• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WRusco

Robby Fabbri Extended

Rate this topic

I am not unhappy with this. He did average .6 PPG, Bert was slightly higher and Mantha was about .88. We all knew Mantha was going to cost us at least $5.5M, I can see Bert getting about $3.25M - $3.5M. I'd be ok with Mantha around $6M. With Fabbri's contract we still have $33M available PLUS Z's LTIR if needed. We have to get these guys signed and make them happy (enough) to understand that they are part of this core. Our other RFA's will not cost anywhere near this amount. We will be ok. Yzerman will still have room to acquire a contract if he wants to, or go in on a UFA if he'd like, or more than one of each!

Edited by LeftWinger

36 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Wow, a 350% raise after one, half way decent, season. If that's the going rate then Mantha will be making about $15 million AAV and Bertuzzi about $9 million AAV before the summer is over. Atta boy Stevie.

Yeah - a bit of an over payment, but with it being a 2 year deal - I don't mind it.

As for Bertuzzi - I can see him inking a 3 to 5 year deal in the $4.75 to $5.5 range...Not sure about Mantha considering his history of negotiations (apparently his agent is pretty tough to deal with), and his overall health.

If there's any issues between Mantha/Yzerman - I could see Yzerman move him at the draft - say for Montreal's 16th overall pick?

In alot of my arm-chair GM setups I had Fabbri at $3.75M, so this is nice. I am not so sure that Bert gets over $4M. 3 @ $3.75M sounds good. Mantha between $5.75M and $6M looks nice for another 3 years. Of course the year Larkin signed his $6.1M he averaged .76PPG, again Mantha was at .88 last season. So he may garner a bit more than Larkin. $6.5M would be tops in my book. Honestly, if he wants to be a tough negotiator,then qualify him, offer him the $5.75M and let him go to arbitration with his request. If he wants more than $6.5M, then I would just as well deal him to another team. Maybe Holland will pay him. They are always throwing Nurse's name around in trades, so I'll send them Mantha and Hirose for Nurse and their 1st.

anyhow, this is not the off season thread, so I will go back there if I have anything else to add not pertaining to Fabbri.

Edited by LeftWinger

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Wow, a 350% raise after one, half way decent, season. If that's the going rate then Mantha will be making about $15 million AAV and Bertuzzi about $9 million AAV before the summer is over. Atta boy Stevie.

MASSIVE overpayment. How will he ever live up to such a lofty contract?...

I'm not really that shocked that the dumbass that said "I don't like Robby Fabbri" just a few days ago, is upset with this very reasonable signing though.

Fabbri was one of the Wings best players last season, which isn't setting the bar high, but still, it means something. He's a top six winger, and definitely worth this contract. What does he have to do next season to prove it? 30+ points. Since he hit that mark in only 52 games last season, I'm pretty confident he will do so again next season.

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Uh oh. A 2 year sub 3M contract for a middle six winger? The stakes have never been higher! Yzerman better watch his back. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Uh oh. A 2 year sub 3M contract for a middle six winger? The stakes have never been higher! Yzerman better watch his back. 

It's a clear sign that he's going to overpay Mantha and Bertuzzi by 2 - 2.5 x what they're worth...

4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I mean, I could be wrong. Clearly Yzerman would never throw large bad contracts at mediocre talent. Of course, excluding Matt Carle, and Valtteri Filppula (the first time), and Ryan Callahan, and Jason Garrison, and Andrej Sustr, and Braydon Coburn. Obviously the guy who signed those contracts understands the true value of a hockey player.

36 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I mean, I could be wrong. Clearly Yzerman would never throw large bad contracts at mediocre talent. Of course, excluding Matt Carle, and Valtteri Filppula (the first time), and Ryan Callahan, and Jason Garrison, and Andrej Sustr, and Braydon Coburn. Obviously the guy who signed those contracts understands the true value of a hockey player.

Omg it's a 2 year contract. Get over it. It in no way hurts the team. If he plays poorly we get burned a little bit. If he plays really good we win. We have tons of cap, and nothing to spend it on anyway. 

3 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

Omg it's a 2 year contract. Get over it. It in no way hurts the team. If he plays poorly we get burned a little bit. If he plays really good we win. We have tons of cap, and nothing to spend it on anyway. 

Oh, well in that case it's a really good contract. I stand corrected. Lemme try again...

Hey guys you see that new Fabbri contract? Big win for Yzerman here. I know it probably seems like Fabbri's injury history, combined with the fact that he's never scored 40 pts in a season, means he should have earned less on a one year "show me" contract, but as my grandmother always says, "you didn't overpay as long as you've got more money to throw away".

1 hour ago, marcaractac said:

I'm baffled by any complaints about this contract. It's zero risk, even when factoring in injury history. No trouble to tell some folks were just dying for some news to complain about. 

kip clearly has an agenda on this one. He just admitted a few days ago that he doesn't like Fabbri, despite him being one of the more skilled players on the team, and overall seems like a pretty likable player... Also on said agenda, he clearly doesn't like Yzerman as a general manager, and has said as much on several occasions now, along with the rest of the "old boys club" management group in Detroit.

There's literally nothing to not like about this contract. Worst case scenario, injuries persist (I doubt it), and he still puts up 30+ points in half seasons for the next two seasons (still worth $2.95M per). Best case scenario, he stays relatively healthy, and becomes the 50 point winger, he has shown he could be (worth much more than $2.95M).

6 minutes ago, CatBoyRossi said:

Gentlmen,

Bad player. Bad contract. Would have been a very valuable trade player at the deadline.

Oh well. Regards,

Or possibly be 1 of the players we need to have exposed for the upcoming expansion draft?

3 hours ago, marcaractac said:

I'm baffled by any complaints about this contract. It's zero risk, even when factoring in injury history. No trouble to tell some folks were just dying for some news to complain about. 

Since I'm the only one "complaining" I'll respond to this. Nobody was saying the contract is a risk to the team. I'm simply implying it's an overpayment. Both can be true. If the threshold for "bad contract" is that it materially hurts the team then nobody should be complaining about Ericsson, Abby, Helm, or Nielsen either. None of those contracts have hurt the club, but ALL of them were over paid.

Although now that I think about it, this contact sorta DOES hurt the team. Because when you sign mediocre guys to a premium while you've still got other RFAs (Mantha, Bertuzzi) to sign, you've just sent a message to their agents that they should demand A LOT of money. If you're giving out MASSIVE raises to Robby Fabbri for a partial season's worth of decent work then why would Mantha or Bertuzzi expect anything less than a massive raise and overpayment? You gonna play hardball with Mantha and Bert but not Fabbri? That doesn't send a good message to young talent. Plus, Toronto has recently shown that overpaying young talent (Marner and Nylander), as opposed to using the leverage of restricted free agency, does have significant drawbacks when it comes to cap flexibility down the road.

Edited by kipwinger

10 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Since I'm the only one "complaining" I'll respond to this. Nobody was saying the contract is a risk to the team. I'm simply implying it's an overpayment. Both can be true. If the threshold for "bad contract" is that it materially hurts the team then nobody should be complaining about Ericsson, Abby, Helm, or Nielsen either. None of those contracts have hurt the club, but ALL of them were over paid.

Although now that I think about it, this contact sorta DOES hurt the team. Because when you sign mediocre guys to a premium while you've still got other RFAs (Mantha, Bertuzzi) to sign, you've just sent a message to their agents that they should demand A LOT of money. If you're giving out MASSIVE raises to Robby Fabbri for a partial season's worth of decent work then why would Mantha or Bertuzzi expect anything less than a massive raise and overpayment? You gonna play hardball with Mantha and Bert but not Fabbri? That doesn't send a good message to young talent. Plus, Toronto has recently shown that overpaying young talent (Marner and Nylander), as opposed to using the leverage of restricted free agency, does have significant drawbacks when it comes to cap flexibility down the road.

Making less than 3 million per year in being paid a premium now? He was on pace for ~50 points. He got a 2 year deal to prove himself. You're looking at his contract in terms of a raise. That's not how sports contracts works. Players get paid based on their production. His previous contract has nothing to do with it. There is no way in hell Mantha and Bert are looking at this saying "ooooo, we're due for a 350% raise". That's not how it works... 

And comparing this to Marner or Nylander? They went from ELCs to huge money. Fabbri signed a bridge deal. You're either out to lunch or massively bored and trolling, in which case I took the bait. 

16 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If the threshold for "bad contract" is that it materially hurts the team then nobody should be complaining about Ericsson, Abby, Helm, or Nielsen either. None of those contracts have hurt the club, but ALL of them were over paid.

Those contracts were all given out when we were a way better team and bound for the playoffs...they all ended up hurting the team a bit, I think anyway.

21 minutes ago, Wings3:16 said:

Those contracts were all given out when we were a way better team and bound for the playoffs...they all ended up hurting the team a bit, I think anyway.

How? Name a single guy we wanted to sign, but couldn't, because we didn't have cap space? Name a single pick or prospect we traded away (a la Patrick Marleau) to open up cap space?  It didn't happen.

24 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Making less than 3 million per year in being paid a premium now? He was on pace for ~50 points. He got a 2 year deal to prove himself. You're looking at his contract in terms of a raise. That's not how sports contracts works. Players get paid based on their production. His previous contract has nothing to do with it. There is no way in hell Mantha and Bert are looking at this saying "ooooo, we're due for a 350% raise". That's not how it works... 

And comparing this to Marner or Nylander? They went from ELCs to huge money. Fabbri signed a bridge deal. You're either out to lunch or massively bored and trolling, in which case I took the bait. 

So if you're Anthony Mantha's agent, and Robby Fabbri just got 2.9 million dollars a year based on his "pace", you're telling me you're not asking for 8 million to start? Same with Bert. If I'm his agent I'm definitely starting at 6.5 or 7. Sure both of them will come down a bit, but in an ideal world you'd want Mantha at around 6 million and Bert around 5 million. And if you WOULDN'T ask for that money you'd be a horrible agent because the GM just proved his willingness to overspend my almost a million and a half dollars per year.

And I DO think Nylander and Marner are relevant. Dubas hamstrung his team because he didn't use RFA leverage when he could have. And both of those players had a better track record of success than any of our guys do. And because he overpaid them he lost a 1st round pick in the Marleau trade to free up additional cap space. Something he may have to do again this year. So it's not like the pitfalls of overpaying RFAs are hard to imagine.