• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ed cook

Five years now no winning team

Rate this topic

The Wings have plenty of talent but Blashill does not know how to use them .The 2019 season started the wings won 5 straight the coach started to move players around on the lines. and did it for fives years. He needs to recognize what the players have for potential and the one who played this season (19-20 ) Blashill when you put the three lines or the four do not move the around they need to get use to playing with each line mate and after a while they will get to know where they will be or anticipate where their line mates are and will be on plays attacking the other team..

I find myself in an odd situation. I hate Blashill. I never wanted him to replace Babcock. Yet here I am defending him now.

Look, the fans wanted to "rebuild" and wanted a "players coach" who can train kids. Well you got it. We're in a full on rebuild with a youth centric coach. You got what you wanted, You don't get to complain now. Stop and think to yourself right now how lucky we are that Yzerman exists. REALLY. Think about it. Any other team and we would be royally f***ed right now. But here we go, we're spoiled wings fans so we get big names right away. Yet Yzerman is gonna need many years to turn over this team cause we're that bad. Larkin is is our best forward and hes a good 2n liner. Don't blame Blashill, we have many years of trying to fix this thing.

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I find myself in an odd situation. I hate Blashill. I never wanted him to replace Babcock. Yet here I am defending him now.

Look, the fans wanted to "rebuild" and wanted a "players coach" who can train kids. Well you got it. We're in a full on rebuild with a youth centric coach. You got what you wanted, You don't get to complain now. Stop and think to yourself right now how lucky we are that Yzerman exists. REALLY. Think about it. Any other team and we would be royally f***ed right now. But here we go, we're spoiled wings fans so we get big names right away. Yet Yzerman is gonna need many years to turn over this team cause we're that bad. Larkin is is our best forward and hes a good 2n liner. Don't blame Blashill, we have many years of trying to fix this thing.

I agree and disagree with you on this...  I really think a new voice is needed, it seemed to me players were tuning him out, given some of the horrid performances we saw last year.  BUT if you wan to build through the draft I guess Blash is a good choice behind the bench.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

I agree and disagree with you on this...  I really think a new voice is needed, it seemed to me players were tuning him out, given some of the horrid performances we saw last year.  BUT if you wan to build through the draft I guess Blash is a good choice behind the bench.

Players probably are tuning him out. I don't blame them. He's an idiot.

But Yzerman isn't looking to turn this team around next season. He's looking for his high draft pick. And an idiot coach who's good with kids serves that purpose nicely.

Folks who were so adamant about replacing Babcok with Blash. Take the gun out of your mouth. We forgive you.

I don't really understand how getting blown out every night and going on multiple 10 game losing streaks makes him a good coach for young players.  Like if we were losing 3-1 or 4-2 and we saw improvement from younger players, I would be defending him.  Honestly, for me, its not the losing, its HOW we're losing.  So many games were pretty much over after the first period because we're down 3-0 or 4-0.  At what point is getting blown out detrimental to the morale of young players learning to play at the NHL level?  

In regards to the topic, I think if we win the lottery, 5 years from now, Blashill will be gone and we'll be a playoff team.  Heck, I'm thinking 2-3 years from now we'll be back in the playoffs if we win the lottery.

Yeah but this team wasnt all kids. There were still quite a few Holland vets left over that knew this team was bad before the season even started. I think those were the guys who became the paycheck collectors, which is a shame considering those were the guys who should have been the leaders in the locker room and setting the example on the ice.

I dont think it was all attributable to just tuning out Blash. I think it was a combination of playing for a bad team, playing for a development coach, declining skills, and the physical toll from being aged players that caused the vets to just call it in every game.

The kids, for the most part, seemed to at least try. I had no complaints with the attitudes of Mantha, Bert, Zadina, or Ehn, for example. But without the proper leadership, you probably can't expect the best from all of your kids.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, xtrememachine1 said:

I don't really understand how getting blown out every night and going on multiple 10 game losing streaks makes him a good coach for young players.  Like if we were losing 3-1 or 4-2 and we saw improvement from younger players, I would be defending him.  Honestly, for me, its not the losing, its HOW we're losing.  So many games were pretty much over after the first period because we're down 3-0 or 4-0.  At what point is getting blown out detrimental to the morale of young players learning to play at the NHL level?  

In regards to the topic, I think if we win the lottery, 5 years from now, Blashill will be gone and we'll be a playoff team.  Heck, I'm thinking 2-3 years from now we'll be back in the playoffs if we win the lottery.

Good point. I've almost forgotten at this point how truly of an embarrassment we were. No coach should be able to survive that for as long as Blashill has already, let alone come back for another season.

Sadly, It likely comes down to what @Barrie said. Why would any decent coach want to come here at this point just to tank their own career?

29 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Sadly, It likely comes down to what @Barrie said. Why would any decent coach want to come here at this point just to tank their own career?

Because they think they can make a difference? A good coach would think so. 

Yzerman is wrong when he says we need to improve the team first to judge the coach. The record under Blashill is not only a testament to his players. Hiring a better/good coach is a way to improve the team.

A good coach is not the icing on the cake. Its fundamental. 

Edited by Akakabuto

Maybe too, our last Cup was ONLY 12 years ago, and we won 4 between 1997-2008. For example, Babcock going to the Leafs, he wanted to be the guy who would bring Toronto their first Cup since 1967. It didn't happen, but still he wanted to be the guy.

Again, I would like a new coach, but there's probably not guys lining up to coach the Wings, now.

2 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Yzerman is wrong when he says we need to improve the team first to judge the coach. The record under Blashill is not only a testament to his players. Hiring a better/good coach is a way to improve the team.

More like the prawns or mayonnaise on the cake

1 hour ago, Barrie said:

Maybe too, our last Cup was ONLY 12 years ago, and we won 4 between 1997-2008. For example, Babcock going to the Leafs, he wanted to be the guy who would bring Toronto their first Cup since 1967. It didn't happen, but still he wanted to be the guy.

Again, I would like a new coach, but there's probably not guys lining up to coach the Wings, now.

That's part of it fersure. But Toronto was also well into a rebuild already and was poised to start coming up the standings. When Babs joined them they already had the Shanahan brain trust going, 4th overall Marner, 5th overall Reilly, 8th overall Nylander, and multiple other young players coming up. Matthews was really the only major piece that came after Babs unless you count free agents and trades. Babs saw a rising ship and jumped off our sinking one. Even if the Toronto job wasn't available I think he would have opted to go somewhere else. He's a career-centric ego-driven opportunist just like Bowman was. 

On 6/1/2020 at 4:32 AM, Ed cook said:

The Wings have plenty of talent but Blashill does not know how to use them .The 2019 season started the wings won 5 straight the coach started to move players around on the lines. and did it for fives years. He needs to recognize what the players have for potential and the one who played this season (19-20 ) Blashill when you put the three lines or the four do not move the around they need to get use to playing with each line mate and after a while they will get to know where they will be or anticipate where their line mates are and will be on plays attacking the other team..

Fans of every team complain about their coaches changing up the lines too often. They also complain about their coaches ruining their young talent.

Granted, at this point in time, Blashill's body of work is practically begging for a thrashing. I'm just saying that these things that a lot of people seem to think are unique to the Wings are not at all unique to the Wings. If we replace Blashill right now, the new coach likely changes up the lines too often for our liking and doesn't get much more out of our players than Blashill did.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:06 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yeah but this team wasnt all kids. There were still quite a few Holland vets left over that knew this team was bad before the season even started. I think those were the guys who became the paycheck collectors, which is a shame considering those were the guys who should have been the leaders in the locker room and setting the example on the ice.

I dont think it was all attributable to just tuning out Blash. I think it was a combination of playing for a bad team, playing for a development coach, declining skills, and the physical toll from being aged players that caused the vets to just call it in every game.

The kids, for the most part, seemed to at least try. I had no complaints with the attitudes of Mantha, Bert, Zadina, or Ehn, for example. But without the proper leadership, you probably can't expect the best from all of your kids.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: One day we're going to learn that there were a lot of problems in the 2019-20 Wings' locker room. Remember when AA was traded and some reporter quoted an unnamed veteran Wing who said something to the effect of "The kid just doesn't get it. We all tried to help him. He wouldn't listen"? That was a glimpse behind the curtain. I'm guessing it was just the tip of the iceberg. Not about AA specifically. Just general behind-the-scenes drama.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:05 PM, Akakabuto said:

Fair point. But I agree with those who are saying the real problem is likely a lack of interest from potential Blashill replacements/upgrades.