six (at worst) winger through his prime years. 

Of course there's no proof to back up a projection, but there is proof on how they have performed thus far. Look at basic stats, advanced stats, try watching a game, listen / read the opinions of NHL players, coaches, general managers, hockey analysts, etc. You (and a handful of idiots) are the only ones that don't see what the rest of us see.

No matter how much you hope to be right on Larkin and Zadina failing to meet expectations, they won't...

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

There is zero evidence that supports either of your dumbass claims that "Larkin is at best, a 2nd line center", or "Zadina is a bust". Zero.

Larkin has performed as an average to below average top line center the past two seasons. He's still only 23 years old, and will most definitely improve in all areas of the game. He will be considered a legit 1C through his prime years. Zadina performed as a top six winger this past season, on a terrible team. He's still only 20 years old, and has played less than half an NHL season. He will also only get better, and be considered a legit top six (at worst) winger through his prime years. 

Of course there's no proof to back up a projection, but there is proof on how they have performed thus far. Look at basic stats, advanced stats, try watching a game, listen / read the opinions of NHL players, coaches, general managers, hockey analysts, etc. You (and a handful of idiots) are the only ones that don't see what the rest of us see.

No matter how much you hope to be right on Larkin and Zadina failing to meet expectations, they won't...

Would please stop attacking me with every post...  I'm not going to be bullied into agreeing with with you... I've voiced my opinion, I've made my case with facts...  you don't like that I'm likely right and you're dream world is challenged...  I get it...  but I'm sick an tired of your s***.  Notice how you incited this entire back and forth and the last one and the one before that, because you can't handle someone disagreeing with your lazy homer take....  again I get it. 

30 minutes ago, mackel said:

Would please stop attacking me with every post...  I'm not going to be bullied into agreeing with with you... I've voiced my opinion, I've made my case with facts...  you don't like that I'm likely right and you're dream world is challenged...  I get it...  but I'm sick an tired of your s***.  Notice how you incited this entire back and forth and the last one and the one before that, because you can't handle someone disagreeing with your lazy homer take....  again I get it. 

Attacking you? LoL, you literally called me dumb in your previous post...

Bullying you? LOL

You've definitely voiced your opinion. You voice your opinion on Larkin and Zadina every time their names are mentioned. You voice your opinion on Larkin and Zadina, even when their names aren't mentioned...

You definitely haven't supported your opinion with any real "facts". Unless of course you consider posting Yakupov's stats -> Yakupov = bust, therefore Zadina = bust, as facts...

You are not "likely right". In fact, you are very unlikely to be right. Sure, there's an small chance Larkin's play up until now has been a complete fluke, and he *regresses* to an average 2C, but it's definitely not likely... Sure, there's an small chance Zadina breaks both arms and both legs, and never recovers, and goes back to Russia next season, but it's definitely not likely...

I don't think you really are sick and tired of my s***. If you were, why do you continue to argue back and forth with me, but won't engage with anyone else that is challenging your dumb opinions?

Call me a homer all you want. Doesn't bother me a bit. I'd prefer to be overly optimistic about the team I cheer for, rather than overly pessimistic about the team you supposedly cheer for...